Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Ministry

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extar View Post
    I agree, there needs to be Paul Barker in the equation. Also, there needs to be more Lard: the Jourgensen side-project that never went downhill. All that said, HotM had some absolute killers on it.
    Max Brody was still on board on that album. After that is when everything Ministry just wilted. Plus the drummer at that time was pretty cool. If the dude would just say fuck being heavy and screaming all the time it would open more doors for him. Too bad he's too drunk to figure it out.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Please no more Lard. Unless you want it to go downhill as well real fast.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Unless your a meth smoking Texan metalhead....this record gets quite boring after a few listens. I quite liked the stupidity of it at first and the ferocious nastiness of it, is quite funny and charming for a couple of listens....but yeah then it gets boring....I have found any Ministry material since Animositisomnia really mediocre too. Which is weird cos i still listen to anything by Ministry between 1986-2003 loads....its timeless.

I didnt really notice the shift towards retarded metal band until i saw them live in 2006, the audience seemed really different, more thugs, a lot more violent and macho, big guys with their tops off swinging their arms about in the mosh pit....before that it was still mental but there seemed a different vibe. Most important thing is that the gig was not scary....Ministry gigs were always scary, only the Butthole Surfers gigs from the 1980's were more trippy.

At best in 2012 it would be cool to look forward to a record in a similar vein to Dark Side of the Spoon...but Ministry will always remain shit if Al continues to drink. Those recent videos of him are shocking, there is nothing dangerous or cool about his image now. Just get your shit together man! If Keith Richards can do it so can you!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Lard wouldn't reform anyways. I severely doubt that Jello Biafra would agree to it.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    are you kidding me? jello is an attention whore almost more than Al is! He'd sign up for anything that allows for flailing around being ridiculous on stage.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    except Lard isn't particularly known for live shows...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    fixtheministrymovie.com says the album is out today but I can't find where to purchase it? Does that just mean I can listen to it on spotify today but the only way to own it is to buy the dvd?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Almost positive there won't be another Lard album. Could've sworn I've seen an interview somewhere with Jello dismissing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Almost positive there won't be another Lard album. Could've sworn I've seen an interview somewhere with Jello dismissing it.
    I will cry myself to sleep tonight.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I saw Ministry in mid 2000's in san francisco. half the set was a lard set with jello acting like an asshole the whole time. sure it was entertaining tho.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I saw Ministry in Chicago in 2004 on Al's 45th birthday. At nearly the end of the show they wheeled out a giant prop cake onstage and Jello popped out all fat and beer-gutted in a cop shirt so he could do some spoken word action before launching into a couple Lard songs as an encore. It was pretty fucking awesome.

I bootlegged that shit and it turned out pretty well, too...I'll make sure to post it someday.

:)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Saw this update on Litany, and since I didn't see a thread on the Fix documentary on Ministry, so I thought I'd add it here.

http://www.fixtheministrymovie.com/

It's released tomorrow on their website. The DVD comes with a CD of new material from Paul Barker featuring Orge (Skinny Puppy) amongst others.

Here's what Paul had to say for Litany about their track, reSpite:::

I talked to Ogre about this fresh idea I had: make a generic thrash metal record and sing about current lame political woes using sesame street lyrics, but I still have all my teeth and wanted songs with a little more bite than that. After many hilarious phone calls a deal was struck: I write the music and he writes and sings the lyrics.

So I sent Ogre a rough song I wrote. Unfortunately, our schedules didn't allow us to track together, so he and Mark Walk sent me finished vocals and I finished the mix.

Not nearly as much fun as being together in the studio, but fun nonetheless. All 1's and 0's- very modern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    looks like the Fix movie has shipped. it was starting to feel like that project was never going to reach fruition, the included cd seems promising.

