Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Stone Temple Pilots

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Not a huge fan of STP without Scott, or AIC without Layne. In my mind it just isn’t the same. Almost like they become a cover of themselves. TON did the right thing to hang it up and individually move on to other projects after Peter died.

That said, these two new songs aren't bad, definitely better than the stuff from the 2010 album (with Scott), and it’s understandable if a band wants to continue on under an established and profitable moniker. Scott was just one of four, and the others shouldn't have to be forced to disband because of his refusal to make responsible decisions. The whole situation is fucked and unfortunate.

I don't know much about Jeff, and while the two studio songs sound ok, I wasn't a fan of the live troubadour performance. His range didn't sound as broad or clear as Scott, but that might have been a recording quality thing.

I agree with what you are saying, I'm a big fan of STP and to think STP going on without Scott is unfathomable. Just like AIC the remaining members have no other choice. I completely agree with these bands being in danger of being a cover of themselves.

I don't think STP's new singer will have a problem singing the older (Scott) material, it seems to be his strong point emulating Scott. It will be interesting to see if the new singer receives a writing credit for any of the new STP songs. Somehow I feel that some of the these songs may be music that was left over from the Scott era just redone with a new singer.

I also agree that the situation that STP had to endure with Scott Weiland wasn't fair to the remaining members. I think Weiland was probably the best singer to come along within last the 25 years, that being said truly talented people tend to be lacking elsewhere in their lives, be it, addiction or other various problems. As great a Weiland was, he didn't make it alone, the DeLeo brothers and Eric had a hand in the success of STP as well. I think the writing as well Dean's guitar playing all played a part in the success of STP.

The only way we are ever going to hear Scott with STP again is if there is some unreleased material floating around.

So far the new STP stuff isn't bad so I will give it a chance.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I can’t believe it....

I actually like that latest song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I’ll tell you what. With this new song, a casual listener that didn’t know Scott died wouldn’t know this isn’t him.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    I’ll tell you what. With this new song, a casual listener that didn’t know Scott died wouldn’t know this isn’t him.
    Yup.

Has a kind of SLDD vibe. I'm pleasantly surprised by Jeff Gutt. He's not Weiland, obviously, but I think he's probably a better fit for STP than Chester was.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I absolutely adore this side of STP! My question about Jeff has been "but can he croon?" and this is pretty good!

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    The new song is pretty good, I agree with what some of you said that it has a No4 vibe to it (one of my favorite STP records!)

On the other hand, just as with AIC, my biggest problem is having a new singer who sounds a lot like the old one. To me, that cheapens the artistry of it. I don't mind them continuing with the same band name, I get it, but it makes it feel like a cover band. I want to hear musicians go into new territory and towards something, and it's just the opposite of that.

Few bands did this transition well in history, Joy Division comes to mind, and in a strange way I always thought of Velvet Revolver as GnR with a new singer (I know it's not quite accurate, but that's what it feels like) and it worked, Slash brought his signature style and it felt very "hair metal" at places, but it was a new band and it was its own thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So far this feels pretty natural to me, aside from Meadow. As someone here said it sounds like a left over from the last album that Scott already had a vocal for and they just re-did it with the new guy.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    The new song is pretty good, I agree with what some of you said that it has a No4 vibe to it (one of my favorite STP records!)

On the other hand, just as with AIC, my biggest problem is having a new singer who sounds a lot like the old one. To me, that cheapens the artistry of it. I don't mind them continuing with the same band name, I get it, but it makes it feel like a cover band. I want to hear musicians go into new territory and towards something, and it's just the opposite of that.

Few bands did this transition well in history, Joy Division comes to mind, and in a strange way I always thought of Velvet Revolver as GnR with a new singer (I know it's not quite accurate, but that's what it feels like) and it worked, Slash brought his signature style and it felt very "hair metal" at places, but it was a new band and it was its own thing.
    In what way does William sound like Layne?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So...I got the chance to see STP on Saturday night, fourth time seeing them, first time with the new singer.

