Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC Extended Universe Thread

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Editing was fucked over like BvS probably. They downgraded this from R to a PG-13 film and reshot a lot so safe the say the movie suffered for it. I don't mean the rating matters and why it suffers but reshooting probably made some scenes inconsistent.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 08-02-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Well, I'm still pumped to see this movie. I never go by what critics say, sometimes I agree, but most of the time never.

I guess with all the editing, ultimate cuts will be the norm for DC?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Well, I'm still pumped to see this movie. I never go by what critics say, sometimes I agree, but most of the time never.

I guess with all the editing, ultimate cuts will be the norm for DC?

Was there any mention of an Ultimate cut for Suicide Squad? If so, I rather stay home and have the ultimate cut be my first experience like I did with BvS.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    No, but it's been said that a lot of joker scenes didn't make it to the final cut. And two cuts were screened and some joker/ Harley relationship plot points were cut out from the final product.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    No, but it's been said that a lot of joker scenes didn't make it to the final cut. And two cuts were screened and some joker/ Harley relationship plot points were cut out from the final product.
    Why why why why why why why

Why?

Watching the trailers for this thing, Joker seems pretty central in a way. The posters, the marketing, the focus in the hype and magazines and interviews -- he's been a main draw.

Hell, they've almost made it feel like Joker and Batman would be dual antagonistic forces in the movie, both chasing down the SS as it went on. Those aspects, by far, had me more excited than almost anything else.

The idea that literally any scene with Joker got cut is just absurd to me. What, did we need more focus on Slipknot?

I don't get it. What is with this franchise and their goddamn strange editing choices? What the hell? If SS was cut to be PG-13 then, what, were they banking that hard on the Hot Topic crowd from a decade ago?

I love these characters. I love the universe. I love the history of it all. I want to love the movies based on them. I want these things to be great. But Jesus Christ, what is their problem? They've got no excuse. They don't. You can't say it's a critic vs. audience thing, because plenty of superhero films have perfectly fine critical and audience reception. None of this makes sense to me.

I don't get what's so hard. I don't get why they keep having the same issues. A big draw for SS to me was the bright, splashy neon-on-black visual sensibility promised in posters and trailers and supposedly it's almost all drab grays and blacks between credit sequences. What's their fucking problem? Seriously?

One of DC's universal strengths over the competition is their rogue catalog, and yet this apparently has a wholly-underwhelming antagonist. It's like they want to not measure up.

Give me a SS film of the team doing something questionable in intent, with Batman picking each off as it continues, everyone slowly realizing it as it progresses. Have someone uncovering the corruption behind their goals and have Joker trying to burst his way back into Harley's life as it goes along. Make these elements converge, wrap it up with half the team's heads exploded and the rest either in Arkham or escaped. Ta-fucking-da. Is that so hard, really?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Dont worry. The fans that saw the movie said there is enough joker in it. They just cut some scenes that were missing in the trailers( charred joker biting the pin of the grenade, that behind the scene footage that leaked didn't make either cut, I something else. ). The Harley joker stuff I guess they cut out for fear of feminists who would come out and say joker was abusive to Harley not understanding how that particular relationship works out.

Also beginning was apparently different. Starting with dead shot.

Again, fans reaction were positive, some of the critics that were very vocal about bvs loved suicide squad. So this is just another divisive DC movie, pre Johns regime keep in mind.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Suicide Squad fans have started a petition to shut down Rotten Tomatoes over the movie (and BvS) bad reviews

Can I get some facepalms for this article, please?

I never go by what critics say, sometimes I agree, but most of the time never.
    THIS.

Yes, it is fun to see that the movie you've been waiting for is getting glowing reviews and it sucks when it doesn't. Yes, there are movie critics whose opinion matters ( I worshiped Roger Ebert).

But again, as I have said many times before, at the end of the day, you are the ultimate critic. Did you like the movie or not? That's the only opinion that should matter the most to you.

Examples taken from my own experience:

No Country for Old Men; Certified Fresh (93%): BORING. Can't watch for more than ten minutes without falling asleep.

Godzilla (1998) Rotten (16%): I LOVE IT! It's funny, there's great chase scenes and there's Hank Azaria and Jean Reno. I'll never get tired of that movie.

