Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mazzy Star

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    They come off as...well I don't know. Very odd interview.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    She's approaching 50 and still as sexy as ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just started a new Mazzy star fan forum. It includes news info, interviews, as well as live recordings/rarities that one of our members has kindly shared on the forum:

http://mazzystar.free.fr

Feel free to join this new forum!

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    i just saw the gig at terminal five in NYC. the band sounded great, really warm and delicate, as expected. however, terminal five is the worst venue to see a show in the city, let alone something so intimate. absolutely no sight lines unless you're crammed in the front on the floor, or first on the balcony. the band plays in near darkness anyway with a projector and a few candles on stage, so it's not a huge spectacle, but it would have been better having seen more than 10% of the stage at any given time.

in good news though, i won tickets to jimmy fallon's band bench which puts me right alongside the band for today's taping, which should more than make up for not seeing anything last week. look for me on television tonight!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I love Hope Sandovals voice, it's haunted ghostly and sexy all at the same time. They're an underrated band it's too bad the don't get the attention they deserve. Love the new album.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I saw them when they came through a few weeks back and I can honestly say that it was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. It wasn't some bombastic spectacle or anything like that, which seems to be what a lot of people expect from concerts. It was just real delicate and moving. I was so grateful that the rest of the audience stayed quiet on some of the most important parts, like the violin part in "Into Dust." If that had been a NIN concert someone would have probably screamed and thrown a lighter in Hope's face or something. Instead you could hear a pin drop from how still everything was. One of the most moving shows I've ever been to. The setlist was perfect too.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmQhNp5rr3Q

RSD single. Sooooooooooo good.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/8499

First songs from a new Warm Inventions album coming later this year!!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Anyone else grab the new Warm Inventions 7" on RSD this past weekend? Both of the new songs are spectacular, in case you were wondering. See for yourself...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    New Mazzy Star.... YES!!!!!!

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    New Mazzy Star.... YES!!!!!!
    Not new Mazzy...new Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions album later this year. Probably in the fall or winter, which is when she always releases her stuff.

No matter, because the first two Warm Inventions records were just as stellar as her MS stuff, in my opinion.

She just released the video for Isn't It True a few hours ago...

http://pitchfork.com/news/64311-mazz...e-video-watch/

The article claims she's the "former" singer from Mazzy Star, which is 100% false. Mazzy Star are very much still together and sitting on at least another album's worth of material.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Not new Mazzy...new Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions album later this year. Probably in the fall or winter, which is when she always releases her stuff.

No matter, because the first two Warm Inventions records were just as stellar as her MS stuff, in my opinion.

She just released the video for Isn't It True a few hours ago...

http://pitchfork.com/news/64311-mazz...e-video-watch/

The article claims she's the "former" singer from Mazzy Star, which is 100% false. Mazzy Star are very much still together and sitting on at least another album's worth of material.
    Oh, I'm sorry. Still, new Hope is better than no Hope as I do love her solo work.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry. Still, new Hope is better than no Hope as I do love her solo work.
    I'm hoping this translates to a new Mazzy album in late-2017/early-2018. She'll have all of this year and next to tour for the Warm Inventions record, and then she and David can gear up for the 5th MS album.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    It's not MS, but Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions announce new album "Until The Hunter" which drops November 4th. FUCKING. YUSSSSSSSSSSS.

First single 'Let Me Get There' feat. Kurt Vile

Until the Hunter Tracklist:
    01. Into the Trees
    02. The Peasant
    03. A Wonderful Seed
    04. Let Me Get There
    05. Day Disguise
    06. Treasure
    07. Salt of the Sea
    08. The Hiking Sea
    09. Isnít It True
    10. I Took a Sip
    11. Liquid Lady

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    It's not MS, but Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions announce new album "Until The Hunter" which drops November 4th. FUCKING. YUSSSSSSSSSSS.

First single 'Let Me Get There' feat. Kurt Vile

Until the Hunter Tracklist:
    01. Into the Trees
    02. The Peasant
    03. A Wonderful Seed
    04. Let Me Get There
    05. Day Disguise
    06. Treasure
    07. Salt of the Sea
    08. The Hiking Sea
    09. Isn’t It True
    10. I Took a Sip
    11. Liquid Lady

Not real high on that album cover; it's uncharacteristically warm on the color spectrum in regards to all her other album covers. But, that's not important in this case. It's the music that matters and those song titles are intriguing. I've only heard 'Isn't It True' and loved it instantly. I have the LMGT single that drops tomorrow pre-ordered, but I'm not listening to it until I have the entire album in my hands

I just hope this one gets a vinyl release. They cancelled the vinyl format of Through The Devil Softly right before its release date and I was crushed. Coincidentally, I just finally parted with $150 for a like-new LP pressing of Bavarian Fruit Bread, which is seriously one of my favorite albums she's ever done, in a career chock full of classics. I should have it just in time for its 15th anniversary next month..

