Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Ministry

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Okay, that was actually really hilarious, and it's a very welcome turn from what I was expecting (more thrash-Ministry). His vocals sound really good. I'm keeping an eye on this one now.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Well shit. That came from out of nowhere. And I was only expecting just another metal album. Pretty cool. Repetitive, but cool. Very nice change of pace.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Awesome

10chr

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Bells Into Machines did a cover of So What, which happens to be one of my favorite songs from ministry.
    Pretty cool even though it sounds more like a remix than an actual cover to me.
    I wonder what the actual finished version would sound like if its not just a one off demo.

https://soundcloud.com/burning-city-...-what-2016demo

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I loved that.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Yeah I listened to it a couple times more and its really great but it can't top this masterpiece:
    Last edited by ziltoid; 04-02-2016 at 12:07 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Always room for Jello

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Always room for Jello
    I'm surprised he's still friends with Jello. It seems like he's one of the few musicians of the old Ministry era that he still works with. He has pretty much told everyone else to fuck off.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Always room for Jello

Eh, it's alright.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    ...so has anyone listened to the album yet? I'm seeing mixed reviews with some people saying it's a return to form and others saying it's just more of the same nonsense he's been churning out for the past 10 years.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    ...so has anyone listened to the album yet? I'm seeing mixed reviews with some people saying it's a return to form and others saying it's just more of the same nonsense he's been churning out for the past 10 years.
    A return to form?! Holy shit. No. Its possibly less worse than From Beer To Eternity, that's about as nice as I can be. But yeah, its absolutely fucking shite. Its just bad music, a waste of time.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Music is good. The lyrics not so much. Might've worked with genuine 90's output but now it just seems kinda random.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Return to form? Nah. Better and more focused than the last few releases though. Calling it better than albums like Last Sucker and Relapse isn't saying much though. You can tell he had some fun doing this though. Not sure what I'd rank it. But, it's a definite step up. That being said, it's not a return to form. It's not a great album. But, it's not a bad album either.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    that was a good read, some interesting choices too: http://thequietus.com/articles/20135...terview?page=1

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Animositisomina must have been a terrible experience for him. I remember that making-of video from the DVD and he looked completely uninterested about it (and his hair was dyed red!). That said, I still love this album.I'm guessing that Paul was responsible for most of the music, and I'm a HUGE fan of Barker's compositional skills. I'm dying to see him live with Puscifer. I know that Paul is generally seen as "the real brains behind Ministry", but I believe Al has always been a talented musician in his own right (though he's more known for his screaming than his guitar and keyboards skills).

The 5.1 mix of Animositisomina allows you to listen to just Paul's basslines, if you isolate the center channel. I can PM anyone who's interested.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Pretty new to Ministry. My favorite song is Scarecrow. Are the live albums good and what is considered the best album?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up is pretty good. Sphinctour is good as well. The others are just bush trilogy stuff.

Besr album? Psalm 69 is the most successful. Not sure if I can pick one. Anything Al touched between 86-96 are great. Including side projects.

Saw his rankings. Kind of a bummer that he ranked Twitch so low. But at least his reasoning was logical. Love that album. Found it funny that he botched about Robert Plant being a douche instead of talking about HOTM. Overall, I enjoyed reading it.

I love Animositsomia. Not the greatest. But it's pretty damn good. The tour is their best from what I hear.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    That will depend entirely on who you ask because Ministry have covered a LOT of genres over the years. How I'd classify them:

With Sympathy - Synthpop
    Twelve Inch Singles - Synthpop/New Wave
    Twitch - Industrial pop/EBM
    The Land Of Rape And Honey - Aggressive/Noise/Industrial/EBM
    The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste - Industrial rock/metal
    Psalm 69 - Industrial metal
    Filth Pig - Industrial sludge/doom metal
    Dark Side Of The Spoon - Industrial stoner sludge metal (it's a really weird album)
    Animositisomina - Industrial rock/metal
    Houses Of The Mole - Thrashy, moderately industrial metal
    Rio Grande Blood and everything after - Thrash metal

It depends what you're into. Ministry have their fans of the 90's industrial period who generally look down on the thrash years (guilty), and I've met fans of the thrash period who look down on basically everything that came before. And you've got a considerable amount of folks who despite it all prefer the early synthpop/new wave sound.

