Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1360

Thread: NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I could actually see this track on the HTDA 2010 EP if you put Mariqueen on vocals, took out the guitar solo, and took out the synth at 4:20. Put it somewhere around Parasite, BBB, and Fur Lined. For some people, that's a bad thing. But for me, I like it!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    The fact that people are bitching about the new music is a good sign, especially in context of it not being similar to his old work. The moment everyone loves his new stuff is the moment we need to worry. Trent always respected Bowie for pissing people off.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 06-09-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragile Teeth View Post
    I've listened to CBH pretty closely and can hear it's components pretty clearly, extra kicks, hi-hat work etc, more clearly than Heresy but it may be the production and my ear space BUT you could argue that more is going on in CBH than No, You Don't but No, You Don't breaks the pace of the song with a different drum beat and brings a different mood with the guitars in the bridge before going back to what is pretty much classic trent, looping beat, repeating melody, added hi-hat in chorus. extra guitar in chorus etc. that to me is what makes a good NIN song and while CBH does provide some extra mood with the chorus guitars they are grounded or retrained by the repeating synth I feel like... IDK..
    but... the bassline and guitars in No, You Don't stay the same the whole way through? I mean, wasn't that your original complaint? If your qualification for a complex song is that the feel shifts from midtempo to uptempo because of the 8th to 16th note hi-hats... ok

I mean, if every song did that, it would get sort of boring and predictable? (See: Rammstein. Who I love, but that's their schtick.)

The Wretched has the same feel going on the whole time, and same beat, it just changes the drum sounds from verse/chorus. CBH does something similar. (Oh, and the extra hi-hats in CBH do create a perceived tempo shift, along with the guitar drones (I'm not sure they're guitars, to be honest).) Another comparison would be "Sin," which is very structurally similar to this song (but with a 10th of the complexity in the arrangement).
    Last edited by screwdriver; 06-09-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    To the people comparing CBH to Heresy and saying how CBH is a more complex and better structured song....Try comparing TR's vocal delivery in Heresy compared to CBH...Two different worlds...His vocal delivery in Heresy is miles above anything he does in CBH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    but... the bassline and guitars in No, You Don't stay the same the whole way through? I mean, wasn't that your original complaint? If your qualification for a complex song is that the feel shifts from midtempo to uptempo because of the 8th to 16th note hi-hats... ok

I mean, if every song did that, it would get sort of boring and predictable?

The Wretched has the same feel going on the whole time, and same beat, it just changes the drum sounds from verse/chorus. CBH does something similar. (Oh, and the extra hi-hats in CBH do create a perceived tempo shift, along with the guitar drones (I'm not sure they're guitars, to be honest).)
    no, youre misunderstaning. No You Don't does not have the same riff the entire way through. the verse, chorus, outro have the same riff but it has a break down. The guitars change, the drums change.

Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    To the people comparing CBH to Heresy and saying how CBH is a more complex and better structured song....Try comparing TR's vocal delivery in Heresy compared to CBH...Two different worlds...His vocal delivery in Heresy is miles above anything he does in CBH
    I really wasn't trying to compare them at all. Really I would just put that beside some of the stuff on Year Zero and say that it really doesn't even have the same... heart.
    Last edited by Fragile Teeth; 06-09-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I don't think there's people comparing it as a song, I just used it as an example of a song whose bassline doesn't change, since that was a complaint. We used that as a springboard for the arrangements; and I also never said it was "better structured." I am saying there is more complexity to the arrangement in CBH than Heresy as laid out through the density and difficulty of the parts. "better" or "worse" is entirely in your eyes.

