Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC Extended Universe Thread

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    I know people already complain about how long and overstuffed BvSoJ was as it is, but I'm actually really excited to see the longer cut.

I like Snyder's Watchmen just fine but the longer version really is much better.

Very cool news about the Geoff Johs promotion, too. When I started watching The Flash I was pleasantly surprised to see his name in the credits and then it finally made sense how the show managed to be so good despite the handicap of its CW actors and all that.

Speaking of which, it never ceases to crack me up when people lament the DCEU not simply folding the CW shows into the movieverse. Say what you will about the acting in the movies but it stands head and shoulders above the acting in the tv shows, lol. Most of those actors simply ARE NOT ready for the big leagues and likely never will be.
    I think the issues with BvS' length has everything to do with pacing which is a result of editing and the ultimate cut is what the movie was going to be originally. IIRC they literally were told like a couple months before release "we need you to take out about forty minutes and edit it down" meaning the cut you saw in a theatre was not the one they'd spent the past year working on. Some movies are absurdly long but feel perfect, some are extremely short but feel like an insane drag and all that's because of editing and pacing so I've been really interested in seeing the "intended" cut of the film.

Johns is great and it makes me really hopeful that he'll be calling more shots. The guy has been involved in so many huge DC stories and I'm infinitely more excited for Green Lantern now since he's a king of that universe.

I'm glad they're not incorporating the shows because my least favorite aspect of the MCU is that there's a million things and if you miss out on one random episode of some TV show or don't see some one-shot thing you might not know exists there's relevant info you won't get. It's all the worst aspects of comics brought into movies which removes a big advantage of film franchises vs. comics -- you just see a couple films every few years and you're good, whereas there's so many comics where if you don't read some random issue of some character you don't follow you won't know what the hell is going on in the next five of your favorite character's series. It can be a real bitch and I like that I can just see the DC movies and not then need to seek out a bunch of other things to know why something's happening or who someone is in an upcoming film. Franchise fatigue is a big problem for me and just getting a couple movies a year would really do a lot to keep that from happening to me with DC stuff.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Don't know if this has been mentioned but, supposedly a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle team-up movie is rumored to be in the works.
    Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk said they are interested in doing the film.
    If this is done right it will be pure comedy gold (no pun intended) and exactly what the DC cinematic universe needs in my opinion.
    I really hope the movie happens.
    http://screenrant.com/booster-gold-b...e-warner-bros/
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...s-booster-gold
    http://www.inquisitr.com/2916924/boo...will-be-happy/

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

So, why was the footage in this cut to begin with?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    List of special features and box art. I'm super psyched. Glad they're including both cuts.

I think these new Ultimate Edition scenes were cut simply to keep the film at a more manageable, commercial length.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post

I think these new Ultimate Edition scenes were cut simply to keep the film at a more manageable, commercial length.
    I want to agree yet it seems like plenty of extraneous or cut-able things were kept in while Batman breaking into LexCorp and actual dialogue about Batman killing people were cut. In general the biggest issue with BvS stems from a lack of actual communication between characters and little discussion of motivation or behavior in a lot of ways. Tons of people seemed confused about the Africa plot and this looks like it'll make far more sense of it as well.

In general at this point studios ought to realize that if they expect Snyder to deliver a good product, it's going to take him 3 hours. If they don't like that then they shouldn't let him direct. This seems like another Watchmen Ultimate Cut situation where the thing is vastly improved by being the movie it was originally intended to be in the first place, but unlike that, this seems like a lot of the cut scenes actually were pretty important.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    http://deadline.com/2016/06/the-flas...os-1201766332/

This is good news. Dope was absolutely fantastic.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    @0:46-Ode Mountain's mama!!!!! Yeah, I know. Ode Mountain DeLorenzo Malone is a weird-ass name. What do you expect from a child whose parents are hippies and one of them is one of the most underrated actresses working today?
    Last edited by thevoid99; 06-02-2016 at 09:41 PM. Reason: needed to correct the time. I got excited.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Looking forward to seeing the Ultimate Cut!

I'm sure they made some tough calls in the editing room they kind of regret in hindsight. But yeah, when movies are trimmed significantly for shorter runtimes it's generally for the sake of allowing it to be screened more times each day and purely financial concerns.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Oh, I heard Suicide Squad will be.... PG-13..... well then...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Oh, I heard Suicide Squad will be.... PG-13..... well then...

I don't know, man. They had me at "...disturbing behavior..."

See y'all on August 5th!

Oh, and The Killing Joke will be in theaters for one night only. Pretty awesome. I hope a place near me ends up showing it!
    Last edited by Deadpool; 06-09-2016 at 12:06 AM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I am SO there.

On BOTH counts!

XD

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    They're apparently aware of what people didn't like about BvS and will try to change the Justice League movie up a bit.

Journalists were welcomed to the set, and a few scenes are described they were filming are described here, including Bruce recruiting Barry to be in the JL (minor spoilers)

Upgraded Batmobile:

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Also, logo and official synopsis:

Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    No.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    In general these are very good news but on the other hand I am a bit worried. Personally I loved the tone and bleakness of BvS, especially considering the age of Bruce Wayne and how fierce he is, while is Batman is a true brute.

For a Justice League movie I get where they are coming from since the incorporation of a character like the Flash may only work on a lighter note and Superman as well is a more brighter character. The Wonder Woman footage we got to see is also really dark in its tone from what we have seen so I wonder if they will reshoot bits for that one in hindsight. Yet I hope Affleck will keep a very dark tone to his own Batman movie and thrives towards the more adult story lines and the Arkham games.

