Page 15 of 527 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 515 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    What always bugged me is the presence of Robin Finck on The Day The World Went Away. Didn't he leave as soon as the tour was finished in Summer 2000? Maybe this particular song was recorded around the same time as Chicago radio performance? Like, on rehearsals, or right after the show.
    Correct. It's from a mid-2000 recording done shortly after the CRC session but before the end of the Fragility 2.0 tour, I think. Trent was pretty psyched about the CRC show — I was at his next public appearance after it, in Toronto where he mentioned being in a good mood (and I quote: "that's a pretty rare thing"). I believe this is why they captured that arrangement soon afterwards: specifically to complement the bombastic And All That Could Have Been live show, which they were in the process of recording, with a different energy (hence And All That Could Have Been still). That track is one of the few bright moments on the record; the rest of the tracks were sporadically recorded in the following months around the time of post-tour depression and bottoming out. Somewhere in there TR was also experimenting with the minimal/brutal approach that yielded "Deep" and reemerged for With Teeth after NIN went on hiatus.
    Last edited by botley; 06-06-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I find it punishingly amusing that TR will probably be out on tour again (albeit with a new band) before those Wave Goodbye final concert films are ever released.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I made a spotify playlist of the originals of the songs that NIN's covered, either live or studio.
    I probably forgot some, but if anyone's interested:
    NIN Covers - Originals

NB: Led Zep aren't on Spotify, the link for Immigrant Song won't work unless you have the track too.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if the merch store is completely sold out of Still? I know there is a copy or two on ebay but I would really like to buy it through official channels (support the artist sort of thing).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    that reminds me of a mail-order coupon for Still found in USA release of Live CD, could this be effective 10 years later?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    that reminds me of a mail-order coupon for Still found in USA release of Live CD, could this be effective 10 years later?
    I thought that stopped being valid years ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Perfect Drug came on shuffle today and I got to thinking. This came out in the pre-Twitter, pre-Trent being pretty public with his goings on. I got into NIN because I bought the Lost Highway soundtrack for Apple of Sodom, as I was a huge Manson fan, and thus this was my gateway.

Coming out in the lull between TDS and TF, what was the word about TPD prior to its release? Just curious as to what any possible publicity was like, what the buzz was, etc. How was its existence first made public? I remember after the soundtrack came out people talked about it a lot since it was the first new material from NIN post TDS era, but that's all I remember.

Odd question I guess.
    Last edited by MrSlfDstruct; 06-09-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    The Perfect Drug came on shuffle today and I got to thinking. This came out in the pre-Twitter, pre-Trent being pretty public with his goings on. I got into NIN because I bought the Lost Highway soundtrack for Apple of Sodom, as I was a huge Manson fan, and thus this was my gateway.

Coming out in the lull between TDS and TF, what was the word about TPD prior to its release? Just curious as to what any possible publicity was like, what the buzz was, etc. How was its existence first made public? I remember after the soundtrack came out people talked about it a lot since it was the first new material from NIN post TDS era, but that's all I remember.

Odd question I guess.
    it leaked like 6 months in advance, i know that much

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I love the silent period, and the fact that Rob recently tweeted the word "soon". It's like living the song The Way Out Is Through... silence, then BAM!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I love the silent period, and the fact that Rob recently tweeted the word "soon". It's like living the song The Way Out Is Through... silence, then BAM!
    It would be great if they released a deluxe set of live DVDs or Blu-ray from the Wave Goodbye club shows. Each would have it's own disc(s) with the show, booklet and extras. I think they could do a special set (signed and extras added; reproduction ticket, Palladium button, stuff like that) as well as a standard (just the disc set) all in a nice slip case deal.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    That'd be one hell of a way to go all out for that tour. I'd probably take out a loan just to get the biggest, most expensive version I could get for the Chicago shows.

Of course, that'd probably be a nightmare to put together for each show. But the idea's really awesome. If they put effort into something like that, I'd feel like I HAD to buy it (not that I wouldn't want to!).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post

Odd question I guess.
    They aren't working right now, but I think the NINhotline had archives form that period, if I remember right there was indeed a leak...

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    KROQ leaked The Perfect Drug months ahead of schedule, Chris Schulte created a website with a realaudio copy of the leak encouraging radio stations to play his leaked copy, John Malm threw a shit fit, MTV news reported that the song was "re-mixed" for the release, and I taped a copy of the terrible-quality realaudio rip and I listened to that tape over and over and over... if I recall correctly, this all happened around Thanksgiving, when I was visiting my grandmother in Denver.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    That'd be one hell of a way to go all out for that tour. I'd probably take out a loan just to get the biggest, most expensive version I could get for the Chicago shows.

