Page 233 of 241 FirstFirst ... 133 183 223 231 232 233 234 235 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,990 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    with amen-ah...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    re-exploring the album after a few months of silence and some moments gave me chills:
    -The first chorus of Came Back Haunted (when not overplayed, this song is really amazing)
    -The first verse of Find My Way (the mood the instrumental sets is so beautiful)
    -The string part of Disappointed (still my favorite live show memory when the 3d cube revolves around the band)
    -The "I am free" line in Everything
    -The instrumental build-up with the "I know you're up there, somewhere" part of Satellite
    -VARIOUS METHODS OF ESCAPE (where to start here?) The high-pitched synths on the right channel, the chorus (!!!), "I think I could lose myself in here", the fucking ending. It also feels like there was a concept here, for the verses, of something bigger that's been broken down (the broken machine concept) which still comes through during the choruses.
    -The sucked guitar pads during the choruses of I Would For You and the piano at the end.
    -the transition from I Would For You to In Two
    -The intro build-up of In Two. Also, this song makes me want to crank up the volume every time it comes up. The second chorus into the "I just don't know anymore" part which is one of the most beautiful musical moments of the album. The build-up at the end!!
    -Black Noise

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I think I've listened to Running less than 10 times. Really don't like that song.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think I've listened to Running less than 10 times. Really don't like that song.
    I agree, only song I skip on the album

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    'Everything' gets shit because it was a single- or was intended to be released as one, but Running is easily the shittiest song on HM.

Cool visuals during Tension though.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I agree, only song I skip on the album
    I'll fess up too, I skip that most times. CBH probably the only other one I'll even consider skipping...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    'Everything' gets shit because it was a single- or was intended to be released as one, but Running is easily the shittiest song on HM.

Cool visuals during Tension though.
    The kind of background vocals where Trent is chanting 'running out' out of breath endlessly, just really annoys me somehow, I can't listen to it

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    The kind of background vocals where Trent is chanting 'running out' out of breath endlessly, just really annoys me somehow, I can't listen to it
    It's funny that you mention that because I actually caught myself changing the song at that part. It just became a regular habit at some point that it's as if I didn't realize it at all. I also don't mind it that much though, but I tend to skip that part sometimes.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    It sounds like he's working up an orgasm.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    i love "everything".
    that is all.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It sounds like he's working up an orgasm.
    what?? i thought *this* was him working up an orgasm:

lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have learned to tolerate "Everything". I like "Running". I have loved "Copy of A" ever since I first heard it live at Lollapalooza 2013.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    i love "everything".
    that is all.
    Everything is still one of my most favorite songs from Hesitation Marks, right next to Copy Of A.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seed_0 View Post
    I have learned to tolerate "Everything". I like "Running". I have loved "Copy of A" ever since I first heard it live at Lollapalooza 2013.
    I skip "Everything" every time. It has very little to do with the song and more with the production -- I'm not normally one to mind this stuff, but it just feels brickwalled to a painful degree to listen to.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Everything is still one of my most favorite songs from Hesitation Marks, right next to Copy Of A.
    most of my first listens are in my car...so i am trucking along and everything starts...and i howled. i was laughing so hard i almost crashed. eyes popped open, mouth hanging slack "wtf is THIS????"...half way through the song: what. a. sarcastic. bitch. this. man. is. and i am still laughing in delight and awe. by the end of the song i was feeling a wee bit sad...there was this flavour of bravado or almost convincing to the lyrics..like the person is trying to believe this, you know? it didn't de rail the humourous tone. now i see it as somewhat tongue in cheek, but that little touch of sadness remains. this is up there with purest feeling for fave nin songs that are so not nin.
    i also cannot get sick of 'copy of a'. i have tried, i am sure my disc is getting annoyed with me...but it sounds as fucking epic on listen number five million as it did for listen number one.
    and my 8 year old loves it, too. he was singing it in the car tonight!
    oh, and i pointed out that in "eater of dreams" he yells "i ain't going back...i ain't going back' and the kid was so excited! he yells "i can hear it, mom. i hear it". lol. good times in the car.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I skip "Everything" every time. It has very little to do with the song and more with the production -- I'm not normally one to mind this stuff, but it just feels brickwalled to a painful degree to listen to.
    what do you mean by "brickwalled" in terms of the sound? i don't understand the term. thank you...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    what do you mean by "brickwalled" in terms of the sound? i don't understand the term. thank you...
    http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/0...ed-on-youtube/

again, I normally think the whole loudness war thing is a bunch of bullshit; in this particular case, I think they deliberately pushed the song to be uncomfortable

