Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Temple Pilots

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I was not trying to 'bash' Scott with the video I posted...I hope someone close to him reaches out to him, and pulls him aside. He needs a break from all of this! He gave us such wonderful music and I feel a bit powerless about this, you know? I want Scott to get better. It's similar to how I feel about Aaron North (that depressing Spin article). Gave us such great performances...hopefully Aaron's out there, doing OK.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I was not trying to 'bash' Scott with the video I posted...I hope someone close to him reaches out to him, and pulls him aside. He needs a break from all of this! He gave us such wonderful music and I feel a bit powerless about this, you know? I want Scott to get better. It's similar to how I feel about Aaron North (that depressing Spin article). Gave us such great performances...hopefully Aaron's out there, doing OK.
    I don't think you were trying to "bash" Scott by posting that video. He looked pretty fucked-up and there's no denying that.

Scott couldn't even take off his jacket (@35 seconds):

It's just sad and painful to watch. Hopefully he will get some help. But like I said, he seemed much better the next night, so hopefully Tuesday's show was just a slip-up.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 04-30-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Man, Scott is one of my favorite vocalists/lyricists and to see him like this is such a drag. He looks like he's performing karaoke, but isn't very good at it. I hope he can put himself back together.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    He needs help. I don't blame the other guys for kicking him out of the band and use the STP name. They need to make money. I can understand that so I can at least forgive them for that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I might go see Weiland next Friday since it's only about a 90 minute drive and tix are $25. My beef is that on a solo tour,he neglects 12bb and HIG. Not even a single song from either,at least according to the setlists I saw. I understand he's promoting Blaster and most fans there probably wanna hear STP hits but it's ridiculous to play such short sets and not even a few songs from his previous solo albums. Still,he's in my top 5 favorite singers so I'll probably go.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    I might go see Weiland next Friday since it's only about a 90 minute drive and tix are $25. My beef is that on a solo tour,he neglects 12bb and HIG. Not even a single song from either,at least according to the setlists I saw. I understand he's promoting Blaster and most fans there probably wanna hear STP hits but it's ridiculous to play such short sets and not even a few songs from his previous solo albums. Still,he's in my top 5 favorite singers so I'll probably go.
    Have fun if you go. I did notice that the Boston show was pretty short, about an hour. The STP show I saw on Tuesday was at least two hours long.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    He's has been the front man for major rock bands for over 20 years. If he was having problems hearing him self on stage I'm sure her has the experience and skillset to know how to address the issue. In an interview with Howard Stern a while back he did say that he liked to hit the wine bottle. From what it looks like here could be a bad reaction to booze and pills.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Soundboard recording from 4/30--Scott sounds much, much better here:
    https://soundcloud.com/always_ending...oard-recording

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    He sounds great here. Now I'm sure some genius will let us know this is not a legit live recording and it was touched up on a bus studio but this does give me hope for next Friday's show. I don't know much about hard drugs so if he was as bad off as people say,could he really have recovered in just a few days and turned things around 100%?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Those vocals are an absolute lie.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    He's has been the front man for major rock bands for over 20 years. If he was having problems hearing him self on stage I'm sure her has the experience and skillset to know how to address the issue. In an interview with Howard Stern a while back he did say that he liked to hit the wine bottle. From what it looks like here could be a bad reaction to booze and pills.
    I was thinking it was more: bad in-ear + tired and intoxicated = really spaced out performance.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    SW performed last night here in Memphis and a band I direct music videos for (Persevere) opened for them. They said he was in tune and on time and sounded fantastic.

People in the crowd were even talking about how great of a performance he put on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Holy shit, that was bad, the other guys in the band must honestly be wondering how long that bands gonna last if that's the show that gets put on

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm watching a Velvet Revolver DVD now, from their 2008 tour and it's pretty awesome. Too bad this band broke up.

Scott sounds and looks great. Velvet Revolver's two albums are a lot better than Slash's past few with Myles Kennedy or Scott's last one.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Myles Kennedy = a non-asshole version of Scott Stapp

Remember a few years ago when G n' R got inducted into the hall of fame and Slash had Myles sing the G n' R stuff because Axl wasn't there? Talk about a slap in the face to their legacy. I don't care for Slash or his maudlin solo bullshit
    I really liked Slash's first album, the one with multiple singers--Ozzy, Ian Astbury, Cornell, etc. Each singer brought something to the table and it was a true collaboration. Even the two with Kennedy were quite good. Slash's last two albums--they're not bad, but they are totally predictable. It's the same meat-and-potatoes hard-rock that Slash has been doing since the first Snakepit album, 20 years ago. Kennedy just enables Slash to be in his comfort zone. Slash needs someone like Weiland or Axl to help push him.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

New interview.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's like Scott is a different person on the Velvet Revolver DVD.... sounds amazing.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Man, it is really sad what's happened to Scott. I had the good fortune to see STP during their peak back in 2000 (they opened with "Dead and Bloated" and brought the house down; it was awesome) and also had the chance to see them in 08 and 09. In 08 it was very clear that Scott was drunk for about half the show (rambling incoherently, falling into the drum kit, screwing up lyrics) but then in the second half pulled it together. I remember at the time thinking, man, he's definitely not as good as he used to be, even in 09 when he (seemed to be) sober. But he still put on a good show, just not as good as he used to put on.