Of course, that'd probably be a nightmare to put together for each show. But the idea's really awesome. If they put effort into something like that, I'd feel like I HAD to buy it (not that I wouldn't want to!).
    Yeah, I was thinking about it the other day when I was watching the footage of Somewhat Damaged and Just Like You Imagined for the 100(ish)time. I really like the production that the NIN camp puts into their live dvds, I also like how great the TOIOU project was handled.

EDIT: I don't want to start anything up again but... still waiting on After All is Said and Done.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 06-11-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    KROQ leaked The Perfect Drug months ahead of schedule, Chris Schulte created a website with a realaudio copy of the leak encouraging radio stations to play his leaked copy, John Malm threw a shit fit, MTV news reported that the song was "re-mixed" for the release, and I taped a copy of the terrible-quality realaudio rip and I listened to that tape over and over and over... if I recall correctly, this all happened around Thanksgiving, when I was visiting my grandmother in Denver.
    Funny how almost the exact same thing happened in 2005 (though Malm was obviously out of the picture).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I remember hearing TPD, pre-Lost Highway, with a totally different drum sound in the bridge, could that be this? Does the leaked terrible-quality realaudio rip still exist? I had been convinced that I had imagined the whole thing.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Would love to hear that leak. Its not on YouTube.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    IIRC the leak is exactly the same as the final version

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The original leaked .rm file actually got uploaded on the old ETS

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Yeah, KROQ played it on Fri., Nov. 22, 1996:

https://groups.google.com/group/alt....24b02111026ae0

It was digitized into the infamous RealAudio file and uploaded to the Internet on Nov. 26:

https://groups.google.com/group/alt....97e53e242c4197

The soundtrack was released in January.
    Here's the original RA file, dug out from the archives. You can play it with VLC:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ygzitz3iznm

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Still waiting patiently for the "Trent and a piano" tour...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    The original leaked .rm file actually got uploaded on the old ETS
    Shit, I remember RealPlayer. Does that shit still exist?!
    *Google*
    It does! I'm going to go download it so I can listen to shitty quality audio on a bloated, resource-hog of a program!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Just found out that one of El-P's instrumental discs, "Weareallgoingtoburninhellmegamixx2 / Eat My Garbage", has a track called "I Just Made You Up". Of course, the title rang a bell. The track is a distorted, shortened and pitch-shifted version of El-P's remix for "Only", complete with Trent falsettos. It also has an introduction from some dude. What's the point of placing an intro to the album when you're at track 9? Oh, well.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Beside You In Time - Right Now - In my DVD player.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Just found out that one of El-P's instrumental discs, "Weareallgoingtoburninhellmegamixx2 / Eat My Garbage", has a track called "I Just Made You Up". Of course, the title rang a bell. The track is a distorted, shortened and pitch-shifted version of El-P's remix for "Only", complete with Trent falsettos. It also has an introduction from some dude. What's the point of placing an intro to the album when you're at track 9? Oh, well.
    I love that song! I sort of think of it as a remix demo. Also that's Aesop Rock doin the intro as a lot of the songs on that record have don't they? Anyway El rules and does that song.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruised View Post
    that's Aesop Rock doin the intro as a lot of the songs on that record have don't they?
    Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't listen to the whole album, so I had no idea. I was just caught by I Just Made You Up's title.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Yeah, I always wondered if this was an alternative unused version of his remix. The shout outs between the songs are common for his "megamixxx"-series. Even his ex-girl did one: "This is El-P's ex-girlfriend and you're listening to the Wereallgoingtoburninhellmeggamixxx2. Go fuck yourself, Jamie!"

Track 16 contains a few more remixes. The one of a Mars Volta song is really good. Also The Doors got a remix-treatment as well.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Recently listening to Ghosts only makes sense to me when I randomize its tracklist and don't make a goal to listen to the entire thing. It's been too many times when I started from 1G-I and continued in order only to be distracted somewhere in the middle of Vol.II and never finish. So annoying.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    ^ I have a 512 MB mp3 player. It's old.

But the reason I'm using that is that I can put a limited amount of music on it. So it tends to repeat itself from start to finish. Best way to listen to Ghosts or TGWTDT imo. Put that on your ipod and just listen and walk.