Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Saul Williams

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Saul Williams

Ladies and gentlemen, it's with the greatest pleasure that I present, Saul Williams.

He may be having a concert in my city in a couple of days. I'll be dead tired but I will go anyway. It's a must.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Still wondering exactly how I feel about Volcanic Sunlight. But is one hell of a video.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I wasn't sure what I thought of Volcanic Sunlight at first, but over time I got into it. It's probably my least favorite album of his, but that's not a bad thing. I really enjoy it now. I think I might have been expecting another NiggyTardust, which was a bit foolish on my part.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Volcanic is okay, but Amethyst and untitled are my faves. NEED MOAR crazy poetry from him next time

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Volcanic Sunlight > Niggy Tardust

The reason is because I feel that Volcanic Sunlight IS Saul Williams.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Did anyone else see ? Saul went to the Paris Catacombs to do some of Volcanic Sunlight. Creepy and awesome.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Yep, I saw it.

And I gotta brag now, I won a concert invite to see Saul Williams tonight!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I got an email from my brother tonight saying Saul is playing in our area in Feb., at super, super small venue called Maxwell's in Hoboken, NJ. This place has a bigger bar/restaurant area than it does a concert space and it's AMAZING. I've seen Kenna, The Black Angels, Autolux, and most recently Russian Circles there. I met someone from the band 3 out of 4 times, and always have a great experience. One of those places that is so intimate that it can make a good show great. Needless to say, I am fucking PSYCHED to see Saul there.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    oh shit, I wanna go! What's the parking situation there?

Edit: just bought tix! thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by imail724; 12-16-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Shit. After buying those tickets for NJ, I found there's an entire tour coming up. Ah well.

Feb 17: Music Hall Of Williamsburg - Brooklyn, NY
    Feb 18: Brighton Music Hall - Boston, MA
    Feb 20: Maxwells - Hoboken, NJ
    Feb 22: World Café Live - Philadelphia, PA
    Feb 23: Black Cat - Washington, DC
    Feb 24: Cats Cradle - Chapel Hill, NC
    Feb 25: The Masquerade - Atlanta
    Feb 26: Orpheum - Tampa, FL
    Feb 27: The Social - Orlando, FL
    Feb 29: HOB - New Orleans
    Mar 1: Fitzgeralds - Houston, TX
    Mar 2: Sons of Herman Hall - Dallas, TX
    Mar 3: Mohawk - Austin, TX
    Mar 5: The Launchpad - Albuquerque, NM
    Mar 6: Crescent Ballroom - Phoenix, AZ
    Mar 8: El Rey - Los Angeles, CA
    Mar 9: Soda Bar - San Diego, CA
    Mar 10: Slims - San Francisco, CA
    Mar 12: Doug Fir - Portland, OR
    Mar 13: Neumo's - Seattle, WA
    Mar 14: Biltmore - Vancouver, BC
    Mar 16: Urban Lounge - Salt Lake City, UT
    Mar 17: Marquis - Denver, CO
    Mar 19: Triple Rock - Minneapolis, MN
    Mar 20: Bottom Lounge - Chicago, IL
    Mar 21: Grog Shop - Cleveland, OH
    Mar 23: Great Hall - Toronto, ON
    Mar 24: El Cabaret - Montreal, PQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice. I'll be going to the Orlando show at The Social. I missed his date there on the NiggyTardust tour (which may have been a good thing since he performed sick that night) but the venue is amazing.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yay! I've been looking forward to seeing Saul Williams live again, and even better, headlining! The last time, he was one of the opening acts for Les Claypool, and most of the audience wasn't happy during his performance :(.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    http://kingbritt.com/2012/01/11/king...emix-download/

full vocal mix of king britt's dance remix. the one on the album is the dub mix, apparently.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I have a List of Demands promo CD for sale / trade.
    Cardboard sleeve, 2 tracks (album version and Kill Memory Crash Remix). Cat. number: WEBB077SCDP
    Pm me if you're interested.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    $15 for pit tickets, nice. I love living in Philly when it comes to music...

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Just saw the penultimate VOLCANIC SUNLIGHT show. Wow, what a performance! Setlist later if anyone's interested.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm interested. never could find the setlist from my show and wonder if it was the same.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    It was part of the CMW festival so there were three other bands on the bill; Saul himself didn't take the stage until about 12:30 and the show ended around 2am (NiggyTardust giving Axl a run for his money)! CX Kidtronik did a short warm-up at midnight and stayed onstage to play us out after it was over.

