Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Alice In Chains

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Alice In Chains

Plus, I think they're trying too hard to be modern. If they were to have just banged out an album, not worried about the current bands and so on, it might have been better. Way too commercial sounding. Songs like Your Decision are obviously aiming to radio rock crowds as compared to the old days, where they just did whatever came from their sessions (which worked).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I listened through this album but I was left disappointed. Really disappointed. AIC had always been one of my favorite bands and they had a unique sound that worked for them. When I turned on the radio and one of their songs came on I instantly knew it was them. This album, I'm sure it will be popular and I'll give it a couple more spins, but I probably wont be going back to it in the long run, like I did with BGWTB. I did however like the title track and Phantom Limb.
    Last edited by theburningreptile; 05-28-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The band is answering fans questions on Reddit, right now...

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...k_band_formed/

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Alice In Chains

I think the reason I like it more than BGWTB might be more along the lines that they tried to go off the rails a little bit more. Last album didn't venture much and sounded more like a cover band. It seemed like they didn't take themselves too seriously this time around, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's still a a very average album. But, it has songs there worth listening to again. Even if it's just a couple.

2.5/5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Only a couple listens in and a few tracks are grabbing me but not like their return album which I liked enjoyed quite a lot.

I liked that BWGTB still had the signature dark sound which i think many of the tracks on the new album do but for some reason I'm not getting into it as much so far. Just feels too safe and not what I was expecting.

Will see where this album goes....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Have to agree with the overall disappointed vibe on here, having heard it twice now. BGWTB has some great stand-out tracks on it - Check My Brain, Private Hell, title track, and more importantly used a variety of styles/speeds. This album on the other hand is very mid-paced ALL THE TIME and while the likes of Stone/Phantom Limb are very good songs, it just sort of feels like they're running out of ideas. Will defo give it a few more spins, as they are one of my very favourite bands, but, disappointed so far.

Was also worried that it might pale into comparison next to the QOTSA album, and that has proved to be the case unfortunately.

Next up....Black Sabbath.

Update - the more I listen, the more I'm liking it. Many of the reviews stated it was a grower - I think they were right. To be honest, there isn't a bad song on here, just not enough really good ones.
    Last edited by simonn; 05-31-2013 at 06:54 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    based on most reviews and listening to Stone & Hollow, I had low expectations for TDPDH.
    But have to admit, it's not that bad, at the same time nothing fantastic too.

What I appreciate is the effort with the artwork and sleeve, something bands don't care too much about anymore.

Just noticed the birthdates of AIC members, including Mike Starr and Layne are on the sleeve too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    after many listens, I have to say I was wrong with my initial review.
    This album has really grown on me. Better than BGWTB I feel.

My favourites are Choke, TDPDH, Low Ceiling, Stone and Voices.
    The title track is one of the best AIC songs ever, love everything about it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It's growing on me. First couple of listens nothing wasn't really grabbing me but I'm enjoying it more and more now.

I really love the album title track now though.

The new QOTSA is amazing though, really loving it...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    This album is much better than Black Gives Way To Blue. I wasn't even going to listen to it, but decided to give it a shot and so glad I did. I thought it was going to be crap, but I'm really enjoying it. This is much better than Soundgarden's King Animal. Alice In Chains seem to care more about their craft and their music... like it's still art - not so with Soundgarden's King Animal, which just seems like a half-hearted rock album. I'll be listening to this often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hollow is awesome in small doses. Too many listens and you realize that it gets very repetitive very quickly. Now Phantom Limb and Voices are fucking AWESOME! I really liked BGWTB but I really LOVE TDPDH. Obviously it's no Dirt or Jar of Flies, but it's still an awesome album.

Cantrell. McCready, Thayil and the DeLeo brothers need to make an album with Cornell on vocals and either Matt Cameron or Dave Abruze (I think that's how you spell it) on drums.

And no, I'm not a street teamer. Just a big fan of guitar work over vocals.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I've listened to it a few times now, had it on repeat for a while at work the other day and i din't mind it too much. Still hasn't really grabbed me much but it seems like something i will listen to again and continue try and be optimistic about.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I love it.....period. Since I was born,I was always listening to AIC......whether I knew it or not. I love Alice since then,I love the new record. I love them all. Will always be my favorite band.....

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    So i put this on repeat again last night when i got home and listened to it this morning for a while and i must say it has started to grow on me. I guess i had to wrap my head around it being AIC, but not really (as i remember them) and that though different its actually a pretty solid rock album.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    It took a few listens, but I'm liking Dinosaurs better than BGWTB. It's not that the latter's a bad album at all, but it goes from feeling radio-safe to bleak and depressing as hell (and feels really, really loud as fuck). Dinosaurs feels like a somewhat more confident album. That said, I saw AIC last night and confident is the word. Duvall was handling most of the vocal duties, and seemed like twice the frontman he was when they came in 2010. Knows how to work a crowd, felt like the entire venue was singing along to Would?

