Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: 2013.08.02 - Chicago, Illinois @ Lollapalooza

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow that was intense! Awesome crowd. Everyone went ape shit when the keyboard was set up. Oh and I met a guy named Chris there. We met after i offered you water and ended up talking about MBV. If you're reading this, sorry for the split haha. But message me if you do see this

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Actually upping version 2 of the perfectly captured Lollapalooza M4A Album, a very small glitch were found on 1000000 (1'09) it appears I had a very small shorter version on a chunk, so small i couldn't tell myself, when the big video join job tell me a warning at 16% but now i'm very confident of this version as i didn't had any warning, so confident i filled for you the titles and created a very fast cover https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3z0dcv1yrwtfw46/LvDdWDm68m
    (It's directly cut from the original stream perfectly captured and kept in the original youtube compression, album was 100% recreated, cut arent the same, trash the other one)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Actually upping version 2 of the perfectly captured Lollapalooza M4A Album, a very small glitch were found on 1000000 (1'09) it appears I had a very small shorter version on a chunk, so small i couldn't tell myself, when the big video join job tell me a warning at 16% but now i'm very confident of this version as i didn't had any warning, so confident i filled for you the titles and created a very fast cover https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3z0dcv1yrwtfw46/LvDdWDm68m
    (It's directly cut from the original stream perfectly captured and kept in the original youtube compression, album was 100% recreated, cut arent the same, trash the other one)
    thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i had never been to a festival before and went pretty much just for NIN. this is now my fifth time seeing them. i didn't have the best time at lollapalooza because of the extreme crowdedness, but watching NIN was worth every penny of the price of admission. the new version of sanctified was a great surprise. i have had copy of a stuck in my head since the show, being the first time i heard it. one of the best moments for me was the throwback to LITS utilizing the cameras on trent during closer. the panes opened up only to show another angle of trent's face. trent didn't say much that night, but i would assume that there were time limits. i can't wait for the LA show in november! hope a pro shot version surfaces online so i can make a dvd.

my friend made a comment to me the night before, trying to jinx my experience, mentioning trent's chronic throat issues for past shows. trent and the band sounded better than ever before.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    many thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    Just an FYI, the album is tagged as August 3rd, but the show was on the 2nd

Great files, though, thanks for doing it!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    Anyone have a dime invite?
    The site has opened up for new accounts. Get it while you can!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    The site has opened up for new accounts. Get it while you can!
    FWIW, the video that's up there's not worth getting. It's missing frail/wretched and likely to have a glitch during copy of a.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    FWIW, the video that's up there's not worth getting. It's missing frail/wretched and likely to have a glitch during copy of a.
    You don't have to solely search for NIN. There are other groups.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    You don't have to solely search for NIN. There are other groups.
    Sure, but the question was asked in a thread regarding NIN's performance at Lollapalooza. The context was implied.

EDIT: Also, new accounts on dime open up all the time. Cleanup scripts run regularly purging inactive users and freeing up slots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is there a file that is the entire NIN show, not broken up in chunks? I was going to capture it and forgot.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phix95 View Post
    Is there a file that is the entire NIN show, not broken up in chunks? I was going to capture it and forgot.
    File exists, but waiting on hosting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah I see. Thanks. Oh and I do mean audio and video...
    Last edited by phix95; 08-04-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Everything I am about to say has already been said in one form or another in this thread about the show, but i'll post point form notes on my experience anyway...

-The festival environment is not for me, and if it wasn't for NIN, I wouldn't have gone, they were the sole reason for attending lolla. I've never liked festivals before, and this was a reminder on why I shouldn't bother with them.
    -Copy of A was spectacular, I had no idea what to expect as I never watched the footage from the other shows yet, I taped that song on video and watched it a few times in my hotel already, it's a really awesome song! Also, when Sanctified came on, I thought it was another new song as well. I didn't recognize it until the lyrics started, that was really cool to hear that reworked version as well.

-Near the end of the set when the singles section started I found myself kinda bored and saying "ok enough with the singles, let's get some new/rare songs played" and YES, I do realize it was a festival setting and should have been expecting a set like this. But with that said...
    -NIN was worth it though, total highlight of the trip. Had alot of fun, and it was a nice "warm up" gig before the Tension shows start. I have a feeling i'll be enjoying those ALOT more, just would have liked to hear more new songs than what they played.

