Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 61 to 83 of 83

Thread: Headphones and Amps and DACs... Oh My!

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    1,647
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Thank you. That is very useful. I think I should crack the box and try them. Someone else pointed out that, since the half price deal was only on BF, I could probably sell them on eBay even opened for at least what I paid for it (having said that seems there's plenty on eBay already). But there's no way of knowing if they fill a void in my life without actually trying them.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    2,115
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Does anyone here use a mini amp (2x15-2x20w) to power bookshelf speakers? I'm looking to make up a set of "better than an extremely expensive bluetooth speaker" gear to take on an upcoming move. I've got the speakers already, but I want to leave my bulky 5.1 receiver behind and buy a small amp to power them with instead. I don't need a remote or a sub output, just a stereo amp. The Lepai 2020A+ seems to be a commonly suggested model, but looking for any other opinions.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    2,974
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Does anyone here use a mini amp (2x15-2x20w) to power bookshelf speakers? I'm looking to make up a set of "better than an extremely expensive bluetooth speaker" gear to take on an upcoming move. I've got the speakers already, but I want to leave my bulky 5.1 receiver behind and buy a small amp to power them with instead. I don't need a remote or a sub output, just a stereo amp. The Lepai 2020A+ seems to be a commonly suggested model, but looking for any other opinions.
    I used one of those (similar model, definitely the same brand) with some generic bookshelf speakers for a very short-lived design project last year. The connectors are EXTREMELY flimsy and broke off in transit — in fact, the whole thing is cheap plastic construction, very much hobbyist-DIY quality (ie. not good enough for serious listening) and won't last long. It may work out okay for a while but be sure you can easily return for a refund, that's all I'm saying. Consider investing in proper gear rather than buying $4 worth of parts in a factory-assembled $25 package.

    Or if you want something comparable but just a little bit better, have a look at this.
    Last edited by botley; 12-02-2016 at 05:06 PM.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    2,115
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I used one of those (similar model, definitely the same brand) with some generic bookshelf speakers for a very short-lived design project last year. The connectors are EXTREMELY flimsy and broke off in transit — in fact, the whole thing is cheap plastic construction, very much hobbyist-DIY quality (ie. not good enough for serious listening) and won't last long. It may work out okay for a while but be sure you can easily return for a refund, that's all I'm saying. Consider investing in proper gear rather than buying $4 worth of parts in a factory-assembled $25 package.

    Or if you want something comparable but just a little bit better, have a look at this.
    Great review! I'm all about buying proper gear when it comes to audio (I already have most of it; I just can't take it on this move). In this particular instance it's all about a kind of stop-gap solution. Article definitely had some good food for thought.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So, I'm listening to The Fragile on my new Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless cans. I have a feeling there's slightly too much bass. Anyone have these cans? Does the bass tighten after time??

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    587
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Seems like a good time to be asking this...
    How do I listen to vinyl through headphones? I'm at work right now so can't post my gear but I have the player hooked up to a cheap amp. Said amp has a hole for MP3 but this only lets me plug my phone in and listen to that through the speakers. I'm guessing I need a different amp?

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,167
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Seems like a good time to be asking this...
    How do I listen to vinyl through headphones? I'm at work right now so can't post my gear but I have the player hooked up to a cheap amp. Said amp has a hole for MP3 but this only lets me plug my phone in and listen to that through the speakers. I'm guessing I need a different amp?
    i have mine hooked through my stereo so when i want to use headphones, i just plug them in and it deactivates the speakers. i'm guessing there are some smaller amps that offer a headphone out.

    when you say yours has a "hole for mp3" do you mean a USB port?

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    587
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i have mine hooked through my stereo so when i want to use headphones, i just plug them in and it deactivates the speakers. i'm guessing there are some smaller amps that offer a headphone out.

    when you say yours has a "hole for mp3" do you mean a USB port?
    No, not USB. Lil circle hole that is the same size as a headphone jack, but it only works for input. "Lepai LP-2020A+ Hi-Fi Stereo Power Amplifier" is what I'm using, connected to "Pioneer PL-990" player, and two Sony speakers. I knew/know nothing about this stuff and randomly put this all together via amazon review recommendations a few years ago.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,167
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    No, not USB. Lil circle hole that is the same size as a headphone jack, but it only works for input. "Lepai LP-2020A+ Hi-Fi Stereo Power Amplifier" is what I'm using, connected to "Pioneer PL-990" player, and two Sony speakers. I knew/know nothing about this stuff and randomly put this all together via amazon review recommendations a few years ago.
    ah, a 3.5mm line-input jack.

    yeah, that's a pretty tiny amp and doesn't have anything but speaker outs. so your choices are a) get a different amp that offers a headphone out port (either 3.5mm or 1/4" will work fine, as long as you have an adapter for your chosen pair of headphones) or b) find a separate headphone amp that will take a line input (since your turntable has a built-in phono amp) and plug your turntable into that when you want to use it.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Turtle Island
    Posts
    587
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Thank you good sir, I'll get to googling... or amazoning!

