Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost BC

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Got my tix. Nice to be excited about an opening act!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just read this guy's post on another message board (Metal Sludge), could it be true?

"The rumour coming out of Sweden is that ALL 5 of the Nameless Ghouls in Ghost have been 'released from their contracts.'

2 of these guys (keys and guitar) have been with the band since day one. Another 2 (drums and bass, latterly guitar) joined for the start of the Meliora tour. Another guy who has been in since the start (guitar) was let go before the last U.S. run.

Papa has always solely owned the name, and the others have been to all intents and purposes hired guns since they switched to new management before Infestissuman, the second record, came out.

The word is that the rest of the band got increasingly fed up during the summer dates in Europe last year, nobody particularly wanted to do the Popestar EP, or do another 6 weeks touring it around America. Apart from the management, that is, and to a lesser extent Papa. The U.S tour in October and November was mostly spent bored and homesick, with the rest of the group barely interacting with Papa away from the stage. Band contracts expired on the 31st December, and none have been renewed.

There were no blazing rows, it just ended with a shrug. Very Swedish!

The next time you see Ghost, either in Europe in March/April, or supporting Maiden, it will be with a complete new backing band. They have some BIG venues booked, and the funny thing is, 90% of their existing fanbase either won't know or won't care! The internet crazies they attract will have a field day though.

It's a shame, but I'm interested to see and hear what happens next. Papa is, and has always been, the driving force.

Fuck scab Ghost!

(P.S If you want the real names of these people, they're only a google away. Some here will know them already."

http://forums.metalsludge.tv/forums/...cf8f89de417f19

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I ask this honestly, and I am seriously not trying to denigrate anything here...

But do you guys actually enjoy listening to this music without the visual accompaniment? Doesn't the musical aspect kind of flounder and register as pretty generic and bland? If it weren't for this anonymous black metal pope frontman, wouldn't this band be mostly ignored?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Everybody ignore this detractor (even if he seems like a pretty cool guy) and look at my post above!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Gotta take that with a huge grain of salt if it came from the Sludge. Releasing the ENTIRE band seems like a bit of a stretch no?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Well KISS has done it a bunch of times, the only difference it's that it wasn't "secret"...

But jokes aside; sounds like BS to me, i bet they have released someone before, but the whole band?!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I ask this honestly, and I am seriously not trying to denigrate anything here...

But do you guys actually enjoy listening to this music without the visual accompaniment? Doesn't the musical aspect kind of flounder and register as pretty generic and bland? If it weren't for this anonymous black metal pope frontman, wouldn't this band be mostly ignored?
    I do, it is good rock music with a good theatrical presence. Its entertainment, and they never take themselves seriously. Which is why I think the thing about the band leaving probably false.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dunno guys, I kinda believe it. They tour a lot and it's not for everybody. Either way, I'll know for sure when I go see them for the 4th time this summer.
    Last edited by Maximilian; 01-27-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Dunno guys, I kinda believe it. They tour a lot and it's not for everybody. Either way, I'll know for sure when I go see them for the 4th time this summer.
    All I know is when I go on vacation and have to do a day or two of traveling on airplanes and busses and trains, I get sick of it fast. And my life long dream when I was younger was to be a rockstar. I look back at it now and think I couldn't hack the touring aspect of it, traveling around a lot really does take a toll on you eventually. I'm actually surprised at the rate these guys tour. I literally just said to my girlfriend the other day when I saw the Maiden dates "These guys just don't stop touring, ever. A normal band will tour for a year to a year and a half straight and then call it quits for like 2 years, make a new album and then go back on the road, but these guys don't know how to do that. They tour every 2-3 months"

So, this doesn't surprise me either. Papa has those nameless ghouls working overtime. But, in the end, what does it matter who plays the music live, as long as A) The music doesn't suffer and B) They still tour. We'll never know the difference.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

It seems the the rumors of the band being let go are true. Martin( former and founding Omega) is putting back Manga Carta Cartel with the other former ghouls. I am not freaking out over it like the rest of the Ghost fan base, but I guess I am curious to see where the new Ghost music goes.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Hmm - I do wonder how this will pan out. I can understand if the band - as it was - just got sick of all the touring. Of course this need not affect the Ghost 'brand' and ultimately they'll continue to do well I'm sure, all the time they have the same singer and main songwriter, but I wonder how happy he is with all this? Presumably he's tied down, contract wise, where the others weren't.
    The thing for me is that despite all the theatrics and the image (which I do love), there was a really good live band behind it all. It was seeing them live back in 2012 that got me into them, but looking at the live band now I don't feel like there's the same dynamic there. Losing that old rhythm section was a particular shame. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the quality can be kept high, but it will also be interesting to see what former members can come up with. I don't think I heard MCC before, but the Subvision record was good, with some clear hints of Ghost in there.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    but looking at the live band now I don't feel like there's the same dynamic there. .
    This right here.