Bottom line: do yourselves a favor and make up your own mind. And to the idiots who started the petition: Rotten Tomatoes only compile reviews, it doesn't write them.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    They just cut some scenes that were missing in the trailers( charred joker biting the pin of the grenade, that behind the scene footage that leaked didn't make either cut, I something else. ). The Harley joker stuff I guess they cut out for fear of feminists who would come out and say joker was abusive to Harley not understanding how that particular relationship works out.
    None of this makes me anymore confident in the movie at all

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Reports are out now that there was a TON of tension creating this thing...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Reports are out now that there was a TON of tension creating this thing...
    I was just about to link this article that that one seems to be pulling from:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-rushed-916693

I hate how little I am surprised by any of this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post

I don't get what's so hard. I don't get why they keep having the same issues. A big draw for SS to me was the bright, splashy neon-on-black visual sensibility promised in posters and trailers and supposedly it's almost all drab grays and blacks between credit sequences. What's their fucking problem? Seriously?

One of DC's universal strengths over the competition is their rogue catalog, and yet this apparently has a wholly-underwhelming antagonist. It's like they want to not measure up.

Give me a SS film of the team doing something questionable in intent, with Batman picking each off as it continues, everyone slowly realizing it as it progresses. Have someone uncovering the corruption behind their goals and have Joker trying to burst his way back into Harley's life as it goes along. Make these elements converge, wrap it up with half the team's heads exploded and the rest either in Arkham or escaped. Ta-fucking-da. Is that so hard, really?
    Pretty much agree with all of this. The end of what you said is pretty much what I was thinking/hoping the movie was going to be like before these reviews started coming out. It's getting rough to see DC continuously drop the ball and promise fans that the NEXT film will deliver and live up to the hype.

I think that the way this film was marketed hurt the final product, honestly. The press, the trailers, and the actors themselves built this thing up (especially after the BvS backlash) to be something fresh, wildly different than previous comic-book movies, and full of compelling characters. In reality, it seems to be a muddied mess of studio intervention, re-shoots, re-edits, poor pacing, and tonal inconsistency. In short, it's being made out to be everything we've seen already..except worse. It's a shame to hear that even the action sequences seem to be sort of boring.

It's being compared to the most recent Fantastic Four. Ugh. I still plan on seeing it, because I love DC, but my expectations have gone down tremendously.

I love DC. I actually enjoy the darker tone that the universe is taking. That said, it's maddening to see the company screw up stories because I find their characters to be more compelling than the ones over at Marvel (and I love Marvel).
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 08-03-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So, is suicide squad no bueno?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This may be the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Such a shame that this franchise wasn't put into more capable hands. It seems the execs do not have a clue.

Because the idea of an Avengers Assemble type film with villains instead does sound quite interesting. Just a shame they couldn't pull it off. I really think they picked the wrong people for the job. I would like to see Ayers' darker cut.

Maybe DC should have went the opposite route, lead with individual villain movies where the superheroes are characters lurking in the background to f**k up the villain's day. And that would have lead to Suicide Squad and in response to that, a Justice League film. Then break it back down into individual superhero films after the assemble films
    Last edited by neorev; 08-03-2016 at 11:00 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

The DC Extended Universe Thread

I think everyone should stop saying DC when we all know that it's fucking Warner Bros completely failing as a studio.

Because WB owns the property, everyone over at DC comics is probably wishing another studio or company would buy them.

Fuck Warner Brothers.

Also glad tmobile gave their customers free tickets, because if this is bvs all over again, we aren't getting the original product till the inevitable ultimate edition blu Ray release.
    Last edited by Conan The Barbarian; 08-03-2016 at 11:15 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    If Warner Brothers isn't going to get it right. Then fuck it. DC will have to work with some other studio.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Warner Bros. and DC are not parting ways. they have been together for a long time in what has been a pretty rewarding relationship. the original superman films, Tim Burtons, Batman films, the Chris Nolan Batmans...

So in three movies over the course of a few years, it's not going to change it. They just need a different showrunner. They had something good with Chris Nolan, and then for some ungodly reason they went with Zack Snyder, and who took the grim over seriousness of the Nolan movies, extracted all the fun and turned it into a hot topic cartoon. There are capable, visionary a uterus who can make something great with these characters. Making it darker than Marvel is a valid option to distinguish itself, but it has to have substance to work.