That said, they're using a lot of LED screens and projectors this time through that....I dunno, don't seem to fit the band. That aside, Post-Layne AIC actually feels 'legitimate', I suppose you could say - which I never thought I'd hear myself admit. I think it says a lot that Phantom Limb is the one track off Dinosaurs to which Duvall has writing credits, and it's one of my favorites on the album.

Side note: Last night, someone up front had their vinyl with them (personally, I wouldn't bring that to a show, but whatever). It got brought up onto the stage, and when it came back down, some assholes grabbed it and broke it. Cantrell was not impressed, and the band brought the owner up and gave him an offstage seat for the rest of the show and a promise of a brand new vinyl afterwards. Stand-up guys, AIC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alice in Chains

Now I noticed in the index thread, there is no Alice in Chains thread and I felt that is a tragedy. With the exception of Mother Love Bone, Chains were THE best of the Seattle Grunge movement. Layne's voice was unbelievably unique. The harmonies between Layne and Jerry were haunting. And Jerry's use of the blues pentatonic is just soothing to my ears. The lyrics are usually dark and dismal, but meh. I could care less about lyrics. As long as the vocal melody is awesome. And the new album, The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here has to be one of the best new albums to have come out in the past 3-5years.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    and I even posted in that thread too. I feel stupid

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    nice double surprise for today

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    ^NICE! Not a bad way to start the day.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ever since I got this album, I've felt that the song "Voices" could magically transport you back into the 1990's. The vibe of it just moves me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ah...one of my teenage dreams fulfilled, to see Jerry Cantrell live!

was an awesome show, with the band on top form. (with Alter Bridge opening)
    Will is a pretty good showman too, got the crowd up for it throughout. And Jerry only warmed up to the crowd after a few songs.

interesting setlist too (No Man in the Box!)

Them Bones
    Dam That River
    Again
    Check My Brain
    Grind
    Your Decision
    Rain When I Die
    Hollow
    It Ain't Like That (a real beast to witness live!)
    Nutshell (one of the true highlights of the gig and was dedicated to Layne & Mike)
    No Excuses
    We Die Young
    Stone
    Down in a Hole
    Got Me Wrong
    Would?
    Rooster

Was very lucky to get one of the few picks Jerry threw and got Will's as well.

Last edited by LaneSax; 03-07-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I actually like the new Alice in Chains stuff even if it's basically Degredation Trip Volume 3 and 4, Jerry Cantrell still knows how to play a good guitar riff. I'm skipping out on their next headlining tour where they're finally coming back around here, $87 isn't worth it when Primus is back with the original lineup and only a fraction of the cost and that's like 2 days before their date anyway.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Plus, I think they're trying too hard to be modern. If they were to have just banged out an album, not worried about the current bands and so on, it might have been better. Way too commercial sounding. Songs like Your Decision are obviously aiming to radio rock crowds as compared to the old days, where they just did whatever came from their sessions (which worked).
    I can see why you might call the album "commercial," as it's very polished, but I disagree that they are trying to sound "modern." If anything, TDPDH sounds like it could have been released in the 1990s. My only complaint is that the band played it safe on the album--it's more of the same. It's not that I don't like the album--I do, there's some great stuff on there. I just wish that the band had pushed the envelope a bit and branched-out, rather they play it safe.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I just think they're capable of doing far better than what they've been currently doing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I can see why you might call the album "commercial," as it's very polished, but I disagree that they are trying to sound "modern." If anything, TDPDH sounds like it could have been released in the 1990s. My only complaint is that the band played it safe on the album--it's more of the same. It's not that I don't like the album--I do, there's some great stuff on there. I just wish that the band had pushed the envelope a bit and branched-out, rather they play it safe.
    agree with this in every aspect.

I am not expecting AIC to ever push any envelopes though and at this stage will be happy as long as there's new music to enjoy.
    Last edited by LaneSax; 03-09-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    it's been 12 years... RIP Layne, hope you're happy somewhere with Demri

Last edited by LaneSax; 04-05-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    one of my faves off the new album finally made its live debut!

Last edited by LaneSax; 05-15-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    cool that they are still doing promotion for TDPDH

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ali...om-limb-video/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm watching Mad Season's Live at the Moore right now and damn is it good. I've always been a fan of Above, but I think that their songs actually sound better live--their kind of music (rock/blues/jazz/jam) lends itself to a live setting. I'm just discovering it now as I never owned the VHS tape and first owned it when I bought the deluxe edition of Mad Season's Above. Watching Mark Lanegan make a guest appearance is pretty sweet.

I'd probably have to rank Above above the last three AIC albums, all of which I liked--it's just that fucking good.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 09-09-2014 at 07:38 AM.