Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I think I hear some "Hot Chip" Influence in this track.
    YES! It reminds me so much of Night and Day in terms of idk like wonkiness?? In terms of not being able to predict where its gonna go and its sort of funky.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragilecat View Post
    to quote this random press release "See below for itinerary and specific on sale dates. Fans who register at www.nin.com will receive exclusive first access to tickets before they go on sale to the general public."

They didn't include that information but from the looks of it Monday might be the time they roll out the first access tickets? Who knows, this is totally a stretch but based on the article COS put together I think this might be an official press release that this blog copied and pasted from their email.
    I kinda hope they don't go on sale till at least August, I need to save up my moneys!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANTCOMPLAIN View Post
    Discipline...fucking masterpiece compared to this
    The new song is a million times better than the above piece of junk you just named. It does not get anymore radio friendly pop with NIN than it did with Discipline, and the lyrics were even worse in that song!

I want you to seriously go listen to Discipline and Came Back Haunted back to back. You'll be pleasently surprised with how much more superior the new track is in comparison.

Sad to say this track is no "TDS" or "Fragile" masterpiece, but that Trent will never be back, ever. His emotional state of mind in not in that place anymore. Anyone hoping for TDS or TF part 2 really should just go back and relive the glory days by just listening to those albums. Music is all about evolving as an artist to reflect a time of your life you are in now. Who cares if it "poppy" or "catchy", it's alot better than 90% of other new bands these days.

But seriously, if you think this ranks as NIN's worst song ever, you need to give some of those tracks, and others you didn't mention another listen back to back with this song, your opinion might change.

And besides, the single is always the weakest link on a NIN album. The Single is not meant for the hardcore fan, it's meant for the radio friendly fan to try and get more people into the band. The new record will hands down, as usual, have 2-3 really amazing boarderline "the best" NIN tracks of all time on here, much like all his albums do.

I have faith in Trent, he knows what he's doing. Even if we get a [With_Teeth]2 over a TDS2, at the end of the day, it's still new NIN music. New NIN music is better than not having any new NIN music at all.

Personally, I can't stand any of the NIN singles from the last 3 albums... Survivalism, Capital G, Discipline, THTF, Only... I cringe when I hear most of those songs played, but the accompanying albums those songs are on (as I mentioned above) have some really solid songs on them.

I think it's fine to not be "blown away" by a single. People get too up in arms forgetting what a single is really for. To have a catchy hook, and appeal to the masses. And I think this song does both those things very well.

It's what's expected of "post Fragile" NIN single material at this point.

Then again, I may very well just be praising the song so much as it's brand new, and fresh and such a welcoming change from HTDA and The soundtracks he's done. It's nice to hear his voice in a song again, and i'm sure once the album drops i'll be sick of this song and think it's the weakest track on the new record, but until the new album drops, i'll keep on blasting this song at top volume on repeat all summer long!
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-06-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    It seems the stereo in my office has chosen this moment - this moment - to stop working.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    holy. fucking. shit...

Just got home, finally catching up on everything. This song gets better every time I'm listening to it, I'm in love with it!

Sounds wise, if were comparing it to previous albums, I get a Year Zero vibe with a little bit of With Teeth mixed in (guitars and vocals at some points sound very WT to me)....but either way, I'm totally digging this.

and tour dates to go along with it?! sensory overload right now! Now I have to figure out which shows I'm going to make.

My ONLY issue... is I wish NIN would tour Canada in the summers...waiting in line outside during the winter sucks balls, but I'll take it anyway! (anyone remember the Kelowna date for the LITS tour? fuck me, that was cold)
    So close to the first Calgary date too back on Nov 17th of 2005.

This time it's the 25th and like 8 years later.

My thoughts on the single.

Yes it's poppy, yes the lyrics are simple pretty basic structured but it's catchy and the music's good.

I'm sorry if it's not for everyone one, nothing i can really do about that.

A little McDonalds once in a while never killed anyone, sometimes it's a nice snack in the midst of fine dining habits.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 06-06-2013 at 04:13 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    GAY DANCE PARTY!