What do you guys think? I never thought that the tone and darkness of BvS was its biggest problem. Actually this was exactly what made it stand out for me among other superhero flicks these days and worked really well with the character of Batman in this time and age, but maybe not with Superman and the future Justice League.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Terrio has said before all this that Justice League was to be lighter in tone. The plan was to have BvS be the dark chapter and this to be redemption or whatever. Im stoked, I liked BvS alot, and hope to love it after watching the Ultimate Cut in a few weeks.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Yeah a while ago I think they said that the plan was always for BvS to be the darkest DC movie, they just ended up skipping another Superman and a Batman solo film which I think made people feel that it was the immediate tone whereas I think it would've been a gradual shift originally.

BTW I don't get the crowd that are saying because SS isn't R-rated that it'll somehow be bad. The Dark Knight is PG-13 and yet that's about as dark as you can get when it comes to superhero movies. I remember kids crying because of Ledger when I saw it. It's weird. If DC makes dark movies everyone rants about dark movies. If DC doesn't make ultra-edgy hardcore movies everyone bitches that they're "lightening up." Pretty much all the issues people lobbied against BvS are present in spades in the new X-Men yet the defense force was in full show over that one. It's so weird to me the tribalism around costume movies that people have.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Ever since deadpool everyone wants a rated r comic movie these days, but that movie isnt a joker movie and doesnt need a R rating. Its a suicide squad movie and its going to have comic book violence. Thats it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    If you left BvS disappointed , do yourself a favor and watch the ultimate cut. It feels like a different movie due to it flowing better. They made a huge mistake cutting out critical scenes.

Never watch the the theatrical cut again. If this version was released Instead, it wouldnt as been as decisive as it was.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    If you left BvS disappointed , do yourself a favor and watch the ultimate cut. It feels like a different movie due to it flowing better. They made a huge mistake cutting out critical scenes.

Never watch the the theatrical cut again. If this version was released Instead, it wouldnt as been as decisive as it was.
    Very cool. I personally didn't leave BvS disappointed, but I'm crazy excited for the Ultimate Cut just the same.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    If thats the case, you are going to love it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Isn't the ultimate cut over 3 hours though? That's crazy long

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I just saw Batman vs Superman Ultimate Cut... well I watched it in two parts since I fell asleep around the middle of the movie. Not a great sign. But it was my first time seeing the movie and it left me feeling bleh. I'm not some Marvel fanboy since I only really like Guardians Of The Galaxy and I enjoyed Ant-Man while the rest of the Marvel universe hasn't really done it for me. But BvS really was a huge disappointment. And with some pretty terrible effects. Batman definitely stole the show, but he still couldn't save this movie. Nowhere near Nolan's Batman, which I'm sorry to say pisses all over this. The only thing better with Batman from BvS is when you got to see Batman fight some henchmen. Ben Affleck can be a great Batman if there was someone talented behind the camera and someone talented with a pen to bring the story to life. But this movie was just empty, a hollow meandering mess. I felt no sense of momentum, no tension, no real connection to any of the characters or its story. Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor didn't bother me too much. I kinda like where he went with the character at points, but just can't pull of being intimidating. DC definitely went down the wrong path by rushing into these movies to pump out a Justice League film. If people are saying that the Ultimate Cut is so much better, wow the theatrical cut must be a real piece of shit because the Ultimate cut just didn't deliver. The whole Doomsday character and fighting looked horrible. You would think CGI has improved over the years, but the characters look video game-ish when it comes to the fights. People can bash on Nolan's Batman all they want, but it's miles better than where they are at this moment. I do hope Affleck can take the reigns on his own Batman solo movie and deliver a kick ass incarnation. Just get rid of fucking Zak Snyder and whoever these hacks they've hired to write Man of Steal and BvS.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor didn't bother me too much.
    You meant to write The Riddler, right?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    You meant to write The Riddler, right?
    That would have been a better fit to be honest.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i like BvS UE. i thought it was a solid movie but not amazing. also, i never saw the original cut in theaters.

the last third of the movie was overdone with cgi and the nightmare scene was jarring with it's placement but overall very informative about what will be in justice league.

looking forward to the solo batman and justice league movie.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    God I get that it's always a part of the marketing with these characters (I still remember the sea of ugly "look how crazy I am" Ledger-Joker shirts you'd see every-goddamn-where in 2008) but I can't help but cringe a bit every time I see that type of "the SICKEST ever" BS. It's just so gimmicky. I am really falling in love with how inhuman and unreal Leto's Joker looks, though (I could live without the tattoos but I'm really very indifferent towards them).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It's really lovely to see official, live action, cinematic versions of Joker and Harley together on a magazine cover – for a long time, I thought the closest we'd ever get to such a thing would be this classic Alex Ross piece.

It's less than a month until Suicide Squad, and I feel like they've been playing the marketing fairly close to the chest compared to BvS (which, especially for a 2.5 hour movie, had a lot revelaed prior to release). I hope they maintain this level of relative secrecy: we haven't seen any real interactions between Joker & Harley, or even that much of Joker himself, and that is enormously exciting to me

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I got used to the tats, although I still don't prefer them. But really this all comes down to how well Leto performs, and I hope he doesn't disappoint because I like him as an actor.