Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Work

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Reading about all ya'lls horror stories makes me appreciate my job, which I sometimes take for granted how good I got it. Having a shit job is fucking torture. Been there.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So Im getting the cool jerk at work, again. I guess this is what happens when you don't kiss ass. I really need to get out of cooking but it's the only thing I've done for the past 15 years or so. I still need to talk to my Chef about it but I think it's time to move on to something at least better paying for the shit i have to put up with. For the time being ill stay as it's a 4 minute walk from my apartment. Though living here where there is always like 5 new places opening somehow I'm not worried about finding work just something ill enjoy more than topping tacos and face palming all the newbs we keep pulling in every other week.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It took me so long to fully realize how important networking was when it came to looking for work, and even while you're working. This also reminds me to work on my resume while working, while making sure to hold onto any business cards I receive as it makes it easier to provide the necessary information for it. While I still had help along the way, I thought I could just be at a point where I could always do it on my own. I also forgot if there was a job search thread, or have just guessed that perhaps it just got merged into the work thread. Anyway, I just thought of hopefully and gradually building a network in real life and the Internet, especially on Facebook and Twitter as the majority of people I know in real life are on those sites.

I also don't have much to say about these particular topics of my life, nor do I have that much to be proud of, but after having a few years spent going back to college, and some family vacations and gatherings that put my job search on hold after I was done with school, it just really hit me after I observed how lots of people I knew actually just bypassed interviews and started working just from simply having connections. It should have hit me when I also experienced that same exact thing from my first real full-time job. I need all the help I can get anyway, and just felt like venting that in this thread.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 12-16-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    [redacted]
    Last edited by playwithfire; 11-13-2022 at 12:53 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    It took me so long to fully realize how important networking was when it came to looking for work, and even while you're working. This also reminds me to work on my resume while working, while making sure to hold onto any business cards I receive as it makes it easier to provide the necessary information for it. While I still had help along the way, I thought I could just be at a point where I could always do it on my own. I also forgot if there was a job search thread, or have just guessed that perhaps it just got merged into the work thread. Anyway, I just thought of hopefully and gradually building a network in real life and the Internet, especially on Facebook and Twitter as the majority of people I know in real life are on those sites.

I also don't have much to say about these particular topics of my life, nor do I have that much to be proud of, but after having a few years spent going back to college, and some family vacations and gatherings that put my job search on hold after I was done with school, it just really hit me after I observed how lots of people I knew actually just bypassed interviews and started working just from simply have connections. It should have hit me when I also experienced that same exact thing from my first real full-time job. I need all the help I can get anyway, and just felt like venting that in this thread.
    THIS IS SO TRUE. All my positions, I got because someone said "oh she'd be good at that - tell her about the open position". Now, I have to actively search and work my network, which I have sort of neglected a bit. Lesson: never stop connecting with people in any and every way: social media, in person, etc etc. The key also is to help someone out before they ask. Eventually, they will or someone they know will help you out. Even if it's just a conversation that you'd like to have to learn more about something, not necessarily 'job' related.

Meanwhile, I preach well, but am slogging away not really working hard enough to find a new position. I need more of a threat I think, like living under a bridge.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    [redacted]
    Last edited by playwithfire; 11-13-2022 at 12:54 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I have horrible public speaking anxiety and I have a presentation to give in our board room in the next half hour. Even with some xanax, my nerves are still getting to me. =/

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I have horrible public speaking anxiety and I have a presentation to give in our board room in the next half hour. Even with some xanax, my nerves are still getting to me. =/
    I use to have that my entire life until, for whatever reason, I just stopped giving as much of a shit and my presentations went a lot better(I have to do presentations at work every couple weeks). Part of it was I just realized that most of the people in the room have to present too, and when they see me up there they're as bored or indifferent as I am when I see them. Somehow that kind of helped me get over it. I just go up there thinking along the lines of "Oh, who gives a fuck" and just speak naturally. I joke around a bit, and put some movie clips and stupid pictures in my presentation text/reel-thing as examples of what I'm taking about, and people seem to appreciate that as a break in the monotony.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I use to have that my entire life until, for whatever reason, I just stopped giving as much of a shit and my presentations went a lot better(I have to do presentations at work every couple weeks). Part of it was I just realized that most of the people in the room have to present too, and when they see me up there they're as bored or indifferent as I am when I see them. Somehow that kind of helped me get over it. I just go up there thinking along the lines of "Oh, who gives a fuck" and just speak naturally. I joke around a bit, and put some movie clips and stupid pictures in my presentation text/reel-thing as examples of what I'm taking about, and people seem to appreciate that as a break in the monotony.
    That's a great way of looking at it! Thanks!!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I need a new job. Applying, applying, applying.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Had nothing to do all day today at work, So i cataloged music onto Discogs. Kinda cool that i am able to do something interesting / that I like while at the office.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    0530 start time tomorrow. Wednesday is gonna suck.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'm getting pulled into my old bad habit of feeling responsible for EVERYTHING bad that happens. Latest example is discovering a late design problem that the client is truly responsible for but because we've already started hardware on the line and I hadn't flagged the problem earlier (as I could have, but not necessarily should have), we may have to stop product on the line to wait for a design fix. I keep coming back to "had I only raised a red flag earlier this would not have happened". I feel like I owe the business something for this kind of mess up, but again...it's not really my mistake! Ugh.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    I'm getting pulled into my old bad habit of feeling responsible for EVERYTHING bad that happens. Latest example is discovering a late design problem that the client is truly responsible for but because we've already started hardware on the line and I hadn't flagged the problem earlier (as I could have, but not necessarily should have), we may have to stop product on the line to wait for a design fix. I keep coming back to "had I only raised a red flag earlier this would not have happened". I feel like I owe the business something for this kind of mess up, but again...it's not really my mistake! Ugh.
    Yeah, you need to spin that one around in your head. Not blame the customer, but in your mind, assign responsibility to them so that you won't feel like you own it. I mean really, are you saying that you noticed the issue way back when and didn't bring it up intentionally?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Time to coast till 5...