Quite happy with this actually.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    And besides, the single is always the weakest link on a NIN album. [...] I have faith in Trent, he knows what he's doing. Even if we get a [With_Teeth]2 over a TDS2, at the end of the day, it's still new NIN music. New NIN music is better than not having any new NIN music at all.
    That, and this. I have been repeatedly underwhelmed by every single and snippet Reznor has thrown at us since 1999. Deep was as lukewarm as green paint slowly drying under the sun, Discipline sounded like an hymn for timid spanking clubs, The Hand That Feeds a weak call to arms with no message whatsoever... Yet once in the context of an album they fit perfectly. I hated Ice Age when it was a single, but now it makes sense.
    I've come to terms with the fact that NIN won't be the revolutionary force it once was, and frankly I believe it was mostly a matter of timing and circumstances back then, as it often is the case. But fuck the man knows his craft, and he knows what he's doing more than ever before, which is why we're blessed with hours and hours of soundscapes, OSTs, side projects and collaborations. Seriously beats the time when you'd kill ten CDs and a dozen tapes by the time you get a new record, and hunt down every remix on earth just to have your fix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragile Teeth View Post
    I feel the same way about this song as I've felt about the past few releases. IDK... Every time Trent says he wants to do something new but he sounds like he's still using similar structures and chords.

The song seems a little lazy to me... I know it will grow on me but his work has been lacking a certain polish writing wise while the production sound wise is amazing.
    I agree. I had a similar impression. It felt like YZ, DS and some lazy guitar thrown in. I kept expecting a great build-up but alas I could not find it. Also, once again there's the drum machine and analog synths?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'll start with what I like: The overall energy. It's crispy, the bass is fat and the tempo kinda addicting. Good start.

What comes next might have to do with what Columbia required from the NIN camp: A jingle for the new NIN album.

Not a huge fan of the overall introduction to the new album though. Nothing really goes anywhere, the track feels anonymous, it leaves me with no clear memory of what just happened, it feels like it's about to take me to a climax = no climax; no faces are being punched and I'm not being challenged in any other way than just feeling grateful for something mediocre. I may be expecting too much.

I'm also kinda tired of that TDS "chromatic melody" still making an entrance in everything he does. Yes, Trent, we see what you did there...

The video:
    The use of analogue tape machinery to play something that sounds as sterile as anything digital is just pointless.

I know it's a single and singles are usually constructed as marketable tools, that doesn't mean it can't be amazing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hmmm.... lot more electronic than I was expecting, bit like Year Zero. I wasn't sure about it for the first minute or so, but from then on, it was as awesome as ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Now I got something you got to see....your world on fire!"
    "Don't act surprised". Survivalisim anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    it's dancy, poppy, safe, that background base looping over and over and over and never stopping at all....geez, come on and mix it up a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    You should probably get to editing.

On topic: Came Back Haunted is a great NIN-ass NIN single for a new NIN album. Be happy fuckers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    Also, once again there's the drum machine and analog synths?
    Woah, that's a good point because that also surprised me. I thought it will more be like Mantra. But that doesn't make the song any worse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds like what you'd get if you put all of Trent's cliche's into a computer and it mixed it into a song and spat it onto soundcloud. Not bad though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok I'm confused

my two cents :

Echoplex + Hand that feeds + The beginning of the end.

I feel there are pieces of everything I've already heard, assembled in a somewhat complacent way.

The lyrics remind me of something he would have written on Pretty Hate Machine, back when his lyrical genius hadn't fully unraveled. Perhaps has he become a little disconnected from the angst that used to drive his writing. Trent's life has changed, he seems to have come to grips with his daemons, and I'm happy for him. As such, the writing on this track feels a little simulated and conformist to his own genre without actually expressing any introspective depth.

The track as a whole just didn't excite me. It feels like a big projection. Fair enough, Trent Reznor is probably the only one on who can legitimately pull off replicating his own body of work to this extent, but as a fan of nearly 20 years, I was obviously expecting he would bring something new to the table.

I'd rate this 6.5 / 10

That said, this is a first track and there are so many more to come, I can't wait to hear them.
    Last edited by shapermusic; 06-06-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANTCOMPLAIN View Post
    Yeah, I know, I'll ask the mods to change my nick. XD I was listening to Nirvana's "On A Plain" when I chose it, my bad. XD
    Oh. I thought you were referencing Getting Better, by a certain arthropod-pun-monickered Liverpudlian band. You're a little bit less cool to me now.

