Page 226 of 241 FirstFirst ... 126 176 216 224 225 226 227 228 236 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,780 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    @elevenism - I can't remember the exact post you said this, but you're right. Far be it from me to be an expert on being an audiophile, but listening to Hesitation Marks on the right headphones does it a lot of justice. Hearing the bass and the layers of some of the melodies that some headphones miss makes it a whole lot better. (I've been having bad luck with headphones over the years, as some of them were never that good to start with, or they just ended up dying on me.)

It just sounded a lot more clearer, thicker and fuller, with more panache or "oomph" if you will, even if it's just on one side. And now to find a decent working pair of headphones... soon...
    my over priced Beats Pro's do this album a great deal of justice.. But like @Jordan said, I wish some of the layers weren't so quiet.
    A lot is lost in a standard set of ear buds or even most car stereos.
    Also, remember there are those "audiophile" versions out there.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    my over priced Beats Pro's do this album a great deal of justice.. But like @Jordan said, I wish some of the layers weren't so quiet.
    A lot is lost in a standard set of ear buds or even most car stereos.
    Also, remember there are those "audiophile" versions out there.
    with the car stereo, you've got to turn the fucker up REAL loud

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Strangely enough, my favorite has to be Find My Way. Like @littlemonkey613 said, the outtro is insane. The whole song is IMO. Aside from that, in no paticular order my other favorites are Copy, All Time Low, Everything, In Two and While I'm Still Here/Black Noise.

I feel like the middle part of the album, Disappointed through I Would For You,is lacking and could have used some more work. Its not that any of the songs are bad, but they lack the ambition of the tracks I mentioned above. Disappointed and Running just sound too similar to each other, as do Various Methods and I Would For You. The album tends to loose steam during tracks 6-11.

As for Satellite and CBH, im pretty neutral feeling about. Nothing special, almost generic sounding NIN tracks. Not bad, but nothing special.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 09-06-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    You know I was actually able to make fans out of a few different people with this album. Came Back Haunted has a very wide appeal, Copy of a netted people and Satellite is super catchy; Various Methods and, big shock, Everything were also really good starts for them. It's quickly become a good, easy intro to NIN type album.
    my mom loves this fucking album. she's 56.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Same, and mine's 63. Her favourite band is Abba.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    posted on the NIN tumblr: Russell Mills art exhibition featuring the work he did for Hesitation Marks tonight in LA.

Tonight in Los Angeles, join artist Russell Mills and see the artwork he created for Nine Inch Nails' Hesitation Marks. A unique sound installation created by Mills and his collaborator Michael Fearon will provide the sonic atmosphere for the exhibition. RSVP here, capacity is limited.
    sounds pretty cool!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    posted on the NIN tumblr: Russell Mills art exhibition featuring the work he did for Hesitation Marks tonight in LA.
    Yeah, that would be a cool thing to attend! Anyone in LA planning on going to this? This part sounded especially intriguing:
    An immersive self-generating sound installation created by Mills and collaborator Michael Fearon will provide the sonic atmosphere for the exhibition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    my mom loves this fucking album. she's 56.
    Same here. My mom became a NIN fan through Hesitation Marks and she's 62! She really thinks 'Copy of A' is the greatest song ever made LOL!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sipblog View Post
    Same here. My mom became a NIN fan through Hesitation Marks and she's 62! She really thinks 'Copy of A' is the greatest song ever made LOL!
    As well as my 68 years old father and my 3 years old son. :-P

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    From a recent Billboard interview, we finally get to hear who Trent talks about in the 'in conversation' thing when he talks about getting an outside producer to shake up their way of working a bit. I'd be curious to hear the songs arranged as a band thing, (although I guess we did on the Tension tour?)

"On the last album, Hesitation Marks, we did something that impressed me. I said, "This same team of people have done the last several albums, we're comfortable with each other. I know what's going to happen. Let's bring in someone else as a producer. And let's empower them to see what happens."
    It meant everyone taking a step back and relinquishing some power. At some point we all went, "This is bullshit. This isn't leading to a better result. This is just clutter." It only lasted a couple weeks.

