Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Temple Pilots

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    https://twitter.com/chaztc80/status/930455760311500805

Would be hilarious if it's Dave Coutts.
    Doubt if his supervisor at Papa Gino's would let him take that much time off work for a tour/recording sessions.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, the new album is called Meadow (announced on their website) and the singer's identity has leaked.

https://www.alternativenation.net/ph...-studio-leaks/

Now get to touring, guys! I want to throw all my hard-earned money at you!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    So, the new album is called Meadow (announced on their website) and the singer's identity has leaked.

https://www.alternativenation.net/ph...-studio-leaks/

Now get to touring, guys! I want to throw all my hard-earned money at you!
    The article specifically says that guy is NOT the new singer.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I mean, if you're going to be technical about it...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Say hello to Jeff Gutt, their new lead singer. New single "Meadow" is out this week.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/its...-new-frontman/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Not bad. Gutt sounds a lot like Weiland.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Holy shit does he sound like Scott.

Seems to be be a nice pick.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They've tried so many times with singers who don't sound like Scott, so I imagine they were just like "fuck it".

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Boy, that song is fucking terrible.

I maintain that they lost their mojo after No. 4.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Its not terrible but its nothing special.

The guy sounds like if Scott was in a Nu Metal band.

Also is the low e string tuned to B? They doing the rusty cage tuning or did they really tune that low?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Boy, that song is fucking terrible.

I maintain that they lost their mojo after No. 4.
    I thought that Shangri La Dee Da was outstanding and the most underrated in their catalog. The s/t was pretty good, but the fact Weiland recorded his vocals in another studio kind of hampered the album, it lacked the cohesion of their past five albums. I enjoyed the Bennington EP but that lineup was over before they could find their groove.

This new song is decent. It sounds like STP and Gutt is a good singer, but it lacks the spark that Weiland gave the music. He turned good material into great material.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    It's still the first song and are most likely just playing it safe for the moment just to see what happens

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not sure what I think of the whole thing, I feel sorry for them but no one cares to Scott.

The exactly same thing happened with Velvet Revolver. They were searching for someone for a long time before they gave Scott a try and bang, there is your Rock Star.

Shangri La Dee Da is a very underrated album, it has some amazing tracks on it, Wonderful, Black Again, etc. Some classic vocals on it.

I guess let's wait until the album comes out, not sure I was too into Chester with STP but lets see how it turns out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Scott was a unique, quirky guy. He brought that to a band that was a pretty straightforward bluesy rock band. He was certainly the bands personality. That won’t be replaced or replicated. I’m just hoping for a few good songs and at least this guy will preserve the overall sound, as he sounds spot on.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Mediocre song overall and honestly DeLeo Brothers should hang up the STP moniker. You can honestly see they're pigeonholed to it as AOA failed.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Mediocre song overall and honestly DeLeo Brothers should hang up the STP moniker. You can honestly see they're pigeonholed to it as AOA failed.
    And Talk Show was an even bigger flop, so I can see why they want to keep the name. This new song isn't groundbreaking, but it (and Gutt) have grown on me. It's not the same, obviously, without Scott, but he's dead and I don't fault the band for moving on. What you will get with STP 3.0 is a legacy act putting on a good show and a decent or even good album. I already saw the REAL STP twice, so I feel content.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Wow, that's uncanny.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Anyone listen to the full show that Sirius played?

I.....was not a fan. I loved STP in the 90s but I feel like I'd never go see them today.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New self-titled album is out 3/18.

You can hear their new single here:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...-under-w516053

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Is that really going to be the name of the album?? I hate to point out the obvious, but their last record was called the same thing. That would be incredibly lazy! I suppose Carry On was already taken by another legend.

I am marginally more excited for this than I am the WPC/Iha reunion (and their inevitable reimagining of 15-year old Zwan songs). It’s also surprising that there is no NYC show.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    Is that really going to be the name of the album?? I hate to point out the obvious, but their last record was called the same thing. That would be incredibly lazy! I suppose Carry On was already taken by another legend.

I am marginally more excited for this than I am the WPC/Iha reunion (and their inevitable reimagining of 15-year old Zwan songs). It’s also surprising that there is no NYC show.
    TWO self-titled albums does seem kind of odd. But other acts (Weezer, Collective Soul) have done it. And I don't understand why they would play Buffalo and not NYC, and then head to Boston. No Boston show at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    New song is better than anything off the last album with Scott.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    That's not far from the truth. Hazy Daze or Take A Load Off were of the same caliber (but the rest of the album was thorough garbage). It may have even been worse than the Talk Show LP, which is saying something. I am excited that Ken Andrews was behind the boards here. And the setlists could be interesting if they open up the catelogue. Songs like Naked Sunday, Adhesive, and No Way Out would be awesome.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    Last album Scott recorded the vocals in a separate studio. I do like it, but it would have sounded better had they all recorded together.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It’s got more balls than even the decent songs on that album. Closer sound to No. 4, which is a good thing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's grown on me.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    After a couple more listens, I must admit....this shit is fire.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    STP has always been one of my favorite bands, largely because of Scott's vocals but there is no chance he will be back in the band. When I first heard "Meadow" my first thought was this was a song that was kicking around back when Scott was playing with them it was demo'd up with Scott but for whatever reason they never went further with it. The remaining members of STP remembered it, let the new singer hear it and asked him to sing just like Scott. The reason I think this is because the vocal phrasings are very similar to Weiland, it is one thing to sound like somebody else but it is something entirely different when the vocal phrasings are really close to the original singers phrasings and style.

STP has never really had a lot of luck whenever they have tried to get a new singer, but this time around I think they may have found somebody who will work. What I have heard of their new material is pretty good.

In my opinion they will never be able to replace Scott Weiland. Now they have no other choice. I think this could work. I think the genre of rock music is so starved these days for anything good, and its nice to hear STP is back.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Not a huge fan of STP without Scott, or AIC without Layne. In my mind it just isn’t the same. Almost like they become a cover of themselves. TON did the right thing to hang it up and individually move on to other projects after Peter died.

That said, these two new songs aren't bad, definitely better than the stuff from the 2010 album (with Scott), and it’s understandable if a band wants to continue on under an established and profitable moniker. Scott was just one of four, and the others shouldn't have to be forced to disband because of his refusal to make responsible decisions. The whole situation is fucked and unfortunate.

I don't know much about Jeff, and while the two studio songs sound ok, I wasn't a fan of the live troubadour performance. His range didn't sound as broad or clear as Scott, but that might have been a recording quality thing.