Anyway, I like the song. It's something to experiment with one's sexuality to while high on radioactive gases.
    It's so derivative though, how typical of Trent's post-Fragile work. Sounds just like a cross between Something I Can Never Have, Edward James Olmos' little-known early chamber music and the engine note of a Bugatti Atlantic.
    Last edited by Vertigo; 06-06-2013 at 04:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    So close to the first Calgary date too back on Nov 17th of 2005.

This time it's the 25th and like 8 years later

8 years & 8 days... lookin like the date I'll hit again this time. Was nice that & LITS tour to have staggered dates to enjoy a few shows, but I'm fine with one date for the tour now. Not gonna risk killing the vibe of the experience following the same set (or virtually so) consecutive nights

CBH sounds great. Not exactly original, sounding like a result between minimalism & a tattering of post Fragile instrumentation, but fun nonetheless & still cooler than anything else being released. Still yearning to hear music from the perspective of something to prove, but will enjoy this & whatever comes this way regardless. Btw, revisiting Ghosts on headphones right now in light of all the excitement and quite enjoying it a tonne after abandoning it for quite some time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Were you expecting something so nail-grinding and awesome like a mix between TDS and TF? I was kinda, for some reason. I wanted my balls ripped apart and not gently tingled by this new single.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It'd be a much better track if it ended around 4:10, the exit adds nothing but length.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I love Broken, The Downward Spiral and Further Down The Spiral the most and consider it NIN's best but those days are long gone and never coming back. I really wonder why people get so stuck, fixated or wishing for that sound and style again
    Because that's the kind of music we enjoy. Some of us wanna ROCK.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-06-2013 at 05:07 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Something really weird happened to me this morning. My body woke me up at 5.30 and I checked my phone quickly to find the single had been leaked.
    It's like my body knew.
    Also, I bloody love it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ...so i came back farting

(just can't stop!)

OMFG WHOLE DAY ON REPEAT AND ITS BRILLIANT!!1
    _JUST_CANT_WORK_

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper Street View Post
    You should probably get to editing.

On topic: Came Back Haunted is a great NIN-ass NIN single for a new NIN album. Be happy fuckers.
    Just created the page for the single.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Wink

Love it. Reminds me of "The Hand that Feeds" and "Only", both of which I'll defend to the death. Although I prefer both Year Zero and The Slip as full albums, With_Teeth had the strongest singles IMHO.
    Last edited by xmd 5a; 06-06-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Umm on first listen, just umm. It will probably grow on me.

and people don't hate on Discipline !!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I don't understand the comparisons to Discipline. Discipline is a steaming pile of shit compared to this track. Came back haunted is so damn catchy; i can't wait to get home from work so i can listen to it again!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Have to disagree. I am not comparing the two, but I love Discipline!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sent the link to my young cousin, he described it as "psychedelic techno".

So this is what I could transcribe - I'm not so sure though about the first (few) word(s) in the second verse. Suggestions?

Haunted

The thought is deep and the mouth is wide
    Saw some things on the other side
    Made me promise to never tell
    You know me, I can't help myself

Now I got something you have to see
    They put something inside of me
    The smile is red and its eyes are black
    I don't think I'll be coming back

I don't believe in
    I had to see it
    I came back haunted
    I came back haunted
    I said goodbye but I
    I had to try
    I came back haunted
    I came back haunted

Everywhere now reminding me
    I am not who I used to be
    I'm afraid this has just began
    Consequences for what I've done

I don't believe in
    I had to see it
    I came back
    I came back haunted
    I said goodbye
    I had to try
    I came back
    I came back haunted

Haunted

I don't believe in
    I had to see it
    I came back
    I came back haunted
    I said goodbye and I
    I had to try
    I came back
    I came back haunted
    They tried to tell me but
    I couldn't stop myself
    I came back
    I came back haunted

Just can't stop
    Came back haunted
    Just can't stop
    Came back haunted
    Just can't stop
    Came back haunted
    Just can't stop
    Came back haunted
    Just can't stop
    Came back haunted
    Just can't stop
    Came back haunted
    Just can't stop
    Came back haunted
    Just can't stop
    Came back haunted
    Just can't stop
    Came back haunted
    Just can't stop
    Last edited by Henrie_Schnee; 06-06-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    GODDAMN! I'm fucking happy.