Page 42 of 224 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 142 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 6710

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Not worried about the live shows spoiling the fun as there's usually some degree of variation between live and studio versions.
    Not trying to ruin it for you (as you seem well prepared for the consequences), but, those exact variations you speak of are usually the reasons that can spoil the first studio listen, as they might lack your favorite elements from the live version. An analogy might be to imagine online dating someone and getting a bunch of great photos before the date, and then being disappointed by the real deal, no matter how cute the person might be. It's not the end of the world I know, and it might even be a little silly. But for me the first listen of an album is such a precious thing that I'll go thirsty and starve myself from spoilers until the thing gets released... in any way and in full clarity.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    While I've heard everything from the new album that's been played live, I'm swearing off all of it until the leak (including CBH). I will however listen to any new new songs performed from here on out, at least a few times, same treatment as the others. ;0) I can't stop me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've watched both streams a few times and I don't think it's spoiling anything. While I know where @hobochic is coming from, I think this won't be a problem. Once the album comes out I'll be listening to it non-stop, so even if some parts are different on the album, I'll get used to the album version rather quickly. Also, it's not like we're listening to a leak that we're not meant to hear yet. If Trent didn't want us to hear the new stuff, he wouldn't play it live or not allow live streams.

The hesitation mark has been made. But hey, everyone's different. Maybe there's even people out there who haven't listened to CBH yet because they don't want to spoil any song before hearing the full album, who knows. All I know is that a few months back nobody would have guessed Trent has already finished a new album and was going on tour, and now, after 4 years of nothing (HTDA and scoring excluded) we have a new single, video, artwork, tour and album coming up. Fun times.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    All I know is that a few months back nobody would have guessed Trent has already finished a new album and was going on tour, and now, after 4 years of nothing (HTDA and scoring excluded) we have a new single, video, artwork, tour and album coming up. Fun times.
    Believe me, I wish I was enjoying the new material right now, and probably would have if I hadn't been on vacation with limited internet access from a hotel lobby for the last three weeks. I'm now back to reality and don't feel the pressure to listen to the new tracks that much for the reasons I explained before, I don't really care if Trent intends the music to be heard live before or not, the first album experience is my own. I'm loving the wait with plenty of other new music. September will get me back on track with NIN, until then, enjoy the new material!

/Envious Bastard XOXO

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Absolutely, if you can hold off, do it...as much as possible. I just can't. I'm kinda envious of those who can. Kinda not. It's alright...because the music so far surpasses "alright" completely.

Like it was said (as I can relate)--once the album is out (formally or leaked), the rotation and intensive listening that will go down will probably be immense, for everybody who's a fan... How you were exposed to it, in pieces so far in my case--all that will eventually wash aside, pretty much.

Again, though, nothing is like a pure first listen. I couldn't deny that.

Talking this much does me bad...like I wanna break my further abstaining rule already. Shit...
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-06-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's crazy to think but the last Nine Inch Nails release I had no idea of what I was going to expect before hand, meaning I hadn't previously heard a leaked copy, was probably And All That Could Have Been in 2002...and these were already songs I was familiar with.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

In this spirit, I don't know how/why I've been coming here so much the past few weeks—all it takes is someone saying that one thing that sticks about one of the new songs and, bang, that thought comes with every listen from there on out.

Some idiot advance reviewer said that, lyrically, "The Good Soldier" was basically a redux of "Closer," which I think of every single time I hear "Vessel," because I think that's the track he really meant to mention. Someone here pointed out the "Simpsons" theme-like refrain in "I Ghosts 6" before I heard it, and now I think of THAT every time I hear it. Whenever I hear "Discipline," I remember someone here bitching about how it was shitty because "I guess the formula for post-'Fragile' NIN is just drum loops and then you throw in some little piano bits at the end"—and I actually rather LIKE "Discipline." And so on.

When it finally leaks, I'm going to have to NOT come here for like a week, so I can build my own untwined opinions before hearing everyone else explain why "Everything" or "Black Noise" is the dumbest thing they've ever heard.

When Radiohead's "King of Limbs" came out, I went into full-on media blackout mode for a week, 'til I'd given it 20+ listens on my own, so no one's opinion would override my own.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    When it finally leaks, I'm going to have to NOT come here for like a week, so I can build my own untwined opinions before hearing everyone else explain why "Everything" or "Black Noise" is the dumbest thing they've ever heard.

When Radiohead's "King of Limbs" came out, I went into full-on media blackout mode for a week, 'til I'd given it 20+ listens on my own, so no one's opinion would override my own.
    We are pattern building machines. The first time I listened to Radiohead's "In Rainbows" is shortly after I'd been diagnosed with cancer (and before they'd operated and discovered the extent of it). For me, "Videotape" is the most depressing song ever written. I can't hear it without all of those feelings from that first listen intertwined.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I'm skipping the new tracks when I listen to the current boots: not because I don't want to spoil the album, but because they aren't grabbing me as much as the newly arranged old stuff.(In particular terrible lie which I can't get out of my head). As much as its refreshing to hear a new sanctified, I honestly prefer the original. I'm still when I'm going to first hear this new album and how that will impact my impression of it. I might be on honeymoon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by broevol View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in the last 41 pages or so. Do you think the new re-work of Sanctified is one of the "remixes" as mentioned in the track listing for the deluxe version of HM?
    Unlikely, but I've been thinking about something. How neat would an EP featuring a handful of rearranged/re-recorded, primarily non-singles PHM tracks be? As in, like: Sanctified, Kinda I Want To, That's What I Get, Only Time, Ringfinger. All 2013'd. But I guess fuck you, Steve.

