Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: House of Cards

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

House of Cards

So who here has watched the US adaptation that premiered on netflix yesterday? The first two episodes are directed by David Fincher, who's also one of the executive producers. I've watched the first half of the season so far and it's definitely engaging.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm about six episodes in. Liking it so far. Spacey's performance is definitely award worthy, but I fear this series will get no recognition due to Hollywood politics. . .

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I am enjoying this show so far. Good Job. Hopefully this will get this sort of thing going more. Shows made for NETFLIX.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Sorkin's Newsroom wishes it had the depth of characters, writing and drama that House of Cards possesses in abundance.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

House of Cards

I think both shows are well made. They are different animals.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Watched the whole thing, which should tell you how much I got into it. I'm not too big a fan of putting it up all at once, I'd much rather it come in week by week. But if it works for them who am I to complain.

I also watched the first episode of the UK series, which will be very interesting to finish now. Guy who was the lead in that was actually in those Grey Poupon commercials so many of us 80's kids vaguely remember.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Watched the first episode and quite dug it. David Fincher is such a fantastic filmmaker. The one thing that I'm worried about with the show is that after the two Fincher directed episodes, the show won't look anywhere near as good, and just simply won't BE as good either.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

House of Cards

I'm about half way through the season and I'm loving it. Great show.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Show of hands on who can't stand Zoe? *raises hand*

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Kate and Rooney seem to share each other's downers, it seems.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Watched the first episode and quite dug it. David Fincher is such a fantastic filmmaker. The one thing that I'm worried about with the show is that after the two Fincher directed episodes, the show won't look anywhere near as good, and just simply won't BE as good either.
    It looks the same across the board. Any director who comes on has to adapt to the style of the show. If you see the episodes of ER and CSI that Tarantino directed, it will feel more like an episode of the show than any of his films.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Kate and Rooney seem to share each other's downers, it seems.
    Ugh, her character's motivations are so transparent.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    The last scene in episode 7. Oh god that was hot.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    One of the producers said on Twitter today filming for season 2 begins in March/April.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Ugh, the exchange between Russo and the prostitute at the cancer research event was painful to watch.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I love the credits sequence. I'm a sucker for HD time-lapse stuff since Breaking Bad. ​Jeff Beal's theme is quite nice too.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    I've had that theme stuck in my head.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I just watched the first two episodes, really interesting stuff! I think I need to rewatch the first episode because I got lost at times with some of the names and faces because I was scanning film at the same time. Beautifully shot and the acting is pretty amazing. I love the breaking the fourth wall thing.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

House of Cards

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Show of hands on who can't stand Zoe? *raises hand*
    Pretty much and I only have gotten thru episode 4.

I'm guessing this is not far off from what really happens in Washington.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    What's up with all the phones? Phones phones phones.

And lots of phones being chucked.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I'm only just starting episode 5. I really appreciated the love between Claire and Francis. BUT Spoiler: not so much anymore. I know love. It does not truly tolerate sex with others. And all you polyamourous folks don't need to pile in. This is TV.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    With respect to Dra's invalidating biases, Spoiler: the complex and open relationship between Claire and Francis makes for fascinating TV. As interesting and real as their love is for each other, it unfortunately continues the long-standing 'people in open relationships are basically bad people' trend in cinema, but that's getting a little off topic. This series seems to be just as much about the complexity of their love as it is about the pursuit of power and politics. Francis' line in the first few episodes summed up his point of view beautifully, "I love that woman like a shark loves blood." Claire had a similar, albeit less snappy, line when she said that Francis was the only man that truly understood her.

I found it fascinating in the later episodes when Spoiler: they were having dueling guilt nightmares over Francis' murder, and were even leaning on each other for emotional support. Even though it had been well established that they told each other everything I still found it surprising that Francis told Claire about what he had done.
    Last edited by Magtig; 02-09-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    With respect to Dra's invalidating biases, Spoiler: the complex and open relationship between Claire and Francis makes for fascinating TV. As interesting and real as their love is for each other, it unfortunately continues the long-standing 'people in open relationships are basically bad people' trend in cinema, but that's getting a little off topic. This series seems to be just as much about the complexity of their love as it is about the pursuit of power and politics. Francis' line in the first few episodes summed up his point of view beautifully, "I love that woman like a shark loves blood." Claire had a similar, albeit less snappy, line when she said that Francis was the only man that truly understood her.

I found it fascinating in the later episodes when Spoiler: they were having dueling guilt nightmares over Francis' murder, and were even leaning on each other for emotional support. Even though it had been well established that they told each other everything I still found it surprising that Francis told Claire about what he had done.
    Aww I love you Magtig for your articulate observations. I truly appreciate being shown/explained things from different angles. It's like looking at art. My point was this WAS television and I don't expect the general viewership to get Claire and Francis. That was sort of my point. I got thru the whole season (thank you Nemo), but have to rewatch the last episode, I think I missed stuff. Story recovery on Claire and Francis: Spoiler: Interesting that Claire wasn't so fine about Zoe. What was that all with her picking through her clothing?
    Francis wasn't so ok with Claire disappearing, though I think it was more that them admitting that his stuff was more important then hers hurt them both more then having sex with other people so I get that part, I really do.
    I'm also sorry for Peter Russo. I like that actor and his character's name was the name of a boss/mentor I had who also died while in office (well - while being my boss )

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I enjoy the show quite a lot. I hate having to read about why it's "the future of television" everywhere though, without any of those writers ever explaining why the show itself is so good.

The dynamic between Claire and Frank enthrals me - it's so unlike the standard Hollywood/television show coupling, and the two work as a real-life, loving couple who are also a team. The one scene that got to me so much was when Frank was just sitting on the couch, playing his PS3, cold and detached, and he seems to push Claire away too with his coldness, only to say "I love you to her," just to make sure she knows. I thought it was very beautifully done, and very real.

Another aspect of it that I love is that the show makes no qualms about its cruelty. It enjoys it as if there is no other way a man like Frank can survive without it. It's so damn refreshing. I wrote a (long) piece about the show and this whole idea of cruelty if anybody's likes to read it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm unconvinced that putting out all the episodes at once is a good idea. Mostly because it makes threads like this awkward because we're all not following it at the same time. The budget for the show is around the neighborhood of 100 million. That's a bit daunting given the fact it was released like this. "Appointment television" is something that should still have some value in today's marketplace.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I'm unconvinced that putting out all the episodes at once is a good idea. Mostly because it makes threads like this awkward because we're all not following it at the same time. The budget for the show is around the neighborhood of 100 million. That's a bit daunting given the fact it was released like this. "Appointment television" is something that should still have some value in today's marketplace.
    I think it's great because it adds to this whole idea of television-as-literature. Now, we can watch it like we can read a book: chapter after chapter after chapter, and that is very enjoyable. Also, I think most television audiences now, don't watch the television shows week-after-week, but wait for it all to end so they could watch it all in one go. It's more freeing that way, and again, it is almost like reading a book.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Fair enough. It's apples and oranges, IMO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

House of Cards

Holy shit, Chapter 11!!!

House of Cards is The Wire exceptional.
    Last edited by heroicraptor; 02-14-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I really like this show. I just found it to be somewhat strange, how Spoiler: the president would offer the vice presidency to a man, who failed him on numerous occasions, like when Francis was backing the wrong candidate for the gouvernors' run, when he didn't get the bill through congress, when he f-ed up on national television, etc.
    Or did I miss something?