Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Temple Pilots

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/stone...-feelin,98259/

Apparently the rest of STP feel they have the legal high-ground over Weiland. I thought Scott would take the situation to court first, but I guess the Deleo's and Kretz want to sever ties and move on as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Its really not hard to sing STP. Dudes at karaoke bars can nail it.
    Especially most songs from Core, an album where Weiland was pretty much a good Eddie Vedder clone at that point in his career. Still, songs like Sin, Piece of Pie, and Where the River Goes take some shred of vocal talent to pull off live on a day-to-day basis. Considering Weiland already has a penchant for half-assing it live these days, those songs might have been too embarrassing to play over the coarse an entire tour.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Its just like whenever anybody sings for Queen...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    How suave of them. Couldn't use the name without Weiland, so why not just use WITH. Still not STP. It's like Joy Division without Ian and with Boy George instead.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I would think the DeLeos would know enough rock history to know that there's no way in hell you can substitute your iconic singer with someone else moonlighting from a band a generation younger and get away with it. If STP want to be something more than a band whose 15 minutes were up nearly two decades ago they need to go away, sort out their shit, get back with Weiland, and write some fucking hits. Because this Chester Bennington shit is fucking ridiculous, and shame on Chester for eagerly going along with it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm so against this whole STP reunion thing and with a really shitty vocalist choice on top of it. It's all so stupid and idiotic.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Stone Temple Pilots

Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I would think the DeLeos would know enough rock history to know that there's no way in hell you can substitute your iconic singer with someone else moonlighting from a band a generation younger and get away with it. If STP want to be something more than a band whose 15 minutes were up nearly two decades ago they need to go away, sort out their shit, get back with Weiland, and write some fucking hits. Because this Chester Bennington shit is fucking ridiculous, and shame on Chester for eagerly going along with it.
    Whole thing just reeks of spite and denial. Chester probably knows full well that he doesn't fit, but does it anyway. And DeLeos are only doing this a fuck you to Weiland. They've been in the industry for over 20 years now. You would thing they would know better or be mature about the whole thing and just start a new band.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It's still not right. I feel like people who are STP fans will feel like they've been ripped off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    as a person that in the early 90s was as a big an stp fan(STP was my first concert) as i was a nin fan i can say i left that fandom after tiny music, their last great album and i havent looked back. on the the fact that chester is now their singer only enforces my lack of interest. (im sure many will say they had good albums after tiny but i will disagree haha)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    If STP want to be something more than a band whose 15 minutes were up nearly two decades ago.
    While I agree with your general sentiments, I don't think that the "15-minutes" verbiage applies to STP. Their first 4 records are all classic and they combined to sell over 20 million copies. The only crappy songs they ever released in the 90's were: Army Ants, Ride The Cliche, and MC5. That run of consistency was pretty incredible. Plus, they were absolutely on fire for a year or two when Scott got out of jail. The Shangri-La tour is even worth re-visiting (check out the 4-19-2002 show when they opened with "Shine On, You Crazy Diamond" or the Rolling Rock Town Fair Show). Even when they put out their crappy, self-titled record a few years back, they were still able to fill small arenas.

When I think of 90's bands who had their 15-minutes, it's much more applicable to acts like Everclear, Filter, Sugar Ray, Days Of The New, etc...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    STP proved with the last album that they still had a lot left in the tank. A lot of bitching and moaning on both ends. They'll probably kiss and make up eventually before falling out, again.

STP is like Jane's addiction. Quit when they still had a lot gems left to be written, and can't get along.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    No. 4 is probably my favorite followed by Tiny Music. Although all of them were good IMO.

I saw them live in 2000 and they were incredible. The show opening Final Four weekend in Indy was bad, Scott was wasted or something and couldn't talk/sing correctly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Whole thing just reeks of spite and denial. Chester probably knows full well that he doesn't fit, but does it anyway. And DeLeos are only doing this a fuck you to Weiland. They've been in the industry for over 20 years now. You would thing they would know better or be mature about the whole thing and just start a new band.
    Yeah, they've tried that twice, hence STP with Chester Bennington.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    And past will repeat itself and it'll likely flop.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    Yeah, they've tried that twice, hence STP with Chester Bennington.
    Bingo!

