Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Foo Fighters

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Sounds like you got closer than me. I might just go stand outside on Friday and see what happens. Ugh. I got up sooooo early this morning to get back into the city in time for this. Now I'm exhausted.
    Yep, I would do the same if I wasn't 3+ hours away. The other thing that makes that challenging is that it looks like it's basically "Trent" rules for the tickets (i.e. need to have your name on the ticket or have your guest with you on entry).

I've seen ppl get lucky with that at NIN shows though, so it's certainly possible. Best of luck!

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Here's my favorite craigslist posting for tickets so far...

I'll Pay You $200 to take my Swinger Wife to see the Foo Fighters

My hot swinger wife wants to see the Foo Fighters at the Cubby Bear.

You take her and I'll give you $200.

She'll show you a god time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Here's my favorite craigslist posting for tickets so far...
    Haha, I saw that posting too. Looks like ppl are offering up to $750-1K to go as +1s. Wow. I might pay that much for a final-forever-for-real-this-time intimate NIN show, but that's about it.

Edit: Ha, maybe the hot swinger wife will end up going with this guy:
    Hi, I was lucky enough to win the foo lotto today. I want to have the hottest woman at the venue. Click reply and submit your entry. Good luck.
    Last edited by pwing47; 10-15-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I was fortunate enough to see them at the Metro in 2011, and they had the same ticket policy there. It was fucking awesome, they played for around 3+ hours.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well that's cool... Just got a call from the Letterman show to see if I wanna go tomorrow...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    All I could think of while listening to something from nothing was this:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    All I could think of while listening to something from nothing was this:

No kidding. The riff isn't exact, but it's so damn close that I'm sure Grohl did it on purpose. No way he wrote that on accident. He's a Dio fan afterall.
    Last edited by pulse; 10-16-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yep, same exact thought the second I heard it. But yeah, no way is that just a coincidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Diver
    Recorded at Sound City, Los Angeles

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    liked it a lot, it does sound like "Holy Diver" but it's not a ripoff

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Well that's cool... Just got a call from the Letterman show to see if I wanna go tomorrow...
    Well, HOW WAS IT?! And which taping did you go to? The one for tonight, or tomorrow night?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I like the song. If the album is more of the same like the last one then I'll enjoy it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm thinking it's going to be a good one. From SH promos we've also heard just a short clip of "The Feast of the Famine," and I like that one even more.

Btw, is anyone on here also on the FF forums? Not sure I'll ever consider myself enough of a superfan to join, but I was creeping over there after the Cubby Bear chaos yesterday just to see how things went down; looks like a pretty tight-knit community, much like we have here

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwing47 View Post

Btw, is anyone on here also on the FF forums? Not sure I'll ever consider myself enough of a superfan to join, but I was creeping over there after the Cubby Bear chaos yesterday just to see how things went down; looks like a pretty tight-knit community, much like we have here
    I signed up for the FF forum like a decade ago, wasn't a very active user. But it's become somewhat of a running joke, because every year at midnight on my Birthday, I get a Happy Birthday e-mail sent out from the Foo Fighters message board. And earlier this year, it was a few hours before my birthday or something and my girlfriend wishes me happy birthday, and I was like "you know it's not my birthday yet" and she was like "close enough" and I replied with "It's not my Birthday until the Foo Fighters wish me Happy Birthday" and she was confused...

However, in a few hours I got the Happy Birthday e-mail and then it all made sense to her. So, that's kind of a running joke.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 10-16-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was there for a while. It is a tight knit group. Pretty small also. But that place floods with people around album releases. Not the brightest in most cases either. And they usually have a lot of pretty young users too. 15/16 range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I signed up for the FF forum like a decade ago, wasn't a very active user. But it's become somewhat of a running joke, because every year at midnight on my Birthday, I get a Happy Birthday e-mail sent out from the Foo Fighters message board. And earlier this year, it was a few hours before my birthday or something and my girlfriend wishes me happy birthday, and I was like "you know it's not my birthday yet" and she was like "close enough" and I replied with "It's not my Birthday until the Foo Fighters wish me Happy Birthday" and she was confused...

