Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013.04.17 - Monterey, CA @ The Golden State Theatre

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)

2013.04.17 - Monterey, CA @ The Golden State Theatre

As of March 2005, the auditorium is restored to one room as it should be. All atmospheric lighting is again working. A new screen and higher wattage projectors are installed. The downstairs has all new Irwin seats. The loge section of the balcony will soon be getting its new seats, bringing the seating capacity up to around 1200 +/-. The filthy and intrusive concession stand has been removed from the lobby.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    And it was just purchased and revamped last year. Its very small, about the size of two movie theaters. Its well decorated, and something of a local historic artifact.

Is anyone else planning to be there? This is pretty exciting for me....

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Sold out so fast... i guess ill have to try friday...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Sold out so fast... i guess ill have to try friday...
    Not sure if you know but tix are still available...the HTDA pre-sale rolled over to a pre-sale on Ticketmaster. I have a ticket, just need to rearrange some travel plans to make this.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I figured that out! Thabnk god!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Checking in! See y'all there.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Im doing some work at the theater tonigh, so im right around the block when i got my tickets. Apparently thyre pretty good. At the front of the balcony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Im doing some work at the theater tonigh, so im right around the block when i got my tickets. Apparently thyre pretty good. At the front of the balcony.
    The view from the balcony is fantastic...I saw Mumford and Sons from the front row of the balcony last year and they were some of the best seats.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Got my tickets too! See you guys there....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    As this show gets closer, it's hard avoiding "spoilers" and I'm debating whether or not to watch the Coachella stream. I think I'll just stay away from videos and allow the show to be a surprise. I'm excited to be able to attend the Monterey show, in less than a week!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just a little over 24 hours before tomorrow's concert. Getting pretty excited! Although I took a peek, here and there, I managed to avoid watching more than a a few moments from the many youtube videos of recent HTDA performances. Heh, trying to not be like I was with NIN, when I read/watched everything before a concert I was about to attend. Also, checked my seats on the HTDA site and, wow, I'm 3 rows from the front, dead center. I cannot wait!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's on!
    I'll be there, and I'm going to try to bring my DSLR and my recorder and plug into the board.... if I can't... I'm sure it will be great either way.
    I'm going to arrive relatively early, so if your bored of standing in line like me, don't be stranger and say hi! I'm a big dude with long curly hair and I'll be wearing a green shirt and a green overshirt. Don't be a stranger!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The marquee says HTDA. That's a first for the tour.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    The marquee says HTDA. That's a first for the tour.
    Nope. They were labeled on the marquee at their first show last Wednesday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellep...7633218933236/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    No it says HTDA not How to Destroy Angels.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Im here! The line is four small with numerous wandering types. Its cold. Wait till doors unless you want a poster.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Theres been a somewhat bullshit handling of presale tickets - not the venues fault. Some presale tickets are "presale tickets" somehow mine are regular tickets even though i got them in presale?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Poster #3 debuted tonight. Limited to 1 per person. Progress. Battery too low for cellphone photos.
    Last edited by Erik; 04-17-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    @Wretchedest Did you have physical tickets or a printout with you? If so, that was the ticket seller presale that happened after the HTDA one. Still a presale but no early entrance perks. Confusing but not the venue's fault.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah thats exactly what i was sayong. Presale perks seem null anyway now that were actually in. Presale seating on the other hand? Corner balcony?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Check your pm wretchedest please.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This was so legit. Completely changed my view of HTDA very very good live act.... more later.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

