Page 97 of 137 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 4099

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I have no seen New Mutants, and i really enjoyed it! I loved the horror elements, and like others have said the film actually has something to say. The final act does kinda do the whole big CG battle, but i really enjoyed the characters and how they were acted. My biggest grip is that this was the original cut from back in 2017, when Fox still wanted to make a big Mutant CU. The film teases this with a villian that, in the context of a horror darker film, would have been fucking AWESOME! But we'll never get it now. But this is a much better send off to the Fox age of Marvel films then Dark Phoenix was, so there is that.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    ^^ about that battle, they do cut away from the action quite a bit , and I think that's what those expensive reshoots were probably about. Rather than adding warlock which would not have worked at all

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Fixed now, and I feel like a fucking idiot. This is the exact kind of unthinking white guy shit I try to avoid, and that guys like Lee & Chan had to deal with, and that Lee was trying to dispel. Ugh.
    No worries man. I literally was just wondering if Jackie Chan maybe passed away recently too and I didn’t know it, lol. I took no offense to it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished re-watching Daredevil S3... yowzah! I really like all three seasons and like how they flow from one to another. Kingpin was great. Bullseye was great. I'm happy with there just being the three seasons though. Now we can give the character a breather and in another decade or so bring him back up for air.

If the Moonknight series comes close to this, I'll be a happy boy.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Anyone else caught Black Panther last night? I saw an article online that said that ABC would be airing BP commercial free and that it would be followed by a tribute to Chadwick.

I haven't seen it since its release. Obviously, it takes on a different meaning now. The tribute part was also very moving, with many Marvel actors sharing their memories of him. There was also interviews with a few actors who had work with him. RDJ even said that, in his opinion, Black Panther is the most important movie in the MCU. I agree.

Wakanda forever!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    If I'm being perfectly honest, I don't think Black Panther would make my top 10 favorite MCU movies, but I agree that it probably has more cultural significance than any other MCU movie. The tribute was indeed moving.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Re-watched Captain America: The First Avenger and I finally noticed that the Red Skull's plan has the same general goal as the future Project Insight (destroyed Hydra enemies from the sky no matter where they were on Earth).

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Re-watched Captain America: The First Avenger and I finally noticed that the Red Skull's plan has the same general goal as the future Project Insight (destroyed Hydra enemies from the sky no matter where they were on Earth).
    Captain America has the best trilogy in the MCU, by far. In fact, the only superhero franchise with a comparatively great trilogy is Batman with The Dark Knight trilogy (which I'd say is best overall). Thor has a weak 2nd entry and Iron Man has a weak final installment (most people point to the 2nd one, but I continue to defend that movie). Here's hoping Spider-Man: Homesick (or whatever it'll be called) makes a case for Spider-Man, whose original Sam Raimi-directed run comes really close, but again, falls short with the final entry. I'm guessing that Guardians Vol. 3 will round out another fantastic trilogy, but the Captain American movies took a character I never cared that much about as a kid and made him a favorite of mine. All three Cap movies were excellent, but in my opinion, they got better as they went along. If you were to include the Avengers movies, he comes dangerously close to edging out Tony Stark for "best overall arc in the MCU."

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    If I'm being perfectly honest, I don't think Black Panther would make my top 10 favorite MCU movies, but I agree that it probably has more cultural significance than any other MCU movie. The tribute was indeed moving.
    Black Panther is great for a really long time. But man the poor, rushed CGI really kills things at times, especially in the final battle. Brutal to look at.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Captain America has the best trilogy in the MCU, by far. In fact, the only superhero franchise with a comparatively great trilogy is Batman with The Dark Knight trilogy (which I'd say is best overall). Thor has a weak 2nd entry and Iron Man has a weak final installment (most people point to the 2nd one, but I continue to defend that movie). Here's hoping Spider-Man: Homesick (or whatever it'll be called) makes a case for Spider-Man, whose original Sam Raimi-directed run comes really close, but again, falls short with the final entry. I'm guessing that Guardians Vol. 3 will round out another fantastic trilogy, but the Captain American movies took a character I never cared that much about as a kid and made him a favorite of mine. All three Cap movies were excellent, but in my opinion, they got better as they went along. If you were to include the Avengers movies, he comes dangerously close to edging out Tony Stark for "best overall arc in the MCU."
    Agreed. Captain America was the only one to have solid movies.

