OMFG SO MANY LAYERS!
    and completely different experience even from monitor headphones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xvostya View Post
    *listening to flac on studio monitors*

OMFG SO MANY LAYERS!
    This is why I cant agree with any comparisons to THTF.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    *listening to flac on studio monitors*

OMFG SO MANY LAYERS!
    This. I listened to this all day at work with regular Sennheiser earphones, they're pretty decent and loved it. Finally got home, downloaded it and played it on the sound system and was blown away at the intricacies and nuances, the layering and detailing is outstanding. I've invested a fair bit of money in speakers for this reason, I want to hear the music as it was intended or as close to what the artist intended.

A few pages back someone made a remark about why anyone would want to listen to a song 100 times. THIS is why I listen to one song 100s times over because I zone in on certain parts, I break things down, dissect and absorb each layer. Now, if anyone wants to put a song on and play it in the background and let it be then that's cool and I'm capable of that too (I generally think that how most people listen to music), but the thing with me, with Trent's music in particular, I get a lot out of listening to music this way and getting right in to it's construction. Did anyone get Trent's interview in The New Yorker for iPad a few months back where there was a deconstruction of Only, I was such a happy girl when I found that! I long for the multitracks for Came BacK Haunted... can you imagine!?!

And as above, I don't get the comparisons to THTF. I don't get it at all.
    Last edited by Scarlet Siren; 06-07-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Do you people realy think that Trent is conciously contructing a narrative that somehow link the albums?
    This ARG has been running for nearly 25 years. Where have you been?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I've only listened to this song a handful of times, but it has completely infiltrated my brain. The song keeps playing in my head all day, and I keep wanting to sing out, "I came back, came back haunted". This is one of the defining marks of a pop hit: you can't get it out of your brain.... it's catchy as hell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I've only listened to this song a handful of times, but it has completely infiltrated my brain. The song keeps playing in my head all day, and I keep wanting to sing out, "I came back, came back haunted". This is one of the defining marks of a pop hit: you can't get it out of your brain.... it's catchy as hell.
    Either you're NIN or you're OUT!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I've only listened to this song a handful of times, but it has completely infiltrated my brain. The song keeps playing in my head all day, and I keep wanting to sing out, "I came back, came back haunted".
    +1 - I was at work, and any time I didn't have to 'really' think, all I could hear was that sexy little bass synth intro. Cos, I was jazzed by it, and it was on my phone, I got other office folks to listen to it. Surprisingly high hit rate in the world of finance!

Trent, retire!! Or get edgy again...(I'm sure it's coming)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The important part seems to be missing. Where's “nothing can stop me now”, i ask ye.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah in all fairness to the cookie/play count analogy- don't you guys worry about overdoing it? how many have said here that they got incredibly sick of 'survivalism'/'hand that feeds' etc. when they dropped after 200 consecutive listens? go outside and play!

i dig the new single too, but have only listened twice. way too much music out there to enjoy in moderation instead of overdosing like that.

fortunately this song won't give you diabetes.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's good, starts off a bit phm, has an echoplex ish little lead break, generally has a bouncy year zero feel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    To me, the electronics and synths in the song have a very TDS almost "Heresy" feel to them. I can see why people are getting the bouncy Year Zero idea but to me, one of the things I never really liked about YZ was how the drums sounded a bit "Garageband" like to me. They didn't feel as heavy on some songs as they did with others, plus the certain drum ticks and noises came back on a lot of the same songs. It makes sense since it was a concept record and themes/motifs appearing again is common with NIN ("La Mer/Into the Void") but overall, I just don't feel as connected to YZ as I do with some of the other albums.

This song however has that electronic bounce but to me, it sounds beefier. Everything sounds amplified as much as it can get and the song's beat hits you all over. The more I'm listening to this song, the more I'm loving it. It's just as good as any other NIN single "Discipline"/"THTF" and has a playful tone to it...but still feels like a welcomed addition to the NIN catalog.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wonderful song. That bassline, just swaggering about the place, catchy verse structure, fun lyrics. Classic single material. Great stuff. Complete sentences? Me? Too blown away .

