Page 1 of 99 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails 2013 tour

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Nine Inch Nails 2013 tour

Based on TR's reddit from late last year and Adrian Belew spilling the beans, I think it's justified to open up a thread about discussing Nine Inch Nails touring in 2013.

My take: I'm not sure what to expect but it's at least refreshing to see TR change things up a bit by bringing on Adrian instead of Robin or Aaron again.

Edit (2/27/13):

Nine Inch Nails are touring in 2013 and 2014.

Rumored dates thus far:

Fuji Rock Festival 7/26 - confirmed

Lollapalooza 8/2 - 8/4

Rock N Heim Festival 8/16-8/18 - confirmed
    Last edited by somewhat_; 02-27-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised if the writer of that piece mixed up a simple "I'm going on tour with Trent Reznor this year" with Belew being a part of the new NIN live band. He's probably a part of HTDA live, which makes sence, given the structure, feel and more "artsy" approach of HTDA's music.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Pretty much every guitarist who's let slip that he's touring with NIN before the official announcement gets replaced. I wonder if Adrian will get the boot, too, haha.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Adrian Belew? WOOOAAAHHHH my head is exploding!!!! This is the best thing ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Pretty much every guitarist who's let slip that he's touring with NIN before the official announcement gets replaced. I wonder if Adrian will get the boot, too, haha.
    I don't think so, as he has played on TDS, Fragile and Ghosts and significantly shaped the sound of that albums. This is not just a "We need a new live guitarist" thing.

Also, from Belew's blog:

more excitements

tomorrow daniel and I will board a plane for L.A.
    unexpectedly I've been invited into another
    exciting new recording project.
    I'm sure you will want to hear all about it,
    but for now I'll have to wait until it's announced.
    Just speculating, but it could be another NIN record. Maybe with more Belew input than before if he's going to be in the live band.
    Last edited by Dr.Z; 01-30-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added Belew's blog entry

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Good for Belew for spilling out the beans; he's the most compelling thing about NIN going on tour and maybe recording again.

(and please let it not be a HTDA tour. That project needs to pull a *mars volta* and do it quickly)

Cheers!
    Last edited by hobochic; 01-30-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    "Adrian Belew, who was scoping out TriplePlay, seemed tickled pink by the recent news that he’ll tour this year as Nine Inch Nails’ guitarist." That's the "news"?

That tells us absolutely nothing. Could very easily be a writer who misheard/misunderstood a quote, or reworked it to create "news" that would draw traffic to their site. As far as I'm concerned...*yawn* until we see an actual quote from somebody, and not just a sentence written by a blogging musician.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Can't wait to see Adrian bangin' and shreddin' Head Like A Hole.

Seriously, I can't see how does he fit into aggressive NIN show. Unless Trent drops aggressiveness and focus on slower and/or not-so-angry stuff

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I seriously think it's going to be The Fragile live.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Can't wait to see Adrian bangin' and shreddin' Head Like A Hole.

Seriously, I can't see how does he fit into aggressive NIN show. Unless Trent drops aggressiveness and focus on slower and/or not-so-angry stuff
    The noise at the end of "Mr. Self Destruct"? All Adrian's guitar work.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Seriously, Belew needs to fucking keep his mouth shut. Good for us, I mean, but this is like the third big profile thing he's let slip.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    With all due respect for the man, he's 63 and I don't see him ditching out March of The Pigs on a daily basis. Also, we know HDTA will be touring late spring/summer. I don't see how a NIN tour could fit in 2013.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Remember like 2 or 3 years ago when trent retired nin live? yeeeeaaaaahhhh....No.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    Remember like 2 or 3 years ago when trent retired nin live? yeeeeaaaaahhhh....No.
    "For the foreseeable future." "For the foreseeable future." "For the foreseeable future."

Then you get this guy.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Calling it the "Wave Goodbye" tour really didn't help, though I'm 72% sure that's because of the lyric in Now I'm Nothing

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    well, he did "wave goodbye" of 4 years of steady touring. I think it's justified. Besides how many of us actually bought ht was done forever? He's still not THAT old. Sure he's approaching 50, but he's still got it in him, especially if the Rolling Stones and this Adrian Belew guy can do it, he'll be just fine.

He probably just misses the touring and his roots, maybe just wants to get away from 2 constatly screaming children at home, lol.

Either way, this throws a new wrench in my vacation plans. Especially since my work is absolutly RETARDED and makes us bid on our vacation for the year now. It's open for bidding for the next 2 weeks. I already submitted a couple weeks I want in the summer, but i'm gonna need to change that again now based on when these live shows get announced. I'm guessing they will be scheduled in September/October to maybe co-incide with the Fragile deluxe release, if that is being planned for a fall release, maybe for it's 14th anniversary and then the backing tour to support it.

Sad to see that Adrian has potentially replaced Robin, but who knows... if it is a Fragile tour, i'm guessing they need more than 4 people on stage, so maybe we will see the return of a second guitarist.

Who does everyone want as a drummer? Freese, Ilan Rubin, Jerome Dhillion or someone completly new? I could care less if JMJ returns on bass, never really liked him anyway, He never really fit in to the band. I can see Lohner returning on bass/keys actually... seems like he and Trent have been hanging out alot together recently.