Who was the producer, and what was the difference in approach?
    It was Markus Dravs, who has worked with Arcade Fire quite a bit. He's a song-based guy that's less a studio rat, engineer-type like we are. I don't want to throw him under the bus. I'm not here to talk shit about him. But there was a lot of "Let's get an ensemble of people to play this thing," and "We need an arranger to do that." It didn't feel like it was leading anywhere. I respect the guy and it didn't end in a fistfight or anything. He was a means to an end to make us realize that our instincts about the record were the right way to go. The record that was finished, I'm very proud of. It felt like a reinvention to me."

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    That was an interesting insight into (good lord all those 'ins') how the early part of the HM recording process went. Honestly, that Billboard interview was absolutely fantastic - a bunch of questions I haven't seen anyone ask Trent before, and he even talked about his hometown and how it's changed since he left. Great, great read.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This album is waaaaay crazy more tolerable when high. Satellite was written just for me!
    Still convinced this album is a named literally, in a way. Sounds like it's about putting NIN to bed and moving on (also dying himself, like from a disease) so this album would be like a hesitation mark before NIN's suicide.
    Last edited by Wolfkiller; 02-12-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Still convinced this album is a named literally, in a way. Sounds like it's about putting NIN to bed and moving on (also dying himself, like from a disease) so this album would be like a hesitation mark before NIN's suicide.
    ummm, let's hope it is not

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Man, I know I've probably posted this exact same thing a number of months ago, but: this album is sooo damned good. Every so often I rediscover it and it's always such a joy. I feel quite comfortable saying this is my favorite NIN album.

And "Everything" remains badass.

Er, that is all, I guess?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I love everything. It's a great song.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    As of now, my favorite songs from Hesitation Marks would be Copy Of A, Find My Way, Everything, Satellite, Various Methods Of Escape, While I'm Still Here and Black Noise. I doubt that much as changed though, but I still find myself listening to the second half of the album more than the first half.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Anybody else associates those cracking noises in “Find my way” with walking on ice?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    No, I associate it with the old penitentiary blues tunes, where people would sing along to the rhythm of them breaking rocks. There are some recordings of such songs, and I find it really similar to this, either in sound, rhythm, or mood.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I still find myself listening to the second half of the album more than the first half.
    That's interesting, because the past few months whenever I've put it on, I almost always start it at VMoE and just do the second half.

Not because I don't love the entire album, but I think when I'm in a more calm/melancholy state of mind, I mostly just enjoy the 2nd half (VMoE -> WISH/BN). When I'm feeling more energetic/positive I enjoy the 1st half more (CoA -> Satellite).

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninmachine View Post
    Just when I thought I couldn't love this album any more... http://postimg.org/image/sllvn1kvp/full/
    i don't get it.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    i don't get it.
    ninmachine just discovered a fact that most of us already knew, that's all

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    ninmachine just discovered a fact that most of us already knew, that's all
    okay, but wtf is that link directing me to? i see lyrics on a shitty page. i still don't get it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    okay, but wtf is that link directing me to? i see lyrics on a shitty page. i still don't get it.
    Scroll to the right. The annotation explains the Hank Williams reference.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So after all this time the songs that have stuck with me the most are 'copy of a, all time low, various methods..., i would for you and in two'. One thing i always notice for some reason is the snare drum during the verses of 'all time low'. Its a very tight sound and i wish it was bigger and had more sustain on it. Imagine the snare at the beginning of 'heresy' or 'last'. I dont know why but i focus on that and wish that it was more powerful. It would def change the tone of that song a little. I still love it though.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    didnt think there would be a NIN album that would make me actually appreciate The Slip until I heard HM...year and a half later I feel the same way......other than copy of a, just complete filler...hopefully the new record has some balls to it

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I usually avoid 'the eater of dreams' because it makes my ears itchy. Seriously.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm still happy to say that Everything is one of my most favorite songs from Hesitation Marks. I almost listen to Everything as much as Copy Of A.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Interesting. I wonder why Hesitation Marks was signed to Columbia. Who can tell me?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Interesting. I wonder why Hesitation Marks was signed to Columbia. Who can tell me?
    Because Trent likes making money for his work, and being unsigned is fucking hard work.