Page 236 of 237 FirstFirst ... 136 186 226 234 235 236 237 LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,080 of 7101

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ no u

They were. You literally had your choice between all of those.
    So do you know where I can get them now?

Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    So do you know where I can get them now?
    On the aforementioned tracker, or private ones. Not going to directly link here as it's against the rules.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    4 years later and this record is still horrible. I’m thankful the EPs more than made up for it.
    No album that contains songs like "All Time Low," "Satellite," "I Would for You," "In Two," and (my personal favorite) "Various Methods of Escape" should be called "horrible," but yeah, taken as a whole, the EPs are on a whole other level and we don't even have the third one yet. I wish NIN would make more than one music video per album these day too, because I never liked the Came Back Haunted music video. It's been over a decade since we've had a great video from NIN. The closest thing was HTDA's video for The Space In Between.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    4 years later and this album still kicks ass to me. It feels raw and very honest, I still catch new textures and sounds with repeated listens. Hesitations Marks also had to happen for these EPs to happen
    Last edited by HWB; 11-09-2017 at 06:29 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    4 years later and I'm much more lukewarm to the album than I was when it came out, when I was convinced it ranked only below TDS and TF (yeah, no). Now I look at it as 3/4 good and 1/4 rather underwhelming, a record that just falls apart midway through and recovers well enough, where most songs are vastly better live. I'll agree that NTAE and AV blow it right the hell out of the water.

Sucker for Lynch though so the CBH video was right up my alley.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    4 years later and I'm much more lukewarm to the album than I was when it came out, when I was convinced it ranked only below TDS and TF (yeah, no). Now I look at it as 3/4 good and 1/4 rather underwhelming, a record that just falls apart midway through and recovers well enough, where most songs are vastly better live. I'll agree that NTAE and AV blow it right the hell out of the water.

Sucker for Lynch though so the CBH video was right up my alley.
    I feel like the album becomes much stronger after Everything, then again, almost all NIN albums are better in their second halfs, this goes for all EPs too. It seems like Trent always saves up the more interesting songs later on the album.

Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    ^ Even the soundtrack albums follow that pattern; all the best stuff on Dragon Tattoo is hidden in the back third of the record.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ Even the soundtrack albums follow that pattern; all the best stuff on Dragon Tattoo is hidden in the back third of the record.
    It's also worth noting that the first halfs also mostly tend to have singles. (Hurt and Sin being the only expectations I can think of)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I still really enjoy the album, but between the new score material and EPs, I haven't been playing anything from it as much. That's pretty much going to happen to any album after four years though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think when it came out I was just happy to have new NIN as I wasn’t feeling the Welcome Oblivion album as much as I’d hoped after that first great HTDA ep. 4 years later, I don’t hate HM, but it’s definitely towards the bottom of my list of TR’s albums. I get that he was trying new stuff, I loved the Russell Mills artwork, and I like a handful of songs on there…but overall it’s missing an “energy” that all other NIN albums have, IMO. Other than Copy of A, I didn’t even like the live versions of the HM songs so I was very apprehensive when NTAE was announced...for fear that it would be more of the same. Fortunately, Branches/Bones blew me away from the get-go and that short song has more energy than all of HM combined!! NTAE and AV have REALLY got me excited again and the live versions of the new songs sound great!!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I listened to this album while driving last week..I noticed myself spacing out and not really paying attention to the lyrics. I don't want to say I don't think it aged well, but NTAE/AV are really spectacular.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I still love Hesitation Marks. In fact, I've been surprised by how much I like it after a long periods of not listening to it. It's not my favorite album but I believe it has it's important place.
    Keep in mind, some of you are saying that you loved it when it first came out but now that it's no longer new it feels worn, especially compared to NTAE and AV. Well, NTAE and AV are still new. I'm not saying the EP twins aren't better but we are still in the honeymoon phase with those two.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Not The Actual Events is very close to being one year old. I think honey moon for that EP's over, it seems like appreciation for that EP is growing over time thanks to its inaccessible nature. I expect the same for Add Violence.
    Last edited by HWB; 11-10-2017 at 02:33 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Hez Marks is amazing. It took a lot of guts for him to release such a minimal and experimental collection of songs (by NIN standards). It's all over the place sound-wise, but goes down so well thematically and atmospherically.

