Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Ferry - Is Your Love Strong Enough

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Has anyone got a pirated copy of the film yet, to see if the song really is different at the end, or if it's just a few of us were drunk?
    No it's definitely different. In the film her voice starts off way in the background drenched in reverb, and then slowly comes forward in the mix. Sounds great.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    No it's definitely different. In the film her voice starts off way in the background drenched in reverb, and then slowly comes forward in the mix. Sounds great.
    This is correct. It's quite different in the film.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Unfortunately the song starts a minute or two into the credits, so the cinema is likely to have cleared before the reverb dies down (mine certainly did).

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    The song is definitely a bit different in the end credits of the movie. I actually liked it more. The album version, her vocals are SO dry. I dont hate it, but whatever effects they added for the credit version helped.

And why is everyone saying Phil Collins? He sounds WAY more like Peter Gabriel IMO. (both from the band Genesis, so I guess either way is fine)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed the difference, more subtle and eerie. Really fits with the ending and credits

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's probably just the power of suggestion, but I'm hearing a bit of Phil in Trent's vocal too.

Here's the video for the original, featuring Bryan and Gilmour, during his chubby coke-head phase.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 03-01-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Unfortunately the song starts a minute or two into the credits, so the cinema is likely to have cleared before the reverb dies down (mine certainly did).
    Yeah, when I stayed behind for it I was the only one left in the theater and I felt really weird and a little creepy.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I always stay for full credits anyway, you get used to being weird

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Does it play right to the end of the end credits?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Pretty much, there's an extended drone to the end I think. Oh, and once the DVD is out, I'll be happy to rip that take of the audio, if we don't have it by then.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Oh, and once the DVD is out, I'll be happy to rip that take of the audio, if we don't have it by then.
    I was thinking the exact same thing while I was listening to it in the theatre.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I don't get what's good about the original or the cover version of this track. One of the most boring movie songs ever written in my opinion. So fucking boring.

Trent's version succeeded to even turn it into a more bland song.
    Last edited by hobochic; 02-01-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Terrible music

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    I don't get what's good about the original or the cover version of this track. Once of the most boring movie songs ever written in my opinion. So fucking boring.

Trent's version succeeded to even turn it into a more bland song.
    Disagreed completely. The original is a decent song, but Trent and Co. made it stand out a lot more. If you really think this new version is even more bland than the original, I don't know what to say. I think they improved upon it in every aspect.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Has anyone got the film version yet? It's a bit hard to rip since the last track where Lisbeth drives off on her motorcycle segues into the song, but it's definately different and a bit shorter to (approx 10 seconds)...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Holy cuntballs is this song good.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Disagreed completely. The original is a decent song, but Trent and Co. made it stand out a lot more. If you really think this new version is even more bland than the original, I don't know what to say. I think they improved upon it in every aspect.
    I think it's more of a polished t**d kind of deal. If you love the song, more power to you, I prefer Bryan Ferry's original to be honest. The HTDA version is a crispier version a la NIN-kit-sounds as we know them. The original at least fits with its 80's style production. The HTDA version is the type of cover that Marilyn Manson would do after he stopped working with Reznor. Like his cover of Tainted Love - the exact same song (with a different MIDI sound bank) as an even older cover done by Soft Cell. If you're gonna make covers at least re-imagine them and challenge yourself - like Coil did with their cover of Tainted Love.

I think it's awesome that Trent and his wife are making music. This is a new era for Trent that I look forward to. I think they'll make better stuff than this song though. If they don't, and just keep rehashing old *nin*dustrial music with female vocals I'm afraid I'll lose interest.

The irony is that HTDA is supposed to be a tribute to one of the most challenging and groundbreaking musical constellations ever: Coil
    If you're gonna use one of their EP-titles for a new band at least challenge yourself. I hope I get to eat up my own words once the LP gets released.
    Last edited by hobochic; 02-02-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Why does every cover have to suck unless it sounds nothing like the original? I like Coil's version of Tainted Love, but not every cover has to be like that (or should be like that). This cover is respectful to the original, but has enough of its own personality to justify it's existence. If you think it's the same song with a different MIDI bank, then more power to you, but I definitely don't see how anyone could think that.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I've mentioned a few times how much I love this song, but I should also mention that my girls LOVE this song. They've heard me play it while driving many times now. I caught my 8 year old on YouTube a few weeks ago listening to it and pausing every few seconds to write down the lyrics (so cute). Anyway, they brought their iPods over to have me put new music on them and both insisted "You need to put Is Your Love Strong Enough on!"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Here's the thing about the Bryan Ferry cover: its purpose goes beyond that of just covering a song for fun and/or tribute, like say NIN's "Get Down Make Love." Covering "Is Your Love Strong Enough?" was a.) Fincher's idea (not the band's), and b.) recorded specifically for a movie - and no doubt always intended for the end titles. My point is that it's meant for more than strictly being enjoyed on its own merits: it bookends an experience, a narrative, and loosely represents the characters. I love the idea that "Immigrant Song" is Lisbeth's battle cry (Fincher's words), which to me suggests that "Is Your Love..." is like her lament. I've seen The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 4 times in theaters now, and the HTDA cover feels utterly spot-on in terms of tone. I don't know how well a more adventurous cover would have fit - it may have worked better - but as it is, it carries the correct emotion. A movie just isn't the place to expect a ballsy interpretation. I'm not saying it shouldn't be, but when the team of collaborators is SO large (versus an HTDA album which comes down to 4 people including Alan Moulder), the music is more of a frame, and not so much the painting.