It's not spite; they're going to great lengths to use the STP name because they have to, not because they want to. Sadly, even the STP brand will only guarantee them a House of Blues tour and a couple spins on local hard rock stations.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    Bingo!

It's not spite; they're going to great lengths to use the STP name because they have to, not because they want to. Sadly, even the STP brand will only guarantee them a House of Blues tour and a couple spins on local hard rock stations.
    Deleos band with Richard Patrick, Army of Anyone, was a failure so i agree 100%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So the STP & Chester Bennington EP leaked last week and I decided to listen to it so I could justify how bad of a decision STP had made in choosing this guy as their vocalist.

Ugh. I hate when I'm wrong. I actually enjoy it quite a bit. I don't know if I like it under the name STP, but it's not bad music and Chester has chops that I wouldn't have expected from "that guy from Linkin Park".

Full EP:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting the new EP--I've been waiting to see it on youtube.

I personally really like the new EP--and I say that as someone who was never a huge Linkin Park fan. I was not very enthusiastic about Chester joining the band, but where credit is due, he's done a good job of filling in for Scott and is a good fit for the band, IMHO. The new songs kind of sound like a continuation of band's (very underrated) self-titled album. The EP is nothing earth-shattering, just a collection of five well-crafted 90s-sounding rock songs.

Caught the Boston show a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It was very odd to see STP with a new singer, but the band clearly has chemistry and seemed to be enjoying themselves. I also saw Scott Weiland in Boston in March. While Scott's show was a little more exciting, STP were in much better form. Scott was clearly on something and I can't say I blame the rest of the band for not wanting to play with a singer who is often late/high/drunk.

Gotta disagree with what some have said about SW as a singer. Weiland may have channeled Vedder on Core, but he's an amazing, versatile, charismatic singer and a true rock star with a great set of pipes.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 10-01-2013 at 04:52 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Thanks, man. ETS seems far more active than the official form. Maybe that will change once the upgrade is made.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    EP isnt that bad. Feels kinda odd at times. But, musically, it's pretty lively. First two tracks aren't too bad either. But, those are the tracks where he tries to sound like Scott. Last track's guitar part reminds me a lot of Regeneration. This could be a grower. Time will tell I guess. It isn't bad though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Morning spin of this today, and I have to say it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Chester sounds great on "Black Heart", really outside of his normal range, but it's still just not Weiland.

I'd say a solid 6/10 or so. Far better than that Korn disc yesterday...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Not really a competition when you compare it to korn. 6/10 seems pretty reasonable.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. Might have to take back my 6/10

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'd give it a 8/10 or 4/5. Again, nothing earth-shattering and the band isn't breaking new ground, but the songs are memorable and well-written.

Brett from alternativnation did a good interview with Dean. Lots of good info: http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=35820

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    The music is perfect but I can't get behind the Weiland impersonator. Shame.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Chester's still singing in his range, it's just that he's using a vocal style that's better suited for STP. It's not like when Gary Cherone fronted Van Halen and was screaming his lungs out, trying to sound like Sammy Hagar.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    STP will be on Leno tonight.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    STP will be on Leno tonight.
    "STP" you mean, but I might throw it on just to see how it goes.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Chester's still singing in his range, it's just that he's using a vocal style that's better suited for STP. It's not like when Gary Cherone fronted Van Halen and was screaming his lungs out, trying to sound like Sammy Hagar.
    He doesn't need to mimic Weiland though. For a first release, fine. But I can expect that getting very old, very fast if he continues doing that. He's not Weiland. If they want to to continue with Chester, fine. There's potential there. But, they can't keep going on if all they're going to do is keep writing with a Weiland impersonator. It's one thing to play the hits with him, it's another to write completely new material while mimicking the old guy, who they fired. If they want him to sound like Weiland, then perhaps they shouldn't have canned him.