The new EPs are good but lack the focus and cohesiveness of Hez Marks. I know, that's part of their charm, kind of like The Slip, which both EPs tend to resemble. Granted, songs like Less Than, She's Gone Away and The Idea of You are modern day NIN classics, no question. But then there's tracks like Burning Bright, The Background World and The Lovers which sound like they were composed over a lunch break. Not Anymore is a complete throwaway and doesn't warrant the lavish praise I've seen it receiving since AV's release.

But Hez Marks is a winner from start to finish. All Time Low, Satellite, Various Methods of Escape, Copy of A, Came Back Haunted, Find My Way, While I'm Still Here...it's just one burner after another after another. And it doesn't sound like anything else he's ever done, while still being positively NIN at the same time..

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Hez Marks is amazing. It took a lot of guts for him to release such a minimal and experimental collection of songs (by NIN standards). It's all over the place sound-wise, but goes down so well thematically and atmospherically.

The new EPs are good but lack the focus and cohesiveness of Hez Marks. I know, that's part of their charm, kind of like The Slip, which both EPs tend to resemble. Granted, songs like Less Than, She's Gone Away and The Idea of You are modern day NIN classics, no question. But then there's tracks like Burning Bright, The Background World and The Lovers which sound like they were composed over a lunch break. Not Anymore is a complete throwaway and doesn't warrant the lavish praise I've seen it receiving since AV's release.

But Hez Marks is a winner from start to finish. All Time Low, Satellite, Various Methods of Escape, Copy of A, Came Back Haunted, Find My Way, While I'm Still Here...it's just one burner after another after another. And it doesn't sound like anything else he's ever done, while still being positively NIN at the same time..
    I agree with you on Het Marks's focus and cohesiveness, but I disagree about Burning Bright Not Anymore and The Background World. Then again I utterly love The Slip, but I enjoyed Hesitation Marks a lot too. Your view on it is spot on.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Couldn't disagree more. Although I like She's Gone Away and The Idea of You, those two songs have to be my least favorite from both EP's. I love BB, I love TBW and I love The Lovers. And I absoultely super-duper love This Isn't The Place.

I listened to HM quite a lot. It's an awesome record and it's true that it doesn't sound like anything else he's ever done, and that's cool. There are amazing songs on it. But NTAE+AV feel 10x more relevant to me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Burning Bright over a lunch break? Hmm. I actually think lyrically it is one of the more complex NIN songs. I suppose you mean musically... As for The Background World, that song has a lot of layers and hidden stuff in it. Played backwards, he still says the line "Are you Sure?" as well as some other things. Agree on Hez Marks being more cohesive.

I like Hez Marks. TBH, the only album by NIN I'm not too thrilled about is The Slip. Also, I agree Not Anymore is far too short.

I think Dear World and The Lovers are two very weird songs that I only like when I'm in the mood for it. But besides Dear World, I feel NTAE is very cohesive, not sure about AV, still. *shrugs*

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    I just like how Hesitation Marks is one of those albums that I can rock out and chill out to at the same time to for the lack of better terms. I've thought about it since it came out, but it's grown on me to the point where I can really feel it now. I just had to give it some more time to breathe as a whole. It's great for when I don't want to keep up with the faster and heavier albums, or sit through albums as long as The Fragile or Ghosts I-IV, but it certainly packs a punch in just the right areas. (As with just about any NIN album.)

Another thing that still hasn't changed at all, is how I also like to switch between Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth in between getting my fill from it too. I don't do it every time I listen to HM, but PHM and WT are my go-to albums whenever I want to listen to other NIN albums in between an HM fix. It kind of gives me a bit more of a reason to appreciate HM, but that's just me.

It's almost to the point where I also hardly skip around the album, as if I'm listening to Pretty Hate Machine or The Downward Spiral, which are still the albums I'm far less likely to skip around on whenever it comes to proper listens. At that point, I'd definitely say that I actually like it more than I did when it first came out. Even Disappointed and Running have been growing on me, and I skipped those songs a lot.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-01-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Y'know, screw it, this is my top three albums in NIN discography. It's a masterpiece in my eyes just like. I can safely say it isn't "new album" bias anymore. It just gets better with time for me.
    Last edited by HWB; 12-04-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

If “Hez Marks” (I like that lol) didn’t have “Satellite” it’d have been way, way better off. I’m super critical of including that one in the lot. -___- Throwaway, for me. Year Zero stinky.