I'd define TLORAH as the most 'important' album. The group is most widely recognized as industrial pioneers and that one's considered a game-changer. But personally, I think Twitch is the best single package showing snippets of nearly everything Ministry are/were capable of. I'd check that one out to start.

For the live stuff, In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up is a classic. Toronto 1986 is essential if you like Twitch, Sphinctour is okay, and I haven't listened to Adios etc.

Also check out Revolting Cocks's first three albums. It's Al's other brainchild. A bit wackier and dancier. You honestly can't have Ministry without Revco.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    That's a loaded question!
    Everyone is going to have a different opinion on what is the best ministry album.

Keep in mind that ministry's style had changed a lot. I mean a whole lot.
    Throughout time since the beginning until now ministry's style has changed significantly.
    Basically you can divide Ministry's albums by era just by how they sound and what decade it was released in.

Since you stated that your favorite song is scarecrow I suggest you check out Psalm 69: The Way to succeed and the way to suck eggs.
    From there check out their two previous albums The mind is a terrible thing to taste and The land of Rape and Honey.
    Also check out Filth pig and Dark Side of the Spoon as well as their singles that have B-sides and rarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Saw his rankings. Kind of a bummer that he ranked Twitch so low. But at least his reasoning was logical. Love that album. Found it funny that he botched about Robert Plant being a douche instead of talking about HOTM. Overall, I enjoyed reading it.
    Can you provide a link to his ranking? I'm rather interested in what Uncle Al has to say about all his albums.
    Edit: Never mind I saw the link a couple posts before yours.
    Last edited by ziltoid; 04-28-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Go watch the In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up laserdisc rip. It's so sweet.

The Sphinctour DVD is great. Love how it's stitched together from numerous shows, and that the sound is the direct soundboard mix with no multitrack editing, as is stated on the credits (the 5.1 mix is a "meh" upmix, but, then again, they didn't have any multitracks to work with, so...). The Filth Pig tracks translated very well live.

The Adios... Puta Madres DVD has a few more old Ministry songs in its setlist as opposed to the CD of the same name (though I thought that the thrash-ified intro to "Thieves" was pretty silly). I think they put out TWO Blu-rays (a Relapse one and a From Beer... one) but I haven't bothered with those. All in stereo.

I like watching YouTube bootlegs from their 2003 Animositisomina tour. Like @Piko says, the band gave it their all, even if Al hated the record; they didn't play that many songs from it, which means that he didn't want to support it at all, even on its own promotional tour.

I recently watched a video of a 2015 performance and, before NWO started, Al said about the lyrics of the song "twenty fucking years and this is still happening".

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I really wish I could go back in time and be at one of those shows. It's by far my favorite line-up of Ministry.

That fucking drum fill in "So What" always gets me pumped.
    I wish Martin Atkins would still drum. Some of his best stuff is in The Damage Manual but, he adds that aura of pure badass to Ministry that still hasn't been reproduced.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Jorgensen's Top 11 Favorite Side Project Songs

All good picks, minus the last.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    All good picks
    Yeah, certainly not a bad list. Nice to see Apathy get a mention - that is a fantastic track. Not that it matters, but I understood the first 1,000 Homo DJs tracks were left overs from Land of Rape and Honey. Or did I dream that?
    I did have to get a bit annoyed with his Linger Ficken' Good choices - I absolutely love that album, and everyone should have a copy, but give me Creep, Dirt or Sergio any day. I'm not sure Crackin' Up or Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? are quite as funny as Al thinks they are.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Story is that 1000 Homo DJs are outtakes. It was something Jim Nash had apparently said to Al. Something like, "at least 1000 Homo DJs will hear them.". Paraphrasing.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Still blows my mind to see Richard 23 involved. Playing with the guy who replaced him. Pretty awesome though. I'd go apeshit if they made an album. Imo, Cocksure has only scratched the surface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    waaa

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Did anyone manage to check out the Bells Into Machines stream last night?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    New Ministry and Revolting Cocks album next year according to Al:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Looking forward to seeing Ministry in London on the 20th.