Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    remember this tweet?

Still don't know how reliable the source is, but it seems likely. It would be pretty awesome if the new single had the Quartet strings on it, too. Although from the short single description, it doesn't sound like the case. Either way, I think it would be cool if Trent went for a orchestral/electronic combo for the new record.
    It's possible they still hooked up, but they have been on tour. There were a couple of windows when they were in California and had mini-tour-breaks, but they might have been already booked with their own stuff.

March 9-14 New Zealand
    March 23 Long Beach
    April 3-4 Netherlands
    April 6 France
    April 20-21 Stanford
    April 27 New Hampshire
    etc.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Just in case it isn't on the stream, any of the LA-based people here prepared to record this for us?
    From the article it doesn't seem to be Kroq exclusive. Maybe it is better to find a station that didn't fuck us over the last time they debuted a TR song?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Came Back Haunted sounds a wee bit Strobe Light :P

But yay, new NIN!
    Yeah, I agree. It's also cool at the same time. It's right on the edge of "playfully silly" and "extra serious/dramatic", and I think that's a fun place for the single to be. It definitely seems to allow for the creative energy to harken back to earlier NIN.

I'm definitely thrilled about all of this! I hope this album is the serious body of work that we (and he?) have been waiting to be released, but new Nine Inch Nails is always a great thing. This is exciting.
    Last edited by xmp3x; 06-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Came Back Haunted: the song title connotes graveyards, haunted houses or a return from a journey to a spiritual or emotionally intense place...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Anyone taking bets on how long it will take jaypayton to say it sucks?
    Pitchfork Review: 3/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Came Back Haunted: the song title connotes graveyards, haunted houses or a return from a journey to a spiritual or emotionally intense place...
    What if Trent's being less than honest again.. and the new NIN album is actually his soundtrack to Ghostbusters III? .. Columbia Records/Pictures.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'd like to think it's part 2 of the unreleased track My Dead Friend...

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hippygeek View Post
    Pitchfork Review: 3/10
    Pitchfork: "Somewhere between an oscillating ventriloquist looking for his soul and a vegetable farmer in a drought praying for even just a drop of rain, 'Came Back Haunted,' the new song from Trent Reznor's indecipherable smörgåsbord of unilaterally titillating cacophonous tomfoolery is at once brightly enigmatic and warm and painfully alone. Eliciting the marked truculent force of his 'Downward Spiral' days with the melancholy halcyon of 'Still,' Reznor destroys all misconceptions about what he's been up to these last four years as he screams the opening lines: 'I am woman, hear me roar!' Indeed, Trent. Indeed."

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    It's a reference to the comeback tour. Trent will come on stage dressed as a bat. It will be a characture of the last 2 decades of the NIN community that he wants to break away from.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    It's a reference to the comeback tour. Trent will come on stage dressed as a bat. It will be a characture of the last 2 decades of the NIN community that he wants to break away from.
    Are you serious?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostofme View Post
    What if Trent's being less than honest again.. and the new NIN album is actually his soundtrack to Ghostbusters III? .. Columbia Records/Pictures.
    Surprised no one suggested the song being about coming back from war aka OMG YEAR ZERO PART TWO!!!!!1!!?!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperthin567 View Post
    Are you serious?
    I have a NIN penis cozy as an avatar.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    I have a NIN penis cozy as an avatar.
    Yup, it's definitely serious. o_O

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Didn't you hear? That old geezer from King Crimson is supposedly in it.
    Go back to your cave.
    don't be shocked if there's 12-15 songs on the new album and Belew played on 3 or 4 lol....for all the Belew lovers, when all is said and done, Belew's NIN legacy will rank somewhere in between Ron Musarra and Gary Talpas

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Living in a vast land of dolphins, the monkey men crept in to sniff the crab cakes of heavens not yet seen. And on that day the dwarf man knew no wrong. He knew that there was wallop of wonderful and it was indeed good. He took that wallop to the main man of yesternothing. The main man was displeased with the dwarf and beat him. Finally he sent the dwarf back on his journey home. The dwarf's whores celebrated his return with a few Doritos Locos tacos. But something was wrong. Their little penis provider was different, changed. He came back haunted...
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 06-05-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    This topic got absolutely hilarious real quick.

I wonder if it's going to have a fast tempo. Would that qualify as having a "dance-y beat"?
    Last edited by gorast; 06-04-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: dance-y not dancy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    This topic got absolutely hilarious real quick.

I wonder if it's going to have a fast tempo. Would that qualify as having a "dance-y beat"?
    Why does it matter? It was stated that the song does NOT have a "dance-y" beat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm giddy like I'm in high school or some shit. Very excited for Thursday, gah I love NIN.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Love how there's only been the smallest announcement of a new song and there's already 4 pages on it XD

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    remember this tweet?