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

again, I normally think the whole loudness war thing is a bunch of bullshit; in this particular case, I think they deliberately pushed the song to be uncomfortable
    thank you very much! that was neat. and i am inclined to agree with you on the deliberate use in the song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who is they? What is uncomfortable about the song (Other than Trent's singing)? Musically it kind of reminds me of the With Teeth era in some ways.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seed_0 View Post
    Who is they? What is uncomfortable about the song (Other than Trent's singing)? Musically it kind of reminds me of the With Teeth era in some ways.
    musically its fine

I just find the actual aural recording to be very harsh. could just be me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    musically its fine

I just find the actual aural recording to be very harsh. could just be me.
    No, I also find it almost painful. And it' super annoying on a mixtape I made with other music, because it's so much louder than the previous songs.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwarzerAbt View Post
    No, I also find it almost painful. And it' super annoying on a mixtape I made with other music, because it's so much louder than the previous songs.
    It's not made to be on a mixtape, it's made to be on the album

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Yes, that's true. It' my fault to put it there. :-D

Still, loudness/brickwalling is real and this to me the NIN song where it is most obvious.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Still, loudness/brickwalling is real and this to me the NIN song where it is most obvious.
    it's obvious to me that it was stylistic and purposeful. just not to my taste. life goes on. normally I don't give a shit. I like Death Magnetic. Just for whatever reason, it's painful to listen to here.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I think the Audiophile version is more tolerable to listen to even though it's still brickwalled. It's the eqing that helps. And the painfully obvious clipping on Everything on that version isn't so obvious anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I think the Audiophile version is more tolerable to listen to even though it's still brickwalled. It's the eqing that helps. And the painfully obvious clipping on Everything on that version isn't so obvious anymore.
    I seen that when it came out.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...type=3&theater

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Yes, that's true. It' my fault to put it there. :-D

that's why i always loved making actual mixTAPES. i have a yamaha cassette deck that allows you to set the record level, so i would level-match things before i dubbed them onto the tape, thus ensuring a smooth listen.

i guess i've never had hesitation marks up loud enough to be bothered by the excessive compression in "everything", but maybe i've just grown cynical after years of loudness wars bullshit.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    just absolutely destroys music... wish this practice would stop. I wish radio stations and streaming services would have their own compensatory technologies to jack up all the sounds if they want to. Let people who buy it or stream choose whether to listen to the compressed version or not. I know this will not happen. I just hope that artists realize what shit this causes to their music.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    just absolutely destroys music... wish this practice would stop. I wish radio stations and streaming services would have their own compensatory technologies to jack up all the sounds if they want to. Let people who buy it or stream choose whether to listen to the compressed version or not. I know this will not happen. I just hope that artists realize what shit this causes to their music.
    The guy who did the video does make a point though that we have no idea how loud the album was recorded. And I'll be honest and say that I really don't care if an artist like Trent Reznor, whose music is usually loud and abrasive, has digital compression on his music. I don't think I ever want to hear a dynamic version of The Downward Spiral, Year Zero or Broken. And I think Trent might be more aware of the mastering of his music than most artists. With most artists, the quiet sections of their songs would be brickwalled along with the loud parts. With Trent's music, the quiet parts are never brickwalled. Only the loud parts.

I will say though, I'm not always okay with compression. Iggy Pop's remix of Raw Power is too far. At least the vinyl sounds nice.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 02-11-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    that's why i always loved making actual mixTAPES. i have a yamaha cassette deck that allows you to set the record level, so i would level-match things before i dubbed them onto the tape, thus ensuring a smooth listen.

i guess i've never had hesitation marks up loud enough to be bothered by the excessive compression in "everything", but maybe i've just grown cynical after years of loudness wars bullshit.
    I think the "loudness war" is largely overhyped fluff to sell magazines and give bloggers something to complain about. there's legitimate points but I think it's lost on most listeners.

I feel I've undone my own point here. I have no reference if the MASTERING on Everything is excessive. I think the song itself was composed using hyper compressed instrumentation and it sounds painful to me.