Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Pantera

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    The only Pantera album I believe to be genuinely great is Far Beyond Driven: they transcended their thrash roots and made what is still one of the heaviest albums of all time, not just sonically, but emotionally and conceptually as well.

Great Southern Trendkill was a crushing disappointment to me: I felt they'd lost it bigtime. Trendkill? Seriously? Trends are worth attacking in an album title? They lost their focus and vision and got caught up in their success, in pettiness; the music is fragmented, it didn't come together anymore, did not gel into massive songs. After that it was all the way downhill. Reinventing the Steel has some good moments, but the greatness was gone.

Cowboys from Hell sounds like generic thrash to me. Vulgar Display of Power has some great great stuff on it, but I feel that FBD is where everything was taken to the next level and beyond. The riffing on FBD is insane, it's perfect.

Down, Superjoint Ritual, Damageplan, Hellyeah: none of it comes close.
    I feel that TSK's downfall lies in the fact that the band were on extremely rocky relationships with Phil due to his abuse of alcohol and heroin. I mean, all the music was recorded in a studio in Dallas while Phil worked at home and recorded his portions of the album in NOLA at Nothing Studios. It seems so fragmented but basically due to the fact it wasn't recorded together. I remember reading the music was written separately and Phil penned lyrics that fit his mood and how the music sounded to them.

TSK has awesome tracks. No one can deny Floods, both parts of Suicide Note (especially Pt. II), 10's and War Nerve. I love every song on TSK.

Down is amazing but not so much thrash or groove metal as Pantera. It veers more towards sludge, blues and straight up heavy ass metal. Superjoint is punchy, quick punk like metal offering. Damageplan is decent musically but nothing too groundbreaking to me. Hellyeah fucking blows.

I'd be lying if I didn't say the non Anselmo projects and bands sucked outside Pantera. Most see him as an asshole but outside of Dimebag, he was the soul of Pantera as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 01-22-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I like Down, Superjoint Ritual and a couple of tracks of Damageplan, but yes, none of those projects come close to Pantera

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Pantera always delivered on releasing a heavier follow up album.

Enjoy all their albums but TGSTK has aged the best with me over time. 10's, Floods and Suicide Note Pt II are my particular faves off it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Speaking about the topic of rocky relationships, Rex's book is a really good read and honest perspective of that whole mess. I highly recommend the book.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

20th Anniversary. Best Buy pre-orders of the re-release also give this free shirt.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Nice tee, would have been awesome if the reissue etc came with the album's original cover.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Repost?? Do not give a fuck...

Edit: difficulties embedding from a phone if this doesn't work.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Great Southern Trendkill was a crushing disappointment to me: I felt they'd lost it bigtime. Trendkill? Seriously? Trends are worth attacking in an album title? They lost their focus and vision and got caught up in their success, in pettiness; the music is fragmented, it didn't come together anymore, did not gel into massive songs.
    There is so much more to that album than that. I can totally see how it seems kinda corny initially but the album is not just that I promise. I would suggest you give it a listen again and read the lyrics. Besides War Nerve, (Reprise) Sandblasted Skin and the title track everything else is kind of independent of the "Trendkill" Theme. The production is amazing, the lyrics are deep, the guitarist is DIMEBAG (nuff said), Seth Putnam from Anal Cunt does backup vocals throughout and the Rhythm section is tight but still grooving. The album is a departure but still so heavy. It is PanterA with Ballads that are still heavy as fuck! I'm gonna go put on some headphones and listen to it while I go to sleep!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I grew up in dallas and have only been gone for about a year and a half. And we are GOD DAMNED PROUD of Pantera.
    For me, by FAR, their best album was Vulgar Display of Power.
    I think this has to do with time/place though...although i was really popular in high school (i was everyone's token freak kid because i was in all the advanced classes and shit,) middle school was a nightmare. and i'd come home and listen to Vulgar Display and think of the kids that fucked with me.
    POINTED AT BY LESSER MEN!!!!!
    You dig?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Repost?? Do not give a fuck...

