Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC Extended Universe Thread

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Watching Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy... I'd give anything to scrap the whole DC extended universe to have Nolan and co. return for a proper sequel that follows the story/world he introduced. I still think he could do a proper fourth flick with the Riddler and the Penguin.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Watching Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy... I'd give anything to scrap the whole DC extended universe to have Nolan and co. return for a proper sequel that follows the story/wor. Ad he introduced. I still think he could do a proper fourth flick with the Riddler and the Penguin.
    But the story is over, You would have to start it at when "Robin" is The Batman. I wouldnt trade it. The Nolan trilogy is what it was, and its in our hearts. Nolan produced Man of Steel.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    But the story is over, You would have to start it at when "Robin" is The Batman. I wouldnt trade it. The Nolan trilogy is what it was, and its in our hearts. Nolan produced Man of Steel.
    That'd be fine with me.

I would have Robin be Batman for a bit. But Bruce Wayne gets pulled back into the fight. Robin could be going Nightwing being that Batman is dead.

Penguin reminds be of some snidy/shady businessman looking to gut Wayne Industries while running to govern Gotham for his own nefarious plans while Riddler is looking to expose Bruce and screw with his world.

I always had this idea of Harvey Dent not really being dead. And that's how the Riddler f--ks with Bruce discovering the truth. These sly puzzles asking "Who is in Room 1413?" The eventual end of puzzles leading to Arkham. The truth being Dent wasn't dead at the end of Dark Knight.

Gordon and a close small group of cops he trusts covering it up. Gordon had to do something to make Dent into the heroic image him and Batman planned. Gordon conspires to keep him locked up secretly in Arkham, being Dent is now a crazed Two Face, and they keep his hero image. But with Bruce discovering the truth in the end through Riddler's little brainf--k puzzles, a riff between him and Gordon forms. Just as Penguin is inflicting his plan on the city of Gotham.

Then you would have Two Face back full on once again after his short and awesome time in DK in the 5th flick. His reveal as a crazed pyschopath causing controversy that the police propped him up so the people of Gotham held him up as a hero. It would end the 4th movie at very precarious situation within Gotham while the 5th would deal with the aftermath and leaving Gotham open as an easy target for the next big villain to step in.

The Riddler's games bring possible Batman back in the picture? Would Bruce don the cape again? Robin becomes Robin? Perhaps Gotham is so f--ked, Bruce has to bring the Batman back one last time to unite Gotham and fight alongside Robin in the 5th flick against its main villain? Who would that villain be?

I was wondering about introducing Barbara Gordon, who isn't close with her father, but coming up on her own in the Gotham political world. She would be on the task of protecting Gotham from future conflicts. And perhaps she is let in on the truth behind Batman and her father. She wants to fight against foes of Gotham, but in the political spectrum. Perhaps she can use some of those Batgirl skills. She would also be intertwined in putting a stop to the rise of Penguin's political asperations.

Or perhaps I thought about this way too much?
    Last edited by neorev; 04-18-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    R-Rated Watchmen Animated Feature Planned by Warner Bros?

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...-bros#/slide/1

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ action adventure “Aquaman,” helmed by James Wan (“The Conjuring” films, “Furious 7”). Jason Momoa stars in the title role, returning to the character he plays in this fall’s “Justice League.”
    The film also stars Amber Heard (“Justice League,” “Magic Mike XXL”) as Mera; Oscar nominee Willem Dafoe (“Platoon,” “Spider-Man 2”) as Vulko; Temuera Morrison (“Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones,” “Green Lantern”) as Tom Curry; Dolph Lundgren (“The Expendables” films) as Nereus; Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (upcoming “Baywatch,” Netflix’s “The Get Down”) as Black Manta; with Patrick Wilson (“The Conjuring” films, “Watchmen”) as Orm/Ocean Master; and Oscar winner Nicole Kidman (“The Hours,” “Lion”) as Atlanna.
    The film is being produced by Peter Safran, with Zack Snyder, Deborah Snyder, Rob Cowan, Jon Berg and Geoff Johns serving as executive producers.
    Wan’s team behind the scenes includes such frequent collaborators as Oscar-nominated director of photography Don Burgess (“The Conjuring 2,” “Forrest Gump”), his five-time editor Kirk M. Morri (“The Conjuring” films, “Furious 7,” the “Insidious” films) and production designer Bill Brzeski (“Furious 7”). They are joined by costume designer Kym Barrett (“The Matrix” trilogy; “The Amazing Spider-Man”), along with Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Charles Gibson (“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 & 2”) and VFX supervisor Kelvin McIlwain (“The Fast and the Furious” franchise).
    As is fitting for the king of the sea, the shoot will take place mainly in locations spanning the stunning Gold Coast of Queensland, Australia, with extensive filming to be accomplished at Village Roadshow Studios. The production will utilize the facility’s sprawling backlot and all nine VRS soundstages, including its newest, Stage 9, the largest of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere. Filming will also take place in Newfoundland, Sicily and Tunisia.
    An icon for over 75 years, Aquaman is known by fans of DC Comics as the ruler of Atlantis but committed to protecting the entire globe, both land and sea.
    Currently set for a 2018 release, the film is based on characters from DC.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    R-Rated Watchmen Animated Feature Planned by Warner Bros?