However, in a few hours I got the Happy Birthday e-mail and then it all made sense to her. So, that's kind of a running joke.
    I totally relate to that birthday email story...always cracks me up. I signed up there in 2001 and was fairly active for a bit. Some pretty cool people, but then when FF became more popular the younger fans started posting and it just gets messy at times. I use that postboard much like this one, for info on a band I enjoy. And in the early days if you lived in or around Los Angeles it was great because you got info on secret shows and they did contests and drawings for tickets. Saw a few great shows because of that site. Paid 10 bucks for the One By One cd release party at the Wiltern. So being a member of a website for a band you like can have value, doesn't mean you have to be an active poster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, HOW WAS IT?! And which taping did you go to? The one for tonight, or tomorrow night?
    Went to the later taping for tonights show... it was good.. they played the new single "Something For Nothing" w/ Rick Nielsen(cheap trick).. sounded great. probably my favorite track of the week because there was no guest vocals lol. Wish they played multiple songs like some of the other late night shows.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love Dave. He seems like he'd be your best friend. Excited to watch the show tonight! He's got some directing skills.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just logged into the live stream, waiting for the show to start in about an hour. I will watch it through semi-gritted teeth, because I really really wanted to be there

But I guess the second best way to watch it is with a fridge full of booze, not being dehydrated from waiting in line all day, a couple friends on their way, and able to rock out as hard I want in my own "Row 1."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just finished watching the first episode of Sonic Highways.

Really well made and really brings context to a lot of the musical choices made in that single.

The lyric video/thing at the end really puts into perspective how much they took away from all the interviews with Rick Nielsen, Steve Albini, Buddy Guy, and others in that scene. I remember watching the lyrics on screen going "shit, he really put thought into his choice of words here."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I agree. It was cool seeing the lyrics and connecting them all back to what these guys said in the interviews.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I liked that so much of the Chicago episode was personal to the band, particularly to Dave. I wonder if they'll be able to maintain that level of connection/deep story throughout the series -- it was so much more interesting to me than just a mini-doc on the city's musical history.

I have to say, though, that I was uncomfortable with the level of call-back in the lyrics. I guess I assumed the album came first, and that they were then inspired to do this documentary. But having the lyrics so directly "inspired" makes it seem like the album is the secondary product. I really hope it doesn't end up feeling forced and insincere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't think they will have a problem with those personal connections. Next up is DC. Dave grew up there. There's Seattle, obvious. LA, where they all live.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Love that this is a concept album. Also, really cool/weird that I've been listening to the Foo's for close to 20 years...

My Foo story/fan boy moment:

My wife and I got into NYC for a little vacation and we walked by the NBC studios and my wife was talking to me about something but i spot someone VERY familiar to me... Nate and Pat just looking at the bootleg stuff in front of the studio. I DART across the road to geek out and just tell Nate and Pat I'm a big fan from Miami, come back down, etc. It was right around when "The Pretender" was just released, but I was busy with work and didn't realize they had a new album coming out. They were playing SNL that same night.

My wife joined me after she realized i just left her walking and asked who I was talking to and they laughed and we left after i thanked them for their time. Just great guys. I completely forgot to ask for a photo with them. Didn't matter. Made my trip, plus I saw QotSA later that night at the MSG amphitheater too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I have to say, though, that I was uncomfortable with the level of call-back in the lyrics. I guess I assumed the album came first, and that they were then inspired to do this documentary. But having the lyrics so directly "inspired" makes it seem like the album is the secondary product. I really hope it doesn't end up feeling forced and insincere.
    I thought this was the point.. all lyrics are pulled directly from the interviews..

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Yep. And I don't like it. That was my point.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Washington, DC show on Friday. Damn -- they changed the rules so you have to be at the venue and pay cash. If that's how they did Chicago, I probably would've been able to go.
    http://on.fb.me/1DxmWcL

I might get lucky if they keep this up; I know people in Seattle and LA who could potentially get tickets. Crossing my fingers that they keep it up for the next 6 weekends/episodes

Edit: btw, (long shot, I know) if anyone is planning on getting tickets at the Black Cat venue today and doesn't already have a +1, let me know. Would be happy to meet you there/pay you back.
    Last edited by pwing47; 10-21-2014 at 02:04 PM.