Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013.08.02 - Chicago, Illinois @ Lollapalooza

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Lolla tickets haven't been mailed yet, so all you'd be buying right now is a promise. I'm in the same boat looking for a ticket, but it's way too early to get worried about it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I picked up 2 1-day passes each for Friday and Sunday for me and my daughter. My husband then announces that he might want to go visit his relatives that weekend and take my daughter. So there is a *small* chance that I"ll have to sell, but no way to know till about mid May. If I do, I will sell mine at face, but I hope to be there. We went in 2008 and want to be there this time.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    ^^^^ First dibs!!! :P

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'd definitely take one if you end up not needing it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Okay if I have to let them go I'll let you guys know.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    I'm looking for 2 more tickets for a couple friends for the Friday August 2 show. PM me if you have any to spare. Willing to spend $150 each. I can paypal or meet before the show.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Lollapalooza is almost certain to be brutally hot at least part of the weekend. it's like that every year. it's a very tough day to slog through.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    For those that got them- when are wristbands supposed to be delivered?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    For those that got them- when are wristbands supposed to be delivered?
    The bottom of the confirmation e-mail says "Lollapalooza orders will be shipped via UPS Ground beginning June 2013. Signature is required for delivery. No PO Boxes and UPS will e-mail you a tracking number when package ships."

So, guess beginning of June it is. I always have bad luck with the mail, so hope everything goes smoothly with my mailing of my package.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Lollapalooza announced their set times today.

Nine Inch Nails will go on Stage Friday, August 2nd for 8:15-10:00.
    Not bad, a little under 2 hours. Was worried their set would get cut short because it's a festival but that's almost like a regular arena set. I'm happy with that.

http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/events/2013/08/02/

The Cure get a full 2 hours from 8-10, so also pretty happy about that, they're the other band I am going there for specifically.

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    I have a couple of friends looking for Friday passes. Driving in from MN. I can paypal now or pay at the show. Hoping to get face value but will pay $150 per pass. Send a PM if you can help. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    oh, shit. Now that Trent's announced the Tension 2013 stuff, does that mean that there the big light setup wont appear at Lollapalooza? Will it just be a stripped down light rig? I mean, the 2008 Lolla had the LITS production, but that was because it appeared in the middle of that tour. It would be kind of a ripoff if he didn't bring the bigger production since there isn't any other Chicago date on the actual Tension 2013 tour.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My guess would be no. The two "tours" have different sections on the Tour page, & there's a month off between them which to me would suggest production rehearsals for the Tension tour. Hopefully either I'll be wrong or another Chicago area date will be announced at some point. I managed to get my ticket for Lolla, but having seen LITS at Lolla I don't think it had quite the same impact in a festival setting as it would have in an arena. I'm 6' 2" & had to get up on my toes to see the screens.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm not expecting it, but it's still their first US date, so I'm sure it'll be great regardless.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I'm just stoked that i'll get to hear the new tracks before the are officially released! Nothing beats experiencing NIN tracks live first hand and not knowing them, looking forward to it!

The funny thing is, unless someone gets ahold of a setlist for these first few shows, nobody will know what to write as a setlist... we'll have to write (new song) or take a guess with some re-occuring lyrics sung in the song.

I want to stay away from looking at the setlists for the 2 shows before Lollapalooza anyway. Want to be surprised, and considering it's the 3rd show, I think I can manage.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Confirmation from Rob's Twitter:
    Two productions: One for the summer festivals, totally different for Fall.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I'm just stoked that i'll get to hear the new tracks before the are officially released! Nothing beats experiencing NIN tracks live first hand and not knowing them, looking forward to it!
    Maybe; probably. Remember that the Year Zero tracks got debuted one at a time, and only a few of them before the actual album release.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    If they release any more individual tracks here and there, from now until the release of the album, i'll probably not listen to them. I'd rather listen to the album in full from front to back as a whole than listen to invidiual tracks. That said, maybe i'll cave in and listen to ONE more, haha!

It's always hard to control yourself when new NIN tracks/album come out. I think I did pretty well with [With_Teeth], but failed miserably with YZ, listened to them one at a time as they trickled in. Maybe that's why I am not too fond of YZ as an album as a whole, as the way I experienced the tracks kind of ruined the album experience for me.

Personally, i'm gonna try my best to hold off to hear them live first and then wait for the release of the record.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    Confirmation from Rob's Twitter:
    Two productions: One for the summer festivals, totally different for Fall.
    Interesting, some guy asked if it was going to be as big as the LITS style production, and Rob claimed that it "sure as hell is." I don't know if he means for both or just the fall one. I hope that the summer festival production is still as visually crazy as LITS or even HTDA, but I trust in Rob's abilities.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I did some checking - on the last album (Year Zero), 5 tracks were leaked before the released date, but only two of them were actually played live before the album came out. Even by the end of the Performance 2007 tour, only 7 YZ tracks had debuted live; it would be nearly another year until the LITS tour when the rest of the YZ live debuts occurred.

So don't expect to necessarily hear a ton of new songs.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Hmm... Yeah, good point. I was already thinking because they were festival dates, they would probably be playing songs that are "popular" or cater to your "average fan". That explains why there are different productions for both tours.

However, when the [With_Teeth] Club shows in Fesno, Reno and Davis happened in March 2005 (month and a half before the album dropped) they debuted 5 brand new never before heard tracks in fresno http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-i...-6bd6f6c6.html (Love is not enough, You Know What you are, The Collector, Home and With teeth)

With THTF and TLBTB being played live for the first time that show as well (those tracks leaked online before hand).
    Then Getting Smaller was played 2 nights later in Davis.

