Thread: Filmmaking/Photography Equipment, Your System

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Filmmaking/Photography Equipment, Your System

So I wasn't sure where to put this thread, Here? In the movie forum? Artistic expression? IF it's in the wrong place let me know...

Also I realize videography and photography aren't the same thing, but recently that point where they come together has been growing.

I'm a professional videographer in the Monterey area, and having recently graduated, I finally put together a whole equipment load.

Here's what it looks like so far.

Sony NEX-FS100u: A-Cam. Super High Def, low noice, interchangeable lenses. I got a Novaflex adaptor for Nikon lenses and another adaptor for Canon lenses. The kits lens that came with the camera is a little less than awesome

Canon EOS 7D: B-Cam. The quintessential indie filmmaking DSLR. It's noisier than the FS100 and has a 12 minute shoot limit, so that's why I can't run it as a secondary option. It's killer for photography, though!

Canon HV30: C-Cam. This one's been in my arsenal for almost four years, but it's still a great little camcorder. I used it alongside my partner's 7D while shooting concerts like Explosions in the Sky and the Fleet Foxes for (FOLKYEAH!!!)

Nikon NIKKOR 50mm AIS 1.2: AIS series of lenses is beautiful and perfect, focus is smooth and aperture is fast as hell. At the moment this is my only lens other than the kits... but I'll have more by the end of the year.

Rode Shotgun Mic: Popular Shotgun, always works, nice for 7D and HV30 since those use 1/4 inch ports instead of XLR's like the NEXcam.

Premiere Pro CS 5.5: Best editing software IMO.

and then I run a variety of tripods, etc. I charge clients $50/hr. per camera + editing. It's a sweet deal.

Any other photographers, videographers, filmmakers out there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Need of the camera accessories depends on the criteria where the equipment are being used and these requirements changes and grows as the person shoots in different styles and momentum.

Last edited by JeffMowery; 06-23-2014 at 02:59 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'll occasionally shoot video if a job comes up but I'm mostly just an editor. I've got a few DSLRs, a 6D and two 550D's with a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC and a Sigma 70-200mm. I usually end up using them for hobby photography though...

I built my editing PC a few years back and it's lasted me this long. 3770k CPU, Gigabyte GTX 560 SOC, 16GB RAM, SSD OS drive, RAID 0 Velicoraptors for Scratch/Render with media kept on a G-RAID 0 External.

Will be upgrading to a GTX 780 and 32GB of RAM in the next couple weeks though

Most of the editing I do these days is corporate stuff. I got sick of working for free on lame projects that always end up being terrible. Corporate's arent too bad if you try and make them less boring and shitty than 99% of the ones out there...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I studied film in Uni for a while.. and it was good, but the only stuff we could get our hands on were 'prosumer' DV cameras. It took me until a few years ago to get to play with a DSLR when I traded my 450D for a 550D, which I still have. I tend to shoot little things now and then, but also love editing and am trying to get back into it. I used Final Cut 7 for years but a new Mac forced me over to Premiere, which I'm enjoying, though find a little awkward.
    I could do with more kit, but really I'm happy with my little setup.