I've been re-watching all of the Marvel movies (Disney+ and quarantine!), and I refuse to re-watch Iron Man 3. No one wants to watch emo Iron Man. Ever. The second was ok...but the plot went goofy with the message-from-dad-I-love-you stuff towards the end.

Don't even get me started on Thor... the first was decent for setting the stage. The second was just SOOOOOOO cringe. The third wasn't really a Thor movie...it was more Thor in Guardians of the Galaxy. As a movie it was ok, but it lost the Thor feeling. For me it just felt too colorful.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I love Shane Black movies and I loved the first Iron Man so to me Iron Man 3 is one of those "you got chocolate in my peanut butter!" moments.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'll defend Thor 2 till the end of my days... It is just fine. Ragnarok was a breath of fresh air and loved every minute of it.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

While we are talking about the Avengers, I thought I would share this.
    Last edited by marodi; 09-01-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Iron Man done, to address an earlier post (Rogers or Stark re: story arc), I think that Tony has the largest character development arc but Steve has a more satisfying one. Also interesting to note that Tony starts his self-sacrifice as a "winning" tactic (but if it doesn't, he's okay with that whole death thing, but also what motivates him to create systems of protection so he doesn't have to).

I wonder if I'll keep doing one a day. Probably. And then I can take a nice Marvel breather.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Cap definitely has the better movies, but to be fair, I really cannot pick one arc over the other; Unfortunately, Tony's ended the only way it could, with Steve having a very nice and deserved ending to his arc.

Watching all these movies again from when Cap and Tony first met, to their spiraling relationship that took place before and during Civil War, you really see how much these two characters went through, even if at one point they thought what they were doing was right as far as keeping the Avengers in check. Fuck, I would have loved to see Steve and Tony have one last conversation before he went.

I really hope Black Widow throws a wrench in the spokes and gives us a surprise we never saw coming. Ugh, it just seems so out of place already.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I should also talk about the mid and post credits scenes and the one-shots. If you're watching, like me, off of physical media, you know that "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way To Thor's Hammer" is on the Captain America: The First Avengers release... and if you're watching like I am, chronologically of the story (and not of release order) you know that Thor doesn't happen quite yet. So... what am I getting at? Well, I think that showing Coulson in that one-shot actually works before Iron Man. Yes, in Iron Man we're introduced to Coulson but that one-shot shows us that we should pay attention to the assuming man in the suit. So, while we the audience know that something is going on with that character, having him interact with Pepper and Stark and the assumptions they have about him is fun to watch.

Will I have the same opinion of the other one-shots and credits scenes? Probably not, but I like this one.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I should also talk about the mid and post credits scenes and the one-shots. If you're watching, like me, off of physical media, you know that "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way To Thor's Hammer" is on the Captain America: The First Avengers release... and if you're watching like I am, chronologically of the story (and not of release order) you know that Thor doesn't happen quite yet. So... what am I getting at? Well, I think that showing Coulson in that one-shot actually works before Iron Man. Yes, in Iron Man we're introduced to Coulson but that one-shot shows us that we should pay attention to the assuming man in the suit. So, while we the audience know that something is going on with that character, having him interact with Pepper and Stark and the assumptions they have about him is fun to watch.

Will I have the same opinion of the other one-shots and credits scenes? Probably not, but I like this one.
    "the consultant" one-shot that links up with the ending of the incredible hulk is great. i hadn't watched it until recently.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    "the consultant" one-shot that links up with the ending of the incredible hulk is great. i hadn't watched it until recently.
    So, if the logic follows, you're saying that "The Consultant" works well going into The Avengers (I can see it in my head working out but I just wanted to clarify)?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    So, if the logic follows, you're saying that "The Consultant" works well going into The Avengers (I can see it in my head working out but I just wanted to clarify)?
    not sure where exactly i'd put it in watch order, given that part of it was already shown at the end of the incredible hulk

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    not sure where exactly i'd put it in watch order, given that part of it was already shown at the end of the incredible hulk
    K... well, I guess I'll find out in a day or so.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The Incredible Hulk; what to say... what to say... I mean, I've always generally enjoyed it, so there's that. Same thing this time around. However... I do wish in the future MCU movies they would have referenced Betsy. And how much does Natasha know about Betsy (I'd assume, you know, everything).

I really like Roth as Blonsky (and as Abomination). Blonsky into a tree is still one of my all time favourite Marvel hits. I would like to see a Blonsky / Winter Soldier adventure (or maybe Abomination / Winter Soldier tracking down Banner in Canada... Hydra would like Hulk very much thank you). I would also like to see the development of Stern as Mastermind.

