Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Temple Pilots

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Scott Weiland was pretty awesome last night. The Brighten Music Hall is pretty small and I stood at the side of the stage, maybe 20 feet from the band. What a difference from last time. When I saw him two years ago, about a week after he was fired from Stone Temple Pilots, he seemed pretty wasted (he was late, slurred speech, sloppy), but he was definitely on his game last night. Scott, who is 47, looked and sounded like he could have been in his early 30's. He's in great shape and gave a good performance, playing a mix of old-school STP and songs from his upcoming album, 'Blaster.' The new material has a sort of Black Keys/Jack White garage sound but with a retro 70's feel. Scott's band, the Wildabouts, now reduced to a four piece (including Scott), was a lot tighter than the 2013 show. On the last show they seemed like a tribute band at a dive bar, but last night they actually played the STP material a lot better, although they are still no match for the DeLeo brothers and Kretz. I had a lot of fun at the 2013 show, but it was sad to see Scott in such bad shape. Glad to see that he's taking care of himself these days.
    God, I was clueless.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Hard to believe it's been a year. I didn't realize it was the anniversary of his death until afterward, but I was in the mood for "Purple" today and listened to quite a bit of it. I would definitely say it's in my top five favorite albums ever. Other than, you know, "Army Ants" (doesn't everyone say that?) that album is absolutely perfect start to finish.

I wish I could see him live again. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity three times, one of them on the floor. He helped make some of my favorite music of all time, music that means a hell of a lot to me. He is still missed.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Time flies!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sweet! We finally get an official release of Unplugged!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Awesome, cant wait to download that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wonder if we'll get deluxe editions of the other albums. Tiny Music is one of my favorite albums ever, so it would be nice to hear what else came of those sessions.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    I wonder if we'll get deluxe editions of the other albums. Tiny Music is one of my favorite albums ever, so it would be nice to hear what else came of those sessions.
    Purple, maybe, Tiny Music, perhaps. Doubt it we will see a super deluxe megaset for anything after that. Can't belive No.4 is nearly 20 years old.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Looks sweet. Amazon has it listed for $71.79

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Always really liked this song.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Update. Looks like new singer will be announced soon.
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sto...-looking-good/

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Wasn’t that quest for the new frontman something going on early in 2016? Thought that would have been a done deal by now. Not that I was ever a Bennington fan, but why didn’t he stick with it in STP? He didn’t seem to have the vocal range of Weiland, but he did have the stage presence and bravado a group like STP needs to fill the void left by Scott. But why are these guys even still going as STP, what do they have left in the tank? Even when Scott reunited in 2010 the new music they made with wasn’t all that good, nor was their new output with Bennington. I’m not sure if they’ll maintain relevance if they settle for an economy sound-alike to just do tours and play the hits.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Wasn’t that quest for the new frontman something going on early in 2016? Thought that would have been a done deal by now. Not that I was ever a Bennington fan, but why didn’t he stick with it in STP? He didn’t seem to have the vocal range of Weiland, but he did have the stage presence and bravado a group like STP needs to fill the void left by Scott. But why are these guys even still going as STP, what do they have left in the tank? Even when Scott reunited in 2010 the new music they made with wasn’t all that good, nor was their new output with Bennington. I’m not sure if they’ll maintain relevance if they settle for an economy sound-alike to just do tours and play the hits.
    He left to focus on Linkin Park and his family. Rumor is the new guy is Jeff Gutt from the X Factor, some talent show.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Looks sweet. Amazon has it listed for $71.79
    Out tomorrow, down to $58 at amazon.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm very happy with the Core remaster. I thought that the original CD from 1992 sounded fine, and didn't really need an upgrade and a remaster might suffer from brickwall mastering--but this remaster sounds really good. It's maybe a little louder, and sounds a little crisper. With a good set of headphones you can tell a subtle difference.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I found the Core “super deluxe” box set thing in a record store yesterday for $45. Well worth it. This album sounds terrific even a quarter-century later. The bonus material is satisfying, as well.

”Creep” is still one of my favorite songs ever. So timeless, haunting and noir as fuck. One of my favorite music videos of all time, too. It’s always amazing, no matter how many times I hear it..

I hope they do something like this in a couple years for Purple’s 25th..

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Really liking the MTV Unplugged performance.

I prefer this over the album version.

Damn, Weiland looks like a kid here.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 10-12-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I found the Core “super deluxe” box set thing in a record store yesterday for $45. Well worth it. This album sounds terrific even a quarter-century later. The bonus material is satisfying, as well.
    Really? 3 or 4 discs of it are live performances...meh to me. Could've been better. I was interested till I read the track listing after initial announcement. I lost interest after seeing it was just shit heard and seen elsewhere easily.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I always liked Interstate Love Song, Trippin and Creep. I never got to see them live, but I found a really awesome concert video shot in NYC on youtube. Scott was one of the coolest frontmen ever. RIP

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Really? 3 or 4 discs of it are live performances...meh to me. Could've been better. I was interested till I read the track listing after initial announcement. I lost interest after seeing it was just shit heard and seen elsewhere easily.
    It's a good value--the album on record, remastered album (sounds great), demos, MTV unplugged and live shows from '93. The packaging is really nice, as are the photos, essay etc. Since the boxset exclusively focuses on the Core era, I don't know what else it could have included.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I find it amusing when people called stp a pearl jam/ aic ripoff....with the irony being stp came first (the band which eventually became stp formes in 85 while the latter two formed in 90 and 87 respectively)

I guess it didnt help that Core came out the same day as Dirt did

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I find it amusing when people called stp a pearl jam/ aic ripoff....with the irony being stp came first (the band which eventually became stp formes in 85 while the latter two formed in 90 and 87 respectively)

I guess it didnt help that Core came out the same day as Dirt did
    But Core was released a year after Nevermind and Ten. Very early STP (The Mighty Joe Young demos) sounds more like RHCP. They did borrow from the Seattle songbook on their first album, but hey, so what? Those songs are great. "Plush" is as good as anything else that was on rock radio in the early 90's.

And that could have been it, they could have been a flash-in-the-pan, but they only got better with Purple, arguably their crowning achievement.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    The main reason for the PJ ripoff thing is because the record label literally handed STP a copy of Ten and encouraged Scott to sing like Eddie. But yeah, they moved beyond that and carved our their own separate legacy.

And I can't wait to see what the Purple reissue has in store.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Looks like STP will play a show 11/14. No singer named:

http://diffuser.fm/stone-temple-pilo...turn-to-stage/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    something must be coming soon, everyday they’re posting a picture of a jigsaw piece that i assume is going to make up a new album cover on social media

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The show's in a couple days and nothing yet?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    The show's in a couple days and nothing yet?
    Tuesday.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    My guess for the probable new STP lead singer reveal tomorrow…

Spoiler: …Dee Snider!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    My guess for the probable new STP lead singer reveal tomorrow…

Spoiler: …Dee Snider!
    No, no and no. It will be probably someone we never heard of, like David Coutts. If Talk Show hadn't been a massive flop they could have had a 20th anniversary tour and recorded a new album. I actually really liked their album and Coutts wasn't bad.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/chaztc80/status/930455760311500805

Would be hilarious if it's Dave Coutts.
    Last edited by allegate; 11-14-2017 at 11:31 AM.