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Random thought: it'd be cool if they got some female backup singers for the tour. I just imagine them harmonizing with Trent and it sounding amazing, especially with this track.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Random thought: it'd be cool if they got some female backup singers for the tour. I just imagine them harmonizing with Trent and it sounding amazing, especially with this track.
    so... Mariqueen?

freakout with hints of misogyny below this line

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I personally hope it's NOT a downward spiral part two. Trent is a 40 year old man married with kids, it would feel kinda immature for him to revisit something that was his life from 20 years ago. I hope this song is about someone else, a conceptual character like a soldier, or even something like a character from YZ who's been abducted by the 'presence'...YZ part two...we can only hope!!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    I personally hope it's NOT a downward spiral part two. Trent is a 40 year old man married with kids, it would feel kinda immature for him to revisit something that was his life from 20 years ago. I hope this song is about someone else, a conceptual character like a soldier, or even something like a character from YZ who's been abducted by the 'presence'...YZ part two...we can only hope!!
    *48-year-old

also, please, no. let's just let it be what it is without theorizing too much before we have the full album.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    I personally hope it's NOT a downward spiral part two. Trent is a 40 year old man married with kids, it would feel kinda immature for him to revisit something that was his life from 20 years ago.
    Yeah... because only angsty youngsters deal with depression and suicide. Being a married adult with kids disqualifies you from all that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Yeah... because only angsty youngsters deal with depression and suicide. Being a married adult with kids disqualifies you from all that.
    I didn't say that, but I would hope he isn't in that place. It would be quite sad to know Trent is in that place, when he's always said they he had been in a good place for a long time now.

essentially, nin has been about progression, both musically and subject matter, so I'd hope for something that yet again, breaks all boundaries and expectations.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Over 1,000,000 listens already!!! (VEVO & Sound Cloud combined)

I work in a typical office (communications); I've had a couple people randomly bring up & comment on "the new Nine Inch Nails song"... good comments of course. CBH is generating a lot of buzz.
    Last edited by snaapz; 06-07-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Not to mention that Trent has said multiple times that it was only after he made The Downward Spiral that he actually became the person in the narrative of the album. It's acting. Why does everything Trent makes have to be relevant to his current life? Why does he have to be miserable in order to sing about being miserable? You think when he sings Hurt that he's singing from the same place where he wrote it? He certainly draws from that when he performs, but so do actors when they're playing an emotional role. It's all an act.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Am I the only one in the uk thinking I'll wait till monday to buy it and hope tht it gets higher in the charts? Maybe get a bit more airplay?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^
    is it even really 'out' in the UK as such, I haven't seen it on iTunes. I downloaded it due to buying the deluxe CD from NIN.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I looked it up on iTunes through my fone, it is there and sitting about 116 in the charts, pretty sure when THTF came out did it not place 2nd to the rhcp by the way?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty79 View Post
    I looked it up on iTunes through my fone, it is there and sitting about 116 in the charts, pretty sure when THTF came out did it not place 2nd to the rhcp by the way?
    seeing as THTF came out in 2005 and by the way in 2002, i dont think so

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    finally heard it on sirius octane. i took the long way home and hit rewind four times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    finally heard it on sirius octane. i took the long way home and hit rewind four times

I have that same player - you need a wired audio connection! You're cheating yourself w the FM transmitter believe me.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
    I have that same player - you need a wired audio connection! You're cheating yourself w the FM transmitter believe me.
    i dont have an aux input, unless i install it after taking the stereo out of the dashboard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm on the nay boat eventhough I see where the yay people are coming from.

Cannot get over the cheesy vocals, especially "hau hau haunted"..... -_- Musically, it's catchy, sure. But am not a fan of the new poppy tracks.

Hopefully the album provides better tracks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    i dont have an aux input, unless i install it after taking the stereo out of the dashboard
    You don't need an aux input, you can get a kit that installs into the antenna port on the back of the factory radio.