Also, fuck me, I'll be getting my HesMa on the 30th already. Been kinda out of the loop lately (bar watching every bit of live material possible), so is this the set Euro release date? Only three weeks and two days. Friday, skip school with my girl, take the bus downtown, storm the record store, take the clerk by his throat and scream WHERE IS IT.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Had a dream last night that Everything was the next single off of HM. I think that means I'm excited or need to get the hell off these boards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrăo View Post
    Like it was said (as I can relate)--once the album is out (formally or leaked), the rotation and intensive listening that will go down will probably be immense, for everybody who's a fan... How you were exposed to it, in pieces so far in my case--all that will eventually wash aside, pretty much.

Again, though, nothing is like a pure first listen. I couldn't deny that.
    This makes me think of Depeche Mode's Sounds of the Universe. I adored that album and before its complete leak, some of the tracks had leaked, but in demo form. So in the end, on my first listen through, even the songs I had already heard were different. Let me add that when I heard the album opener "In Chains" I got chills on my first listen, it hit a string for me, and I was excited from then on and I still adore that album.

I think some artists should concider this...I mean leaking demos and then surprising everyone with which direction you took the songs in with the final album versions. I thought it was great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First listens for me don't really count because the novelty of something new and shiny and different (especially after a lengthy gap) can prevent me from objectively forming an opinion about it. There are albums and songs that I absolutely HATED upon first listen, but after letting it soak in for a bit and listening to it
    a few more times I changed my mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Oslin View Post
    Had a dream last night that Everything was the next single off of HM. I think that means I'm excited or need to get the hell off these boards.
    Prop a combination of both.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is it just me or these new songs that have been played live do not sound that minimalistic? are these just the live versions or does it it sound like this on the record?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by broevol View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in the last 41 pages or so. Do you think the new re-work of Sanctified is one of the "remixes" as mentioned in the track listing for the deluxe version of HM?
    Just checked on iTunes, it looks like you have your answer:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Just checked on iTunes, it looks like you have your answer:
    Oh shit! OPN! Can't wait to hear that remix...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm really interested in hearing black noise, as well as the rest of the album, obviously. But hearing that title makes me think of the end of hurt, and since HM is inspired lyrically and thematically by TDS... You know, I should just stop before I'm embarrassed by this post a month from now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    TODD RUNDGREN?

Gen p-orridge?

fuck me.

Also, I think that art at the top of the page is new as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I want this thang. I wonder if I can pay for it with a Chinese bank account, as I'm currently living in China.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    As soon as I saw the Todd Rundgren remix, I could tell it was a fake.

Then I went to iTunes myself to see if the real listing was up.....

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    So, after mulling over the pre-release for quite a few days, and seeing todays NIN hotline update about the track listing for the remix album I decided now was as good as time as ever to pre-order the album... until I went to the nin.com store and they were asking for $12.99 to ship a CD by standard postage... really?? $13 to ship a CD to Canada? That seems steep. I can ship a CD to the USA for $5...

I emptied my shopping card after that... I wonder, will the deluxe CD readily be available in store on Tuesday Sept 3rd, or is it a NIN.com exclusive??

Part of me thinks I should be ordering the CD directly through nin.com to support the band directly, and not buy it from a massive retail CD chain, but for that gauging on shipping, it's almost worth it to just hold off til release date to buy a physical copy in the store.

EDIT: I just answered my own question... HMV will have the Deluxe CD for purchase on September 3rd for $25 canadian. So it's cheaper for me to buy it locally.
    http://www.hmv.ca/Products/Detail/712891.aspx
    Now the question is, how many copies will my local store actually get... hmm...
    Last edited by ManBurning; 08-08-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    So, after mulling over the pre-release for quite a few days, and seeing todays NIN hotline update about the track listing for the remix album I decided now was as good as time as ever to pre-order the album... until I went to the nin.com store and they were asking for $12.99 to ship a CD by standard postage... really?? $13 to ship a CD to Canada? That seems steep. I can ship a CD to the USA for $5...

I emptied my shopping card after that... I wonder, will the deluxe CD readily be available in store on Tuesday Sept 3rd, or is it a NIN.com exclusive??

Part of me thinks I should be ordering the CD directly through nin.com to support the band directly, and not buy it from a massive retail CD chain, but for that gauging on shipping, it's almost worth it to just hold off til release date to buy a physical copy in the store.

EDIT: I just answered my own question... HMV will have the Deluxe CD for purchase on September 3rd for $25 canadian. So it's cheaper for me to buy it locally.
    http://www.hmv.ca/Products/Detail/712891.aspx
    Now the question is, how many copies will my local store actually get... hmm...
    I'm not worried about buying locally as much as getting the best deal and I got the deluxe edition through Amazon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    Is it just me or these new songs that have been played live do not sound that minimalistic? are these just the live versions or does it it sound like this on the record?
    Yeah, I wonder what he means by minimalistic, because to me, what we've heard so far sure isn't. I don't mind though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a feeling that minimalism really translates to "shut the fuck up. This isn't going to be broken, TDS, or fragile. It's been over a decade, so stop expecting that. Also stop commenting on the band's Facebook updates that I should go shoot heroin and make harder music."

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    So official remix names and times -

15. "Find My Way (Oneohtrix Point Never Remix)" 4:47
    16. "All Time Low (Todd Rundgren Remix)" 5:49
    17. "While I'm Still Here (Breyer P-Orridge 'Howler' Remix)" 7:03

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

P-orridge mix could be interesting. He just needs some carter-tutti mixes to complete the set now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    anybody else feels the photobook is the main attraction factor for "deluxe version", rather than remixes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    order both versions, should i go for the vinyl?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm too stunned and stoked to know what to say... P-Orridge?

Brilliant! This means that the Award for Weirdest NIN Remix will from now on go to Genesis. Sorry Dreijer!