I never rush to leave the theater in any movie, but am especially glued to my seat during the credits of Dragon Tattoo. For a film that clearly won't have a Samuel L. Jackson cameo post-credits, that means a lot. Ultimately, the cover feels appropriate in its foremost context, and that's definitely worth something.

Does it deviate from Brian Ferry's original? Not too much, no, but let's not forget that Fincher has a producer credit on the song. I'm sure he wanted it to be relatively faithful - more of an update than a re-imagining. Again, consider that How To Destroy Angels were in a supportive role in this scenario. I wouldn't fret too much about the LP because they're master & commander of that material no matter what: they're making the kind of music they want to make for music's sake. I think we're all in for a treat... and this cover, whether you're a fan of it or not, probably isn't a taste of things to come.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is ok, but The Space in Between was the best thing Trent has done since The Fragile. Liked it way more than the year zero with teeth stuff.
    It gets better every time I hear it, its so dark and seductive. Real hidden depth to it. Her voice is good. Not exactly Liz Fraser but its good enough. I think I liked the song more becuase it did not have Trent's voice on it.

Its like a mixture of Portishead and Coil, Salem and Wendy Carlos's soundtrack for The Shining and dark minimal dubstep!!! I imagine Lindsay Lohan singing it rolling on the floor naked on one of her Benzodiazepine, hydrocodone binges.!!!!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    I imagine Lindsay Lohan singing it rolling on the floor naked on one of her Benzodiazepine, hydrocodone binges.!!!!
    Your whole post made a lot of sense riiiight up to there

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I haven't been keeping up on news. Any news on when this thing is coming out? I was extremely impressed with the cover.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I haven't been keeping up on news. Any news on when this thing is coming out? I was extremely impressed with the cover.
    The movie or the new album? The movie has been out for over a month. The album is due sometime this year.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Here's the thing about the Bryan Ferry cover: its purpose goes beyond that of just covering a song for fun and/or tribute, like say NIN's "Get Down Make Love." Covering "Is Your Love Strong Enough?" was a.) Fincher's idea (not the band's), and b.) recorded specifically for a movie - and no doubt always intended for the end titles.

Does it deviate from Brian Ferry's original? Not too much, no, but let's not forget that Fincher has a producer credit on the song. I'm sure he wanted it to be relatively faithful - more of an update than a re-imagining.
    Good points, I thought about Fincher's influence as well and think it's a valid argument for why things sound like they do.

I loved Fincher's idea for Trent to record Immigrant Song with Karen O, and as much as it derives from the original song it's still a provocative new monster by itself. Karen O's voice and uniqueness pretty much carries the song IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    This is ok, but The Space in Between was the best thing Trent has done since The Fragile. Liked it way more than the year zero with teeth stuff.
    It gets better every time I hear it, its so dark and seductive. Real hidden depth to it. Her voice is good. Not exactly Liz Fraser but its good enough. I think I liked the song more becuase it did not have Trent's voice on it.

Its like a mixture of Portishead and Coil, Salem and Wendy Carlos's soundtrack for The Shining and dark minimal dubstep!!! I imagine Lindsay Lohan singing it rolling on the floor naked on one of her Benzodiazepine, hydrocodone binges.!!!!
    I really loved "The Space in Between" also. I really loved the way Mariqueens voice is almost purring off most of that Ep.
    It does seem every time I listen to the HTDA Ep I hear more of TRs vocals quiet and whispered in the background.
    The production thus far is outstanding, although I woudn't have expected any less.
    Also thanks for placing that visual of Lindsay Lohan in my head...that image will forever be blazed in my mind now listening to it.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but since I have it, would it be all right to post the credits version of the song here? I ripped it from the 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-Ray and downmixed it to a stereo track. The song isn't THAT different compared to the album version, but as someone who seems to have every variation on a NIN track, it makes for a nice companion to the original track.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The answer is probably no, what with copyright laws etc. But if you have the files (stereo or 5.1), I totally have an inbox :P

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Oooh yeah, I'd like to hear that one over again.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Has anyone made an edit removing Trent's vocals?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Has anyone made an edit removing Trent's vocals?
    But then your love won't be stroganoff...