the vocal delivery ... I mean, this seems like a very subjective measurement. I haven't really thought about it. It sounds like you like the style better on Heresy, since they're so different its tough to compare -- its apples and oranges. Heresy is mainly done in a falsetto, and this is not. But, again, whatever floats your boat is cool.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    no, youre misunderstaning. No You Don't does not have the same riff the entire way through. the verse, chorus, outro have the same riff but it has a break down. The guitars change, the drums change.
    I'm not "misunderstanding." The bassline is the same the entire song. The timbre may change (as it does in CBH) but the notes and the rhythm stay the same. Even during the breakdown. There's a perceived shift in the tempo because the drums go from 8th to 16th note based patterns, but the bassline stays the same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't think there's people comparing it as a song, I just used it as an example of a song whose bassline doesn't change, since that was a complaint. We used that as a springboard for the arrangements; and I also never said it was "better structured." I am saying there is more complexity to the arrangement in CBH than Heresy as laid out through the density and difficulty of the parts. "better" or "worse" is entirely in your eyes.

the vocal delivery ... I mean, this seems like a very subjective measurement. I haven't really thought about it. It sounds like you like the style better on Heresy, since they're so different its tough to compare -- its apples and oranges. Heresy is mainly done in a falsetto, and this is not. But, again, whatever floats your boat is cool.
    Also though, Heresy's bassline does change, during the bridge which to me is enough. CBH bassline repeats and stops at some points but just comes back with no variation although I noticed the difference in texture during the chorus, i just think the bass should have followed the guitar and when he says came back haunted have the synth line repeat... hard to explain but Trent does it all the time. Kinda like Survivalism or The Hand That Feeds.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    The fact that people are bitching about the new music is a good sign, especially in context of it not being similar to his old work. The moment everyone loves his new stuff is the moment we need to worry. Trent always respected Bowie for pissing people off.
    Or maybe it just means that some people don't like it as much as you do?

The overwhelming consensus here seems to be "Holy fuck this is the greatest thing ever! I just listened to it a hundred times in a row and I still love it!" Naysayers and people who are mostly ambivalent seem to be the minority opinion here. Should we be worried?

Honestly, outside of Belieber fan circles, you're going to get a handful of people who don't like the new music. Trying to spin that as an indication that he's doing something daring and avant garde is ridiculous. You can feel however you want about the new song, but it's not that big of a departure from the stuff we've heard on the last few albums. It's pretty much straight up dancey pop music.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not "misunderstanding." The bassline is the same the entire song. The timbre may change (as it does in CBH) but the notes and the rhythm stay the same. Even during the breakdown. There's a perceived shift in the tempo because the drums go from 8th to 16th note based patterns, but the bassline stays the same.
    heres the song so you can listen to it.

the drums change during the chorus. The bass follows the guitar during the verse/chorus and during the bridge with the drums from the verse it just plays the tonic note "E" until is goes out completely and comes back with the main riff. 2:00 minutes in.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    heres the song so you can listen to it.

the drums change during the chorus. The bass follows the guitar during the verse/chorus and during the bridge with the drums from the verse it just plays the tonic note "E" until is goes out completely and comes back with the main riff. 2:00 minutes in.
    I said the drums change.

if you listen to the recording, the bassline continues to track the main riff even during the breakdown. I'm actually really glad you posted the live video, because you can physically see the same thing occurring.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I still like the song enough, like a 5/10 or 6/10. Especially dig the instrumentation in the second verse.

I personally find it a harder song to "peg" entirely...so I can't wait to hear how it stands in the album context. That said, I have a feeling there'll be surprises abound, and that this single is about as close to familiar as it gets from the new NIN. Or maybe that's just my high hope... When's the album leak date?
    Last edited by Amaro; 06-09-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I said the drums change.

if you listen to the recording, the bassline continues to track the main riff even during the breakdown. I'm actually really glad you posted the live video, because you can physically see the same thing occurring.
    What the hell video are you watching? The video during the bridge doesnt even SHOW jeordie until he stops playing when trent starts singing and what song are you hearing. Literally... The recording, the bass plays one note during the bridge. I've checked. The riff is not continued on bass and stops when Trent starts singing.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    What the hell video are you watching? The video during the bridge doesnt even SHOW jeordie until he stops playing when trent starts singing and what song are you hearing. Literally... The recording, the bass plays one note during the bridge. I've checked. The riff is not continued on bass and stops when Trent starts singing.
    Im sorry, I guess I misunderstood you after all. I didn't think we were counting holding the root note during a pause as a new "bassline." In that case, CBH has different bassline, as it holds a root note during each breakdown for a few measures.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    'Came back haunted' has pretty much received more youtube listens in 3 days than Starfuckers & Into the void received in 3-4 years....

