Page 234 of 241 FirstFirst ... 134 184 224 232 233 234 235 236 ... LastLast
Results 6,991 to 7,020 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I think the "loudness war" is largely overhyped fluff to sell magazines and give bloggers something to complain about. there's legitimate points but I think it's lost on most listeners.

I feel I've undone my own point here. I have no reference if the MASTERING on Everything is excessive. I think the song itself was composed using hyper compressed instrumentation and it sounds painful to me.
    I think people are just confusing thierselves. NIN songs are made from many tracks. If you were to amp each of those tracks to an equal level you would have a mess. The frequency range difference between the tracks plays a huge role in a NIN song. Why Trent would even make a audiophile mastered version really doesn't make much since, and that is why there is very little difference between the two.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Take from this what you will, but here's the entries from the Dynamic Range Database. The entries with the "i" icon next to them have values for each track. These are just rough estimates, as the numbers are taken from compressed tracks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Take from this what you will, but here's the entries from the Dynamic Range Database. The entries with the "i" icon next to them have values for each track. These are just rough estimates, as the numbers are taken from compressed tracks.
    According to that PHM is the only album with good DR.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seed_0 View Post
    According to that PHM is the only album with good DR.
    right, because it was originally mastered in 1989, before things started to get too bad.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    is nin really the type of music you want to have classical music-type "audiophile" dynamics? it's a wall of sound. i wouldn't want the original motown singles to sound any other way than those hot mono mixes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    is nin really the type of music you want to have classical music-type "audiophile" dynamics? it's a wall of sound. i wouldn't want the original motown singles to sound any other way than those hot mono mixes.
    A good DR just means a great frequency peaks in the multi-tracks of the audio without clipping. Apparently the digital elements being used in the music are lacking in DR. Has anybody tested the DR of the NIN multi-tracks?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    right, because it was originally mastered in 1989, before things started to get too bad.
    dude, my favorite records have been made since 1989. things aren't "bad." some things sound good, some things don't.
    https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep...s/loudness.htm

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    A good DR just means a great frequency peaks in the multi-tracks of the audio without clipping. Apparently the digital elements being used in the music are lacking in DR. Has anybody tested the DR of the NIN multi-tracks?
    dynamic range is the difference between the quietest and loudest signal. you could have a song with a dr of 1db and it could never clip, or a 10dr and clipping at every loud part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    dynamic range is the difference between the quietest and loudest signal. you could have a song with a dr of 1db and it could never clip, or a 10dr and clipping at every loud part.
    Yes, I understand the that clipping is not part of the DR. I am talking about the quality. Ideally you do not want the clipping, and the mastering of songs has become more interested in amping the frequency resulting in more clipping and less DR.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    tracklist for next nin album

1 getting noisier
    2 i'm distorted
    3 brickwalling myself
    4 loudness is a warzone
    5 push it to the limit
    6 skin of your eardrum
    7 graphic presentation
    8 meters in the red
    9 levels of pain
    10 bridge (quiet)
    11 waveformation
    12 ping clip
    13 zero crossings
    14 equal eyes
    15 minus 32767

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    5 push it to the limit
    A cover of the Scarface song? Awesome! :-D

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    dude, my favorite records have been made since 1989. things aren't "bad." some things sound good, some things don't.
    https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep...s/loudness.htm
    sorry, i was being REALLY sarcastic haha. i often forget that it doesn't come through in text posts on the internet. i just thought seed_0's "revelation" that PHM was the only album with a good DR was a funny statement.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    tracklist for next nin album

1 getting noisier
    2 i'm distorted
    3 brickwalling myself
    4 loudness is a warzone
    5 push it to the limit
    6 skin of your eardrum
    7 graphic presentation
    8 meters in the red
    9 levels of pain
    10 bridge (quiet)
    11 waveformation
    12 ping clip
    13 zero crossings
    14 equal eyes
    15 minus 32767
    2/10 needs more Apple references

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    sorry, i was being REALLY sarcastic haha. i often forget that it doesn't come through in text posts on the internet. i just thought seed_0's "revelation" that PHM was the only album with a good DR was a funny statement.
    It was not a revelation. The point being was that NIN songs have not relied on having a vast DR.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yes, I understand the that clipping is not part of the DR. I am talking about the quality. Ideally you do not want the clipping, and the mastering of songs has become more interested in amping the frequency resulting in more clipping and less DR.
    What do you mean by "amping the frequency"? (I don't have an opinion to add to the thread. Just trying to follow the discussion.)

