Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Beck

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    this new song is actually quite good, much much better than the previous two imo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm going to see Beck for the first time in Philly this July and I'm super excited! Does anyone know what his set lists look like nowadays? Is it true that he doesn't play Midnight Vultures material anymore? I'm gonna love the show regardless, but Midnight Vultures and The Information are my favorite Beck albums, so it would be slightly disappointing to not see anything from the former.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    I'm going to see Beck for the first time in Philly this July and I'm super excited! Does anyone know what his set lists look like nowadays? Is it true that he doesn't play Midnight Vultures material anymore? I'm gonna love the show regardless, but Midnight Vultures and The Information are my favorite Beck albums, so it would be slightly disappointing to not see anything from the former.
    setlist.fm my man

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    setlist.fm my man
    ayyy thanks!

Looks like Mixed Bizness shows up a lot! If that's all he plays from MV, I'd be satisfied

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Unfortunately, Beck had to lip sync his vocals due to losing his voice, but despite that, this is still a really good performance.
    (Skip to 00:11 to avoid James Corden. )
    Last edited by BRoswell; 02-07-2019 at 12:52 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

New Beck single....With Pharrell for god sake...Sounds like he is still going down the path of Colors and doing commercial pop music. Sad to see a once great artist who was once a trailblazer turn into Weezer and just cater to pop trends....

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    ...and doing commercial pop music.
    He's been doing that for most of his career.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    He's been doing that for most of his career.
    I guess you never heard Mutations or Odelay or One Foot In the Grave or Stereopathic Soulmanure........He never did commercial Bruno Mars style pop until Colors....

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I guess you never heard Mutations or Odelay or One Foot In the Grave or Stereopathic Soulmanure...
    I have, and that stuff is still pretty pop for the most part. Then again, my definition of pop music is pretty broad. Some of what he's done may be more experimental, but he's never fully diverged from the pop world once he entered it. Either way, Beck has been a pop artist for a long time now in my opinion. Once he got name-checked in that song You Get What You Give, it was pretty much cemented.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 04-16-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Beck X Cage the Elephant. Always thought Matt sounded quite a bit like him, and I was expecting some kind of collaboration one day. Behold. They've been touring together, too.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Apparently they had that track lying around for a long time only for Beck comig in an finishing it in no time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Amazing how far this guy has fallen. Man I miss One Foot In The Grave era Beck

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The song played in the credits to The Lego Movie 2 sounded like a Colors b-side but I didn't think anything of it because I wasn't actively watching the credits. But it was a catchy song so I went looking for the soundtrack and how about that, it was Beck.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hyperspace is pretty dull on first listen. Colors was a lot better

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Unfortunately Beck is at the point in his career where Bowie was at in the mid 80s. A once trailblazing artist succumbs to the mainstream and starts regurgitating out pop trash, thusly alienating his core audience....I am sure the Beck fans who swear by One Foot In The Grave and Mellow Gold (like me) are saying about Beck what Low and Scary Monsters era Bowie fans were saying about Tonight and Never Let Me Down in the late 80s....Its shocking how far Beck has fallen....I remember thinking Information and Modern Guilt were mediocre albums from him and compared to Colors and Hyperspace, those 2 albums are fucking masterpieces.

Some day old Beck will return and disavow albums like Colors and Hyperspace the same way Bowie disavowed all his 80s pop albums. Last week Beck did an acoustic show and was busting out all sorts of One Foot In The Grave era songs (Painted Eyelids, Cyanide Breath Mint, Puttin It Down. He even busted out Heartland Feeling)

Old Beck is still in there.....Just waiting to come out
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 12-01-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Didn't he win an album of the year award a few years back? Listened to that album a few times and it didn't do much for me. But a track like “Steal my Body Home,” man oh man that one still puts a shit-eating grin on my face every time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is there an instrumental version of this album, because Beck's voice on this album is ruining what is some perfectly nice backing tracks. Really trying hard to sound modern is kind of sad. Autotune, bro?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Now that's he's divorced his Scientologist wife, he's trying to distance himself from the cult, say he was never a Scientologist. Which is funny, b/c while he's never talked about it in depth, he's def. confirmed he was a member numerous times in the past, never mind that he clearly grew up in it b/c his parents (Dad?) were in the cult.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    New album is listeneable, nothing to scream about, but it's nice, wasn't surprised he still follows the "Colors" path

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I grew up in an area with one rock station and all it played was Top 40. That in mind, I like this album, probably more than Colors.

I also think the song in Lego Movie 2 was pretty good.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The Lego song is to Becks discography what the Bowie/Jagger version of 'Dancing In The Street' is to Bowies discography......
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 12-04-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    New album is listeneable, nothing to scream about, but it's nice, wasn't surprised he still follows the "Colors" path
    Colors was a fun record. Hyperspace is definitely listenable. The title track is probably the only track I skip for now

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This is some effort

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The Lego song is to Becks discography what the Bowie/Jagger version of 'Dancing In The Street' is to Bowies discography......
    that's an odd comparison...which one is Beck, and which one is Lonely Island?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    that's an odd comparison...which one is Beck, and which one is Lonely Island?

The comparison being the song is an abomination of mainstream pop shit and has fans of Becks old stuff aghast at what has become of him. Same way that Bowie/Jagger song must have had Berlin era Bowie fans screaming bloody murder.....

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    must have, definitely.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Reviving this thread to share a cool thing I found. A member in a video game vinyl group I'm in posted the first preview from his upcoming project - an 8-bit tribute cover album to Beck's 'Sea Change' - and so far, it sounds really slick.

Link to "Paper Tiger" - https://soundcloud.com/doctoroctoroc...social_sharing

Link to the Kickstarter campaign, launching in the near future - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...oard-prelaunch
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 07-22-2022 at 10:42 PM.