WB also wants what marvel has without having to put in the effort of building it. Instead of assembling they're universe piece by piece, they want to jam these characters together one protracted clusterfuck after another. it's frustrating to see.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Well Geoff Johns has now been promoted by WB to President of DC Entertainment. While he has certainly made some questionable writing and universe direction decisions in recent years after an impeccable run for well over a decade, having him oversee all this has to help with future movies.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Snyder hasn't been the lead executive at all though, they seriously had upwards of six different people overseeing everything and demanding changes on whims until very recently. Hopefully Geoff Johns gets things on track, but I have my doubts. Snyder had about as much control as Ayer and if you look at stories of BvS' production, it is full of fuckery. Watchmen's a better example of Snyder having control over a superhero property, and, in general, it's regarded as pretty much the best movie you're gonna get based on the source material.

I'm not looking forward to all the exact same conversations happening when Wonder Woman releases. I hate that I can say that with deep confidence at this point.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Warner Bros. and DC are not parting ways. they have been together for a long time in what has been a pretty rewarding relationship. the original superman films, Tim Burtons, Batman films, the Chris Nolan Batmans...

So in three movies over the course of a few years, it's not going to change it. They just need a different showrunner. They had something good with Chris Nolan, and then for some ungodly reason they went with Zack Snyder, and who took the grim over seriousness of the Nolan movies, extracted all the fun and turned it into a hot topic cartoon. There are capable, visionary a uterus who can make something great with these characters. Making it darker than Marvel is a valid option to distinguish itself, but it has to have substance to work.

WB also wants what marvel has without having to put in the effort of building it. Instead of assembling they're universe piece by piece, they want to jam these characters together one protracted clusterfuck after another. it's frustrating to see.

As a studio, WB does not have a great track record since the current CEO has taken the reigns. Maybe they need to hire someone else and bet back on track as a studio.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Well Geoff Johns has now been promoted by WB to President of DC Entertainment. While he has certainly made some questionable writing and universe direction decisions in recent years after an impeccable run for well over a decade, having him oversee all this has to help with future movies.
    The Johns era officially starts with wonder woman. So if its a bad ass hit, then I think DC movies will be ok as long as he is in charge. Johns knows his comics and the rebirth launch has been great so far for DC comics.

I think Wonder Woman is going to be fantastic considering who is overseeing the movie and its director. That movie will be the underdog that will really give this cinematic universe its legs, especially a hero that is not Batman nor Superman.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post

Honest to God I'm trying to figure out what this autocorrected from but I got nothing.

Edit: wait, I got it - visionary auteurs.
    Last edited by allegate; 08-04-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ayer says the theatrical cut is "his cut" and that while there's about 10 extra minutes that could show up on a blu ray release, there's no BvS-esque Director's cut.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Ayer says the theatrical cut is "his cut" and that while there's about 10 extra minutes that could show up on a blu ray release, there's no BvS-esque Director's cut.
    I don't buy that. How could someone like David Ayer get final cut privileges when there's a handful of directors that do get that privilege for any studio?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    AKA "I like having a career and agreed to the cut the studio wanted because I'd rather not be fired or blacklisted."

Even people who saw early screenings commented on how different the editing is and how several scenes were missing. His statement doesn't actually say anything that really refutes the story Hollywood Reporter covered.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy shit was this bad.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Alright I'm home now so I'll elaborate. This movie was a giant ball of flaming dogshit for so many reasons. I'll spoiler tag...

Spoiler: Editing was atrocious. No set up, literally 15 seconds in...here's one character! Here's the next! Here's funny text onscreen giving you their pet peeves and height as you meet them! What the fuck?

Leto's Joker was decent enough, but they honestly give him about 5 minutes of screen time. What the fuck?

We get it. Margot Robbie has a nice ass. I mean, yeah...it's pretty great. At least thirty scenes of her walking away and constantly in the middle of the shot. What the fuck?

The plot is literally a typical action/sci-fi plot. It's not very...comic book-y. It's just the characters shoehorned in to your typical 'oh no there's a giant swirling electric thing floating in the middle of the city. That's where the villain is...we need to get this nuke there to blow it up.' What the fuck?

As they're taking off to go downtown to fight this thing, Harley hides her cellphone and a text comes through with a little Joker icon....'I'm coming for you.' Huh? Where'd she get that? They wheeled her out in a straitjacket in a chair. They didn't confiscate a fucking cellphone? No coded message? No 'the eagle will meet you soon.'?? It's literally a little fucking Joker icon? What the fuck?