Hurry up weekend!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Yeah, you need to spin that one around in your head. Not blame the customer, but in your mind, assign responsibility to them so that you won't feel like you own it. I mean really, are you saying that you noticed the issue way back when and didn't bring it up intentionally?
    No, it was that I didn't notice it when I could have noticed it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    My boss sometimes uses up to FOUR exclamation marks in her emails and although it's supposed to appear enthusiastic, it...mostly looks like desperation to me.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    My boss sometimes uses up to FOUR exclamation marks in her emails and although it's supposed to appear enthusiastic, it...mostly looks like desperation to me.
    Yes. It's a bit like using emoticons in email or business texts. Just don't do it people.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    So I dunno if it's premature
    because I haven't seen a contract yet or anything
    but I got offered a job today

wow

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    so i dunno if it's premature
    because i haven't seen a contract yet or anything
    but i got offered a job today

wow
    HOLY CRAP I hope it works out!!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Woke up to a text about the food order. Forgot about one, produce. All I could say to chef was yes I hit one, not the other. Anxiety level max until I saw him. He doesn't yell or freak but still this man is a beast, in his way. It ended up being okay. However, being as work/cooking in the one thing I give a fuck about had my balls in my throat. It's kinda of disorganized (overall) yet but still...
    At the same time I like my job and dude. Not my ideal way to wake up though. Text message and all ... Yes, I fucked up was all I could say. That said, after my balls dropped, same as puberty, the day went okay.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 02-17-2015 at 02:42 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I really dislike LinkedIn's new front page. I feel like I'm on Facebook... THIS IS NOT FACEBOOK.

Oh, and I had a telephone interview today that I clearly nailed since I'm talking to another person tomorrow. Winning. (for the moment)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I was going to post this in the Cheery Things thread, yet this doesn't actually REALLY cheer me up THAT much. I got the job as bar tender at a brew pub here in town and I'm definitely grateful for the job and looking forward to working there. I'm looking forward to being able to save up some damn money for once out of my last three years from college, since I'll be living with my dad for these summer months (woot rent free!) It will be a lot less annoying because I'll be able to spend a lot more time outside the house and I've actually made a friend in this damn town.

As much as I want to run away from this place as soon as a possible, I realize that this is going to benefit me for the long term a lot more than if I just leave...I hate that I'm being responsible....Summer in Vermont is to fucking magical so it really helps a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to say I have a job in the restaurant biz as well. I work as a cook making pizzas at an upbeat Italian place. It's crazy. I've been working here for as long as I can remember. I've worked at different places but none have really been that special except for this one. Maybe it's that first job feel. Even when I left for school I had to keep in the flow of things. From what I've seen, make it fun and enjoyable and there isn't ever a bad job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Teaching art in the high school today, so BORED out of my mind in first hour. This is a small class comprised mostly of seniors and it is the end of the year so getting these guys inspired is not happening at the moment and prom is around the corner in like 9 or 10 days so.......
    Last edited by Melancholygrl78; 04-01-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good thing my planning period is fourth hour...I am starving. Laterrrzzzz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First hour is planning hour. I have everything done and done and done...what's to do except twiddle my thumbs? I have been thinking that by the time I reach my 50s, I want to be working as a professor in human development. University of OK, AR, KC, NM, or somewhere on the east coast. North Carolina comes to mind. I have always wanted to live there. My older years are going to be quite interesting! That is why I chose an erudite field. As time goes by, it just gets better and better. I love to teach, write, and speak to groups of people(surprisingly, I just discovered this fact about myself recently). That probably sounds boring to some. I feel fairly confident that I was put on this earth to do these things.

Eventually, I want to also be the spokeswoman for an organization that I plan on forming, myself (an all encompassing resource connecting service for single mothers). And, I also have a piece of legislation sitting on my desk at home I want to present regarding neonatal echocardiograms. I have so many plans that I cannot even talk about right now. Everyday something else gets tacked onto my bucket list, but it seems to be all work related. This is why I cannot even stand myself right now because I am antsy to get something else done right now. I cannot stand being stuck in one place and my mind races so fast with all sorts of ideas that I cannot get out fast enough to turn them into tangible projects, sometimes...such an affliction. I see all these people around me that don't even think about anything other than going home or what to cook for dinner or when they have to get their nails done...I don't understand them. I don't mind seeming like a plain Jane. I know what I was put on earth to do and that is to make impossible things happen. I walk alone and that is okay. I can handle it. I am walking strength.

Oh...and I had a lot of coffee this morning. I mean...a lot. I have a new creamer called southern butter pecan and it is the shizzzznizzz, buddy. Yep!
    Last edited by Melancholygrl78; 04-02-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    As of last week no more night shift, yay! Just got my voluntary redundancy money so on a break from work at the moment.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Applied for a new job today and was accepted! I start Thursday.

This has happened on the 5 year anniversary, to the day, of Peter Steele from Type O Negative's passing. He's looking out for me
    from Valhalla!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Really not feeling this school year. Hoping this subsides...only got about 30 years of work left. :/