Would be nice to have Courtini return to Synths as well. Or if he doesn't how cool would it be for SONOIO to open the show?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    The noise at the end of "Mr. Self Destruct"? All Adrian's guitar work.
    Yeah, I know his contributions (The Becoming, WITT, Ghosts and some other The Fragile songs), but that's just studio work and not jumping around onstage and screaming backing vocals on top of your lungs. He just always has an image of a classy gentleman, sort of (to me at last), hence my comment.
    I didn't see JMJ fitting in either and yet he did perfectly, so what do I know

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    All I know is I would love it if Robin came back when Trent tours NIN again. I've always loved his sound, and stage presence. And I feel like he has the most "history" with the band, since he was THE guitarist for TDS on, minus WT and the "tour everywhere except the US" time period.
    I've also loved Josh's sound and stage presence, and his fucking off-stage presence! Ilan was a damn good drummer, and since he is also good with keys he was an important member. I never saw Jerome live, but from videos he definitely fit the live band well.
    JMJ was a nice guy, he tried to meet up with me on the LITS tour (when he was constantly talking to fans on the forum and meeting them to sign stuff after shows) but I'm sad I never got to see Danny, and I know he's been hanging out with Trent a lot, so I am excited at the idea of him coming back. Honestly, the Fragility lineup was great, and every time I watch AATCHB I'm sad I never got to see it in person.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Yeah, I know his contributions (The Becoming, WITT, Ghosts and some other The Fragile songs), but that's just studio work and not jumping around onstage and screaming backing vocals on top of your lungs. He just always has an image of a classy gentleman, sort of (to me at last), hence my comment.
    you've definitely never seen king crimson live. adrian has great stage presence & energy. i saw them a couple years ago and they were fantastic. he wasn't quite as energetic as he was when i saw them 12 and 10 years ago, but still great.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Two guesses:

Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the writer of that piece mixed up a simple "I'm going on tour with Trent Reznor this year" with Belew being a part of the new NIN live band...
    I think this is pretty likely.

Other guess has been touched upon by several people, at least in the NIN Spotting thread where this all started. IF he's going on tour with NIN (IF NIN is touring again this year), I'm betting he'll be working as a rhythm guitarist - allowing Trent to work more on keys, pads, etc.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    How pissed would you all be if this is just Adrian Belew working in the studio with Trent on some HTDA material and the writer interpreted "Trent" as "NIN"?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    But seriously, I would imagine Belew to be contributing to studio work (even if NIN), not live performances. Who knows though.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'd be more irritated with the complete incompetence of the article's author than any sort of pissed off about NIN not actually touring. Getting facts wrong and misquoting irritates me beyond belief.

Though, I did also miss out on my only chance to see NIN back in 2009, so I'd much prefer that Belew let it slip out instead of a misquote.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    How pissed would you all be if this is just Adrian Belew working in the studio with Trent on some HTDA material and the writer interpreted "Trent" as "NIN"?
    Not annoyed at all, Belew's work is sensational. I'd be surprised to see it happening with HTDA because of the focus on sparse electronica, but I'd be enormously stoked to hear he's contributing to tracks on the new NIN album.
    ...And am also enormously stoked at the prospect of him being the touring guitarist, he'd likely find fresh interpretations for a lot of the material. And provide plenty of opportunity for The Great Belew puns.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    like someone mentioned before, can't see him at age 63, put on an aggressive show night in and night out. would love to see the guy contribute to new NIN material but live, not so much.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Cortini, Freese, Lohner and anyone-but-Finck for me!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Cortini, Freese, Lohner and anyone-but-Finck for me!
    lohner, vrenna, finck, clouser, reznor. oh, how i miss 1994.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    For me, the line-up has to be Cortini, Freese, Finck, Lohner/Meldal-Johnsen.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I asked this before when the tour talk came up in NIN Spotting, but wonder if more people might weigh in here...

If he were to tour The Fragile live, what would it take to stage it? Would he need two guitarists... either in addition to himself, or because he'd be on keys so much? He'd still have to have a Cortini, though, yes? Someone else suggested that in addition to the drummer, he might need a percussionist who could fill in on keys.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I asked this before when the tour talk came up in NIN Spotting, but wonder if more people might weigh in here...

If he were to tour The Fragile live, what would it take to stage it? Would he need two guitarists... either in addition to himself, or because he'd be on keys so much? He'd still have to have a Cortini, though, yes? Someone else suggested that in addition to the drummer, he might need a percussionist who could fill in on keys.
    I mean, we're speaking hypothetically here, but it would really depend on how backing track heavy he went. its like, some of these songs have dozens of guitars. I've spent like 15 years hearing them all. but that doesn't mean you need that for a live show. likewise, some of the atmospherics are amazing, but is there anything gained by having someone up there attempting to manually play all the samples?

I'm such a giant NIN/Fragile slut, but if you're gonna do it... I don't know, play it with an orchestra or something. be bonkers!

also, the bit about Belew touring with NIN seems to have disappeared from the article.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    So it was either wrong or a too-early confirmation. Lovely.

I think having five people total would work pretty well. Drums, percussion (and I use that term loosely)/keys/second guitar, lead guitar, bass. Maybe have two people dedicated to guitars and have another person do keys/percussion to bring it up to six. I'd personally prefer Trent to focus entirely on vocals, or vocals and major instrumental parts (i.e. La Mer's main melodies). The second guitarist could do samples too, aided by backing tracks.

And then they all jump on random instruments for songs like Ripe.