I still Love Ghost despite the politics that are going on behind closed doors, but I do have to agree that the band isn't the same as it used to be (well, obviously... I don't mean this in a figurative way either with papa "firing" all the members), but the 2016 Ghost just didn't have the same OOMPH that seeing Ghost back in 2013 did. Like I said, I still love the "band" (if you want to even call it that anymore), but you can tell the dynamics of it have changed. I was never a fan of the whole "firing of papa shtick", I thought that was very gimmicky. Who knows, this might all be part of the master plan. I just hope the music doesn't suffer. I generally think that Ghost is some of the best stuff to come out in the music industry since the 90s ended. Ghost is easily in my top 5 musical acts of all time, and this is based on the music. People always say this band would be nothing if it wasn't for their theatrics, not true. The music can hold an audience on it's own. The costumes only add to the mystery of it.

I guess at the end of the day, I don't really care who plays the instruments live, as long as the quality of music doesn't suffer.

I wonder if papa IV and a brand new set of nameless ghouls are going to be introduced before the Iron Maiden tour or if they're just going to use the "old" band and papa. Would make sense to do the change over now instead of waiting for a new record.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    This right here.

I still Love Ghost despite the politics that are going on behind closed doors, but I do have to agree that the band isn't the same as it used to be (well, obviously... I don't mean this in a figurative way either with papa "firing" all the members), but the 2016 Ghost just didn't have the same OOMPH that seeing Ghost back in 2013 did. Like I said, I still love the "band" (if you want to even call it that anymore), but you can tell the dynamics of it have changed. I was never a fan of the whole "firing of papa shtick", I thought that was very gimmicky. Who knows, this might all be part of the master plan. I just hope the music doesn't suffer. I generally think that Ghost is some of the best stuff to come out in the music industry since the 90s ended. Ghost is easily in my top 5 musical acts of all time, and this is based on the music. People always say this band would be nothing if it wasn't for their theatrics, not true. The music can hold an audience on it's own. The costumes only add to the mystery of it.

I guess at the end of the day, I don't really care who plays the instruments live, as long as the quality of music doesn't suffer.

I wonder if papa IV and a brand new set of nameless ghouls are going to be introduced before the Iron Maiden tour or if they're just going to use the "old" band and papa. Would make sense to do the change over now instead of waiting for a new record.
    I'd be surprised if they started the new papa act supporting Iron Maiden, unless the new record is finished.

But I'm guessing it's an extension of the popestar run.

Hopefully all this isn't the downhill point for ghost.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I think the band will continue to prosper. I doubt they'll lose their sound. I dig Magna Carta Cartel but Ghost is leagues better.

New Ghouls will add maybe even new variety and energy into the band for all we know!

I'm sure it'll be Papa Emeritus III and the current incarnation of the band. They're undoubtedly waiting for a headline/solo tour to reveal the new Papa.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Meh, If I were one of the Ghouls from the last round, I would have made a scene about the touring schedule as well. Those guys have been going nonstop for almost 2 years straight. I was shocked to see the Popestar Europe spring extension AND then the Iron Maiden tour to top it all off.

Think about how many other bands these days are just 1 main guy and hired goons. I guess it's not that big of a deal, not like we knew who these people were anyway. If it wasn't for these rumors that came out publicly, none of us would have even noticed and we would have gone on as though nothing happened.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    If it wasn't for these rumors that came out publicly, none of us would have even noticed and we would have gone on as though nothing happened.
    Thats the beauty of anonymity here. Without rumors stated here you wouldn't even know the band changes. It's just a shame info, identities and other shit leaks out to ruin it all.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    All I hear is a wannabe Year Zero sound coming out of that guitar and vocal delivery.

On topic, you have no idea how badly I wanna hear Ghost cover some songs that I think they'd nail.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I feel like a hypocrite posting this but

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    That kinda tarnishes the band for me really.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I hope they settle; either you are "Team Martin" or "Team Tobias" and in the end it's only hurting their music...

I'm looking forward to the 4th album and new MCC.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Hope this blows over fast and as early as possible. Seeing the band last year wants me to see them continue onwards. Sucks to hear this happening though!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Sucks to hear there's so much turmoil going on behind the scenes. That said, I'm still going to buy any new material they release and catch them on tour this summer. I hope people can look past these legal issues and still get into the fun escapism that is Ghost.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I still could.But, at the same time, if proven that Tobias is a cheap fuck, hard to respect that.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Yeah, I really like their music, but this leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, MCC is sounds pretty good, but I'm still bummed that one of my favorite new bands might already be starting it's downfall....

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
    Yeah, MCC is sounds pretty good, but I'm still bummed that one of my favorite new bands might already be starting it's downfall....
    Its not. Read this!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tob...med-as-a-band/

Papa has things under control. I learned a lot in reading that article.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Its not. Read this!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tob...med-as-a-band/

Papa has things under control. I learned a lot in reading that article.
    Yah, I read that. It is certainly encouraging. Cheers!