Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pukkelpop View Post
    a guy named Jack on the 11th floor of the Columbia building
    It goes to 11?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    any guesses who did it if it wasn't Rob?
    I'm guessing Mike Mitchell, solely because he and Rob seem to be friends and I would really love that :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypayton View Post
    Trent returning to his synth pop roots? perhaps?
    One can dream.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I'm guessing Mike Mitchell, solely because he and Rob seem to be friends and I would really love that :P
    He also likes theoatmeal. Album cover art by theoatmeal might be the best way to piss off the maximum number of people.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    They were also recently in touch with Gary Talpas when Rob was doing the PHM remaster.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhat_ View Post
    According to Rob on twitter, it is the polar opposite of the glitch art of Welcome Oblivion and it wasn't done by him.
    Someone asked about what they were seeing in the photo of his "mission control" desk setup -- that was his response ("Q: nin artwork. More glitch?" A: "Polar opposite. Not done by me. No more hints!")

So he wasn't talking about all of the album art/videos/tour production (I especially don't think we should infer that everything's by someone else), though it could end up being the case.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Someone asked about what they were seeing in the photo of his "mission control" desk setup -- that was his response ("Q: nin artwork. More glitch?" A: "Polar opposite. Not done by me. No more hints!")

So he wasn't talking about all of the album art/videos/tour production (I especially don't think we should infer that everything's by someone else), though it could end up being the case.
    Good point. I may have misinterpreted what he said.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I was only joking about theoatmeal stuff but, funny enough, he was making NIN references less than 2 weeks ago: https://www.facebook.com/theoatmeal/...52876757285078 (this video is the closest we will get to some meathead action).

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Wow, okay. Cool song title. It might sound like PHM? Count me in for that.

I'm just glad we're not getting yet another album full of glitch art (hopefully, anyway).

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

I'm expecting a 12 minute opus in three parts, one sans drums, one with a polymorphic rhythm, two instrumental.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Re: the title "not sounding like a NIN song" - remember the initial weirdness of seeing "Corona Radiata" and "The Four Of Us Are Dying" on the track list for The Slip? Anyway, I think it sounds really cool, and also a perfect title for a first single heralding the "comeback" of NIN so to speak.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    The article mentioned that it has been half a decade since the SLIP.

What makes me feel weird is that it was half a decade between TDS and Fragile... that felt like a damn eternity

Since the SLIP came out it has definately not felt like eternity. Is time moving faster or does time feel like its moving faster the older you get?
    Well, Trent has been very prolific since With Teeth, and after The Slip he has released a lot of stuff, as opposed to the time between TDS and The Fragile where we only got a couple songs.

But also, time is relative. Think o you as a 1 year old and the long wait from when you turned 1 to when you turned 2... that one year was literally A LIFETIME... Get the point?

To me, 5 years NOW are about 1/6 of my life (i'm 30). In 2000, when i was 18, 5 years were 5/18 of my life... that's somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4.

Anyway, i'm excited about the single! And looking forward to a release date for the album!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I like the name! I'm actually surprised we got an announcement regarding the release of a single as opposed to Trent just releasing a new song on the whim. As far as the quote about the song goes, I wonder what in the hell she's talking about in regards to "first two albums". If this is a Downward Spiral reference somehow, hell...that album was very experimental for it's time. Not as soundscapey prog rock as Trent would later go on in the Fragile...but still. I swear if the beat is similar to "Only", "Discipline" and "Fur Lined"...I'm gonna laugh.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I also think the new album will be out sooner than we think with a new single out this week. Late July or August sounds plausible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd think they'd release the album prior to the new round of shows starting. At least that would make sense.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I also think the new album will be out sooner than we think with a new single out this week. Late July or August sounds plausible.
    I would think that if he were putting it out himself, but them being signed to Columbia, I'd like to think Columbia would like to capitalize on the success of a single and play it up at least two months before it comes out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I'm actually surprised we got an announcement regarding the release of a single as opposed to Trent just releasing a new song on the whim.
    That's what you get when you work with a record label again. All the radio stations start puffing out their chests to get attention before the other radio stations, because they're given this information by the record company for marketing, obviously. I think it's a given that, with the involvement of so many people, it was probably expected that information would "leak" out.

On the plus side, it does serve as a major marketing push toward people who don't go to this website.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    "The first two albums"

Oh good, it'll be a mix of Kinda I Want To and Physical.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    "The first two albums"

The first album was Purest Feeling WHAT IF THE NEW TRACK IS MAYBE JUST ONCE I CAME BACK HAUNTED

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    "The first two albums"

I asked around, and apparently it's the polar opposite of that.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    the first album was purest feeling what if the new track is maybe just once i came back haunted
    PUREST FEELING/RINGFINGER MASHUP. Perhaps with a wub-wub breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante
    Way to piss on my dreams

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    ^^
    Well, maybe there is a chance of that Sex Dwarf cover finally fucking happening!

Last edited by DigitalChaos; 06-04-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I just want some saxophone AND tambourine...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post

Cowbell solo!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The first album was Purest Feeling WHAT IF THE NEW TRACK IS MAYBE JUST ONCE I CAME BACK HAUNTED
    this is fun

something I can never have came back haunted?
    ringfinger came back haunted?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I just want some saxophone AND tambourine...
    Definitely more tambourines! Haven't heard enough tambourines in past few releases..... I hope there's a tambourine solo of some sort and a reprise!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    He also likes theoatmeal. Album cover art by theoatmeal might be the best way to piss off the maximum number of people.
    Piss off?

Fuck, I don't even own a record player, but I'd buy the vinyl of that just to have a larger version of the album art.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    remember this tweet?

Still don't know how reliable the source is, but it seems likely. It would be pretty awesome if the new single had the Quartet strings on it, too. Although from the short single description, it doesn't sound like the case. Either way, I think it would be cool if Trent went for a orchestral/electronic combo for the new record.

Oh yeah, and the single title is pretty cool too.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Little do you know that the whole "reinvention" thing means Reznor on drums and Ilan Rubin on vocals and cello.

(Had to get this one in before the "no relevant news" lock)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just in case it isn't on the stream, any of the LA-based people here prepared to record this for us?