Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Metal Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Metal Thread

Metal is my favorite type of music. I love it more then anything, and my taste is alot harder lately, except NIN of course. Just curious to what other NIN fan, Metal Fans like...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And no, I am not 15. I am 30 years old and it just seems the harder the better, but i do love ALL the softer NIN stuff.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Changed the title. We'll call this the catch-all Metal thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool with me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe if enough people like a certain band we can do a thread for that particular band...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Black metal anyone?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I recommend a documentary series currently on VH1 Classic called Metal Evolution, from the director of Metal: A Headbanger's Journey. The first episode discussed the roots, talking about the elements of Classical, Opera, Blues, Jazz and early Rock & Roll that are influential to the genre, that had people interviewees ranging from Nelson George to Yngwie Malmsteen. The 2nd episode focused on early American metal like MC5, Alice Cooper and Aerosmith. The one airing this week will touch on early English heavy bands,

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i like Swedish band Mustasch, check out this video -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been digging Bloodbath a lot recently. I love Mikael's death metal vocals in Opeth, so Bloodbath is just completely awesome.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    get the newest 40 Watt Sun and YOB albums if you have even the slightest interest in doom metal. both are fantastic.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    That Yob album is fucking great.

Also highly recommend the latest from Indian for those into the doom.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've started getting into black metal, but I'm fairly picky with the stuff I enjoy. I really like the lo-fi, punky stuff (Raspberry Bulbs, Bone Awl, Akitsa, etc) and on the opposite side of the spectrum the well produced, post-rock/shoegaze infused stuff like Alcest and Amesoeurs. Also into "black noise" stuff like Gnaw Their Tongues. So my tastes are all over the place really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love metal with clean vocals. I like growls and screams too, on occasion, but clean vocals are where it's at for me. Some stuff I've been listening to lately.....

Arcturus is supposedly working on a new album since ICS Vortex split from Dimmu Borgir. Probably my favorite song of his....

I recently picked up the latest Nighwish, which was technically from the end of last year, but I like it. It's much better than the last album, and really cements the new singer in her role.

I bought tix to see Nevermore about a week before they broke up. Alas....

Alataria is a power metal band that gets lots of repeats on my mp3 player....

Sariola, band with lots of blast beats and operatic female vocals....

And then Iced Earth, needs no introduction

and then Down, to switch it up a bit

Kyng, which sounds like a more metal Chris Cornell, also with some blasts

Soen, new band featuring Martin Lopez (ex-Opeth) and Steve Digiorgio.

Adrenaline Mob, say what you will about how much better a band could be featuring Dream Theater and Symphony X (who are both awesome, btw), but I still like this song no matter what

So that's really just a few random tidbits of just whatever. Metal is awesome though....

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    who thought Adrenaline Mob would be a good name for a band?

co-sign on Down, Kyng & Soen though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There is some really shitty metal in this thread so far.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    I've started getting into black metal, but I'm fairly picky with the stuff I enjoy. I really like the lo-fi, punky stuff (Raspberry Bulbs, Bone Awl, Akitsa, etc) and on the opposite side of the spectrum the well produced, post-rock/shoegaze infused stuff like Alcest and Amesoeurs. Also into "black noise" stuff like Gnaw Their Tongues. So my tastes are all over the place really.
    100% with you on this stuff. here's a few favorites:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That ColdWorld album was in my CD player for months.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    cannot wait for the new cannibal corpse to drop.. its sounding bad ass so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    cannot wait for the new cannibal corpse to drop.. its sounding bad ass so far.
    I saw them live a couple weeks ago, and yes, the new songs slayed pretty hard.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Descension is a trip. Love this stuff.

Addicted to this EP - one of my favourites of last year.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Aluk Todolo is amazing. Descension is great. Also check out Finsternis.

Also that Raspberry Bulbs sounds awesome. Seeking that immediately.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

The Metal Thread

Could we do with a discussion thread about metal? From classic to contemporary, heavy metal to deathcore...anything METAL.
    I think maybe a general metal thread might be a good idea because the threads on individual bands tend to die after a few posts...

This summer Lamb of God are touring with Dethklok and Gojira, the last of which is I believe one of the best metal bands around today: http://www.theprp.com/2012/05/11/new...our-announced/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    top ten metal albums for me... (no order)

1. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
    2. Metallica - Kill em All
    3. Metallica - Master of Puppets
    4. Megadeth - Peace Sells
    5. Akercocke - Antichrist (the most underrated band in metal)
    6. Pantera - Official live 101 proof
    7. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone (ne plus ultra of scuzzy doom)
    8. Electric Wizard - Witchcult today (and similarly, possibly the best slickly produced doom effort)
    9. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (almost faultless)
    10. Dissection - The Somberlain

A few justifications for any potentially outraged parties... only 1 sab because IMO the first 3 albums are the same thing 3 times, and the third iteration was the best. Live album by Pantera because I honestly think it's the best, the trendkill tracks are savage and the bonus tracks are awesome. My favourite studio pantera would be trendkill, cowboys and driven - never been a massive fan of vulgar! heresy I know

No Slayer because their LPs are just too much like hard work... incredible live act, great sound as a band and they have definitely written some of the very best metal, but they've never delivered a classic LP imo - Reign in blood is great but it's about the length of a simpsons episode and has no variety (had it on tape as a kid and it was the whole album on both sides! Also while I'm reminiscing, a mate of mine said that as a kid he would get two pairs of 3d glasses, make a pair of entirely red glasses by cutting them up & sticking the two red sides together, and then go outside when it was raining, listening to raining blood)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Oooh Akercocke, love that band. I saw their first shows at the Red Eye/Devil's Church in London around 2000. Blew everyone away and proceeded to rise and rapidly become one of the best extreme metal bands around: a great mix of death/black and awesome weirdness. They could have been much much bigger if they'd taken touring seriously. To me their debut album, Rape of the Bastard Nazarene, will always remain their best, but I dig pretty much everything I've heard from them. I have an Akercocke longsleeve depicting a satanic goat going down on a nun...and the infamous She Likes Me To Stand t-shirt: http://www.myspace.com/akercocke/photos/62262855# NSFW

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Extremely jealous you saw them back then! I only got into them with the 2nd album, but managed to attend a show on every tour since. 10th anniversary show was amazing... the whole of "rape..." followed by the best of the rest.

They've divided off into a few other bands now - Voices (drummer/bassist/keyboardist) and Skaldic Curse (first lead guitarist). Both pretty good in their own way! definitely a similar vibe

It's really weird, I was a party full of bullet belt & biker jacket types from the london death/black metal scene last night, and out of those that had heard of them, none really rated them! Kids today... *grumbles*

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Haha. My friend is in Skaldic Curse with Paul. When I lived in London I was part of that scene...good to know it's still going.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I dip in and out... some things never change - Ben from Orange Goblin is always at every gig

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Sorry about that. I did a search and didn't see it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I have to say, Death's "The Sound Of Perseverance" is one of the best metal records of all time.