Patience
    Explain My Heart
    Look to the Sun
    Diagram
    Grippo
    Surrender (A Second to Think)
    Give It Up
    DNA/NiggyTardust!
    Black Stacey
    Triumph
    Control Freak/African Student Movement/Coded Language
    New Day
    Volcanic Sunlight/poem from ", said the shotgun to the head"
    List of Demands

There's also an awesome "street performance" Saul filmed in Toronto here.
    Last edited by botley; 03-24-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Son of a bitch. I didn't realize he was touring and missed his AZ show. Dah!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I hit up the Vancouver show, but I have to admit, it wasn't as great as the time I saw him supporting Niggy Tardust.
    Not sure, but the only song off of Volcanic sunlight I like is ROCKET, and he never ever played that one live.

I was extremely dissappointed in the lack of Niggy Tardust material, as that's the album that got me into him, but I went into the show knowing this was a tour supporting his new album. So on one hand, I kinda knew what to expect.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    The new stuff is pretty good and his band does an amazing job of playing it live. But, from what I've seen, nothing connects with audiences like the material from his self-titled album does. Those songs just smash the crowd every time and always have.
    Last edited by botley; 03-24-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Aloha! did the instrumental version of CONVICT COLONY ever surface? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mahalo!
    Last edited by uroboros; 04-21-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Like I said in my recent bump of the Mindless Self Indulgence thread, I've been taking advantage of downtime stemming from a broken old camcorder rendering me unable to continue transferring my old DVC video bootleg tapes and A/V-synch complications with my newer HD gear to finally post some of my old footage I never got around to posting for whatever reason, yet happen to have sitting around ready to go anyway.

Which brings me here!

My Mic In port was broken in early '08 so I couldn't use my external mic and had to rely upon the crappy built-ins, but when I heard Saul Williams was bringing Niggy Tardust to our nation's capitol I just COULD NOT resist. Absolutely HAD TO FILM IT in WHATEVER capacity.

And then I surveyed the venue. Gah!

The 9:30 Club is fuckin' AWESOME, but daaaaamn is it bootlegger-hostile. I saw LOTS of people getting shut down and harassed for simply taking pix with cellphones and disposable cameras so I knew there was no way in HELL they'd be cool about my camcorder. Ugh. So I went to the balcony and prepared to film discreetly from the rail but then at the last second fortuitously took notice of the fact that the venue had "spotters" with flashlights and radios communicating to the bouncers on the floor from little alcoves above and beside the stage!

Bah!

Unfortunately, there was no time to re-position and I just had to adjust and roll with it.

So I set my camcorder on the floor of the balcony and shot the whole show from between the bars of the railing by tilting the flipscreen up and nudging it around with my foot as needed, lol. Improv ftw!

I mean, kinda.

It was a supremely difficult chore to say the least, so it's occasionally off-center with no zooming whatsoever...but wtf, it is what it is.

Which, btw, was a FANTASTIC fucking show.

He killed it, brought his daughter out, she killed it, and they even did "Gunshots by Computer" from Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D, so FUCKYEAH, whatever it takes, right?

Plus, what with the direct involvement of my boot in the process, it's about as "bootlegged" as a bootleg can be, so y'gotta love that, lol.

;)

Anyway, I'm not too up-to-speed with song titles so if anyone could help a nigga out with an accurate setlist that'd be MUCH appreciated.

In the meantime, here you go!

Saul Williams
    live in Washington D.C., VA
    04/07/08

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    There is a Blackalicious song featuring Zach de la Rocha and Saul called Release. This is my favorite thing he's ever done. I would link to it, but i can't seem to find it anymore.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uroboros View Post
    Aloha! did the instrumental version of CONVICT COLONY ever surface? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mahalo!
    Or the demo "War At Once" ? GIMME DAT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    was just thinking about the niggy tardust album and was wondering if anyone knew the updated numbers on that album? all i can find are numbers from jan 08 two months after its release. anyone know if the numbers got better or stayed the same?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I hadn't listened to this in awhile but I had the U2 cover stick in my head a couple days ago. That was great. I need to revisit that album. Those were such good times.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    in case you haven't visited it, there's been a lot of comparison of saul and the new kanye album (some people drawing positive connections, some negative). i personally haven't heard the new kanye album, but if you're interested in some discussion, head over to that thread and go back a page or two.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Break into NiggyT into DNA into WTF is so fucking awesome.
    I love this combo more than any at any NIN album.