All I can say is fuck anyone who constantly feels the need to yell/scream/woo constantly throughout a show......ugh.....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just got back from the show. Still amazed at my seats (3rd row, center). Still high from it all...Mariqueen is an excellent front-woman: Very intense and great voice. It was one thing watching bits of the light show from youtube, but, in person, wow. BTW, Mariqueen seems to have successfully wrestled the tambourine from Trent (for all but one song, at least). Funny side-note: The old guy taking our nice, personalized souvenir HTDA tickets did not merely scan them. No, like a carnival ride attendant, he tore part of it, as we walked in. Heh, it looked like he tore mine with his teeth. I'm grateful I was able to get to see HTDA, live, in a smaller theater. Great memory!
    Edit: One other thing I thought was a nice touch--They provided tubes for posters. I remember past NIN shows where we often debated whether or not to bring tubes for our collectible posters.
    Last edited by Ruined; 04-18-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Anyone else feel that the venue acoustics sucked?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    No, I thought the acoustics were fine. Hell, the rumble of the bass-lines on the wood floors were something I had never experienced at a show, before. Seriously, from the visuals, to the rumble, to the clear, strong vocals: A truly immersive experience from where I was watching the show. I love how some songs seemed to merely be Mariqueen's voice and little else.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I thought the acoustics were really nice, and I usually don't like them from as close up as I was.
    Many, many thanks to Erik for improving my seating situation, it was a rare and baffling act of kindness that made a huge difference for my wife and I. You are super cool dude!
    I have to say that the powers that be handled seating very poorly. While early buyers got terrible akwardly placed seats, The entire front row wasn't booked at all and much of the middle balcony was untouched.. My friend Alex sat in the very front middle, and was the only person in the front row for the first five songs, before more people caught on and took those seats anyway.

Let me restate that: My best friend just sat there with the single best seat in the house, undisturbed for the entire show. We were supposed to be in the corner of the balcony.

It came to a head when people started rushing the isles for the last three songs, which sort of killed the vibe. I thought just sitting down and taking it in was a great change of pace for a show like this.

That made it awesome actually,and in for the majority of the show the audience was MOSTLY really respectful and quiet compared to what I've come to expect at a Nine Inch Nails show.

The band itself is so much better live than on the recording. They have a lot more energy in this setting and the impressive visual element makes everything more exciting. Impressive visual element doesn't begin to describe it. I tried to explain to a friend, who had the opportunity to just walk in towards the end, what it was like and he was said he'd seen light shows before... It was like being inside of a broken 3DS. That shit is too futuristic for Star Trek comparisons. Totally a mindfuck.

It was great to see this at the Golden State Theater. For us in Monterey this was a really big deal. The Golden State Theater has only just got up and running with shows like this, and How to Destroy Angels was a serious proving point. It made the whole vibe of the show better, this sense of a community growing and becoming stronger during our mutual love and enjoyment of this artist. There was some serious excitement from our local entertainment industry/ show hoppers that was rare to see in among people who grind through live performances everyday. I suppose its hard to explain, but it was something extra special for us here in little ol' Monterey

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It was great to see this at the Golden State Theater. For us in Monterey this was a really big deal. The Golden State Theater has only just got up and running with shows like this, and How to Destroy Angels was a serious proving point. It made the whole vibe of the show better, this sense of a community growing and becoming stronger during our mutual love and enjoyment of this artist. There was some serious excitement from our local entertainment industry/ show hoppers that was rare to see in among people who grind through live performances everyday. I suppose its hard to explain, but it was something extra special for us here in little ol' Monterey
    Being born and raised in neighboring Salinas, I relate to the whole Monterey music scene pride thing. In all my years, this was the biggest show, by far, for our community. It seemed that all the greats played there before I was born (e.g., the Monterey Pop Festival made famous by Hendrix's iconic lighting his guitar on fire). In high school, if we wanted to catch a decent show, the nearest place was Santa Cruz and/or San Francisco. When I saw Monterey initially listed as one of the stops on the HTDA tour, I had to do a double-take. By the way, I hadn't been to that theater since it became a concert venue. The last time I went there, it was to see a movie. I love that they preserved that old theater. It seems the line-ups are growing: I saw that "Dead Can Dance" will be there this Thursday. Wish I could go to that. Hopefully, the scene will continue to grow; it's a great city. I have a lot of good memories there, including tonight's show.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Something new for the Monterey show, Trent did band member introductions before We Fade Away.

Trent's keyboard is definitely a Nord Electro.

I also took some photos. You can likely make out a lot of other instruments in them.

They are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellep...7633269995011/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Same setlist?