Can't fucking wait to hear this new stuff, even if it means new Mazzy isn't coming for at least another two or three years (at least)

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Yup, definitely getting a vinyl release!

https://www.amazon.com/Until-Hunter-...arm+inventions

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Wow, that new single is AMAZING. Damn.

I wasn't really blown away by "Isn't It True," but this is like everything I could ever asked for from a new Hope single.

It feels like a pretty natural expansion of her style. It almost reminds me of some long lost chilled out 70s jam or something. So mellow and groovy and melodic and blissful. Just put this shit on repeat.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

IT CAME TODAY! Isn't she lovely? Isn't she beautiful?

A few people from ETS pm'd me about posting photos of this gem when it arrived, so here she is. Can't fucking believe I own this now. In virtually new condition and joining an increasing number of others in my "$100+ Club"

I can't wait until the sun goes down in a bit so I can play this at maximum volume and hear it on vinyl for the very first time. I've always loved her Warm Inventions stuff just as much as her stuff with Mazzy. Some of my favorite songs she's ever done are on this one. On The Low, Suzanne, Around My Smile, Charlotte, Feeling of Gaze...the only gripe I could possibly have is that "I Thought You'd Fall For Me" was relegated to b-side status on the Suzanne single when it's as great as everything else on the album proper.

Sooooo fuggin' stoked for Until The Hunter in 5 weeks..

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    ICYMI..

Hope does guest vocals on the song "I Don't Mind" off the 5th album by the band Psychic Ills, released a few months back.

Coincidentally (not coincidentally), the final song on the album is called "Fade Me Out"

Fade Into You...Fade Me Out...Hope guesting on the same album...???...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    So did this leak yet? Anyone heard it? Give us the deets! The wiki page has the tracklist times up; some gloriously lengthy tunes on this one...it's almost 10 minutes longer than TTDS. The first song is 9+ minutes!

For anyone interested, the UK Rough Trade store has a mint-green vinyl edition (limited to 700 copies) that includes a CD copy of the album that also includes the two single b-sides from earlier this year. Mine came to only about $30 including shipping at checkout..

https://www.roughtrade.com/music/until-the-hunter

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    You can stream it on the NPR site now:
    http://www.npr.org/2016/10/27/499145...til-the-hunter

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Digging the hell out of Until The Hunter, as if there would be any question. Anyone else?

It's not quite as dark as their first two, but it's definitely right up there as far as quality is concerned. The Peasant, Liquid Lady, Salt of the Sea, Let Me Get There...classic Hope from beginning to end. I love how they come rolling in with that billowing dirge-y nine minute opener and immediately set the tone for the album. Now I just hope there's a tour behind it..

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions Tour Dates 2017

10/08 – Sonoma, CA @ Gundlach Bundschu Winery: Old Redwood Barn
    10/10 – Portland, OR @ Wonder Ballroom
    10/11 – Seattle, WA @ Neptune
    10/13 – Berkeley, CA @ The UC Theatre
    10/14 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Fonda Theatre
    10-15 – Joshua Tree, CA @ Desert Daze Festival
    10/18 – Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of Living Arts
    10/19 – Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
    10/21 – Boston, MA @ Royale
    10/22 – Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Steel

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    10/18 – Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of Living Arts
    10/19 – Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
    I'm planning on attending both of these, as I'll be back on the east coast around that time. The TLA is a great venue and I'm thinking she's going to sound especially lovely in that place. The 9:30 Club is always a good time..

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

New EP Son of a Lady coming Sept. 15. The vinyl includes an exclusive track ("Antiquity").

I'm catching two of her shows this fall. Is anyone else attending any? She is not to be missed..

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    I went to see her in Philadelphia, Washington DC and New York over the last five days. She is easily my favorite singer of all times, and is nothing short of spellbinding in a live setting. There’s just nothing else in the world like her voice. She did a stirring, stripped down version of the Bavarian Fruit Bread b-side “I Thought You’d Fall For Me” that I swear seemed to make time stand still around me.

Fairly sure that was a wedding band on her left ring finger, and while it bums me the fuck out that somebody got to marry my dream woman, it makes me happy that someone had the good sense to put a ring on her. Nothing in life so amazing and beautiful should go unclaimed forever..

Now I’m just hoping we don’t have to wait another 4 to 7 years for the next album/tour.