• Rage Against the Machine
    • Soundgarden
    • The Spinners
    • A Tribe Called Quest
    • The White Stripes
    • Warren Zevon

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Stranger Things no doubt helped Kate Bush, but honestly she should have been nominated years ago. Better late than never. Happy to see Soundgarden nominated again. Surprised that The White Stripes made it the first year that they are eligible, but I think they deserve to get in. I'm actually pretty happy with the list, although The Monkees are snubbed again.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Warren Zevon deserves to get in I think.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I thought that he was inducted years ago.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I thought that he was inducted years ago.
    He should've been. Listen to his live album "Stand in the Fire". That album rocks hard!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    https://www.theringer.com/music/2022...an-anniversary

If he does get in, and he should, I'd be shocked if anyone other than David Letterman gave the introduction.

I mean he should get in on the line "A little old lady got mutilated late last night." alone.
    Last edited by cdm; 02-01-2023 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Stranger Things no doubt helped Kate Bush, but honestly she should have been nominated years ago.
    She was. Last year, the year before that, and 2018. An induction is going to happen either this year, or not at all... though there's also the early influence/musical excellence categories, where the nominating committee can just decide to induct her even though she doesn't win the ballot votes. But her incredible success last year is a good predictor of getting in via the normal route, I think.

The Monkees are snubbed again.

They've really long moved past inducting 60s acts now. Even the Spinners are much more retro than any other artist on the list. Unless a whole new TikTok subgenre suddenly spawns in the wake of the Monkees' influence (Nesmithcore, perhaps?) it's never happening. I personally don't have a problem with any of the acts nominated getting in, but if they induct the White Stripes it'd be literally two months after they first become eligible, which seems a little too early.

Stoked to see Missy Elliot on there, however. I'd say her chances are pretty solid, for a first-time nominee.
    Last edited by botley; 02-01-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post

If he does get in, and he should, I'd be shocked if anyone other than David Letterman gave the introduction.

I mean he should get in on the line "A little old lady got mutilated late last night." alone.
    Play It All Night Long

Grandpa pissed his pants again
    He don't give a damn
    Brother Billy has both guns drawn
    He ain't been right since Vietnam

"Sweet home Alabama"
    Play that dead band's song
    Turn those speakers up full blast
    Play it all night long

Daddy's doing Sister Sally
    Grandma's dying of cancer now
    The cattle all have brucellosis
    We'll get through somehow

"Sweet home Alabama"
    Play it all night long

I'm going down to the Dew Drop Inn
    See if I can drink enough
    There ain't much to country living
    Sweat, piss, jizz and blood

"Sweet home Alabama"
    Play it all night long

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post

I got a little misty reading that article. I remember watching that show when it was broadcast. I saw Warren a few times. The best was with X (with a very pregnant Exene) opening fairly early on. Both bands were fantastic. I need to remember "enjoy every sandwich" as my time is more finite than most. I've been living under a sword of Damocles for well over a decade. Haven't quit fighting but it's getting tougher every day.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    With Depeche Mode, NIN and The Cure in there, it makes sense to let Joy Division and New Order in.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    She was. Last year, the year before that, and 2018. An induction is going to happen either this year, or not at all... though there's also the early influence/musical excellence categories, where the nominating committee can just decide to induct her even though she doesn't win the ballot votes. But her incredible success last year is a good predictor of getting in via the normal route, I think.

They've really long moved past inducting 60s acts now. Even the Spinners are much more retro than any other artist on the list. Unless a whole new TikTok subgenre suddenly spawns in the wake of the Monkees' influence (Nesmithcore, perhaps?) it's never happening. I personally don't have a problem with any of the acts nominated getting in, but if they induct the White Stripes it'd be literally two months after they first become eligible, which seems a little too early.

Stoked to see Missy Elliot on there, however. I'd say her chances are pretty solid, for a first-time nominee.
    I didn't realize Kate Bush had been nominated before. She's awesome.

The Monkees should have been inducted 30 years ago when they were first eligible. It's a shame because 3/4 of them are gone and all four deserved to stand on stage together for an induction. There's still a lot of snobbery about them from the gatekeepers.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    If it occurs or not, Sheryl Crow’s speech will be quite fascinating to watch. Especially as to whether Kevin Gilbert is mentioned at all.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 02-02-2023 at 08:13 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I don't have any issue with Crow being inducted, but it does seem kind of random.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I don't have any issue with Crow being inducted, but it does seem kind of random.
    Woodstock 94 alum!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Woodstock 94 alum!
    So isn't Jackyl.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The inductees

Glad RATM got in. Maiden and Soundgarden were again snubbed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And I bet RATM won't even show up to their induction.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    And I bet RATM won't even show up to their induction.
    Why not? Tom Morello has sat on the nominating committee for the past nine years, so it's not like he has a problem with it. I think there's a great chance they show up and make a provocative theatrical statement with the international exposure the ceremony has.
    Last edited by botley; 05-03-2023 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The post they put up on their socials today acknowledging the band's induction seems to indicate that @botley is correct.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I wonder what will happen with Kate Bush's induction performance? She has a thing about very rarely playing live. Actually after reading this, she's done TV performances so she will probably perform

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/kate-bu...fter-35-years/
    Last edited by WorzelG; 05-12-2023 at 02:18 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Kate Bush is awesome and I am glad that he is getting inducted. I'm glad that Stranger Things introduced her to a new audience.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I wonder what will happen with Kate Bush's induction performance? She has a thing about very rarely playing live. Actually after reading this, she's done TV performances so she will probably perform

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/kate-bu...fter-35-years/
    the bigger issue with her is flying/traveling/leaving the UK, so if they actually got her to Brooklyn that would be pretty impressive.