Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weeknd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Weeknd

Weeknd Thread.

Echoes of Silence just came out...going to listen to it through and post back impressions. So far he sounds like Michael Jackson on this first track

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Goddamn, three mixtapes of such quality with a year for fucking FREE?? I hope he'll start charging for his music or starts touring, so he can continue this. Very impressive, almost on par with HoB.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    what's the diff between a mixtape and an album? feel like this year totally mixed the concepts up. guessing if you're releasing a mixtape it's free and nobody has to pay for the samples.

i really liked House of Balloons for a while.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantin View Post
    what's the diff between a mixtape and an album? feel like this year totally mixed the concepts up. guessing if you're releasing a mixtape it's free and nobody has to pay for the samples.

Yeah. I dunno where the money comes from to support this project but it's got money behind it.

My first impressions are that this one was my least favorite of the three.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantin View Post
    Yeah, played it a lot last summer. Made me calm.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Mixtapes are released for free because they usually contain unlicensed samples, took me a while to actually figure that out. But yeah, this is awesome. I have no idea where he gets money to continue to do this, but I suspect next year will be big for Abel and hopefully some dates. I suppose Drake is giving him some money since I know those two are close.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I've been enjoying Echoes of Silence a lot lately, though the first mixtape is still the best.

I also think they use the term mixtape to distinguish that the releases are free. I'm guessing they're using these free "mixtapes" to drum up support for a studio album that they can profit from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pitchfork just reported that they're bundling up all three of them and releasing them together with outtakes, so that could drum up some profit for sure. I'll probably get it, that's pretty good value for one release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If anyone has issues with track 4, there's a fucking colon in the title that was a pain in the ass in windows 7 to get rid of. I had to use cmd prompt and some sneaky moving folders around to get rid of the file and folder it was extracted to. Change that colon before extracting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Re-upped because a tour has just been announced. Dates below, courtesy of Pitchfork.

04-15 Indio, CA - Coachella
    04-22 Indio, CA - Coachella
    04-25 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg
    04-26 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
    04-27 Boston, MA - Royale
    04-28 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
    04-29 Philadelphia, PA - TLA
    05-03 Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall
    05-06 Los Angeles, CA - Fonda Theatre
    05-08 San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
    05-10 Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
    05-11 Seattle, WA - Showbox at the Market
    05-12 Vancouver, British Columbia - Commodore Ballrom
    06-02 Barcelona, Spain - Primavera Sound Festival
    06-09 Porto, Portugal - Optimus Primavera Sound
    08-03 Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza
    I'll be seeing you at the Commodore Ballroom.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hell yeah Commodore...baller status.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Vancouver show sold out in 4 minutes! Thank fuck I got a pair.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Can't wait to get my copy of Trilogy next week!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    this just dropped yesterday. nice vid, great song. comes with a bit of controversy considering the drums are a direct sample from Portishead's Machine Gun and it was taken even though they weren't pleased.

oh well, great song. can't wait for this new album.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Jeremy Rose? Anyone? Anyone?

He is now under the name "Zodiac" and was not only the Co-founder of "The Weekend" (before the E was dropped by Abel), but he also produced everything for the first 3 songs from "The Weeknd": "What You Need", "Loft Music", and "The Morning". He was never credited, nor compensated for his talent and work. You can hear every influence from Rose in not only "What You Need", but also the other songs mentioned above with his dark/moody vibe. Despite from some great music, Abel Tesfaye really is a big douche and never credited Rose for anything he did.

Article from Rose... there are many others:
    http://www.spinner.com/2012/03/23/the-weeknd-producer-no-credit/

Here is a track from Rose's (Zodiac) latest Ep and it is wonderful.

Despite some controversy.. I still love their music.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-17-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    http://pitchfork.com/news/51565-the-...-geoff-barrow/

They're also under fire for sampling Portishead's "Machine Gun" without permission - sounds very similar to me.

Still, nice song...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Jeremy Rose? Anyone? Anyone?

He is now under the name "Zodiac" and was not only the Co-founder of "The Weekend" (before the E was dropped by Abel), but he also produced everything for the first 3 songs from "The Weeknd": "What You Need", "Loft Music", and "The Morning". He was never credited, nor compensated for his talent and work. You can hear every influence from Rose in not only "What You Need", but also the other songs mentioned above with his dark/moody vibe. Despite from some great music, Abel Tesfaye really is a big douche and never credited Rose for anything he did.

Article from Rose... there are many others:
    http://www.spinner.com/2012/03/23/the-weeknd-producer-no-credit/

Here is a track from Rose's (Zodiac) latest Ep and it is wonderful.

Despite some controversy.. I still love their music.
    this shit needs to stop. He is credited on the re-release Trilogy (an actual official release of the songs) and subsequently paid for his INITIAL contribution.