Someone also wrote here (forget who, not gonna go back to find the quote) that even a song that is played alot that you are bored of gets played after you not hearing it for a while, it kinda sounds good again. This was the case with HLAH. I haven't heard that song probably in 4 years or so (the last time they played live) as I always go out of my way to change it or avoid it if it comes on, but it actually felt nice and refreshing to hear it again live after not hearing it for so long. Wish I could say the same about Closer, but I was sad to see that back in the mix. And yeah, yeah... someone already wrote, you're not gonna hear deep cuts at a festival, it's totally true.

That's my 2 cent review of the show, which actually turned out to be more like $4.35, but it's all good! Next show is Vegas nights 1 and 2 in November, really stoked for those!!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    for the record, the Lolla show was filmed great. Nice to see they had an idea how to actually film a show unlike those clueless amateurs who did Fuji....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    for the record, the Lolla show was filmed great. Nice to see they had an idea how to actually film a show unlike those clueless amateurs who did Fuji....
    Can you go eat a ballsack or something?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    For the record it was only filmed on the left, apparently bass & drums is a better front man that main guitar+keyboard ? there isn't any close up footage of them, especially at the last part, how could you (and Rob) miss something like that ?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    EDIT: I rest my case, but I don't want to start a fire Leviathant et al will have to put out...
    Last edited by Fred; 08-05-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone find a rip of CC or QOTSA yet?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just wanted to make a note that I got in to see them, though far back, because I was determined to catch New Order, too, but really enjoyed the show. I couldn't see much, but it was okay, because the sound was phenomenal even far back.

Joined up with my twin favorite band The Cure, this turned out to be an impromptu belated birthday for me, and it was better than I could have ever planned, myself. I am so glad this happened. Thanks to the band for making this happen, on so many levels.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipfinator View Post
    Can you go eat a ballsack or something?
    Don't. Just, don't. Please. Yes, billpulsipher is cantankerous - if you don't like what he has to say, you can click on his profile, and on the left-hand side, click "Add to Ignore List."

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Personal opinion, but the Fuji Rocks show felt a lot more cinematic to me. The softer focus, the rain, the wide shots. I love how it looked, even if it wasn't completely intentional.

Lollapalooza is what it is. They shoot each show the same way. It's not horrible, but it's also not all that impressive either.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    On the bus back to Montreal... I've got some time to ponder about the whole Lolla experience. Wasn't a big fan of the festival itself, mostly because the lineup of lower tier bands felt a little weak, but I got to enjoy Chicago for almost a week, and still got to see a bunch of outstanding live bands including Nine Inch Nails of course, which seems to have left a huge impression on all casual Lolla goers I talked to.

Few things to say about the new lineup... Trent is back in top shape and it feels damn great. I don't think I've heard him sound so good since the 2006 summer tour... He always managed, but I did catch him sick a few times and, let's be honest, by the end of 2009 his voice was seriously strained. Being a singer in a band myself, I know what that feels like, struggling to finish a show because your voice is shot, and I always thought he was fuckin' indestructible to keep on screaming like that for 2,5 hours with his voice cracking up every night. But to hear him so damn tight on friday night moved me. The impression I have now is : NIN's still got years of touring ahead, and I doubt Hesitation Marks will be anywhere near a final NIN record.

The current lineup feels very familiar. It didn't kick me in the ass as much as when I saw the LITS lineup for the first time after a few years of North/White sloppyness, but the electronic stuff never sounded better. Josh Eustis, who unlike JMJ doesn't sound like a trained bassist, gets the band a slightly rawer sound than the previous incarnation, for better and for worse depending on your tastes. It's starting to feel like Trent holds on to Ilan's youth and infinite talent very dearly to help the band remain fresh and relevant. He's now a centerpiece in the current lineup, probably playing more instuments than anybody else. Notice how he's still rushing to the piano to play the chorus part in MOTP? That's obviously only for show-off... Even during the Wave Goodbye tour, it felt like show-off (I'm sure JMJ or Robin could've played the part) but now with Ally back in the band, there is little practical reason to still do it that way, except it looks fuckin' cool! They're trying to keep stepping out of their confort zone, which is what made the Wave Goodbye shows so intense and that's a good thing.

Visually, the show was stunning... I had listened to the Fuji recording but managed to refrain from watching the whole video and I was surprised by how complicated that little warm up festival production is! Seriously, not quite as heavy as LITS but even without the whole setup they managed to replicate many of the same effects. They got a higher resolution backscreen which make a hell of a difference when you're actually there and not just watching it on YouTube. Me I'm Not's visual were gorgeous, making that song my favourite of the whole set (every show I reminisce about, there's always one song that stands out for so many reasons)... I noticed Rob was checking out the show from the FOH console in front of which we stood : I think he must have been proud, those visuals definitely helped the band steal the show at Lolla.