Still don't know how reliable the source is, but it seems likely. It would be pretty awesome if the new single had the Quartet strings on it, too. Although from the short single description, it doesn't sound like the case. Either way, I think it would be cool if Trent went for a orchestral/electronic combo for the new record.

Oh yeah, and the single title is pretty cool too.
    That would be siiick.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Add this to the list and 2013 is shaping up to be one of the best years in music. Thursday cannot come fast enough!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Over 50% of song titles sound stupid without context.

This brings me right back to the pre with teeth days. So excited.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paperthin567 View Post
    Why does it matter? It was stated that the song does NOT have a "dance-y" beat.
    Wait, I thought it said the exact opposite.

No, I was just remembering it wrong.

In any case, dial it back, dude, it's just the Internet. Don't establish yourself as a douche less than a month after joining a forum.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Wait, I thought it said the exact opposite.

No, I was just remembering it wrong.

In any case, dial it back, dude, it's just the Internet. Don't establish yourself as a douche less than a month after joining a forum.
    :-).......

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I miss that brief period of time where we only got the news straight from horses mouth. Or when I'd wake up and Ghosts was sold out before I even knew what it was. I still have funny feelings about the whole columbia thing... I'm really not a fan of major labels and all that comes with it.

also, in keeping with my feelings that Nine Inch Nails never really went away "Came Back Haunted" is kind of an ironic title.

fingers crossed, though! glad we get to hear it soon.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

What's this thing here in my pants? Oh, it's just a raging anticipitory boner. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm not sure what to make of the move back to major label/radio support. I'm not jumping up to call it something pointless like "selling out," but it makes me a bit sad that apparently the various independent experiments weren't really a success. It's kind of depressing that even someone as firmly established as Trent Reznor cannot find a way to make it work, and that it's basically an admission that the major labels and original institution still do serve a legitimate purpose, even to the people who it would seem need them the least. He's gone from self-distribution and no label with tracks "leaked" to The Pirate Bay to quietly returning to the major label approach to everything.

I don't hold it against him, but it's telling and more than just a little bit discouraging.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-05-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    He's gone from self-distribution and no label with tracks "leaked" to The Pirate Bay to quietly returning to the major label approach to everything.
    Has he, though? He might have a whole lot of control at Columbia... even more then I guess he had at Interscope. Columbia might be a glorified distribution / promotion center for him, with no creative control. Isn't that exactly what we'd all want a major label to be? Maybe they think his stint as an independent artist was so successful they made the deal on his terms.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Has he, though? He might have a whole lot of control at Columbia... even more then I guess he had at Interscope. Columbia might be a glorified distribution / promotion center for him, with no creative control. Isn't that exactly what we'd all want a major label to be? Maybe they think his stint as an independent artist was so successful they made the deal on his terms.
    That's always how I took the news of NIN returning to a label. I do wish Trent was more forthcoming on the decision through as he trumpeted his departure from 'the system' in early '08.
    I don't think he'd make a deal where he was having to argue over the quality of paper in a booklet again (like with Interscope).
    I'd like to think the deal is that Columbia distribute and market and take a small cut and "don't make more money from Trent Reznor than Trent Reznor"

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    I have no doubt that his contract with Columbia is a fantastic one. I'm certain he'll maintain unobstructed artistic control. He has the clout to secure that leverage... although I'm still perplexed why he's bothering with KROQ. They're about as relevant as MTV at this point.

What I'm a bit bummed out by is that the DIY gesture has more or less fizzled out as a result of the move back to the major label approach. The sentiment behind what he was doing before seemed to be a fairly impressive "fuck you" to the industry. Sure, you need existing clout to have that gesture register on any real level, but it still means something. I guess part of the hope of most music fans was that it would pan out to prove a legitimate success, establishing that label backing was unnecessary or even anachronistic for someone with that stature. I think a lot of people are genuinely concerned about the future of the music industry, and not just with regards to whether or not it will continue to be profitable for the artists. A lot has been hinging on the issue, and I'd be interested to hear him say why he chose to go back... and I guess I'd hope the answer wouldn't be "it's easier, they handle the advertising and other bullshit I don't want to deal with, and in the end I make more money."

Still, I expect that the answer is probably something like that (more or less). I'm not casting judgment, I get it, I think it's completely reasonable. I just think it's a little bit of a let down.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    New big label backing didn't win him a lot of point in my eyes because i still can't buy "Welcome Oblivion" in my town, only have to order from abroad, wait 3-5 weeks and hope it arrives in one piece. Same with new nin album, i have a bad feeling about international releases.