Enough already.It's so annoying that people still peddle this shit around when a simple wiki search would reveal the proper (updated) information on Rose. Really really annoying.
    Last edited by Rabbit; 07-18-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    this shit needs to stop. He is credited on the re-release Trilogy (an actual official release of the songs) and subsequently paid for his INITIAL contribution.

Enough already.It's so annoying that people still peddle this shit around when a simple wiki search would reveal the proper (updated) information on Rose. Really really annoying.
    Yea... it only took over 4 years and countless fans that jumped on the wagon because "Drake" posted the songs on his blog or whatever. Funny that the song posted above really is Machine Gun by Portishead in a nutshell. It comes down to the fact that Abel will always get the credit and people have no fucking clue who Jeremy Rose is... to each their own.

What's more annoying is the fact that the real story lingers in the shadows while Abel (still after the credit which is pretty much fucking hidden) gets allll the credit.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-18-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Yea... it only took over 4 years and countless fans that jumped on the wagon because "Drake" posted the songs on his blog or whatever. Funny that the song posted above really is Machine Gun by Portishead in a nutshell. It comes down to the fact that Abel will always get the credit and people have no fucking clue who Jeremy Rose is... to each their own.

What's more annoying is the fact that the real story lingers in the shadows while Abel (still after the credit which is pretty much fucking hidden) gets allll the credit.
    Ok, lets make something clear here: Those three tracks he "produced" aren't even the best Weeknd tracks. Besides maybe "The Morning" the other two are minimalistic r&b productions you can find anywhere. There was nothing really AMAZING about what he contributed. Sure, did he have an initial influence on Abels direction? Yah, but that's probably all he had.

After his "contributions" the Weeknd tracks got darker and more complex. Rose has talent, even though i don't see anything particularly good about his EP he may come out of this with some exposure. But the internets has given him way too much credit.

Machine Gun has a great drum pattern, again nothing insane or unheard of before, check out Blue Monday. The soundscapes thrown over it a long with Abels vocals are what makes the track. Don't fool yourself. I for one don't mind if the entire album turns out to be a homage to Portishead with the the Weeknds dark atmosphere synth pads and lyrics/vocals over it. It will be fucking great.
    Last edited by Rabbit; 07-19-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    All in all, I don't think there's an artist in the past few years that I was SO in to....and got bored of as quickly as The Weeknd.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    All in all, I don't think there's an artist in the past few years that I was SO in to....and got bored of as quickly as The Weeknd.
    well.. he only put out 1 offering so far. plus, it's in the lineage of hip hop/r&b, which lets be honest, never stays "fresh" too long does it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So far I prefer Kiss Land to that other song. That second half is awesome.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    We have leakage!

Edit:
    Hrmm. I wasn't as impressed on my first listen, Wanderlust is certainly a standout but you can tell Abel continued to push in a certain direction from where Thursday and Echoes of Silence were at but I don't think the songs on Kiss Land are as well thought out and written as the material on the latter. The production is top notch and there's a lot of interesting sounds going on but nothing sticks with you and grabs a hold on to your ears like previous releases.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 09-01-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Belong to the World is pretty good too. I'm still going through the album, but yeah, it doesn't immediately grab me like the mixtapes did. It's not bad by any means though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Does anyone else think Trent's All Time Low sounds similar Life of The Party, or is it only me?
    Last edited by Iran_Ed; 09-01-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_Ed View Post
    Does anyone else think Trent's All Time Low sounds similar Life of The Party, or is it only me?
    Actually Life of the Party reminds me of Reptile...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm really enjoying the new album. Lyrically, Kiss Land is far less dystopian than the mixtapes, which all sounded like the soundtrack to a Bret Easton Ellis novel. There are more conventional love songs that fit the mold of classic R&B, though it's still not radio-friendly by any means. The first half is hard to get into during the first listen, but the pace picks up by the time 'Belong to the World' starts. The production is solid throughout - there's a very epic and cinematic feel to pretty much everything. And of course, Abel is still a great singer...if only he could vary his vocal melodies a little more.

Favs: Belong to the World, Wanderlust, Kiss Land
    Last edited by Presideo; 09-02-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Im going to lose my man card but I don't care...

My fiancé and I saw Fifty Shades of Grey on v-day...which we actually both really enjoyed. Yep...I really enjoyed it. And I think the soundtrack is a pretty fantastic mix for the film. So I discovered The Weekend with the single "Earned It" from the soundtrack.

Since then Ive been loving this dude. Kiss Land is a fantastic album. I love how his music is very cinematic.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    ariana grande is nasal and boring, but that song he does with her is the tits.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Ahhhh. My roommate listens to his stuff all of the time. So I was vaguely familiar with the new album. I then downloaded it yesterday, and I can't stop listening to it. The production is craaaazy.

I'm gonna start going through his older stuff tomorrow.