I don't mind Norton as Hulk but you can't put Norton in the future MCU movies nor Ruffalo into this one. I'll just chalk it up to different facets in the evolution of the Hulk character.

one fun fact I guess; so we all know that Brooklyn fight scene was filmed in Toronto, right? I've been in that Sam The record Man store... but not the Zanzibar.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 09-05-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    To me, Norton always felt incredibly miscast for Banner. Ugh, I want a new Hulk movie so bad.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    re one shots: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_One-Shots

Norton as Banner: he is missing the human side of Bruce. Norton is too "cerebral". I never really related to his predicament of turning into an enormous green rage monster. I feel sorry for Ruffalo's Bruce. I absolutely get that Natasha fell for him. He's very, very lovable.

I can't imagine Norton's Bruce as Tony's bff. Imagine the MCU without the science bros. It's unthinkable.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    What about it?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    What about it?
    The article explains not only in what order they came out but how they fit into the chronology. The Consultant takes place before the ending of The Incredible Hulk. A Funny Thing... happens after Iron Man 2 because in the movie, Coulson tells Tony that he is leaving for New Mexico to deal with "something", which happens to be Mjolnir. In fact, Thor himself arrives before his hammer.

And Coulson is in both because he's cool like that.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    The article explains not only in what order they came out but how they fit into the chronology.
    Were any of us confused about it?

If this is a response to my comments above, then... uh... I know what order they are supposed to go in. And I'm deliberately not doing that... I'm just watching them as they come along my physical media and seeing how they work from a one-shot to the next feature.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^
    Oh. My bad then. I must have had a brain fart when I read them. Stupid old age!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Iron Man 2... probably my favourite overall MCU movie (although, that may change with the re-watching...), to me, it has a lot of charm.

Natasha as Natalie was a great introduction and Natasha as Agent Romanoff was also a great introduction.
    "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to exit the donut." is still a fantastic line and nice reintroduction to Fury.
    Rourke as Ivan Vanko/Whiplash worked well for me... but I do want to know more about Anton Vanko (yeah, Agent Carter has a little more... but nothing that really adds to his future).
    Justin Hammer is a nice weasel villain...
    Even Happy's expanded role was good to see.
    I liked the evolution of some scenes from the first to the second movie (one mini missile vs. tank / many mini missiles vs 3 Hammerdrones).
    Coulson was still great "I'm not here for that.".
    Even the revamped Stark Expo was cool to see.
    and RIP DJ AM....
    And the post-credits scene of Coulson arriving at Thor's hammer works without the one-shot.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Abomination / Whiplash story (those two go rampage somewhere).

And I like the fan theory that the kid in the Iron Man mask (who aims at a Hammerdrone) is Peter Parker.

Yeah, so... I obviously still like and enjoy the movie.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 09-04-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Thor was still good. Still funny. It reminds of The Incredible Hulk in a lot of ways but with better humour.
    And Jane is a lot better than Betsy (and she gets mentioned, and is in, future MCU movies). Better than Pepper at this point at as well. Foster is more on par with Carter.
    Darcy taking down Thor with a Taser was funny.
    The "Walking on Rainbows" t-shirt that Foster was wearing was adorkably contextual.
    "Oh my god" was a nice line too...

We've talked about Tony and Steve, but Thor's character arc is pretty big too...

"The Consultant" one-shot is still great. Oh Sitwell.
    Last edited by MrLobster; 09-05-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Thor was still good. Still funny. It reminds of The Incredible Hulk in a lot of ways but with better humour.
    And Jane is a lot better than Betsy (and she gets mentioned, and is in, future MCU movies). Better than Pepper at this point at as well. Foster is more on par with Carter.
    Darcy taking down Thor with a Taser was funny.
    The "Walking on Rainbows" t-shirt that Foster was wearing was adorkably contextual.
    "Oh my god" was a nice line too...

We've talked about Tony and Steve, but Thor's character arc is pretty big too...

"The Consultant" one-shot is still great. Oh Sitwell.
    i just finished it. still great. but i'm realizing that watching these movies by myself isn't that fun.

thor trying to procure a horse at the pet store is hilarious. as is pretty much all of the humor in the movie.

what's with all of the dutch angles on jane, though? so out of place and unnecessary.