Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hopefully, or else ill get both to be safe.

I used to buy all formats of each halo including world releases but cant justify the money these days. I might get them in the future. The joys of being a NIN fan

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    It comes with "a" CD, so I assume that is only the main album and no hardbook. It will still probably come with a normal LP booklet though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Modern sound, I like the Downward Spiral motif at the end.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    Welcome to the new direction for NIN folks. It's fun, catchy, safe, and enjoyable for the whole family. Let's call it DIET NIN. More fluffy clouds, and a whole shit less of head-exploding. Bring out the unicorns and let them dance to this...me? I'm not.
    God forbid Trent does a song that's not soul-crushingly dark.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The lyrics ARE dark and they are fucking awesome. I love this track.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The thing is this isn't really sitting next to Discipline in spirit...for example of a "fun sounding" track. Tones are worlds different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Need more tracks ASAP, 3 months gonna take such a long time. I hope we get another single in July. about 50 listens into CBH.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    man, listened to it another 5 or so more times since finishing work and i like it way more with every listen. especially awesome having it on repeat while i play state of decay

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shapermusic View Post
    his lyrical genius
    .....I just need to quickly walk out of this thread now before my head explodes.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    What, Jinsai, you ain't no fan of the Treznor's po-a-try?

Anyway: OH MY FUCKING GOD HOW AWESOME IS THIS TRACK? It started out as 'meh, this is a repeat' and then it went 'Oh, but it's a quite catchy repeat' and then it was 'Oh wow, guitars' and then I was all out smiling at my computerscreen like an idiot. (Which I am.) Still: had it on repeat for the last half hour, and I'm going to dive right back in. Haven't been this thrilled about a new Trentmeister Track since My Violent Heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    What, Jinsai, you ain't no fan of the Treznor's po-a-try?

No. The rhyming thesauRez.

This really seems like a DS retread conceptually. So far. Pre-ordered anyway.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    It's so derivative though, how typical of Trent's post-Fragile work. Sounds just like a cross between Something I Can Never Have, Edward James Olmos' little-known early chamber music and the engine note of a Bugatti Atlantic.
    that was the best

I am *REALLY* curious to see how they play this live. The arrangement leaves a lot of room for this particular new lineup (synth heavy?) to interpret it.
    Last edited by screwdriver; 06-06-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Such an amazing feeling to have new music from NIN. I wasn't prepared for it at all. Fucking great song, has shades of previous NIN eras but sounds completely new too. Haven't felt this excited since Survivalism was released.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokononist View Post
    No. The rhyming thesauRez.

This really seems like a DS retread conceptually. So far. Pre-ordered anyway.
    Conceptually? Because Mills is doing the artwork? It's a pop song, the big lead single for a big rock album... of course there are rhyme-heavy lyrics. But there is no concept here, other than "I kicked drugs and I still feel really bad about those times". What the fuck are you talking about?

Listening to Zane Lowe today: he seemed let down that they didn't get the exclusive on the song, BUT Trent is doing an interview with him in 10 minutes.
    Last edited by botley; 06-06-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yeah I truly don't understand why everyone is throwing around TDS comparisons left and right, aside from the artwork. This sounds not even 10% like anything off of that album. Its a phenomenal track, no doubt, but early 90s era NIN, it is not. And it shouldn't be, honestly. The dude has a wife and 2 kids. He doesn't need to be screaming his head off about how much he hates life, because he has no reason to.

And personally, the lyrics to this don't even feel like TDS stuff to me. It just feels like he's singing about killing off and reviving NIN so quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about?
    Pop culture reference. Joke.

Anyway, I feel pretty safe saying suicide has a spot on both albums. Conceptually, It's obviously meant to draw lines to TDS with the artwork and motif, or intentionally misdirect. Who can deny that?
    Last edited by Bokononist; 06-06-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It's the soundscape that has me hearing days of the old though...the tone, too... Kinda hard to explain. Lyrics and concept aside, because nobody really knows yet, the music is really regaining him some points in my book. I hope there's only more fresh sounds to go with this!

I mostly like this now, after 20+ listens since last night, the very first one while I was flying kites. That was cool.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Pop culture reference.
    Which is...?

Anyway, I feel pretty safe saying suicide has a spot on both albums.
    You haven't heard both albums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I get The Knife-ish vibes from the production of CBH (see: Their new album ["Full Of Fire" especially]). That being said, I like Dreijers vocals (and lyrics, fwiw) more.

CBH is an OK song. Let's wait and see, what else he's got up his sleeve.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This song is layered with a variety of musical qualities and semblances to previous NIN albums, but it is its own sound that will fit into an even bigger picture. I'm quite curious to know where in the track list CBH falls, because lyrically I'm thinking that it could pose as the peak of a story arc. That being said, those who may not like the style of this particular song shouldn't disregard the entire album before it's even released; the songs preceding and following CBH may be more palatable for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's the 3rd track

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like it. It's got a beat that you can dance to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Reminds me a lot of into the void for some reason.... people are saying it reminds them of PHM or TDS, but it reminds me of The Fragile. Not that that's a bad thing.

Good song, but I hope there is some crunchier, heavier, stuff on here as well though!!

Edit: And for some reason the $8 charge to ship a CD with the pre-order struck a nerve with me. Trent went from one extreme to the other here. Must have discovered how expensive Diapers are!! I hate to pay $20 or $28 bucks for this when I will get it at Amazon or Best buy for $11.99 or $9.99 in the near future. Lets not forget TR is a Millionaire. Not some starving artist.
    Last edited by trezdustrial; 06-06-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Now heard 5-6 times, and the it defo gets the thumbs up. Personally reminds me of THTF...

Nice to have you back doing what you do best Trent!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    The synth after the first chorus and into the second verse is definitely my favorite part of the song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love at about 4:05 where it drops to the whispery Hau Hau haunted part and keeps building. Although I wish at around 4:50 after it had been building that it would have exploded into something rather than just repeating to the end.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Given some time to let it sit, my reaction to this track is no longer as hostile as it was initially.

Still, I can't say im thrilled about it.

Remember when With Teeth came out? The pop sensibilities of The Hand That Feeds and Only, etc. Were welcomed as kind of a novelty. That vibe felt fresh because it seemed like an unlikrly turn for Trent. But in now, when post-fragile era NIN represents more than half of his body of work, this club-fodder has become the norm and the novelty is more than worn off.

I think it kind of worked as tongue in cheek on Only, and didnt age well on THTF and when the Slip came out some of us grew to resent it on tracks like "Discipline." Because if your sarcastic about something for long enough you start to become that thing a little bit.

That said this a 14 track album and Im sure ill end up liking most of it, but this track i somewhat disappointing. We keep seeing Trent flip flop between this pop/club track space, and an edgier more experimental space like with Ghosts and some earlier work and Im wondering if this is a balancing act he can maintain...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

I never listen to survivalism anymore, so I think I'll park this now, 5 listens later, until the next surprise.

Managed to miss the radio 1 tr interview, fiancé walked in *just* at the wrong time.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    How the fuck do I have a play count of 74.
    Time to give it a break and come back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If this song is any indication of how the whole album sounds, I think I'll call it THE UPSIDEDOWNARD SPIRAL.