I feel like a lot of people have said the same about “Everything” (for what it’s worth, both songs were supposedly made to be released on a greatest hits release), but I see Hez Marks as quite the “here and there” album. There‘s a nice representation of all of the vibes NIN is know by at that point (while still sounding fresh and very nicely cohesive altogether), with “Everything” landing smack-dab in the middle, providing a fair shakeup, which I find the whole unit benefits from having. Really, I feel twisted when I hear the song. Like it or not (I like it), it isn’t a joyful sounding song throughout.

*resists temptation to defend “Not Anymore” in this thread...resents people going off topic...hesitation mmmmmmarks*

Hesitation Marks is somewhere in my top 3 NIN albums. Some of the best material since The Fragile, hands fucking down.
    Last edited by Amaro; 12-04-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    If “Hez Marks” (I like that lol) didn’t have “Satellite”, it’d have been way, way better off. I’m super critical of including that one in the lot. -___- Throwaway, for me. Year Zero stinky.
    Year Zero kicks ass in my opinion, so I don't mind Satellite, then again, I don't think it sounds like Year Zero song all that much. I feel like Hez Marks (hey, I like it too), is perfect from top to bottom

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Satellite's a cool song, I just wish it had a less dominant and more varied drumbeat. Or that it had multitracks available so I could change that myself.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    This was the first NIN album to be released when I'd become a fan, the first time I got to experience the feeling of new music coming out from the band and the first time I got to attend a concert in general, let alone for NIN. Came Back Haunted, the festival streams, the Tension tour, the Halloween date I caught, all of it was an electric and exciting time for me and was a big deal in my life, along with the 2014 shows (I ended up making some of the best friends I've ever had because of those shows), and Hesitation Marks was the soundtrack to all of it. It was on in every car, playing every time I was at home, going through my head all of the time.

While I'm Still Here/Black Noise, Copy of A, Various Methods of Escape, it was full of stuff that clicked with me right away and was the poppy synth-heavy sleek and dark with style material I was interested in at the time. The Sanctified rework that came about from that era is a great example of where Trent's approach to his work was at and the growth that HM showed to me -- tapping into the same beats, the same themes, the same frustrations and the same fears but doing it with a confidence, a sharpness and a focus that was fantastic. It represents a particular point in my life and the subject matter of fighting with old versions of yourself, having a life that should make you happy but still dealing with mental illness and feeling like you're only postponing the inevitable is still vivid and interesting ground for NIN.

The fact that this, Welcome Oblivion, the Gone Girl score and the touring for it all happened within a roughly one-year period is amazing and was the most overloaded I'd ever been with new work from my favorite artist. I don't listen to it as much as I once did (and I think I probably overplayed it at release) but seeing Copy of A live again this year reinforced by affinity for it and the album it's from. It wasn't a wild leap in a new direction, but it was a mature and stylish attempt at pushing forward and I admire it a lot. The new EPs are much more to my taste these days, but HM feels like Pretty Hate Machine and Year Zero had a baby and left it home alone unsupervised and I just wish they'd released multitracks for it because I feel like the remix potential was high for a lot of it.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    If “Hez Marks” (I like that lol) didn’t have “Satellite” it’d have been way, way better off. I’m super critical of including that one in the lot. -___- Throwaway, for me. Year Zero stinky.
    Really?, "Satellite" is great in my opinion; i think "Running" is a lot worse (but i can live with it, i would rather erase "Everything" from that album...)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Really?, "Satellite" is great in my opinion; i think "Running" is a lot worse (but i can live with it, i would rather erase "Everything" from that album...)
    Everything and Running are awesome and one of many stand-outs on the album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Running is shockingly underrated I think. It kinda sounds like it could belong on Radiohead's The King of Limbs or something, it's got an insistent rhythmic feel to it. Those scratchy guitars and Trent's vocals are brilliant.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Running sounds like an outtake from Niggy Tardust tbh. Expect Saul's voice popping up anytime.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I luv that record & thought the show was phenomenal. I saw them when they had the backup singers. Sure it was different for NIN but still excellent. That being said, the stripped down band of this year was beyond the beyond. So intense!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So...I'm curious, has "Everything" grown on people, or do people still think it's the worst thing NIN has ever done?

Personally, I dug it from first listen and haven't stopped.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I love Everything, always have.

If it would have been played, im sure it would have been as heavy as Branches/Bones is live.