Edit: difficulties embedding from a phone if this doesn't work.
    PS WHERE in the fuck did you get this shit?! LOLZ! real ones!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    PS WHERE in the fuck did you get this shit?! LOLZ! real ones!
    Dont really remember- stumbled upon in on a couple different forums I think, and also just messing around on YT. Pure fucking gold!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I remember the day Far Beyond Driven came out. That was the good old days of waiting for the music store to open with a few of your friends. I had just turned 16 and drove up to the store. I can still remember looking through the glass of the store and seeing that drill/skull front cover for the first time. Being 16 years old that was a major turning point in my life and that album was HUGE for me. It was a different time in music back then and I’m glad I experienced it. The only other release that I can remember being anything close to that was, the fragile.

Side Note: Bumped into Vinnie Paul @ the Dallas Crosses show last week. Bought him a drink. I told him it was the least I could do for making those records. Great guy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I got it first day out, as well. I remember my first impressions were how dirty and noisy the production was compared to the slick sounding Vulgar Display of Power.

I really need to go dig out these albums, ASAP.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Far Beyond was the most memorable release for me as well- probably the most anticipated too (yes, even more so than any NIN album :O ). Remembered starting to get sick (pretty nasty cold) and the friends and me smoked and drank before waiting for the store to open. By morning I had a full on shit cold and stayed home from school (just turned 17) and listened to that CD all day after I could finally get out of bed.

Good times.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I remember the episode of Headbanger's Ball when they were celebrating the release of Far Beyond Driven and it looked like a hell of a fucking party. Then the album debuted at #1. I was shocked that in the age of grunge, gangsta rap, and Ace of Base, this was #1. It was awesome. I wonder what Dimebag is serving at the bar in Heaven and does he give God any special drinks?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    So has anyone picked it up yet? How is the remaster? I think they should stop already, unless they have something bad ass for TGSTK.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'll be getting this tomorrow. I am excite.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Holy shit this is amazing! That One Car Family is the greatest thing I've ever heard!!!! Please PM me?

Man, it sucks that I'll never get to see one of my all time fav bands live.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    So I feel like there is no major difference in the new remaster. I think a little louder which is not a good thing. But listening to this album helped me fuck the gym up.

Pantera all week next week for me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ophelia_ View Post
    Holy shit this is amazing! That One Car Family is the greatest thing I've ever heard!!!! Please PM me?

Man, it sucks that I'll never get to see one of my all time fav bands live.
    I really need a copy of pro tools so that I can open the FDB session and work with the files. I want to create some alternate mixes and such. Is there any other free program that will open pro tools sessions and maintain time code and such?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    So I feel like there is no major difference in the new remaster. I think a little louder which is not a good thing. But listening to this album helped me fuck the gym up.

Pantera all week next week for me.
    I agree. Not that it was as bad as Palaces (pre remaster) I still felt that after hearing that remastered something similar may be in the works for this. I needed a new copy anyhow so it's fine.

*derp
    Last edited by Pillfred; 03-31-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I thought the palaces remaster was bad ass. I mean, the original had that raw grit to it, but the remaster is welcomed.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Yeah that came out goofy I think Palaces remaster is money.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    So by accident I thought I was listening to the remaster of FBD when I noticed it was the actual CD I was listening to. I went ahead and now notice that they upped the mids on Dime's guitar tracks. To me, this kinda takes power away from the original mix and makes it sound a bit flat.

Could be just me, but I feel like it falls a bit flat and loud.

Good example is listen to the intro of Hard Lines and Slaughtered.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Fuck yes

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Man, that was fucking awesome!!! It's good to hear that and to see the people go ape-shit for that song.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Anselmo still rules.

New Down EP next week!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I can't wait for the Dallas/Grand Prairie show! It is the last night on the tour and PanterA's hometown! I hope they do it big! I wish I could make it to Austin for the Mike Scaccia Tribute show the next night but its just not in the cards! At least I have VIP for Down!!!

P.S. The new Down is pretty epic! Its all about the last track!!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    So by accident I thought I was listening to the remaster of FBD when I noticed it was the actual CD I was listening to. I went ahead and now notice that they upped the mids on Dime's guitar tracks. To me, this kinda takes power away from the original mix and makes it sound a bit flat.

Could be just me, but I feel like it falls a bit flat and loud.

Good example is listen to the intro of Hard Lines and Slaughtered.
    I agree Dime hated mids. Also while i thought BLS did a good job on that song to me it just shows how badass Dime was when ripping the leads.