Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Saul Williams

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    OH MY FUCKING GOD

...though I'm concerned that they used the CD master from Fader and not the original master, which was way better. I love that they just copied the tracklist from Wikipedia, even leaving in the text from the "[edit]" button.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    beat me to it! haha. Hopefully this thing isn't outrageously expensive like the vinyl reissue that popped up online recently.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    OH MY FUCKING GOD

...though I'm concerned that they used the CD master from Fader and not the original master, which was way better. I love that they just copied the tracklist from Wikipedia, even leaving in the text from the "[edit]" button.
    Ah is that what they did? I thought it was odd that they specifically mentioned an "unreleased b-side", yet the tracklisting is identical to the previous release. Hopefully the b-side is actually something new.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Ah is that what they did? I thought it was odd that they specifically mentioned an "unreleased b-side", yet the tracklisting is identical to the previous release. Hopefully the b-side is actually something new.
    Uhhhhh what?

I see five tracks (two new, a cover, and two releases from other albums) on the tracklisting.

1. "Pedagogue of Young Gods" – 3:18
    2. "World on Wheels" – 1:27
    3. "Can't Hide Love" (Earth, Wind & Fire) – 2:27
    4. "Gunshots by Computer" – 1:44 (originally on Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D)
    5. "List of Demands (Reparations)" – 3:18 (originally appeared on the album Saul Williams)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Uhhhhh what?

I see five tracks (two new, a cover, and two releases from other albums) on the tracklisting.

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    These were all on the CD issue as well.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    These were all on the CD issue as well.
    Ohhhhhhh, I never knew that. I bought the FLAC files when they were first released. Definitely didn't have those tracks. My bad.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Ohhhhhhh, I never knew that. I bought the FLAC files when they were first released. Definitely didn't have those tracks. My bad.
    Yeah the flac and mp3 from nin.com were the OG 14 tracks up to the ritual. When it came out in 2008 on cd it had the bonus tracks.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    IIRC some of the tracks on the CD are cut slightly differently. No huge differences (a few seconds here and there), but noteworthy all the same if you're a collector.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    The weirdest part about the bonus tracks on the CD release was probably the fact that two of them were already readily available elsewhere - and on full-length releases, not just on a b-side somewhere. “List of Demands,” as far as I could tell, was tacked on there solely because it was used in some popular sports commercial at the time of release. Such a strange and obviously marketing-driven choice.

I’m excited though! Count me in. Curious to find out more about it before RSD. I’ll probably snag one either way though, especially if it’s gonna be under $100 and actually available in a brick and mortar store.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Always wanted to ask - were Can't Hide Love and World on Wheels recorded with Trent during Niggy sessions?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Always wanted to ask - were Can't Hide Love and World on Wheels recorded with Trent during Niggy sessions?
    Yes. Same production team.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Yes. Same production team.
    Yup. I remember a TR interview before the CD issue came out and they said they did two covers “one you’ve heard (u2), and one you haven’t (can’t hide love)

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Hopefully this thing isn't outrageously expensive like the vinyl reissue that popped up online recently.
    It's listed as a "Record Store Day first" and not a "RSD exclusive" so that should make it significantly easier to find at a reasonable price.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    @botley I remember comparing the Fader CD with the original FLAC release and realizing that Fader mastered the CD using the original MP3's, not the FLAC's, and that it sucked huge balls. Can you please confirm?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    @botley I remember comparing the Fader CD with the original FLAC release and realizing that Fader mastered the CD using the original MP3's, not the FLAC's, and that it sucked huge balls. Can you please confirm?
    Don't own the CD, but I have the original vinyl pressing, maybe and I should take a look at the spectrals on a rip of that to see if there's lossy copmpression anywhere in the mastering chain. Would be a drag, but I don't remember it sounding all that amazing anyhow (surface is a bit noisy). The original FLAC is also my favourite version of the album.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Don't own the CD, but I have the original vinyl pressing, maybe and I should take a look at the spectrals on a rip of that to see if there's lossy copmpression anywhere in the mastering chain. Would be a drag, but I don't remember it sounding all that amazing anyhow (surface is a bit noisy). The original FLAC is also my favourite version of the album.
    I took a quick look at the waveform and it seems to be CD-limited levels (checked "DNA").