EDIT: Random geek thought. Just realized that every time I see "DR", I think "damage reduction" and have to internally correct myself.
    Last edited by m15a; 02-12-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    2/10 needs more Apple references
    Manson already wrote Apple of Sodom, sorry!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    skin of your eardrum, haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    What do you mean by "amping the frequency"? (I don't have an opinion to add to the thread. Just trying to follow the discussion.)

EDIT: Random geek thought. Just realized that every time I see "DR", I think "damage reduction" and have to internally correct myself.
    Watch the video on post #7004

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Watch the video on post #7004
    I just got around to re-wartching that video. I didn't hear the phrase "amping the frequency", can you point to it or just tell me what you mean? I'm guessing you're just talking about limiting or compression (or filtering?), but I wanted to check if there was some mixing/mastering concept or terminology I am not familiar with. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just got around to re-wartching that video. I didn't hear the phrase "amping the frequency", can you point to it or just tell me what you mean? I'm guessing you're just talking about limiting or compression (or filtering?), but I wanted to check if there was some mixing/mastering concept or terminology I am not familiar with. Thanks.
    You lost me. You don't understand amplification?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    You're not missing anything. Seed_0 has a very inaccurate way of typing about these matters. Reading all his posts about the DR issue, it becomes quite clear there are many jumbled terms and not a lot of understanding happening in there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    You lost me. You don't understand amplification?
    Uh, don't worry about it. I think I get what you meant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    You're not missing anything. Seed_0 has a very inaccurate way of typing about these matters. Reading all his posts about the DR issue, it becomes quite clear there are many jumbled terms and not a lot of understanding happening in there.
    Once again for those that fail to understand. Just about all of NIN's releases have not had an over all great DR. While DR can be considered an aspect of quality, it has not hindered the popularity of NIN's songs. A great DR was not required to find enjoyment in them. I feel that any unwanted distortion caused by clipping is much worse than a lack of high DR. Columbia is more than likely responsible for the squashed HM. If you look at Ghosts and TS they were not as bad as that.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Came here just to say that I adore this album, I've bought it several times without any regrets, each listen is a journey, love it to pieces, after all those years it held up really amazingly and I love every track this album has to offer, I love its connections to The Downward Spiral, it can be easily be listened to as a sequel to it (I wrote analysis looking at it from that point of view not so long time ago). It's just an amazing experience and it was very different take on NIN.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Re-listening through Hesitation Marks for the first time after letting it sit for a while, using headphones. Picking up on a lot of sounds I never caught before, and really enjoying everything more than I had before.
    Honestly, I have never listened to ANYTHING that Trent has done and not grown to enjoy it more and more years later. As much as there have been songs that were "love at first listen", everything he puts out grows on me with time.

All in all, I think this album gets more hate than it should. I think too many people go straight to comparing albums instead of just liking them for what they are. Nothing will ever live up to what NIN fans feel about The Downward Spiral or The Fragile. But we shouldn't let that keep us from loving what is a really god damn good album.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I'm telling you guys, Hez Marks is the best Massive Attack album since Mezzanine..

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    For a fair few months after it was released I was calling this my third favorite album right under TDS and TF.

Opinions change. I don't hate it, but I'd say I don't think quite as highly of it as I once did - it's somewhere in the lower middle for me now. Live drums could have helped a ton. NTAE is several orders of magnitude better.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I'm telling you guys, Hez Marks is the best Massive Attack album since Mezzanine..
    Funny, i said the same thing about "Welcome Oblivion" by HTDA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like the album, but I don't think a lot of the songs translated well live...especially in big outdoor arenas. Weird to say, but it's a pretty "quiet" album...much like "Welcome Oblivion." With headphones, they sound really cool. In the car or at a show...they lose details.

Hearing NTAE for the first time made me VERY happy he was shifting out of that phase!!