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...-bros#/slide/1
    Why? Don't we have a pretty good R-rated Watchmen movie already?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    And we also have the motion comic which I thought was great ( despite the male narrator trying to pull of a female voice lol)

I will watch it, but I am on the same boat as, do we really need this?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Watchmen movie. So seems pointless to do an animated film.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    And considering the art style for some of the animated movies that I've seen - not all of them, so don't consider this a blanket statement - I'm not really sure I'd like one.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Early reactions for Wonder Women are out and...well fuck me, there good!

If you have said to me at the beginning of the year both Warner Bros AND Fox would put out good superhero movies i'd have laughed in your face! Awesome

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Early reactions for Wonder Women are out and...well fuck me, there good!

If you have said to me at the beginning of the year both Warner Bros AND Fox would put out good superhero movies i'd have laughed in your face! Awesome
    I saw some of the tweets on Indiewire. Let's hope Warner Brothers don't fuck it up for the fans.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Joss Whedon was just announced as the new director of Justice League. Zack Snyder is exiting due to family issues.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's just post-production work, but yeah Snyder's daughter passed away. He told them it happened a few months back, he tried to bury himself in the work, but that he just has to go. Awful news.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, so sad – especially to find out during Mental Health Awareness Month. My heart goes out to the entire Snyder family.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    It's just post-production work, but yeah Snyder's daughter passed away. He told them it happened a few months back, he tried to bury himself in the work, but that he just has to go. Awful news.
    Holy fuck, really?! That's awful! Great that they got Joss in so quick but fuck that's fucking horrible.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Holy fuck, really?! That's awful! Great that they got Joss in so quick but fuck that's fucking horrible.
    Yeah, his daughter Autumn (from a previous marriage) committed suicide back in March.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ. That's brutal. Good for Joss to help out.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Regardless of what everyone thinks of his films this is awful, and i hope he and his family can get some privacy (i'm looking at you 'news' media!). Times a great healer.

Getting Joss on board, even just for post-production, is a good move from WB and DC. Helps ease him into the DCEU with his take on Batgirl in the pipeline AND get some much needed positive hype for Justice League. If Wonder Women can make a good profit (it already looks like it's won critics) they might just be able to salvage this cinematic universe...and i'm OK with that, as long as they focus on the other hero's (Wonder Women, Flash, Batgirl etc) before they start throwing Bats and Supes solo films at us again (i'm honestly tired of Supes and Bats right now, lets give some other hero's the time)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wonder Woman is getting rave reviews so far, currently 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Amazing what hiring a good director can do.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Wonder Woman is getting rave reviews so far, currently 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Amazing what hiring a good director can do.
    And having a good script/story!

I'll be seeing it Saturday to make my mind up on it. Safe to say i'm optimistic i'll like it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It was bland, uneven in a kind of unremarkable way, Lots of stuff happens for no other reason than to move along the plot. The villain is insanely miscast. but its deepest sin is essentially being a movie where wonder woman cobtinuously have the world explained to her by a man. After the first fifteen minutes, female characters are scarce. This movie weirdly bows to a variety of sexist tropes

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    It was bland, uneven in a kind of unremarkable way, Lots of stuff happens for no other reason than to move along the plot. The villain is insanely miscast. but its deepest sin is essentially being a movie where wonder woman cobtinuously have the world explained to her by a man. After the first fifteen minutes, female characters are scarce. This movie weirdly bows to a variety of sexist tropes
    I disagree fully. Not sure what you were looking for? It had superb action, a strong cast of characters I instantly gave a shit about and an interesting take on an undiscovered character in most cinema. I thought the film had subtle nods to injustices that were always seen as shrugged off (slavery mention with secretary, Native American mistreatment, women being involved, etc.) like it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things when reflecting.

