101 Post(s)
    No worries. I got more facepalms then you

Post-Boston Islamophobic has begun.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    No worries. I got more facepalms then you

Post-Boston Islamophobic has begun.
    Stupid fucking tribalism strikes again. How are the criminals (alleged) different than me?.... FOUND SOMETHING! IT MUST BE THE REASON THEY DID THIS! ATTACK THE DIFFERENCE!

That difference can be "from a foreign country" or "gun owner" or "Islamic" or whatever the fuck these idiots think they can dig up that must be THE PROBLEM. It happens from right and left.

I think every muslim should be armed with some sort of self defense for a while. Shit is ridiculous.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Great article! Mostly... Shame he had to plug the gun-reform mention in there which runs counter to every point he was making. He didn't even mention CISPA slipping in while he was on that topic. I agree with the spirt of rights being infringed but to say that we have given up "most" of them since 9/11 is a little hyperbolic. I don't think the entire country was in a panic either, just very excited and wrapped up in the story. Overall, it's nice to see people thinking about it from this angle. I hope it becomes much more common.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I've been out of town since the Thursday before this mess and I'm sort of not looking forward to going back to Massachusetts. All the chest thumping patriotism and we are invincible sport-fan attitude that is in the blood of so many up there gets me thinking that we are going to lose sight of some of the important lessons here, not the rah rah don't fuck with Boston crap.

Ugh - I hope that kid lives.. We need to learn from this.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I have not agreed with the people claiming significant rights violations with the house-to-house raids that occurred. After seeing this video I am starting to question it...

That sure didn't look voluntary. It seemed pretty over the top. The means certainly didn't justify the ends either (the police never found him).

Thoughts after watching this?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    There's little background info.
    Did they receive a tip for that particular house. Was this protocol for every houses being searched?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    There's little background info.
    Did they receive a tip for that particular house. Was this protocol for every houses being searched?
    It definitely wasn't protocol for EVERY house, based on what I saw. Not sure how many houses we searched in this manner though. These house-to-house searches were supposed to be consent based. Sure, people were probably shitting themselves while giving consent but.. it's still consent.

I am pretty sure a tip doesn't allow police to pull you out of your house at gunpoint though. Warrant/consent is still needed. There is definitely not enough info to make a sound conclusion but it's the first video that made me question things. I'm surprised there weren't any citizens who objected to a search (how many houses were searched?). I'm curious how the police would have responded to that... I am guessing "exigent circumstances" in those situations.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 04-21-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    What do you mean? I'm not trying to be a douche, just saying that his ability to talk getting fucked up in the process of getting him to stop shooting at people doesn't mean he can't communicate. I didn't mean "getting info out of him" as I'm cool with torture or some shit

Edit: the quotations around talk were meant for if he can't actually speak. Not torture him until he says whatever people want him to.
    well...i thought it was pretty damn funny.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^ That article title is incorrect. Whoever chose it is an idiot because in the article, they say he's still recuperating and unable to speak.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Huh? It says he's responding in writing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Huh? It says he's responding in writing.
    They must have updated it some time after I posted.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Amanda Palmer weighs in, self-combusts: http://gawker.com/amanda-palmers-a-p...poem-476820444

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That "poem" is insanely terrible.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Amanda Palmer weighs in, self-combusts: http://gawker.com/amanda-palmers-a-p...poem-476820444
    Yeah, things are getting a bit weird for her. She lives in the Boston area and I'm pretty darn sure, based on her twitter feed that she didn't stay home Friday.

Though, I have to say, the flag waving covers up the more interesting story about general humanity and everyone's reaction to it - more to come I'm sure.

Westboro Church is coming to some funerals. I don't have empathy for them.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    This makes all of my poetry awesome now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I learned long ago not to listen to Amanda Palmer if there isn't a piano in front of her.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    one of he big reasons there were so many people who were incredibly skeptical of the 9/11 attacks. But... once again, WTC bombing would have been negligence instead of an intentional act.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    So the White House is says they are going to try the kid for use of a WMD... Does that mean Iraq actually had WMD's now? Since when is an IED a WMD?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Maybe it was the only way to put him on death row since Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    So the White House is says they are going to try the kid for use of a WMD... Does that mean Iraq actually had WMD's now? Since when is an IED a WMD?
    In domestic law pretty much any kind of bomb qualifies as WMD. The term WMD in the sort of context you heard Bush throw it around in is foreign policy ie international.

So for domestic law, a weapon of mass destruction is something that can kill a load of people and damage a load of property, within an international relations context it's something that can seriously damage/destroy cities and/or thousands of people

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Both suspects did not have gun licenses

One of those gun show loopholes?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Now there's photographs of their fucking mother all over the press. Fun to be her eh.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Both suspects did not have gun licenses

One of those gun show loopholes?
    Maybe but, probably more likely because they lived in what is commonly referred to as the People's Republic of Cambridge. It probably takes an act of gawd to get one there.

Massachusetts licensing is one of the strictest. I'm told that if the town police chief things you look weird, you can not get a license to carry.

As for Amanda Palmer. Yes, she might be a wee bit over the top, but she means well and is completely a product of her environment. I read today that as you get older (yeah - I'm looking at a lot of you) we actually are more empathetic. That totally doesn't explain the American wing nuts, but I can't admonish Amanda for trying to make a point (as I sort of tried) that all this flag waving isn't the point. Two kids, who were immersed in American, and more narrowly, New England society, decided to slip off thinking that blowing up people was going to prove something. More personally, that what appears to be an older brother taking advantage of a younger brother's hero worship to do what he wanted (assumptions all around -but what my little mind is thinking right now).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Can you imagine if the guy had been sitting in his chair at the time of the shooting.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That person was ballsy as hell to get all those pictures. Most of the comments on there are, not surprisingly, retarded.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    That person was ballsy as hell to get all those pictures. Most of the comments on there are, not surprisingly, retarded.
    "The photographer could have shot them" Wow, how idiotic an idea is that? With that many armed police just down the street you do NOT want to be whipping out any firearm even if you are pointing at the "bad guys". God, I hope there aren't mobs of dumb people thinking this.

Having said that, I agree, just standing in a window during this is a ballsy move.