Combined Soundcloud and Youtube listens make it a leading NIN song over all. It may soon blow nearly every NIN song out of the water. At this rate within a week or 3.

Well done.
    Last edited by snaapz; 06-10-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I agreethat's why I'm interested in what "Fred" finds to be "complex" music
    In this case, ultimately the layering. Is it complex as far as time signatures and the like go? No, definitely not. Maybe "complex" was a crappy word. Maybe I should've stuck to layered.

Cause I do agree with what was pointed out above - that, as far as layering goes, it's as dense as much of "The Fragile" was. Which I think is nice to hear - "The Slip" had a punk-ish vibe to it because it - apart from the two ambient tracks - was kind of in-your-face, unrefined and able to be played live by a four-man line-up without much restructuring. "Year Zero" was totally different and favoured glitchy electronics rather than those huge, bombastic Reznor-productions. "With Teeth" had some moments, but was also fairly close to "just" being a conventional rock album.To my ears, this song kind of heralds the return of the productions we were treated to on "The Downward Spiral" and "The Fragile", without being a step back. Which is a sound I've missed, but hadn't expected to hear again.

And, as was pointed out above as well, it's a hard song to "peg" or classify. Maybe except the chorus, which is typical of TR. But it's different and I like when he puts something out that kinda adds new colours to the palette. Or, rather, mixes some new ones.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-10-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Had one thought having read various criticisms of the lyrics. If they were already cringeworthy, in some people's opinions, just think what the reaction would have been if he'd changed 'I said goodbye' to 'I waved goodbye'....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I sincerely think that both "Heresy" and "No, You Don't" are like a billion times better than "Came Back Haunted", which after many many listens keeps being my least favorite NIN's song ever.

With said listens I'm getting more used to it, but when Trent said that he was going to work harder and longer for the next NIN's album, I hoped he wouldn't come back haunted but with a great album and a kick ass single, specially after his amazing score works and a really good (imo) HTDA's album (so I'm not bitching because I want NIN to sound like 15 years ago). But this single has been really underwhelming, I hope there is another one (maybe with a video) before the album is out, and I hope it's far better than this.

I also hope far better tracks in the album, maybe that way I'll get used to "CBH", because I didn't like a couple of tracks from previous albums like "The Collector" or "Letting You" and I like them now, so maybe the same will happen with this song, but I still think that a new single after so many years should have been much much better, and I don't say this because "it's simple, poppy and catchy", many previous singles were like that and they were pretty great.

I'm also concerned about this new album being some kind of "TDS 2.0", it would be a really bad idea. I remember reading a few months ago that Martin Scorsese wanted to film "Taxi Driver 2" with DeNiro and I thought: "FUCK, NO. PLEASE, NO", and this would be something similar, I don't want to see Trent delivering his own "Prometheus", the same way I don't want Manson to record "ACSS 2" ever, I hope the new album is just something new and different (and good, if I'm not asking too much).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Where are these TDS comparisons coming from? I dont think this songs indicates any return to a sample heavy atmosphere sound of the spiral. This is more in line with Year Zero/The Slip. Is this because that radio DJ said she heard the song and it reminded her of the first 2 albums?

Apart from that think about this... Did TDS sounds like March Of The Pigs? Did The Fragile sound like TDTWWA? Did With Teeth sound like the hand feeding song? Did Year Zero sounds like Survivalism? Chances are good that this record will sound unlike this song but merely an indication of what we can expect. lots of button pushing, knob twiddling and heavily prcessed passive aggressive guitars.

I kinda miss when Trent put a more 'metal' influence into the riffs.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    When I first listened to the song, I didn't really get the appeal, but decided to give it another go. On the second or third listen, I started to hear all the cool things going on with the production and just how catchy the chorus was, and then I was hooked. I spent most of that day with CBH on a continuous loop. So I preface my criticism by saying that I'm definitely a fan of the song, and I'm really looking forward to hearing it live.