I have to say, I was very skeptical going on, but I kept an open mind and genuinely wanted to like the new guy and wanted to enjoy the show (they're my second favorite band, I was really, really hoping it would not be disappointing). Was on the floor, maybe three feet behind the rail, which was awesome. I have to say, the new singer is REALLY good, you guys. His voice is fine, but his performance and stage presence is what really impressed me. He absolutely fits in with the rest of the band. Like, perfectly. It wasn't the same without Scott (and I didn't expect it to be) but it was still a GREAT show, and STP still remains (ha ha ha) one of my favorite bands to see live. I've never seen a show of theirs where they didn't just blow the roof off the place.

Setlist spoilers follow. Sorry, I can't remember how to spoiler tag stuff. Anyway, I was a little disappointed we missed a few of the usual staples ("Creep" and "Big Bang Baby" were noticeably absent) but oh my GOD, did we get some really good songs that they haven't played in awhile (and I have never seen live). Particularly "Pruno" (which was AWESOME), "Atlanta" (ohmygod), "Glide" (!!!) and one of my absolute favorite STP songs, "Still Remains" (which was SO GREAT, I had never seen it live before). They played all their big stuff during the main set, closing it out with "Dead and Bloated" and "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart" (the best song of the night the last three times I've seen them). They came back for "Down" and "Piece of Pie" as an encore.

All in all it was a great show. I'm kind of bummed because some douchebag ruined part of it for me (specifically missed two of my favorite STP songs, WTF, dude) but I am so glad I went. I will always see them whenever they come to town.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wow, them playing all of those songs off of #4 is pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    3.5/5 review from the All Music Guide:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/stone...8-mw0003148798

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Must be an exciting listen if it came out today and there are no thoughts.

I remembered that it came out today about five minutes before I had to leave for work and I knew my ipod wouldn't update fast enough so I'm stuck knowing it's on my computer but I can't listen to it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Heard a little bit from it. Doesn't seem bad. Pretty tame though.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I kinda expect them to play it safe first. Gotta get comfortable with the guy first....then the good shit happens

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This record is easily better than STP (2010). Obviously in the absence of Weiland, nothing will ever top the first 4 albums (so it will probably rank alongside the High Rise EP and Army of Anyone in the pantheon of DeLeo releases). Definitely better than Talk Show and STP (2010). Shangri-La will be the closest comparison I think.

The only negative so far is that Gutt sounds suspiciously close to Weiland on certain songs. Sometimes it feels intentional and makes me squeamish (like I am listening to a tribute act). Certainly hope that fades in time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The album is pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Love the new album. It's hard to compare it with the first five, as we've had years to digest them, but it's definitely better than what I expected. It's better than the 2010 album and their EP with Chester (I liked both). I liked Coutts, Patrick and Bennington, but Gutt is the best fit for the DeLeo brothers, apart from Weiland.

The albums reminds me a little of AIC's BGWTB--the band sounds reborn, fresh, renewed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Finest Hour makes me feel really nostalgic. Sounds like vintage STP

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Love this song:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Stone Temple Pilots, Bush and The Cult are going on tour together this summer:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...3-tour-w518586

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Dean DeLeo's wife files for divorce and accuses him of domestic violence.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/25/stone-...stic-violence/

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    that disheartening to hear

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    that disheartening to hear
    Yes. Let's here what he has to say, but this shit is indefensible.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Pretty damn hypocritical to how he treated Scott knowing about this now.

Why does all my favorite musically how to be dicks

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, hearing the Maynard thing was a pretty big bummer but this absolutely broke my heart.

I cannot even put into words how much STP's music means to me. Dean was my musical hero. This is just...ugh. Shitty. Really, really shitty.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Pretty damn hypocritical to how he treated Scott knowing about this now.

Why does all my favorite musically how to be dicks
    Everyone is problematic.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I definitely didn’t believe it was all just Scott. All of them have a part.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Good review of the STP/Bush/Cult tour:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music...s/201807220119