Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Garbage

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New album is awesome, their best since Bleed Like Me.

I might rank order the albums like this:

6. Not Your Kind of People
    5. Beautifulgarbage
    4. Strange Little Birds
    3. Bleed Like Me
    2. Garbage
    1. Version 2.0
    Last edited by GulDukat; 06-30-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I take back my initial thoughts on the album, I think it's their best since Version 2.0

My ranking as follows:

1. Version 2.0
    2. Garbage
    3. Strange Little Birds
    4. Bleed Like Me
    5. Not Your Kind of People
    6. Beautifulgarbage

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    While I ranked Beautifulgarbage lower on my ranking, I felt it was an underrated album. Shame it didn't really catch on and kind of hurt their career.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    While I ranked Beautifulgarbage lower on my ranking, I felt it was an underrated album. Shame it didn't really catch on and kind of hurt their career.
    same here

I do not think Garbage has ever released a poor album. All their albums have been hits to me.
    I would say Bleed Like Me is an underrated album too, people seem to only care about their first two records

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    same here

I do not think Garbage has ever released a poor album. All their albums have been hits to me.
    I would say Bleed Like Me is an underrated album too, people seem to only care about their first two records
    I loved Bleed Like Me. Loved the guitars, total 90's record, released ten years after the fact. While some fans and critics saw Not Your Kind of People as a sort of "return to form," to me I saw it as sort of a retread of their first two albums.

With their new album, the band seems to have retained the sound of the first two albums, but they are also exploring new sounds. It goes for a very dark, moody kind of vibe.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I see a lot of love for Beautiful Garbage, but it has to be bottom of the pile for me. Partly because it just feels a bit inconsistent, but also because Androgyny was a weak first single. It has its moments of course, but I probably need to revisit it. I agree that Bleed Like Me seems underrated. It reminds me very much of With Teeth actually - both fairly safe and straight forward rock records that actually contain some great songs, but lack the spark of earlier work. I'm so glad that most people agree on Strange Little Birds though. I've yet to give it a thorough listen in full, but it really does come across as being up there with their best. You can tell they have just gone ahead and produced a record that they wanted to make, with little or no restraint, or worry about fitting in. NYKOP was a really good comeback for them, and I love most of it, but I'm not sure it came across as well as it should have. So to join in on the ranking:

01 Garbage
    02 Version 2.0
    03 Strange Little Birds
    04 Not Your Kind Of People
    05 Bleed Like Me
    06 Beautiful Garbage

We'll see how Strange.. holds up over time though. It's also difficult when they have so many great remixes, b-sides and odd tracks. I really love Tell Me Where It Hurts, for instance.

Oh yes, and it seems they are planning on a reissue of Version 2.0, as well as a corresponding tour. Looking forward to that then!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I love a good list!

1 - Version 2.0
    2 - Garbage
    3 - Strange Little Birds
    4 - Beautiful Garbage
    5 - Bleed Like Me
    6 - Not Your Kind of People

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Shirley Manson's pre-Garbage band, Angelfish, was pretty good.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    ^ this predates angelfish even (and shares a lot of the same members):

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    track by track album commentary...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The new album's got me back into Garbage, hadn't been following them since Beautiful Garbage (which I do feel is underrated, if nowhere vaguely near Version 2.0). It's an amazing piece of work, lots of hooks, lots of emotion, raw, exciting, deep and interesting. [edit: Strange Little Birds, not Beautiful Garbage]

Picked up Not Your Kind Of People today to see what else I'd been missing, and am considerably less thrilled. It's dancy and easy to listen to, but extremely short on hooks, and nothing like the other four albums I own. Maybe it's a grower?

Only thing with Strange Little Birds is, the writing sounds a lot more introverted to me, much more Trentian. It feels like it's coming out of a state of depression, much more so than any of the others. Not that that's a bad thing, artistically speaking.
    Last edited by Vertigo; 07-02-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    The new album's got me back into Garbage, hadn't been following them since Beautiful Garbage (which I do feel is underrated, if nowhere vaguely near Version 2.0). It's an amazing piece of work, lots of hooks, lots of emotion, raw, exciting, deep and interesting. [edit: Strange Little Birds, not Beautiful Garbage]

Picked up Not Your Kind Of People today to see what else I'd been missing, and am considerably less thrilled. It's dancy and easy to listen to, but extremely short on hooks, and nothing like the other four albums I own. Maybe it's a grower?

Only thing with Strange Little Birds is, the writing sounds a lot more introverted to me, much more Trentian. It feels like it's coming out of a state of depression, much more so than any of the others. Not that that's a bad thing, artistically speaking.
    Get Bleed Like Me, definitely a better effort than NYKOP

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Caught them last night, and they were phenomenal.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Caught them last night, and they were phenomenal.
    I was there too! Crowd was lame as usual for a rock show.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Indy crowds are always lame.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah, that's unfortunately true.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Count me in as someone lame at a rock show. I usually attend shows after a long day of work and a long, tedious subway ride and am tired by the time I arrive at a venue. If a pit does form and I find myself in it, I get the hell out of there.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    i'm with @RhettButler . shows are too expensive and too exhausting, so take me as i am when there. give me reasonable space, don't spill on me, stop screaming in my ears.

do pits form at garbage shows nowadays? that'd be weird, y'all.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c0f3d View Post
    i'm with @RhettButler. shows are too expensive and too exhausting, so take me as i am when there. give me reasonable space, don't spill on me, stop screaming in my ears.

do pits form at garbage shows nowadays? that'd be weird, y'all.
    Yeah. Most Garbage fans are going to be 35-40-ish and they're not really a mosh-pit kind of band anyway.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    A pit would be strange for sure. Most people seemed disinterested past the first 10-15 rows. I had two people standing next to my wife and me that would not shut up and kept bumping into us.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    A pit would be strange for sure. Most people seemed disinterested past the first 10-15 rows. I had two people standing next to my wife and me that would not shut up and kept bumping into us.
    So annoying. And put your damn tablet/phone down.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah I don't mean that the crowd was lame and wasn't moshing...they just didn't seem to care at all. I took a girl who had no idea who Garbage was, and she had a better time than most people there (plus she had to deal with me).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Garbage last night in Boston was awesome. Seen them four times now. They seemed to try to represent each album, with the setlist tilted more towards their first two albums. Didn't play "Queer," but almost every other single. Shirley looks and sounds awesome. She didn't introduce the band or have a lot of interaction with them, but they were otherwise very tight.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yeah I don't mean that the crowd was lame and wasn't moshing...they just didn't seem to care at all. I took a girl who had no idea who Garbage was, and she had a better time than most people there (plus she had to deal with me).
    A couple of drunk bros at last night's shows. Overweight dudes about 6'2, drunk as shit, waving their arms, cutting right in front of people as soon as the band hit the stage, etc. You always come across these types and I wonder if they know any of their songs.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i checked out 2-3 songs on youtube and just based on that bought the Strange Little Birds album and yep, album is on repeat.
    money well spent and i do think not theres been all that much talk about this album sadly.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    i checked out 2-3 songs on youtube and just based on that bought the Strange Little Birds album and yep, album is on repeat.
    money well spent and i do think not theres been all that much talk about this album sadly.
    It may be my favorite Garbage album to be honest. I love it when bands release such a great album late in their careers (like Deftones' Koi No Yokan). I saw Garbage live last month and they only played 4 albums off the new album, sadly. I would had preferred a more Strange Little Birds heavy set.