But like a lot of fans, the "typical" NIN lyrics here kind of bug me. Sometimes it feels like Trent writes with some kind of NIN magnetic poetry set and it can get to the point where it actually takes away from the music. I'm fine with simplicity-- some of the songs that NIN fans slag off for being too simplistic are some of my faves-- but seriously, there are more words in the English language than "back," "black," "hide," "inside," "me" and "be."

And the thing is, I think Trent is capable of writing some great lyrics when he wants to, but not in this song. I also think he's capable of being a great singer when he chooses to be, but not so much in this song; the vocals are okay, but I feel like the song would benefit from a more playful cadence he seems really reluctant to use, outside of Only. I kind of feel like being a NIN fan is this weird kind of ARG where you're rooting for Trent to put out the music you KNOW he's capable of, since he's just so damned talented, but it's like he generally refuses to use all of his musical tools at the same time.

"C'mon TR, you can sing with actual heart, I know you can! And you can write lyrics that use complex words like "contaminate" and "alleviate" and stuff, now do it! All together now...ooookay this song has kind of crappy lyrics, but you can do it next time!"

Just to clarify, I don't think I'm bitching about the song, nor am I longing for some imaginary halycon days of NIN that only really existed in my mind. I think I just have higher expectations for NIN than any other act because I know just how good it can be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The thing is, this is pretty clearly a catchy single put out to drum up some interest in the new album. We very seldom get high-calibre songs as singles - I mean, look at Discipline. A few people thought we were being trolled.

I wouldn't take this as an indication of what he'll be capable of on the new album. I think fans are just jazzed in particular because it's very evocative of some of the typical Trent tropes: it has a great beat, it's catchy as hell and it's something you can easily sing along to - traits which some of NIN's best, most-loved and 'deepest' songs generally don't have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Throwing in my penny
    I "just can't stop" listening to that new single. If I WERE to compare it to older singles, I don't think I'd be pretty eloquent because I do believe it is different. It feels much more layered than let's say THTF or Discipline, but a bit less catchy. Still I keep coming back to it.

Bottom line, I can't explain it, I just love it, and loving something is RARELY rational. I'm entitled to love it as much as the next next man is entitled to hate it. I'm not a critic after all, simply a fan of Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...f-the-week-67/

Guess who's #1?
    Am I the the only one who dislike this song?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Where are these TDS comparisons coming from? I dont think this songs indicates any return to a sample heavy atmosphere sound of the spiral. This is more in line with Year Zero/The Slip. Is this because that radio DJ said she heard the song and it reminded her of the first 2 albums?
    TDS comparisons == from the DJ, some, but I think mainly from the artwork/font choices/name of the album. All clearly designed to evoke TDS.

As for the song, it sounds nothing like TDS. to the extent there is some confusion over that, it's because we got into a discussion of songs where the bassline stays the same throughout the verse and the chorus, and I brought up Heresy. I in no way think the song "sounds" anything like TDS.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    am i the the only one who dislike this song?
    yes. Yes you are.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    NOW I REMEMBER!!!!

YES. THAT SONG! That's why I don't really like it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised if he recorded the vocals for this song years ago(maybe even WT era). But the composition and mixing sound like post TGWTDT Reznor.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Were you guys like this when Discipline came out? Because this is kind of ridiculous.
    Not really. To my ears, Discipline sounded rushed (under produced).

For better or worse, I feel like CBH sounds like someone agonized over the details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like the song, listened a million times... only gripe is that it has this "pre-packaged song" feel that Trent's been doing as of late. Just feels too shiny and comfortable. One of the things that drew me in as a fan was that I never knew where a song was going to go and the whole verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, etc. formula was eschewed for whatever felt right. Also, I feel like the vocals are way in the forefront which also just feels like the "new Trent" that I've been hoping would wear off.

Again, I like it and I know its the single –– I just hope the whole album doesn't feel like this.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    To my ears, Discipline sounded rushed (under produced).
    This was intentional