Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Perhaps, but why throw the 'blame' on Atticus when Alan Moulder has worked with him for just as long? Come to think of it, Trent Reznor's worked with Nine Inch Nails since 1988. That's 25 years. Surely it's time for him to pass the mantle over to someone else. Wouldn't want it to become stale.

At this point, we could have 'waved goodbye' to NIN several times over, but we haven't, and that's because Trent obviously enjoys writing new music [and also has a family to take care of now]. If it's becoming same-y, it's because he's carved a niche for himself that he's happy working within. If he wasn't happy working, there would be no more NIN. Most importantly, he's built a team of friends and colleagues that can operate within that niche, and as such, those names will crop up again and again, from Atticus Ross to Leo Herrera. That doesn't mean they're to 'blame' for what Trent decides *is* NIN.

I'm amazed he's decided to go back on stage and belt out Closer and Head Like A Hole just like the old days. After The Slip, that could have been it, and we would have had HTDA and soundtrack work until the end of days. But that isn't the case. NIN is back. The new material is awesome. We're in for a hell of a ride in the next month.
    I think you misunderstood (and threw a lot of crap out that had nothing to do with the initial opinion) since I understand what was meant let me explain it, and don't put 3 paragraphs worth of words into my mouth after I say it. Mixing and production have a lot to do with the sound of the album, and I share the sentiment that a small part of me would like to see people in those roles other than Atticus Ross and Alan Moulder. Don't get me wrong, I love both of them, 12 Rounds, and Atticus Ross' soundtracks are all amazing in their own right. Alan Moulder's work for The Jesus and Mary Chain is some of my favorite production work of all time. You're also right that TR can do whatever he wants obviously (which is why before now I've only ever thought it without saying it) I think earlier in TR's career he made a point to pick producers who "fit" what he was going for with an album Flood for TDS, PHM.... and Dave Ogilvie on The Fragile. I personally think Flood was always the best fit for NIN, and its totally within my ability as a human to have that opinion without implying that I wish Trent Reznor would leave Nine Inch Nails. That was a douchy response to a legitimate opinion and you know it.

Anyways my rant brings up an interesting point, since he went all Russel Mills with the artwork (Rob Sheridan has obviously done the last few albums) it would have been cool if he had brought Flood back as well. I wonder if TR still has any kind of relationship with Flood...

*edit also I would like to state that I (kind of in an implied way) think you were right in a way that Alan Moulder should have been added to that discussion as well, especially since he is the producer and probably has a lot more to do with the sound than Atticus. (I say probably because who knows how big Atticus' roll in the studio actually is these days)
    Last edited by brokenfragility; 08-05-2013 at 03:19 AM.