As for Diana learning and seeing the Modern World with the help of a man, well it kinda makes sense as he's her only link to our world from Themiscyra. Why wouldn't she be seeing things through him? She questions everything and all perceptions due to not ever seeing them before. Man or woman you'd question a world through the only viable source you could, which in this case was Steve. I didn't feel it diminished her power or feminine strength. She literally owns every male character in the film and never bows to anyone's will but her own. The only male character she befell to for a short period of time was the main villain, Ares. I enjoyed his casting, it made for an unlikely foe out in left field. His armor and design was cool as fuck as far as I was concerned.

The film is easily in my top superhero films I've ever seen, which is in the leagues with 1989 Batman, Batman Returns, The Dark Knight, Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange for my favorites.

I LOVED the film.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 06-04-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just saw it and... man.... I want my mother to see this. It's an incredible film as Gal Gadot is a fucking star in this. I love her sense of innocence as well as being this badass. I like the supporting performances of Chris Pine, Robin Wright, David Thewlis, Lucy Davis (who is hilarious), and Connie Nielsen. I like what Patty Jenkins did as it go too much into action while also exploring a lot of the morality of what goes on in war and humanity. It was a better film that I expected it to be as I had a ball watching it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I just saw it and... man.... I want my mother to see this.
    My 3 siblings & I have had plans to see Wonder Woman this Sunday – our Mom found out and wants in! Her kids are all big comic/superhero fans and this is the first time I can ever remember her wanting to tag along for one of these movies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I took my daughter to see this last Friday (her first opening-night flick) and we both loved it! Had just the right amount of humour, heart, action... everything worked well. Gal Gadot was a total badass, many of her feats elicited cheers from the audience, and was perfect in the role, as were the supporting cast (how anyone can not love Chris Pine is beyond me). Although I did really enjoy Man of Steel, this is easily my favourite film of the DCEU... which I know isn't really saying much. I hope we get to see more like it, and less like BvS and Suicide Squad.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I disagree fully. Not sure what you were looking for? It had superb action, a strong cast of characters I instantly gave a shit about and an interesting take on an undiscovered character in most cinema. I thought the film had subtle nods to injustices that were always seen as shrugged off (slavery mention with secretary, Native American mistreatment, women being involved, etc.) like it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things when reflecting.

As for Diana learning and seeing the Modern World with the help of a man, well it kinda makes sense as he's her only link to our world from Themiscyra. Why wouldn't she be seeing things through him? She questions everything and all perceptions due to not ever seeing them before. Man or woman you'd question a world through the only viable source you could, which in this case was Steve. I didn't feel it diminished her power or feminine strength. She literally owns every male character in the film and never bows to anyone's will but her own. The only male character she befell to for a short period of time was the main villain, Ares. I enjoyed his casting, it made for an unlikely foe out in left field. His armor and design was cool as fuck as far as I was concerned.
    I think those things are still more or less shrugged off.

If you examine the lets call it the mansplaining problem for short, within the context of the actual ot itnobscurs your view of the issue because youre operating on the logic as dictated by the writers.

But all of the justifications you provide are fictional inventions by the writers. These are all the products of choices. Everything about Steve, his gender, his identity, his power in their dynamic, are all inventions and choices. Setting the film in a certain time period, choosing to make wonder woman naive to so.e elements of the world and not others, centering the plot around her discovery of that world. These are all choices and some of the are very fundamental to the plot. But ultimately they didnt have to make these choices. Wonder woman could have had more agency, dialogue, had another woman as a guide, or had additional women to suport or oppose her elsewhere in the cast.

These are exppectations i pprojected on Wonder Woman more than other super hero movies, but those others should pprobably meet similar exppectations and the bar is just super low right now.

Even aside all that it ends up just being a by the numbers super hero movie. A few things hapen at random, theres an extremely arbitrary twist. Theres a very good action sequence in the middle. Ultimately i wanted a lot more from it.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I saw it on Saturday and it was...good.

It did have some issues for me, the CG looked sub par in some of the shots that kinda took me out of the film (this could just be me as i tend to see this stuff more then most movie fans, and the DCEU have had history with some not great looking effects) the 3rd act was a bit of a mass (again adding to the CG effects i had issue with) and the pacing was sometimes a bit rushed? But the positives outweigh the negatives, the fight scenes are well thought out and fun to watch, the characters were really likable and the 2 act was just BRILLIANT! Seriously seeing Diana witness all the horrors of war to then go ham with on them some great fights scenes was fantastic.
    All in all an above average movies for me, flirting with awesome at times, but not quite up there with Logan or Your Name (the 2 best films i've seen this year) but certainly worth seeing and defiantly the best of the DCEU. If they follow this path the film universe might be savable, maybe even...good.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)