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I just have to say it’s great to see people freaking out about Saul Williams. He’s incredibly gifted.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if War At Once ever got released?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I just have to say it’s great to see people freaking out about Saul Williams. He’s incredibly gifted.
    Catching him in Atlanta when he came on stage for "Survivalism" and "Banged and Blown Through" in 2009 was probably one of the coolest random concert events I've ever experienced. I'd just been getting into him recently at the time (completely missed his time touring with NIN, it was just before I'd started listening to them) and was slowly digesting his discography, and being immediately pulled in by Niggy Tardust. I'll admit, knowing Trent produced it played a huge part in me checking Saul out, but since then I've been waiting and waiting for a chance to see him play a proper solo show. After reading a couple accounts of what his concerts are like, I can only imagine what a blast they can be. Someday!

Gah damn, I was SO MAD when I eventually learned that Saul opened for NIN in Wichita, KS (30 minutes from where I lived, and all my friends were there) in 2006. I had heard they were coming nearby. So, the night of the show, checked out With Teeth for the first time, and after making it through "All The Love in The World," the rest is history. In hindsight, I'll bet my little 16 year old mind would have been BLOWN getting introduced to Saul a couple years earlier than I was.

I'd actually be ECSTATIC to see Saul tour with NIN again. I feel like right now would even be a fantastically poignant time for those two to join forces on-stage.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Just for everyone’s information: local record store is pricing the Niggy Tardust reissue at $26 on Record Store Day. A fucking STEAL if I’ve ever seen one.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    Just for everyone’s information: local record store is pricing the Niggy Tardust reissue at $26 on Record Store Day. A fucking STEAL if I’ve ever seen one.
    Just to be clear, Record Store Day isn't until April, right? Like, I'm not missing something, right?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    Just to be clear, Record Store Day isn't until April, right? Like, I'm not missing something, right?
    Well, I meant the upcoming Black Friday RSD. As far as I’ve known it’s happened every year for a while! Sorry I didn’t clarify, though. These will be available this coming Friday. But if I remember correctly, these are a “RSD first” release, meaning we may be seeing more pressings afterward?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Got to my store around 7:20 this morning and there was already a line of about 20 people. As soon as the doors opened I hightailed it for the Saul record beause that was the priority and grabbed either the last one or the only one. As I'm grabbing it some guy asks if that was the only one then a few minutes later I hear another guy asking for it so I got here just in time. I'm happy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Got the last copy at my store this morning, and I got there nearly an hour after they opened. Good quality pressing and package, nice that some care went into this. I noticed that the spoken word intro (apparently voiced by Alan Moulder) before Niggy Tardust isn't present on this vinyl version. I used to have an original pressing but I don't remember if it was missing there or not. This pressing sounds very good, definitely glad I sold my original a while back and ended up with this reissue.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I noticed that the spoken word intro (apparently voiced by Alan Moulder) before Niggy Tardust isn't present on this vinyl version. I used to have an original pressing but I don't remember if it was missing there or not. This pressing sounds very good, definitely glad I sold my original a while back and ended up with this reissue.
    It's not. Guess this is pressed from the same digital files as the original vinyl pressing... new inner artwork looks beautiful indeed! Love that spatter of starburst colour on the vinyl itself.
    Last edited by botley; 11-24-2018 at 12:57 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I ordered a copy on eBay for pretty close to what it would have been in store, as I'd have to drive over an hour to get to the nearest record store. Gas cost would probably be about the same as what I paid for shipping.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    I noticed that the spoken word intro (apparently voiced by Alan Moulder) before Niggy Tardust isn't present on this vinyl version.
    What spoken word intro? Never heard this...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    What spoken word intro? Never heard this...
    It's only on the original FLAC/MP3 download from 2007. "Ladies and gentlemen, it is with the greatest pleasure that I present... NiggyTardust."

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    They had two copies left at Goner Records in Memphis so I was able to snag one on Saturday. Super fucking happy to own this on vinyl now.