The music choices are so on the nose it was painful. The dialogue was FUCKING INSANELY BAD. The Croc is a typical G. "Yo...I didn't aks you a question." His choice for what he wants when they save the day. "BET". He fucking wants a TV with BET playing down in his sewer bedroom. What the actual fuck?

The villain creates the electrical bomb that's taking over the world....and then she just fucking sits and dances by it, waiting for the squad to come...for the last fucking hour of the movie. Just sits there dancing in front of this swirling thing every time you see her. Then when they get there, her CGI and acting is so bad people were cracking up. There's a fight between Diablo (fire creating guy) who apparently is actually a 20 ft. tall walking fire shaman...and he fights the villain's brother with a "Let's go bitch!" IN SUBTITLED SPANISH.

What.

The fuck.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just got home from an IMAX showing. Boy, where do I even begin? What a clusterfuck.

I'll use the spoiler tags just in case:

Spoiler: As expected, the tone of this whole thing was extremely inconsistent. It seemed like the movie was wrestling with whether it should be taken seriously or not. Too many cool moments ruined by stupid music, jokes, or poor edits.

The pacing was a huge issue with this film as well. It wasn't easy to follow- in fact, it makes Batman vs Superman seem like an amazingly cohesive film in comparison. Here, we were all over the place- a backstory here, a flashback there, an introduction here, a fight there, a tender moment here, some exposition there. It wasn't a cohesive presentation, and it was hard at times to tell where we were in the story. It felt like a bunch of scenes spliced together rather than a smooth and cohesive narrative. I thought the movie was going to end a few different times.

As mentioned above, the dialogue was less than stellar, and downright laughable in certain spots. The lines they had the main villain shouting were so absurd that they belong in some B-movie somewhere. The dialogue exacerbated the tonal issues- it was tough to take things seriously sometimes.

Also mentioned above, but the music choices were way too on the nose. No subtlety or creativity with the song selections, and overall, there were just TOO DAMN MANY of them. It seemed like there were snippets of 50 different songs over the course of two hours.

The villain might just be the most generic out of any comic book movie I've ever seen, in all phases- dialogue, powers, scheme. Never once was she or her brother intimidating, and her motivations and plans were just downright silly. The faceless, seemingly-powerless henchmen were also boring and unmemorable, just like many of the fight scenes in the movie.

There was SOME good in the movie: I did like the performances of Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Jared Leto (Even though Leto was in the film for all of a few minutes). Viola Davis as Amanda Waller was a good casting choice.

Overall, I liked the movie more than the critics did, but only barely. It's hard to see this film as anything but a massive disappointment- not only because I love the characters involved (especially Harley/Joker/Batman), but because of how good the trailers and marketing campaign were for it. Not only was it supposed to be fresh, slick, and awesome, but it was supposed to be GOOD. ..And then it was none of that.
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 08-05-2016 at 07:30 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Watchmen's a better example of Snyder having control over a superhero property, and, in general, it's regarded as pretty much the best movie you're gonna get based on the source material.
    Alan Moore went to court to get the studio to remove his name from the Watchmen

its the most disappointing film ive ever seen at the cinema
    Sort of get the feeling nobody remembers it.

The film didnt have enough time to cover the depth of the novel so it was hard to engage with.
    To be honest i feel HBO or Netflix or BBC should have made it into a miniseries.

I dont understand how a studio could trust Zach Snyder. Enough has been said about him.
    Last edited by Exocet; 08-05-2016 at 03:40 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    *shrugs* I don't know what you guys were expecting... It's a movie about super-villians teaming up and being controlled to do the army's dirty work.
    It's not trying to be a realistic movie. It know it's audience. I went in with the absolute lowest expectations possible, and I came out quite impressed.

I was hearing early comparisons to Batman V Superman, and I thought that movie was atrocious. So, I went in very cautiously. Hell, I'll admit, right from trailer 1 I thought this looked like the stupid thing on the planet. Was talking to a friend months before the film was close to coming out about how it looked like the worst movie ever.

Then a pair of friends somehow convinced me to go see it. I'll admit, I was curious to see just how bad this film was going to be based on the early reviews ripping it apart. And, I got more than I expected. I thought it was a decent film. I got my money's worth. I wouldn't watch it again, but it doesn't deserve all the flak it's getting.

This movie does not try to be something it is not, it knows exactly what it is. It's a dumb summer action comic book blockbuster. Nobody should have been expecting any more or any less.

Maybe it was the fact that I set the bar sooooo low, that I came out thoroughly impressed. *shrugs*