Relapse was meh, i don't really feel like continuing to beat on that dead horse, however the production seemed a little better than the last batch of ministry / revco records...

in some what related news, it's good to hear the newish chris connelly record "artificial madness" it never attempts to reach ministry levels of madness and chaos, but at least he's still out there, and the record is more rock and less crooning than most of his output over the last decade.

connelly's book "concrete, bulletproof, invisible and fried: my life as a revolting cock" should be required reading for fans of the ministry / waxtrax era.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if any soundboard bootlegs exist from DSOPS or Animositisomina tours?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    this fresh idea I had: make a generic thrash metal record and sing about current lame political woes using sesame street lyrics, but I still have all my teeth and wanted songs with a little more bite than that.
    ouch, very true and apt, but ouch.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So anyone get the DVD/CD set of Fix?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    yes. The film is worth seeing if you are/were a fan of the band's 80s/90s music. It was not what I expected. It's a portrait of a creative guy with a celebrated past at the peak of heroin addiction beginning a nasty slide into delusions and paranoia. Lots of great interviews and stories, but the time difference between core footage (96 ish) and interview footage (recent) makes it feel like an obituary. It abruptly starts and abruptly ends.

also, Barker's included album is more Ministry than anything in years. The first track doesn't work for me (that singer doesn't fit the music) but the rest of it is pretty good.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    yes. The film is worth seeing if you are/were a fan of the band's 80s/90s music. It was not what I expected. It's a portrait of a creative guy with a celebrated past at the peak of heroin addiction beginning a nasty slide into delusions and paranoia. Lots of great interviews and stories, but the time difference between core footage (96 ish) and interview footage (recent) makes it feel like an obituary. It abruptly starts and abruptly ends.

also, Barker's included album is more Ministry than anything in years. The first track doesn't work for me (that singer doesn't fit the music) but the rest of it is pretty good.
    i was (slightly) disappointed in some of the interviews, seemed like half of them really didn't have much to do with al / ministry, i had hoped that there would be more on the ministry process, and perhaps have included more from paul, chris or perhaps even atkins vs some of the included interviews from that drunk guy in the gothy black leather, navarro or maynard, or the guy with the dog for that matter. at least maynard & navarro were coherent and i suppose they did fill in some details on lifestyles of "rockstars" in general, even if they didn't have specifics on ministry or al.

still a good film, when the live performances were shown it was a nice reminder of just how awesome ministry used to be.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Anyone know if it's hit the internet? I can't find it yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I just received an e-mail about the release of Fix, directing to http://fixtheministrymovie.com/. After reading some comments here on the board, my interest about it slowed down... but the mail cites Trent and even has a pic of him in the site. Anyone saw the final movie? And what does TR have to say?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andre78 View Post
    I just received an e-mail about the release of Fix, directing to http://fixtheministrymovie.com/. After reading some comments here on the board, my interest about it slowed down... but the mail cites Trent and even has a pic of him in the site. Anyone saw the final movie? And what does TR have to say?
    on the whole, i enjoyed the film, definitely worth a watch if you're a ministry fan.

trent was a really good interview, he talks about his history w/ ministry a bit and his own struggles with substance abuse.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    flipping through the new release bin in the local record shop today and spotted this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Fixe...8920501&sr=8-2

wtf. Is any of this any good? The angelspit remix made it sorta tempting. Wish there was a date next to all the tracks to indicate vintage.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Holy shit it never ends with these cash-in releases

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    review (supposedly from Al himself): The re-recordings and remixes were great to hear. NWO was a good but I still favor the original. The Stigmata and Jesus Built My Hotrod Re-recordings and remixes I whole heartedly enjoyed. The remakes: Iron Man, Purple Haze, Paranoid, Thunderstruck, Sharp Dressed Man, Rehab, Paint It Black and Sweet Dreams(are made of these... ALL AMAZING! They brought back that industrial angst from my youth and merged it with timeless songs to leave me wanting MORE!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    LOL ^

What dismays me just as much as the crappy covers, lousy remixes and generic form is how awful the album artwork has gotten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    LOL ^

What dismays me just as much as the crappy covers, lousy remixes and generic form is how awful the album artwork has gotten.
    i'm not sure who is to blame for the album artwork stuff, cleopatra has seemingly always had really sub standard artwork - among other dubious distinctions. anyway cleo has made it painfully clear that they have very little in the budget for album artwork.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This had to be posted...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    ^video is blocked in the UK, on copyright grounds?? anywhoo, for some reason i feel relieved..

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    ^video is blocked in the UK, on copyright grounds?? anywhoo, for some reason i feel relieved..
    Garbage, like everything post 2008.