Speaking of which : every review I've read, everyone I've talked to seems to agree that NIN were the best band this year. I thought Grizzly Bear, Beach House and Phoenix were all amazing, but NIN are always the best. It's great to finally see them get the mainstream critical approval they deserve again. When I really got into NIN, it wasn't cool anymore to like them. Now they seem to be getting a very respectful recognition as one of the best bands out there and it feels good knowing that I was right all those years!

I could complain about the setlist. I'll try not to. It was a festival show, how could they have not played HLAH? But I do feel like that finale's been overdone and it's taking away some of my will to hit multiple shows. The only exception being the new arrangement for Hurt which I can't wait to hear again. I had goosebumps and I think my girlfriend cried a little even though she won't admit it. The new songs are all amazing live too, Copy of A being an obvious standout as everybody mentioned. But yeah, hopefully we'll get a few rarer songs in the fall.

Trent being at the top of his game, incredible visuals, great arrangements... Things are looking good for Tension. Real good.

Before I shut this thing and finally try to get some sleep... I'd like to congratulate @fincktheworld, @Kylevanheck and @AdamR46 for finding the Another Version Of The Truth DVDs I hid all over town. It's always fun to do those treasure hunts and I'll take over the TOIOU account again in the fall to hide stuff in Montréal, Toronto, Brooklyn and Newark. I believe @shreenas will do the same for the european shows... Follow @thisoneisonus to stay updated.

Goodbye Chicago, it's been fun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    Visually, the show was stunning... I had listened to the Fuji recording but managed to refrain from watching the whole video and I was surprised by how complicated that little warm up festival production is! Seriously, not quite as heavy as LITS but even without the whole setup they managed to replicate many of the same effects. They got a higher resolution backscreen which make a hell of a difference when you're actually there and not just watching it on YouTube. Me I'm Not's visual were gorgeous, making that song my favourite of the whole set (every show I reminisce about, there's always one song that stands out for so many reasons)... I noticed Rob was checking out the show from the FOH console in front of which we stood : I think he must have been proud, those visuals definitely helped the band steal the show at Lolla.
    I haven't really watched the Lolla video yet (just checked out Copy of A into Sanctified this morning after the D/L finished), but being there in person I definitely got a better idea of how the whole thing "works" than from the Fuji stream. Was interesting to see them move Ilan's riser a few feet in between songs a few times. I think the "interactive" stuff with the visuals worked a bit better than on LITS, a lot of the LITS stuff was cool for fans like us who knew that it was happening in real time (Josh programming the Echoplex drumbeat) but to somebody who didn't know they probably just figured he was miming to a pre-recorded video.

I do wonder how they were getting the silouttes of the guys in front of the screens.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    I do wonder how they were getting the silouttes of the guys in front of the screens.
    I'm pretty sure it's a mix of actual shadows (Copy Of A), real time processing from cameras (The Wretched, Me I'm Not) and prefilmed silhouettes (THTF).

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    whats weird is I read some reviews from Chicago papers and most of them critiziced NIN saying the show lagged in the middle of the set, the light show alienated the crowd because nobody could see the band unless they were close to the stage...One asshole reviewer said that the crowd for NIN wasn't full and had a lot of empty seats.....funny how "outsiders" perceive the band still

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah, billpulsipher, I have read some that made me scratch my head. It was full. I was far back due to my choice to come late. It was packed. They were into it that far back, too. I don't know. I guess they only write for people who didn't go? [side note example: The same kind of review happened to The Cure. The Cure played mostly hits and upbeat tunes like "Doing the Unstuck" for god's sake. They still labelled it doom and gloom or mopey.]

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure it's a mix of actual shadows (Copy Of A), real time processing from cameras (The Wretched, Me I'm Not) and prefilmed silhouettes (THTF).
    It was simply, actually. They had mirrors down on the front of the stage. The lights at the edge of the stage pointed down and reflected up against the screen. At least, that was the way they did the big ones.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rolling Stone and Spin gave them excellent reviews. I thought it was packed, we couldn't get anywhere close so my 5'3" friend couldn't see anything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm just wondering what "real time processing from cameras" involved. Mainly because the outlines were fairly clean, & seemed to only kick in when the subject was close to the screen. (Josh & Robin seemed to get out of range the most) Having seen some of the demos of how the Kinect works I wonder if it's a similar sensor they're using.

Not in the video/production business, just enough of a geek to wonder "how do they do that?" I could never actually program it, but I understand the concept behind the Only visuals for example. (particle system that Trent's input disturbs which then returns to it's "normal/rest" state)