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    1,647
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I might open those sennheisers this week. I'm borrowing a focusrite Scarlett to use as amp/dac and new NIN may make for interesting audition material!

    Edit: 16:44 and I haven't opened them today for various reasons; maybe Tomorrow
    Last edited by jmtd; 12-19-2016 at 11:44 AM.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,372
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Need some help. Due to the recent events, I am looking into putting together a system. At a budget of course. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced amplifier with a headphone jack. I am finding great deals yet these amps don't have a headphone jack.

    Can someone point me to the right direction ?

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,167
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Need some help. Due to the recent events, I am looking into putting together a system. At a budget of course. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced amplifier with a headphone jack. I am finding great deals yet these amps don't have a headphone jack.

    Can someone point me to the right direction ?
    https://www.turntablelab.com/product...mi-matte-black

    that will run a pair of speakers, it will connect to powered speakers, it has a headphone jack on the front, AND it has a 3.5mm line-input jack so you can plug your phone into it if you want.

    that said, it DOES NOT have a built-in phono pre-amp. so if the turntable you got has phono out instead of line out, it's not the right thing. what turntable did you get?

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,372
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    https://www.turntablelab.com/product...mi-matte-black

    that will run a pair of speakers, it will connect to powered speakers, it has a headphone jack on the front, AND it has a 3.5mm line-input jack so you can plug your phone into it if you want.

    that said, it DOES NOT have a built-in phono pre-amp. so if the turntable you got has phono out instead of line out, it's not the right thing. what turntable did you get?
    Still looking into it, I wont be purchasing one till I know which one to get and save up for it. I was told an LP-120 was the way to go, or a turntable from u-turn. I am not sure as I am new to this. I want a table that will safely play my records while providing good sound.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,372
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Another question. Would I need an amp with an equalizer or no?

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    6,167
    Mentioned
    308 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Another question. Would I need an amp with an equalizer or no?
    no. as long as your turntable has a built-in phono pre-amp or the amp you get has one, you're fine. equalizers are unnecessary unless you're a super uptight "audiophile" (i put that in quotes because, seriously, i'm an audiophile and i want to listen to things as they are presented, not fuck with them).

    also, u-turn makes solid turntables that are very easy on your records.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'm looking at buying a Lightning-equipped headphone and this one caught my eye.

    Sony MDR-1ADAC

    I like that it has the Lightning connector but also the connector for my NWZ-A27 so I can listen to HD files digitally. The problem is I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews. The few I've read all say "it's alright" but for $250+ I need to know more.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    1,647
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Sennheiser HD598 CS initial review: not as comfortable as the HD438s, tricky to wear on the move (my collar/scarf kept pushing them off my ears). A close fit, good isolation from outside. Sound quality is excellent. Too soon to say more about that; at least as good as the HD438s.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,067
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Cross-post from here...

    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    ATH m50x, bought it 2 days ago. I had ~20$ Philips earbuds, which is surprisingly decent, especially for its cost. Nothing audiophile about it, but sounds good with every genre.
    Part of this is a placebo effect caused by the diaphragms of the earbuds vibrating in closer proximity to your ear drums.

    Honestly, I'd spend some more time with them and figure out what exactly you want for a sound profile. Starting out, any sort of headphone is immediately going to sound more neutral than something jammed by your eardrums. Figure out if it truly is a "depth" issue for your ears, or a difference in volume (which creates differences in subtleties, etc.). You may prefer (and get a better audio experience out of) something with more bass, but I think 2 days is a little early to make a final judgment.

    If you need to adjust anything, I would look into DSP effects for foobar2k rather than using software that came with your soundcard.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    1,598
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    I've been wearing earbuds for years, but a few factors, including constant replacements due to one bud inevitably dying after 3/4 of a year or so of use, and friends being concerned that I play them too loud, led to my finally caving and spending a bit more on the Sennheiser HD 4.30i model. This will take some getting used to, but I think I'm pretty satisfied after about an hour or so of listening.

  21. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    A Warm Place
    Posts
    362
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I might open those sennheisers this week. I'm borrowing a focusrite Scarlett to use as amp/dac and new NIN may make for interesting audition material!

    Edit: 16:44 and I haven't opened them today for various reasons; maybe Tomorrow
    Curious as to how this worked! I'm looking into buying a system and if I can save the money on a preamp (I already have a Scarlett) it would be great!

  22. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    2,974
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    I'm happy with my new Audio-Technica ATH-E40 IEMs (a real bargain at CAD $100) for the subway commute and other casual listening. They isolate well and the midrange sounds good.

  23. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    1,647
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeninphoenix View Post
    Curious as to how this worked! I'm looking into buying a system and if I can save the money on a preamp (I already have a Scarlett) it would be great!
    The headphones are pretty good but I rarely use them for stupid reasons. As I write this I'm listening to internet radio with my AKG 512s (which are my portable set) whilst sat at my work desk, and to my right the Sennheisers are parked on top of my plush cacodemon. What a waste of money.

    The Scarlett didn't work out particularly great, but you couldn't use it as a pre-amp anyway so it wouldn't help you.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions