Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Radiohead

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    As I said above, they are the same takes as on The King of Limbs: From the Basement. They have been remastered specifically for this release, however; to my ears they have a bit more clarity but less dynamic range than the video versions. It's a passable substitute for real studio versions because these live takes still kick plenty of ass. The Basement version of "Supercollider" does that, also:

Last edited by botley; 12-20-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added video

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Memories

I feel like reminiscing about when Radiohead played on Saturday Night Live back in 2000, right after Kid A had been at number one on the Billboard chart. What a beautiful, culturally earth-shaking moment that was.

For me, it was Grade 8 and my second year at a combined middle/high school; I felt like an outcast, deathly insecure and looking for something meaningful to build my adolescent identity around (other than being the tallest kid in my class). Everything about Radiohead at that time spoke to me: their anti-corporate message, the strangeness of their sound, their plugged-in web presence, their concern for impending ecological catastrophe. I can vividly remember buying the record at HMV on Bloor Street on my way home from school on the same day it came out, and listening on the way home with my Sony Discman. It sounded like some of the most intense music I'd ever heard.

When they appeared on that TV screen and started up "The National Anthem", it sounded like a clarion call for the disaffected, depressed and desperate. The way they looked was important, too: Thom Yorke's digital wristwatch, his twitchy, wiry figure, his extremely-faded "Ne Pas Avaler" black T-shirt — it recalled Radiohead as they had been in the 90s, but through a vague delirium. Ed O'Brien was wringing eerie high-pitched screams from his guitar, Colin Greenwood was rending the air apart with this ungodly roaring riff, Phil Selway drummed like a whirling funk dervish, and Jonny... what on EARTH was Jonny doing in that corner of his?

Two nights later they played in Toronto at the newly-opened Air Canada Centre on my fourteenth birthday. I couldn't get tickets but I listened to a webcast of the concert online. Thom would launch into mini-tirades in between each song about the corporate logos plastered around the venue, stuff like "this song is brought to you courtesy of Pizza Pizza". It was a captivating performance.

But really nothing could compare to that incredibly odd and heart-pounding sight of the band debuting "Idioteque" on live television. It was like the experimental music I had been checking out (Squarepusher and Autechre were on Nothing Records at that time, which is how I found out about them), but taken into an exciting and appealing sphere of public invasion. You could just about sing and dance along to it, there were even vocal harmonies on the chorus, but it was sinister and weird and spooky. To say the least, it was eye-opening to watch the finale with Thom frantically thrashing around in front of the microphone before knocking it to the ground just as the band suddenly halted.

What a perfect marriage that was — progressive sound, progressive attitude and progressive vision. It was punk rock! It was ambient! It was mainstream! It was avant-garde! It was better than all of those things. For one brief moment they were undeniably the best band in the world. They were in touch with where music was going, where society was going, where I was going. It was wonderful.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    great reminiscing. that's the radiohead i revere and sorely miss!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm not saying they are better or worse now; in fact, I think that after some missteps in the past decade, they've matured into a pretty groovy rhythm-based rock band again, with electronic and jazz influences. It'll be exciting to see them on tour this year if they stop nearby. What is no longer applicable from that period is the extra-musical stuff all really coming together to support and strengthen what they were doing on that record. For my money, they're still prophets of the music religion.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i'm still watching what they do very closely, i just haven't felt connected to their albums since the times you're reminiscning about. i no longer find them to be constantly pushing the envelope or writing material that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, with very few exceptions (videotape). my own experiences were similar though, though a few years earlier. i remember them from the 'creep' days--- the scott walker angsty teen rock record. i liked them ok (i was far more into the smashing pumpkins at the time), but picked up the bends when it was picking up critical favor and was immediately stricken. as a childhood fan of u2 and the more unconventional side of the bowie spectrum, the bends opened up the door and ok computer walked right through it, and it blew my 15 year old mind. while i loved the soaring guitars and europeon electronic hybrid on that breakthrough, my tastes were shifting drastically to synths... new wave, krautrock, the works by the time kid a came out and i was in college. while many found it a radical departure, it certainly was exactly what i was looking for at the time, as was the follow up.

i think you nailed my feelings with the jazz/groove comparison above. with very few exceptions (i can only handle a handful of "no wave" bands, even), that's never been my thing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Caught King of Limbs From the Basement on TV the other night. Bloody amazing performance. Even the couple of tracks I didn't dig on the album sounded fantastic. Amnesiac and Kid A are still my top RH albums, but "Bloom", "Supercollider" and "The Butcher" have shot up my top tracks list.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    02-27 Miami, FL - American Airlines Arena *
    02-29 Tampa, FL - St. Pete Times Forum *
    03-01 Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena *
    03-03 Houston, TX - Toyota Center *
    03-05 Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center *
    03-07 Austin, TX - Frank Erwin Center *
    03-09 St. Louis, MO - Scottrade Center *
    03-11 Kansas City, MO - Sprint Center *
    03-13 Broomfield, CO - 1st Bank Center *
    03-15 Glendale, AZ - Jobing.com Arena *
    04-09 Seattle, WA - Key Arena *
    04-11 San Jose, CA - HP Pavilion *
    04-12 Santa Barbara, CA - Santa Barbara Bowl *
    04-14 Indio, CA - Coachella
    04-17 Mexico City, Mexico - Foro Sol *#
    04-18 Mexico City, Mexico - Foro Sol *#
    04-21 Indio, CA - Coachella
    06-30 Rome, Italy - Hyppodrome Capanelle
    07-01 Florence, Italy - Parco Delle Cascine
    07-03 Bologna, Italy - Piazza Maggiore
    07-04 Codroipo, Italy - Villa Manin
    07-06 Berlin, Germany - Wuhlheide
    07-07 Berlin, Germany - Wuhlheide
    07-10 Nimes, France - Les Arenes #
    07-11 Nimes, France - Les Arenes #
    07-13 Kobetamendi Park, Spain - Bilbao BBK Live
    07-15 Lisbon, Portugal - Optimus Alive Fest
    07-25 Taipei, Taiwan - Nanang Exhibition Hall

* with Other Lives
    # with Caribou

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rumor has it the new Atom's for peace album is coming soon. If its anything like the Erasure album we will have a great album. IMO The Erasure> anything Radiohead has made since Kid A

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    ... the album is not called Erasure. It's very good... but I wouldn't say The Eraser is better than Amnesiac... which I like better than Kid A.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    yeah Amnesiac is a better album. I tend to forget that one even though it has such great songs. The only song i would drop from amnesiac is morning bell/Amnesiac . To be honest amnesiac was the album that got me into radiohead. It had songs that just clicked instantly- Life in A glass house , I might be wrong. My favorite from that album is dollars and cents, and a close second is life in a glass house. Still my favorite is Ok Computer. Cliche answer but I love OK computer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Looks like the new Thom Yorke album cover Art.
    http://www.slowlydownward.com/nonews.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Where would I be able to get hold of a download of all of Radiohead's b-sides/rarities/bonus tracks/EPs?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jarj View Post
    Where would I be able to get hold of a download of all of Radiohead's b-sides/rarities/bonus tracks/EPs?

No where, they deserve to be bought, tightass.

I kid, I think there was a good torrent that had all of their b-sides, demos and other goodies on Pirate bay. Don't hold me me true to that word though. I downloaded it some time ago.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jarj View Post
    Itunes I think has everything...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    90%+ of catalogue digital sales for a band like Radiohead goes to the record company they're not on anymore. Buy their new stuff but steal the old stuff.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So, did anyone else order the Live From The Basement blu-ray from Radiohead's website? I'm hearing that they sent everyone in North America region locked PAL blu-rays, and instead of exchanging it for NTSC, are giving refunds and saying that there won't be an NTSC version.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The climax of this song live is outrageous. Atoms for peace live was such a great live show.

!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Debut a new song on first night of tour. Fans create AMAZING multi-cam bootleg and upload it before the second show even happens.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    So, did anyone else order the Live From The Basement blu-ray from Radiohead's website? I'm hearing that they sent everyone in North America region locked PAL blu-rays, and instead of exchanging it for NTSC, are giving refunds and saying that there won't be an NTSC version.
    Wow... I just saw this. I bought the King of Limbs in the basement blu ray, but hadn't watched it yet. I just put it in the player and yeah, you're right, it's not playing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Apparently it won't work with most US blu-ray players. Anything Sony, especially PS3, forget it. There's some others that aren't compatible either. It isn't region locked per se, it's that it's running at 50Hz signal, which is the standard for Europe, and not many US players can convert the 50Hz signal to the normal US 60Hz signal that players and TVs can read. Though I've heard dirt cheap Insignia will play it so yeah, just takes a bit of research. I ordered it the other day before looking into it. Hopefully my LG player will do it. If not...i've got a fancy coaster until I buy a new player.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    perhaps i should do my own research, but what's the story behind These are my twisted words? thought it sounded fitting for tKoL but they chose to drop it...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    perhaps i should do my own research, but what's the story behind These are my twisted words? thought it sounded fitting for tKoL but they chose to drop it...
    It actually dates from the In Rainbows era. Doesn't really fit with Ko'Limbs stylistically (being primarily guitar-based and live-rhythm heavy).

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It actually dates from the In Rainbows era. Doesn't really fit with Ko'Limbs stylistically (being primarily guitar-based and live-rhythm heavy).
    The production style of it is really different too... the tone is harsher and raw. I like the track alright, but I don't think it fits on KoL at all.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    botley,
    but how do you know about it being from IR era? i'm pretty sure this song wasn't even hinted anywhere (website, soundchecks etc.) before its sudden leak, at least not before some other TKOL songs debuted at Thom/AfP shows
    (well, it's all according to CitizenInsane, which tends to be pretty anal about tracing radiohead songs roots.)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I view Twisted Words as definitely a precursor to the King Of Limbs era. I mean, after all, the artwork for it was a ton of tree limbs.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    They always have songs floating around. I believe "Nude" was written during the OK Computer sessions and they released the song 11 years later. These guys are always writing so who knows when they actually wrote these. I'm seeing them tomorrow night and Houston and in Austin on Wednesday. Really like these setlists coming out. Hoping we get "There There", "Pyramid Song", "15 Step" "Karma Police". I could do with out "Street Spirit", fuck that song.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I could do with out "Street Spirit", fuck that song.
    WHAT DID THAT SONG EVER DO TO YOU!?!?!?!?!?!?

But seriously, what do you not like about that song? It's my favorite on The Bends.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    WHAT DID THAT SONG EVER DO TO YOU!?!?!?!?!?!?

But seriously, what do you not like about that song? It's my favorite on The Bends.
    Never liked it, always thought it was a bad song to end The Bends, which is an album that I think is one of the most overrated LP's ever, and Radiohead's my favorite band. I don't like the tone of it, the lyrics are meh, and it feels like it goes on forever. I had to hear it the last time I saw them and I was pissed, then they played "Planet Telex" and suddenly everything was better. I don't hate The Bends as much as I used to, but I think it's probably my third least favorite album from them, Pablo Honey being the worst, followed by King of Limbs.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    As excited as I am to see them next Sunday, there's a little ounce of me slightly disappointed that the setlists so far seem to be pretty much the same songs they played the last time I saw them, except switch out In Rainbows in it's entirety, for King Of Limbs in it's entirety. It's a great setlist regardless, but I was kind of hoping for a few more rarities since I remember someone in the band saying that's what they were aiming for. I'll quit my bitching though because it's going to be an amazing show. I love the hell out of KOL and can't wait to hear it live.