Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Welcome Oblivion: In the aftermath of Year Zero?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thepresence0 View Post
    fwiw, this is what Rob Sheridan has to say:

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/sta...51592749465600
    This doesn't at all surprise me coming from Sheridan as he's able to resurrect his analog glitch style of art that was used all over Year Zero. As for concept as a whole, sure the concepts have places of overlap but the projects are completely separate and have very different meanings to me. Trent in Year Zero considered a future based on present decisions or non-decisions, Welcome Oblivion seems to study a more internal reflection on what it means to be human.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    The band you're thinking of is NIN. Trent is who's put in prison. In fact, he and the band are detained in the Survivalism video, and the entire archive of websites sent back in time are being used as evidence of his crimes. They aren't going to do a show anything like the ARG one-off, as the footage from Coachella is supposed to serve as an example of their shows, and you can't do that kind of stuff at a festival. The similarities between this and YZ are there because they both include an apocalyptic theme. The borrowed "zeroes and ones" line is used because it fits the idea of technology being a part of humanities downfall too perfectly not to be used. "I am made of magic and wires" and the line "We have become zeroes and ones, I am the end of it all" are relating to transhumanism either literally or metaphorically to illustrate technology's role in the extinction of the human race. That's all this is about. No Presence, no YZ timeline connections, just a technology-induced apocalyptic setting. If I seem a bit blunt and absolute, it's because I view the constant searching for connections to a pre-established narrative arc exclusive to NIN is somewhat insulting to the band, and demeaning to the concept that Welcome oblivion is trying to establish.
    fwiw, I'm not arguing anything very hard here. Just playing with ideas and exploring possibilities. It's meant in good fun, and not meant to say there are any absolute connections to YZ. From what I can tell, there are no direct connections. And Rob Sheridan's responses to me indicate as much.

I just noticed a few interesting parallels and decided it would be cool to discuss them. To me the albums work as neat companions to one another, largely because again... they are exploring similar conceptual territory, and the artwork/sound is coming from (largely) the same individuals who made Year Zero.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thepresence0 View Post
    "…and presenting technological singularity and post-humanism as both a terrifying and transformative moment for mankind and nature."
    he expounded on that on today's Reddit AMA:

[Rob] "The visual direction of this album came about first from the concept of the record. Trying to express the anxiety of information overload, the end of mankind as both terrifying and transformative, apocalypse and evolution, etc."

Of course, that last bit harkens to the end of yz, yeah?
    Last edited by uroboros; 03-05-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uroboros View Post
    he expounded on that on today's Reddit AMA:

[Rob] "The visual direction of this album came about first from the concept of the record. Trying to express the anxiety of information overload, the end of mankind as both terrifying and transformative, apocalypse and evolution, etc."

Of course, that last bit harkens to the end of yz, yeah?
    I think it does harken back to YZ, conceptually. I'm quite jealous of anyone who is going to have a chance to go to the live show. Really hoping they come to Seattle, and if not... Hoping they release footage of one of the concerts. I have a feeling it's going to be something pretty special.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So your loose connections to YZ are some recycled lyrics? Trent has never done that before...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you read through the whole thread, there's a bit more than recycled lyrics.

And I want to address something that I find strange:

Many of you seem to feel it is "insulting" to insinuate any connection whatsoever between NIN and HTDA, or a NIN album and an HTDA album. Loose or direct. I find this perplexing and flat out weird. Rob himself said on yesterdays AMA:

RE: HTDA rising out of NIN's shadow and comparisons to NIN...

[Rob] "It's not something that really annoys us - it's fairly inevitable. I do find it funny that the NIN fans who don't like HTDA equally cite that it either is too much like NIN or not enough like NIN. What's weird to me is that these people focus so much on the comparison one way or another, and aren't able to just judge HTDA on its own. Do you think it's not enough like NIN? That's why it's called something different. Do you think it's too much like NIN? The band is made up of Trent, two guys he's been working closely with for 10+ years, and his wife - of COURSE it's going to have similarities. How much it was or wasn't like NIN was never a goal or concern for us in creating HTDA. It's simply what we wanted it to be, and we're extremely proud of it."

Doesn't sound to me like they find comparisons insulting. So why do people on this board? Also, I am not taking any of this all that seriously. I just think it's fun/interesting to discuss the areas of overlap and potential connections, purposeful or not, direct or loose.

Now I am new here. Maybe some of the reaction here is due to people in the past attempting to string *everything* back to Year Zero in an annoying or argumentative way. If that's the case, I can I understand why I'm getting a "Oh good, another one." vibe from some of you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Can someone help me out here. "Too late, all gone", What NIN track is the opening loop from? I was looking on Year Zero and couldn't find it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    Can someone help me out here. "Too late, all gone", What NIN track is the opening loop from? I was looking on Year Zero and couldn't find it.
    None of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's not from any NIN track that I am aware of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was trying to figure that out too, I thought it sounded really familiar. It's 35 Ghosts/A Familiar Taste from TSN. It's not the same pattern but similar sound.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    It's the same instrument probably, played by the same people. Same comment was made about Fur-Lined remember?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The Greater Good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    The Greater Good.
    They are pretty similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah yeah, it sounds like a hybrid of The Greater Good and A Familiar Taste.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Never really thought of "Welcome Oblivion" as a clear-cut sequel to Year Zero, but how could there not be similarities? Trent political, ecological and spiritual views probably didn't die as soon as he'd churned out Year Zero and hey, guess what? Humanity is still dragging the whole planet towards the gutter. If you're an artist who cares about that, there's a lot more left to say.

That, and post-apocalyptic scenarios are quite fascinating. I can't blame HTDA for exploring these, and I actually find it more than a little refreshing that we're not just getting "You know me - I hate everyone"-songs from these guys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mataxia View Post
    Ah yeah, it sounds like a hybrid of The Greater Good and A Familiar Taste.
    This, thank you. Forgot to check TSN soundtrack.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Never really thought of "Welcome Oblivion" as a clear-cut sequel to Year Zero, but how could there not be similarities? Trent political, ecological and spiritual views probably didn't die as soon as he'd churned out Year Zero and hey, guess what? Humanity is still dragging the whole planet towards the gutter. If you're an artist who cares about that, there's a lot more left to say.

That, and post-apocalyptic scenarios are quite fascinating. I can't blame HTDA for exploring these, and I actually find it more than a little refreshing that we're not just getting "You know me - I hate everyone"-songs from these guys.
    Right, well said. And on top of that, Trent and MQ are laying in bed together at night...presumably spending all of their time together...of course they are going to share some of the same viewpoints, which will be expressed, consciously or not, in the art they create together.
    OF COURSE it's related to year zero thematically...listen to the lyrics for christ's sake. i really don't understand how this is an argument.
    Now is it year zero part two or set in the year zero "verse?" I don't think so, and sincerely hope not. this isn't a fucking comic book or star trek spin-off, it's a ROCK BAND.