Page 12 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I don't think it'll be anything more than a loose adaptation of the principles behind Civil War - oversight v. freedom. Civil War is just a comics buzzword at this point, something that generates hype even if attaching it to a given thing makes no sense.

Having said that, I'm hyped out of my fucking mind for this movie, now. Seeing Tony develop into his Civil War version played by RDJ is insane to think about, and I think they'll really do it well, so long as they don't try to make this Civil War on the big screen. Because, obviously, it can't ever be that.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Latest round of contenders for the Dr Strange role: Colin Farrell, Benedict Cumberbatch and Keanu Reeves.

If true, I kind of agree with the article that Farrell and Sherlock are too busy. That leaves Keanu about whom I have this to say:

1-He's a better actor than most people think.

2-I happen to like Constantine. As an actor, he did what he could with the material that was given to him. Don't blame him for not being the same as in the comics.

3-If he could pull Neo, he can pull Strange.

4-Man of Tai Chi, the movie he directed and starred in, has a 71% fresh rate on RT. The man knows what he's doing.

5-John Wick, his upcoming movie, has a 100% fresh rating on RT, for now. The man is doing something right, obviously.

I think it could work.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Keanu gets a bad rap, yeah, but it would be interesting if he did Dr. Strange. Would he commit to what Marvel wants out of actors in the MCU, though? That's the question.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    @Final Destiny That's a good question indeed.

I guess it depends on what Marvel wants to do with the character. Will they give him a stand alone, origin movie and then keep him for ensemble ones like the Avengers?

And there's the matter of where he wants his career to go. If he's leaning towards directing, he may be interested in a contract like this just because it would help him finance his smaller movies.

There are all sort of reasons why an actor will accept a role. My all time favorite one is James Spader: he said, back in 1994, that he accepted the role of Daniel Jackson in Stargate (the movie) because he thought the script was awful and he was intrigued about how the movie would turn out.
    Last edited by marodi; 10-18-2014 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I don't think they need the X-Men for MCU, The X-men are AS crowded as the MCU by themselves, and they would threaten to dilute each other. Certainly MCU needs spiderman,m but I think that them being separate is actually a good thing.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Official teaser up.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    It does say that they are in "final negotiations" with him. Maybe it's part of the news that'll be announced tomorrow during Agents of Shield (with new footage from AoU)?

I'll reserve my squeeing until then. *makes tiny noise*

edit: Variety is reporting it too. *makes louder noise*
    Last edited by marodi; 10-27-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Fucking christ. I didn't want this.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm not feeling Cumberbatch's casting, either. Nothing against him as an actor, but I would have hoped for someone less well known and dare I say it, white.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Thank you!!! I thought I was the only one who thinks he's terrible for the role (and overrated in general). I just don't see the appeal at all, especially for Doc Strange.
    Out of all the casting news I've read, I'd say Joaquin Phoenix was the best overall choice.
    Last edited by Swykk; 10-27-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    He can act, I'm sure they'll make it work somehow and I'm curious what kind of makeup/garb they'll come up with for him... I've seen a convincing photoshop although i have a feeling he won't resemble anything like it once they nail down the final look of the character but DEFINITELY not who i had in mind (it rarely ever happens that i have the same idea as a casting director after all as I'm sure is the case for most people).

I wanted Wes Bentley though. *shrugs*

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I love Doctor Strange and while I was rooting for my fellow Canuck Keanu, I think Ben can do a great job.

I guess we'll see in two years how it will turn out.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The guy is about to win the oscar for best actor and were complaining that he's too white? Jesus. Whatever happened to taking talent over appearance? Isn't that what we applauded Marvel for doing in the past?

He's going to absolutely kill it, end of story.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Cher won an Oscar.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Whether he wins the oscar or not is irrelevant, don't be trite. The guy can clearly act at an extremely high level and is a world class talent.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    That's exactly my point, though. I DON'T agree he's a great actor. At all. The last Star Trek kind of proved that for me, though that movie had a lot of problems for sure.
    Last edited by Swykk; 10-28-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Are you basing that opinion solely off Star Trek though? Because I wasn't crazy about him in that film either.

I won't lie having seen Imitation Game took him to another level for me, but I still respected him well before that. He is great in Sherlock, while the film wasn't super impressive he was stellar in Fifth Estate, not to mention August Osage County, 12 Years a Slave, War Horse, Tinker, Tailor Soldier Spy, etc. films. How many of his roles have you actually seen?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Sherlock much like Dr Who and the really insipid Torchwood does nothing for me. I'm sure that's the origin of me finding him completely benign--I think that's his demographic. I have no desire to see any of those other movies you listed apart from 12 Years A Slave, which was pretty good but not the masterpiece it was touted as.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Marvel event happening today, so far:

- Captain America 3 will be called 'Captain America: Civil War', coming out 5/6/2016.
    - Doctor Strange coming out 11/4/2016. "The idea of this film (Doctor Strange) is to open up an entire new supernatural corner of the cinematic universe."
    - Guardians of the Galaxy 2 release date moved up from July, 2017 to the first weekend of summer, May 5, 2017.
    - Thor 3 on July 28, 2017, called "Thor: Ragnarok."
    - Nov 3, 2017: Black Panther, played by Chadwick Boseman.
    - July 6, 2018: Captain Marvel
    - Nov 2, 2018: The Inhumans. Will introduce "dozens of new characters" and could be its own franchise.
    - Third Avengers movie, 'Avengers: Infinity War' is a two part movie: Part 1 May 2018, Part 2 May 2019.

Last edited by october_midnight; 10-28-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Serpent Society? Come on, son! Did anyone not know that was a swerve?

Also, no Planet Hulk. Hmm.
    Last edited by Swykk; 10-28-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh lawd!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Ragnarok bitches!

And it's strange that they haven't confirm Cumberbatch...

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Holy fucking shit. What a line-up.

And Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel!! Thank god, that's awesome.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Omg omg omg!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    where'd that pic come from october midnight?

Also OOOHHH MWERRR GAWWD!!!!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Someone recorded the trailer to Infinity War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    "The idea of this film (Doctor Strange) is to open up an entire new supernatural corner of the cinematic universe."
    Exactly how populated is that corner?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal04 View Post
    Exactly how populated is that corner?
    New Avengers / Iluminati. That doesn't directly answer your question, but it could help facilitate a better, more cohesive Cinematic Universe that branches out into all of the "corners", if you will.

(Edit): The Inhumans made their first appearance in Fantastic Four #45. Maybe we'll get a little FF action in it? Also, going with my above point, The Thing was in the New Avengers.

(Edit 2): Really looks like they're headed for the 'House Of M' story.
    Last edited by Aywok; 10-28-2014 at 10:39 PM.