You know, when STP kicked him out a couple of years ago, I figured I probably wouldn't see them in concert anymore because, even though I understood why they had to do that, I just didn't really want to see them with a new singer. And I didn't want to see Scott playing STP songs with any other band (because I love those other guys, too, and it's just not the same without the four of them together). But now I've changed my mind. Though it still won't quite be the same, I am definitely going to see STP the next time they're in town. I would NEVER see Scott now. Ever. I'm sorry he's going through this and I hope he gets help but I have no interest in seeing him like this. I'd much rather see STP with a different singer who actually has energy and gives half a shit about putting on a good show.

Also, have been listening to "Purple" a lot the last few days. Such a great album. Still one of my favorite albums ever and my favorite from STP. If it weren't for "Army Ants" it would be a perfect album.
    Last edited by theruiner; 05-12-2015 at 08:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Another recent Weiland interview. Even someone who didn't know who he is would think "this guy is on something...."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm watching a Velvet Revolver DVD now, from their 2008 tour and it's pretty awesome. Too bad this band broke up.

Scott sounds and looks great. Velvet Revolver's two albums are a lot better than Slash's past few with Myles Kennedy or Scott's last one.
    Wow. The late 2000s were not good to him. He sounds great there. His run in STP must've killed him.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    If it weren't for "Army Ants" it would be a perfect album.
    Absolutely! I've been saying that for years and people always give me push back. Most STP fans seem to like that tune (even though it is an unfocused pile of dung). I also feel like "Ride The Cliche" has a similar effect on Tiny Music (i.e. one bad apple in a record full of gems).

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    Absolutely! I've been saying that for years and people always give me push back. Most STP fans seem to like that tune
    What the? I don't understand how anyone can like it. It's awful. It's the only track on the entire album that I would call filler. And it is BIG TIME filler.

I also feel like "Ride The Cliche" has a similar effect on Tiny Music (i.e. one bad apple in a record full of gems).
    I like that song but it's definitely not one of my favorites from the album (I used to say the same about "Seven Caged Tigers" and then one day that song clicked with me and now I love it). To me the only bad song on the whole album is "Art School Girl." BLEH. Awful. The verses are ok but the chorus completely ruins it. Every other song on there- every single one- is fantastic.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I like that song but it's definitely not one of my favorites from the album (I used to say the same about "Seven Caged Tigers" and then one day that song clicked with me and now I love it). To me the only bad song on the whole album is "Art School Girl." BLEH. Awful. The verses are ok but the chorus completely ruins it. Every other song on there- every single one- is fantastic.
    I have loved "Seven Caged Tigers" ever since they played it acoustic on Howard Stern (92.3 K-Rock) in 1997. As for "Art School Girlfriend", I think that song is dumb fun (ala Naked Sunday, Pretty Penny, Dumb Love).

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Scott has bipolar disorder alongside his obvious drinking problem. I think what's going really wrong here is that he is mixing the BD meds with the alcohol and apparently he's been doing that for several years at this point. I don't know how it hasn't caught up with him yet. He keeps claiming that he's not on any illicit drugs these days, but who really knows anymore? Dude needs help either way.
    Last edited by piggy; 05-13-2015 at 05:36 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Scott has bipolar disorder alongside his obvious drinking problem. I think what's going really wrong here is that he is mixing the BD meds with the alcohol and apparently he's been doing that for several years at this point. I don't know how it hasn't caught up with him yet. He keeps claiming that he's not on any illicit drugs these days, but who really knows anymore? Dude needs help either way.
    I don't know, I have an uncle who Weiland reminds me of. At some point, you just go near brain dead. I think that's where Weiland's at, the drugs have done their damage.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    That's a good point. He's put enough substances into his body by now that he can't be fully functional.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    I have loved "Seven Caged Tigers" ever since they played it acoustic on Howard Stern (92.3 K-Rock) in 1997. As for "Art School Girlfriend", I think that song is dumb fun (ala Naked Sunday, Pretty Penny, Dumb Love).
    I never listen to "Art School Girlfriend" randomly, but I think that it fits nicely on Tiny Music and is a fun, off-beat song. Love "Pretty Penny," very Zeppelin-esque. "Dumb Love" is a good song and gets SLDD off to a good start.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New-ish interview with Dean and Chester. They talk about the new album and the current state of rock:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Anyone buy Art of Anarchy's new self-titled album? It's alright. Not great, not bad. Sort of by-the-numbers late 90's/00's rock. I'm enjoying it, but it's not all that memorable. Good production, decent songs, Weiland makes it slightly better than your average middle-of-the-road modern rock album. I'd give it a 3/5. ETA--maybe 3.5/5 stars.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 06-06-2015 at 01:09 PM.