Soooo, it could go either way. There will be a few that will be played before they are heard, that's for sure. How many though, is unclear. But i'd bank on at least 3 new tracks, maybe 4 per festival (one of them of course being Came Back Haunted).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm starting to lean towards hitting up the 2nd Vegas show. LITS I figured they'd come back through Chicago at the end of the tour, which never happened. & I know Rob has said at some point they had to "downsize" the equipment for LITS to be able to lose one of the trucks to save costs. So there is a chance that any 2014 US dates will be a different production than the Tension tour, & looking over the schedule I don't see many openings for US dates this year that have yet to be announced. September will probably be finishing up production design for the Tension tour & going into production rehearsals, & I'd have to think given all the work he's done this year between HTDA & NIN he's probably taking December off.

I know there's closer shows, but I don't feel like driving to them, & I've been to Vegas enough that I know my way around vs. flying into a strange city I've never been. I'd REALLY like to take the week of Thanksgiving off & follow them around, but financially it's not in the cards.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I know there's closer shows, but I don't feel like driving to them, & I've been to Vegas enough that I know my way around vs. flying into a strange city I've never been. I'd REALLY like to take the week of Thanksgiving off & follow them around, but financially it's not in the cards.
    You could take the train to Kansas City, St. Louis, St. Paul, Cleveland... the last two are both on Saturdays. I don't know the layout of St. Paul but in Cleveland the train station and the venue (and there of downtown) are within walking distance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is just my opinion and I know it's late but I just rejoined...

Buying tickets to music festivals, such as Lollapalooza, (which is one of the biggest and best in North America and maybe the World) can really suck. It's all worth it though when you're there in downtown Chicago with Buckingham Fountain as the centrepiece surrounded by 100K other festival attendees. I don't agree with selling tickets before the lineup is released, but when you are as big as Lolla you can pretty much do whatever you want. It disappointing, but... "That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't. That the way she goes." Ray, TPB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm starting to lean towards hitting up the 2nd Vegas show. LITS I figured they'd come back through Chicago at the end of the tour, which never happened. & I know Rob has said at some point they had to "downsize" the equipment for LITS to be able to lose one of the trucks to save costs. So there is a chance that any 2014 US dates will be a different production than the Tension tour, & looking over the schedule I don't see many openings for US dates this year that have yet to be announced. September will probably be finishing up production design for the Tension tour & going into production rehearsals, & I'd have to think given all the work he's done this year between HTDA & NIN he's probably taking December off.

I don't remembering ever hearing that NIN scaled backed there LITS tour for Lollapalooza. It didn't look like it either, but if they did I think I know why. If anybody remembers the original billing for Lollapalooza in 2008 it was, Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Nine Inch Nails, Kanye West etc... That lineup was changed to Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Kanye West, Nine Inch Nails etc... I heard that Kanye had bitched that he wasn't performing on the main AT&T stage, so Trent switched to the secondary Bud Light Main Stage and gave Kanye the AT&T stage. Ironically it was apparently because the Bud Light Stage couldn't hold all of Kanye's lighting material (this was part of his Glow in the Dark tour). In the end he didn't even bring all the equipment to Lolla anyways. But again NIN had all 3 screens during their performance, so I don't think it was scaled back.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveFestivals View Post
    I don't remembering ever hearing that NIN scaled backed there LITS tour for Lollapalooza.
    It wasn't for Lolla, I know I saw Rob say somewhere that the reason for losing the swinging lights during The Big Comedown later in the tour was that they had to make everything fit in one less truck for cost reasons.

& thanks for the train info Moebius, for some reason that option never really crossed my mind.
    Last edited by skullboy0; 06-06-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Do you think qotsa will join them for an encore?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    For experienced Lolla goers : how early do I need to get there in order to secure a decent spot not too far from the stage? Can I leave between QOTSA and NIN's sets to try to catch something else without risking being a mile away from the stage?
    Am I right guessing The Killers should draw a lot of the crowd away from NIN and make it easier for us?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    For experienced Lolla goers : how early do I need to get there in order to secure a decent spot not too far from the stage? Can I leave between QOTSA and NIN's sets to try to catch something else without risking being a mile away from the stage?
    Am I right guessing The Killers should draw a lot of the crowd away from NIN and make it easier for us?
    Well it depends on who it is, you might have a better chance this year with NIN. We saw (two years ago) Bright Eyes right before Coldplay. I went up to the front of the sound/camera rig right after Bright Eyes was done (and it was packed). People left to goto the bathroom whatever, and my gf did that while I went to the front of the rig. That is a great place to stand for a show. So I would not leave in between QOTSA and NIN, I would work your way up after QOTSA.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    I asked A similar question in "The Festival Thread" part of this form (under musical revolution), about when to get there, etc. @allegro made a few good points.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    My original post wasn't directed toward YOU. It was directed toward @ManBurning, who wants to get a good spot for NIN. And if you want THAT, you have to get there in front of the NIN stage in the MORNING and suffer through everybody else, honestly.

I PRIMARILY wanted to see Frightened Rabbit on a side stage. It's so crowded, now, I couldn't even get anywhere near the fucking Frightened Rabbit side stage at 2 pm.
    Yup. And if Kanye was packed over where you were, and I wasn't able to get (without being a total DOUCHE) closer to the NIN stage than the sound tent (having arrived at the NIN stage for the band just before NIN), then it's safe to say that if @ManBurning wants to be closer than "20 rows back," he'd better start checking the crowd levels pretty early.
    So, basically, we either have to get there at the crack of dawn to secure a great spot for Nails, or just accept the fact we're there to enjoy the music and be happy we are at least going. Hell, worse comes to worst, we got the fall tour dates now, so more NIN later in the year! We can make up getting as close as we want for those shows with the 15 minute early pre-sale admission.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 06-07-2013 at 01:27 PM.