Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Steubenville trial and rape culture

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    and anonymous is stirring shit up outside the country: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04...-parsons-case/

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Good thing.
    At least they will review the case.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemonkey613 View Post
    Ms. Mag picked up on the story. Awesome.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/04/10/outing-a-rapist/
    Wow, that is awesome!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Ms. Mag picked up on the story. Awesome.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/04/10/outing-a-rapist/
    I've mentioned this incident before, but I figure it bears repeating and has relevancy to this story. I once sat in a courtroom with someone who had been raped listening to story after story of horrible abuse, and watching the justice system do fuck all about it (the person I was with didn't even get a restraining order). There was one woman there who took matters into her own hands, however. She photocopied her rapists face, along with every single crime he had ever committed onto hundreds of fliers and put them up all over his neighborhood. The judge said, "You probably shouldn't be saying this to me, it could have a negative impact on your case" (wow, really? she was there trying to keep this guy away from her children). She responded by saying, "This isn't defamation of character because everything on this flier is true, and I'll tell you all about it." The judge backed off after that, and was basically forced to agree with her. What did she get? Not her rapist in jail, that would be way too much justice, she got an extension of a restraining order. Amazing and brave woman, really, and so are the ones who publicly out their rapists.
    Last edited by Magtig; 04-11-2013 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Slate has an article on the photo side of things.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    When there's news stories I guess there's also misinformed morons who don't want to believe things. These 'supporters' look like dude bros that are friends with the boys convicted.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    And the ladies who support them.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Fucking lame. I love how they hide their faces from the cameras. I would love to "hear the other side of the story" right before I clock him in the jaw.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Okay, so can we all agree that this bullshit is rape culture?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm looking at that little Facebook group that was made. The amount of ignorance and split division between truth and lies is quite apparent.

I love how everyone of the "I know you didn't do it, he's not like that I've known him for years" reason is fucking garbage. How many serial killers have gotten away with their secrets behind their friends and family's backs because "they aren't that type of person?" This is the same thing, just because they aren't that way or act like it doesn't mean they didn't a sex drive and power agenda they needed to satisfy that wasn't know to any of these outsiders.

People let other people believe and know what they want them to believe. I may not have been there or known the victim or the alleged rapists but I have no doubt in my mind that they are guilty due to facts, evidence and circumstances shown thus far.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-15-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    And they're gone. I saw it before they took it down and one of the brilliant minds behind it *coughs* wrote that she was deleting it at the request of the police because names were being named.

Right.

One of the last posts was a reminder that when a person is completely drunk that they are in no position to give consent to anything, including sex and therefor, any sexual contact that happens at this point is an assault. I don't think the geniuses behind that group understand that though.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    http://www.xojane.com/issues/tucker-...-rapist-at-usc

This is my friend I was talking about. She got herself published in XOJANE. Read please.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    http://www.xojane.com/issues/tucker-...-rapist-at-usc

This is my friend I was talking about. She got herself published in XOJANE. Read please.
    What a sad story and a brave woman. It always amazes me that anybody can think forcing intercourse on someone is OK, but then I thought - when do we actually educate people on this sort of subject? I don't remember ever covering rape at school. As a mother of 2 young boys I really don't want them to turn out thinking rape is ok and being sexist twats but I guess it falls on me and their dad to ensure that (generally I think most parents find talking about this subject to teenagers horribly embarrassing)
    Last edited by WorzelG; 04-27-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    then I thought - when do we actually educate people on this sort of subject? I don't remember ever covering rape at school.
    I talk about it a lot when we do the 'love and sex' part of the course (catholic religion, btw) in the 5th year. Of course, that's already too late (they're about 16 then), but I don't really have room in my curriculum to talk about it earlier. But I do think it's really important they think about it. I know from colleagues it's also mentioned in social sciences classes.

Of course, Belgium has mandatory sex ed in schools at every year of schooling from 11 years old, so...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    I talk about it a lot when we do the 'love and sex' part of the course (catholic religion, btw) in the 5th year. Of course, that's already too late (they're about 16 then), but I don't really have room in my curriculum to talk about it earlier. But I do think it's really important they think about it. I know from colleagues it's also mentioned in social sciences classes.

Of course, Belgium has mandatory sex ed in schools at every year of schooling from 11 years old, so...
    I think that's the problem, they're already having sex by the time schools get round to discussing it, to be honest though I'm 40 and have no idea what sex education is like in the UK anymore - I guess I should find out

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm 26 and rape wasn't touched on at my school, besides philosophy classes at A-level, but as you say, that's too late. We got the contraceptive talk at about 14 and the clinical biological talk at about 12.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    USC sent Tucker Reed (the girl I've been posting about) THIS in the mail this week.

Me and my peers are protesting that trash rapist's graduation and doing a sit-in in judicial affairs Monday. Also Huffington Post has been in contact with her and they told her she will be on the front page soon. I have a friend in contact with the LA TIMES. Bring it on USC. Mother fuckers. And good luck when your continuous violations of TITLE IX are on display for all the nation to see. I'm sure it will garner positive press. Ass holes. Students are no longer completely in the dark about their rights, and this fucking school is going to pay the price.

The Vice President of the school was actively trying to take down this article written by a friend of mine because it's getting so much attention and has been trending as the number 1 article for days now. http://www.neontommy.com/news/2013/0...unpunished-usc The editors gave them a big fuck you.

Local News covered our protest today. http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/video...e-allegations/
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 05-13-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    OH, my god, that is so sad. Good for her, she's so strong, I hope she can find a way to live a happy life in spite of those animals.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226742203542

What a bunch of evil fucking cunts.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Hang on, I haven't been following this. Charges were dropped?! Fucking monstrous. Ugh... What about the friend she was with? Did she file any charges?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    “We did our job,” he says. “We did it well. It’s unfortunate that they are unhappy. I guess they’re just going to have to get over it."
    Good slogan: "Rape: Just get OVER it!"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Two New Documentaries Will Highlight Student Activism Against Campus Sexual Assault

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/21/campus-rape-documentaries_n_6517840.html

A few of my friends are in one of these trailers. "The Hunting Grounds." I interviewed also but chickened out so I don't think I will be in the film but please take a look. So happy this shit is finally getting attention. These are the same filmmakers who made The Invisible War so hopefully this will garner as much attention.